Omission IPA (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission IPA (Gluten-Free)Omission IPA (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Rivenin on 06-28-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 132 | Reviews: 28
Reviews by BryanCarey:
3.47/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Omission IPA is a gluten free beer with a golden color and a perfectly clear body. Poured into a glass, the head of white colored foam looks nice and it does leave some lacing. The aroma is one of citrus and a touch of pine. Based on appearance, the beer makes a positive first impression.

Now, for the taste. This beer has a flavor that follows from its nose, and that means the taste of citrus and pine shine through. The dominant citrus flavor is grapefruit and there is enough of a caramel- malt backbone that the beer manages to remain nicely balanced compared to other northwest IPA brews.

This IPA is a pleasant surprise in that it tastes like a real beer should. I say that because other gluten- free beers do not really taste like beer, and that is in large part due to their not using barley malt in the brewing process. Omission IPA does use barely malt, along with other authentic ingredients. It is VERY clean for an IPA and its clarity is like few I have ever seen.

Even if you are not someone who requires gluten free food and drink in your diet, this is definitely a beer worth trying. It may not measure up to some of the all- time great IPA, but it is certainly above average and deserving of a sampling if you get the chance.

3.09/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle, dated 2/19/14. Pours hazy golden orange with a big rocky white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuity honey malts with some fruit and peppery piney hops.

The flavor is biscuity honey malts with some light fruit and strong grassy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

Overall, it doesn't taste gluten free and has good bitterness. I just don't care for the hop profile much.

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I swiped one from my gluten free girlfriend after making a 2.5 hour sojourn to acquire a case. Pouring into a pint glass. There is no cloudyness, and a good golden color. Poured out with more head than I expected for a gluten free beer. Smells slightly of fruit and a touch of hops, but quite underwhelming. The taste is pretty good, the hops comes through and it feels a touch heavier than I thought it would just by looking at it. For her it's probably amazing, more balanced and tastier than other gluten free beers that I've tried.

4.01/5  rDev +16.6%

I do not have celiac disease. However, time and time again i like to try gluten free beers to change things up. I've had the pale and the lager, both were decent beers. So i saw this at the bottle shop and decided to give it a go... It by far is one of the best gluten free beers i've ever had (which is about a dozen or so now, so take it with a grain of salt). But this is one i would order time and time again even though i'm not a "wheat free" person.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Excellent IPA. HARD to believe it is gluten free. Widmer Brothers Brewing Company must perform some magic to remove the gluten. Does NOT taste like sorghum based gf beers. Well hopped as an IPA should be. Even suitable for non gf people!

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought this at Trader Joes just for a review. No real interest in the gluten free aspect.
Pours crystal clear gold with about three fingers of long lasting white head. Plenty of lacing as well.
Smell is piney and sweet bready malt.
Taste is clean pine and light grapefruit with some sweet malt backing and a hint of yeast. I would say the pine takes the lead here.
Mouthfeel is excellent though on the lighter side. Carbonation is a bit more than normal. Mildly dry and a pine dominated bitter finish.
Overall a fine IPA. I had pretty low expectations going in to this review and was pleasantly surprised.
Not one I will buy again because there are so many outstanding IPAs available but I would not turn one down if offered. The gluten free folks should not feel deprived if this is all they can drink. Would have liked a bit more fruitiness in the flavor profile.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy amber yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short white head that quickly died down, leaving only bits of lacing on the surface, a collar around the edge, and some bubbles coating the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose along with notes of sweet toasted and caramel malts and hints of pine.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the toasted and caramel malts are a little stronger and lend some sweetness, although this is contrasted by a light to moderate amount of bitterness. Stronger notes of pine resin hops are present in the finish.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. Only faints amount of bitterness are perceptible.
O: This beer tastes a little muted compared to other IPAs but is very good for being something that is gluten-free. The beer has a very good balance between the malts and hops.

3.21/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Fruity notes with full body. Not all that smooth with imbalanced hops.

Mildly chill hazed orange colored beer with a small white colored head. This fits the color IPA Orange.

Smells mildly sweet and hoppy. Scents mostly of grapefruit.

Starts out bitter with the taste of grapefruit. Dry tasting with a strong tea flavor. Some bitter orange comes through at the end.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an OK IPA and outstanding for a gluten free beer.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

I've always been a fan of the IPA style and living with a person who has had a diagnosis of celiac disease at a young age it's been somewhere between tough and downright impossible to share my taste with her given that every other celiac friendly beer on the market is lager style sorghum beers. To say I was happy to find a GF IPA on the shelf would be a massive understatement.

