Black Honey - The Blue Ridge Brewing Co.

Black Honey

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: goindownsouth on 08-17-2008

Reviews by PhillyStyle:
4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a snifter (sign in the brew pub indicated 10.5% ABV).

Wow...what a beer! I went to Blue Ridge Brewing specifically for this beer and I was not dissappointed. It served up a deep rich black with what appeared to be some hints of red around the edges. The beer was served with a thick brown head. The aroma was good, a nice thick malt, just what you would expect from a stout. The taste was very good. Thick malt with just a hint of sweetness, it really just took the bite off of the heavy malt flavor. The beer was very well balanced, thick, smooth and creamy with very little carbonation. Except for the high ABV, it is highly drinkable. I put away two in no time and my head was spinning. I highly recommend this beer to anyone, especially to beer lovers who could appreciate it.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Stopped in tonight specifically for this one as I just had to try it. They were serving a small glass in a snifter, and a large in a pint glass. I went for the large at 3.75 it was a steal. Consumed on 08/23/2008.

The pour was awesome, with a rich dark black, completely opaque with a nice tan head about an inch across the top. Excellent retention let this sit around for a good long while as the side glass lace thoroughly coated the inside of the glass.

Big notes here of roasted malts, smokey with a good bit of sweetness laying in the back. Some light chococlate notes, hints of maybe vanilla in there, very well defined aroma. The flavor blew me away, hats off to Jay on this one. Rich and thick, with excellent carbonation and a smooth creamy body. Started with a rush of roasted malts, rich, with hints of coffee and chocolate mixed in throughout. Very light sweetness in here now, defintly honey, but hints of vanilla interspersed with it. Soo friggin drinkable, wow, this was going down like candy to me. Rich caramel laced roasted malt finsih let it dry a touch but really just coated the mouth leaving the flavor to dangle in there for a good few minutes.

Overall I am really impressed here. Easily the best thing I have seen come out of Blue Ridge, and to be honest, one of the better stouts I have had recently. This was a very solid effort and I would love to see it around more often. This in my opinion is the direction they need to go in. It was innovative and very well pulled off. I would love to see more people get to try this. Kudos Jay this is very well done man.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to mikesgroove for dropping this amazing brew on me for Growling at the Moon.

A: Beautiful deep black pour with a rich brown head that fades slowly.

S: The smell is a little faint, but provides a nice precursor for what's to come. Chocolately, roasted, maple scents jump out at me.

T: What can I say? Phenomenal. This is the most rich, roasted goodness I have ever tasted in a beer. The aftertaste is just euphoric. It's perfect. Along for the ride are hints of chocolate, maple, honey, smoke, and a little alcohol.

M: This beer has a real nice full, thick, creamy feel that is just a pleasure to sip and savor slowly.

D: At 11%ABV I have to label this a sipper, but it's not stopping me from drinking the whole growler myself tonight...I simply can't stop.

Thanks again Mike!

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap on my first visit to Blue Ridge.

I ordered a sampler and included this beer in the sampling. It was pitch black and had a roasted malt smell and taste with very little head...ever. I tasted this first and deiced to let it sit aside and let it warm a bit and that was a good choice. :)

A very good stout and I will be going back for more in a few weeks. :)

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

As I poured it into the class it took the appearance of coffee with a toffee head. mmmm. It smelled slightly of chocolate and roasted malts. I dont usually go crazy about stouts but this one is special. the taste is wonderful, roasted malt, cocoa, ant toasted nuts with a splash of honey. The alcohol really warms you up, wouldnt want to do a lengthy session with this one unless you have a DD. Its somewhat thick, I like to let it sit in my mouth and let it marinate my taste buds. Definately a winter brew in my opinion. Drank a growler with a buddy then bought another to take with us. I recommend this brew to any stout lover... Would be great with smoked gouda i bet

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A very nice offering, comsumed vom Fass, on 08.17.08.

Deep and rich in appearance, there was little if any carbonation in the snifter. Aromas thick of roasted matly goodness with a good and rich sweet back note from the 5 gallons of local honey used in this batch. Smooth on the palate, this was hardly a harsh or overly thick brew, despite the alcohol or ingredients. A stellar offering from Jay. Well done.

Black Honey from The Blue Ridge Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.