Now what has to be understood about the Omission brand in general is that it's a bit controversial amongst Gluten Free people because of the production process. Anyone who is severely intolerant to gluten should try this one with caution given that the gluten is filtered out after brewing and not completely avoided. They claim to have reduced it to the necessary level of less than 20 ppm but take it with a grain of salt and do your due diligence. All that said I can report that my fiancee has had no celiac related issues with any of the Omission beers after several purchases but YMMV.

As for the beer itself I can happily say that it definitely lives up to the style. The appearance is the weakest part of the presentation with a very light body compared to that of other IPA's. This is almost certainly a result of the filtering process and shouldn't be held against it given the added step required to allow this to be consumed by it's target market. However, very nice head, finger and a half to 2 though it does disappear pretty quickly.

The smell is very heavy on hops, it's clear it's been dry hopped. Not much else on the nose unfortunately though the cascade hops do have a pleasant enough aroma to forgive that and compared to other American IPA's it's not all that uncommon.

I have to admit that I handed it over after about a quarter of a glass to my very happy significant other who absolutely loved it in comparison to the beers she usually has access to. That said, from my time with it I can declare it a very standard, if uninteresting, IPA. Cascade hops steal the show early on with more pine than citrus. There is faint grapefruit taste but it's no where near as easy to locate as in a Dogfish Head 60 minute or Long Trail.

Overall the biggest criticism I could levy against it is that it really doesn't define itself really well from the pack though that might be by design and not a fault of brewers. That said this is hands down the best Gluten Free beer I or my fiancee have had and would be given a perfect 5 on that metric alone. It's finally allowed me to explain to her what it is I look for in a beer and to help her expand her palate beyond her brief experiences with mass appeal brands like Bud Light prior to diagnosis and sorghum beers following. Will be bringing home 6 packs for the foreseeable future and will not complain at all if I have to drink a few myself.

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought this for the better half, as she is GF, and drink one out of curiosity.

A - beer

S - Piney hops, a little malt peeking through.

T - Piney hops up front, enough malt to balance the hops. Not very citrusy. Good and bitter but not overpowering by any means.

M - good mouthfeel. A good blend of body, carbonation and bitterness. not thick or watery. Malt sweetness adds enough to balance the bitterness.

O - I rate this beer with GF in mind. The other couple GF beers ive had I wouldnt drink again, but I would drink Omission IPA again. I wouldnt drink it over a non-GF IPA, but considering the poor choices that GF beer drinkers currently have, this one is pretty good. Its commonly pretty old as the market isnt very big, so check the bottle date before blindly buying 9 month old hoppy beer and wondering why it tastes crappy. I got a 2 month old bottle for this review and was pleasantly surprised. Dont expect Heady or anything, but its very acceptable. It deserves more than the 79 score that it currently has considering the other GF options.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I should feel crappy more often! I felt really nauseous and under the weather on Friday and decided not to stir out of my humble abode over the weekend. Fortunately for me, I have a massive backlog of beer awaiting review and I turned to the gluten-free beers in the hopes that I would feel better. It seems to have worked as I have run through a bunch of them and I feel somewhat better, if not perfect.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]"

And so, for my last beer of the inaugural G-F Weekend here at Chez Woody, I Pop!ped the cap and initiated a relatively moderate pour. I still got a finger-and-a-half of foamy, bone-white head that fell to wisps as I typed. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity. Of course, my friends Midas, Mammon and Croesus stopped by for a taste so I took the opportunity to take a sniff. Frankly, it smelled a whole lot like the Pale Ale. It was minty and grassy, but not really what I would consider an IPA. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a hoppier presence on the tongue than it did on the nose. How is that possible? I know that aroma hops can mislead versus taste, but how can bittering hops mislead versus nose? Maybe I am just getting fatigued after all of these G-F beers. I have to admit that as a hophead, this was quite appealing and would merit another recommendation to G-F beer drinkers. Finish was bitter, dry and just as I like them.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The green label is IPA style at 6.7%, with a cloudy light body and a quite bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

2.89/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This might have gotten a better rating if they just called it a pale ale. Not hoppy, not bad, but not hoppy.

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Yikes no flavor in this one.

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%

LOOK: Pours a clear bright orange color with a chill haze and a dense head of white foam. Lacing is left behind and head retention is good. Carbonation is evident by the pour and streams of bubbles rising up.

SMELL: Hoppy, some light malty aromas, wort like, but very beery and has citrus throughout. Orange and grapefruit hop notes are prevalent.

TASTE: The flavor tastes like that of a pale ale, some grain notes and coarse, bitter hop. Very reminiscent of cheap pale ales on the market, except this has had gluten removed. The bottle says "crafted to remove gluten, but still may contain gluten" pretty funny they had to say that. A few beers on the market are now crafted to reduce/remove gluten yet still taste pretty much like normal beer. Clocking in at 6.7% ABV this is a solid brew that doesn't seem to be skimping on ingredients.

FEEL: Full bodied, well carbonated, with a dry hop bite.

OVERALL: For a reduced gluten/gluten free beer this is very good. As an IPA it kind of sucks. We will call it slightly above average all things considered.

3.92/5  rDev +14%

(bottle date: May 07 2014, purchased cold - poured into a balloon)

A: hazy, yellow-amber in color... about a finger-width of gold-tinged white foam, frothy and bubbly in appearance... little bit of sparkly lace leavings up near the top

S: fairly classic orange/lemon citrusy hops with a piney overtone... bit of fresh malt reaching out from underneath... mostly just juicy resins

T: about what the aromas suggest - juicy and dry with smooth malt to balance... lingering alcohol and heavily perfumy, citrus pith-y bitterness in the aftertaste... overbalanced toward the hops... perhaps a core of light bubblegum... the flavor of malt does end up collecting on the front of the palate to where, by the last few sips, it hangs circling as if it had been sitting at the bottom of the glass the whole time and slowly spiraled on in during the last 2-3 sips

M: the body is arguably on the lighter side of medium... kind of a silky flow to it, with the hop tannins and alcohol creating a little friction and lift as it goes through... mild residual gritty resins

O: once again, a beer that a gluten-conscious individual can thoroughly enjoy... its focus is on the pleasing fruity and bitter elements of the hops and its relatively delicate attack

3.52/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle with no date. didn't kniw this was widmer bros when i bought it, not that that's a bad thing...

cloudy pale ipa look, smell is corny, with some fading hops. bitter with a sweet syrupy side, lemongrass, pine, pepper. feel is a crisp enjoyable medium.

good everyday ipa, but i would take saga any day over this

3.22/5  rDev -6.4%

My first thought on drinking this was "Hmm... This is an IPA, right??". Turns out, its Gluten-free. Turns out, not so bad. The taste is very much lacking the bite of a good IPA but, for a gluten-free brew, its better than expected. Then again, I'm mostly comparing it to O'Douls... the Cleveland Show of beers.

Ref: Though "Family Guy" was such a hit, its spin-off - The Cleveland Show - was not what everyone had expected from it's predecessor. Only sort of ok, but not nearly as good as the real thing.

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%

If you have to lay off gluten this is one you should try. Nice crisp IPA hoppy style but the taste is petty simple.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, citrus zest, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus candy and herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable but it seems like they made it extra bitter to cover the gluten free taste.

4.19/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I rated this beer at a 4.5 which is high based only on taste, aroma, and mouthfeel, etc. It is a quality IPA that I wouldn't hesitate to order or drink at home but wouldn't be my first choice if others were offered, all things being equal. I'd take a Two Hearted, Racer 5, Avery IPA, Stone IPA, Ranger, etc before it but those are excellent beers and I put this beer in the same league if not at the top of the list.

Having recently been diagnosed with Celiac and figuring out that just about ALL beers are the worst for my condition (gluten intolerance) I can say that this is the best beer in the entire gluten free world and I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone with a similar condition. Be aware that this beer has the gluten filtered and there is some gluten in it but not enough to cause me any trouble.

As for the taste, I find it slightly over bitter. The hop nose is present at first but fades quickly. The carbonation is intense and slightly overly so which detracts from the mouthfeel. The color is a nice deep gold that is crystal clear - likely due to the filtering process.

I'm so happy to have this beer available. It's a great IPA on it's own and THE BEST gluten free beer.

3.17/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy golden yellow with white soapy head. Lace rings and moderate carbonation

Aroma: Lemon, tea, honey, and bread

Taste: Citrusy hops, bitter/astringent. Tea-like.

Mouthfeel: Malty and watery.

Overall: Interesting and drinkable. Not bad for gluten free

3.57/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A decent refreshing ale, but not really what I'd expect from an IPA - hoppy aroma is almost non-existent, flavor lacks that crisp bite that a good IPA brings. However, if you are limited to beers without gluten, this is a good choice.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Served in a pint.

Appearance: A semi-hazy gold color. Light to medium bubbles...the head is white rising to maybe 1/4" off the body, settles to nada after one sip.

Smell: Bland hop scent, light and do mean light floral scent.

Taste: Strong sour hoppy feel. Not truly complex, has a salty feel to it. Almost like sea salt over pretzels. Definitely bitter beginning with a smooth finish at the end.

Mouth: Medium carbonation, light after-taste.

Overall: This is my second gluten-free beer I reviewed. I personally think it's better than some regular IPA's that are out on the market. It lacks that hard scent and strong after-taste but keep in mind it still delivers a lot subtracting the original components for an IPA. I say for any of you on gluten-free diets I would say grab it. Salud!

to view more.