Little Willie Barleywine - The Blue Ridge Brewing Co.

Little Willie Barleywine

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: PDXHops on 12-16-2009

Reviews by paultierney1:
4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Sorry folks -- today (March 10, 2010) I just had the last tulip of this "dangerously drinkable" barley wine (to quote the previous reviewer). I was told that it won't be back at the Blue Ridge in downtown Greenville for a while. Too bad for you! I found out it was gone when I tried to order a second one. What a disappointment. But then I thought of the next guy, who was not going to get any at all! The smell is wonderful. Right away, I knew it was going to be super hoppy. It was, but the strong bitterness just disappears after a moment and is followed by the smoothest finish imaginable. Couldn't possibly be over 11%! Must be a typo. It is considerably more expensive than the other brews at Blue Ridge, but what a treat. Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at the source into a snifter. Poured a hazy red orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, citrus hop, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and slight citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with low-mild carbonation. Overall this was a very nice Barleywine. Definitely had a good aroma and excellent flavor here. Very well balanced. 11.50%!? Holy crap, I never would have known... There was no alcohol burn anywhere in this brew. Went down really easy and smooth. In my opinion, this is the best brew that I have tried from Blue Ridge to-date and it will probably be very hard to beat by them. Nice job on this one Blue Ridge!

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Thrilled to see the last of this one on tap tonight when we stopped in for dinner. I was afraid I had missed out on it but alas, I am gonna have a good night! Served in a snifter, this one was consumed on 01/02/2009.

The pour was wonderful, rich reddish hues percolate through a medium amber body. Hazy, with a sticky and thick head of white coming up and over the top of the glass. Lacing coats the sides and nearly obscures the other side when looking through. Immediate hop notes are present, and with over 100 IBU, not a bit suprised. Mellow though with nice hints of candied sugar and a touch of a medicinal element to it before it hits room temperature. At this point it just becomes wonderfully hoppy and sweet. Ok, this is where it gets intresting, this thing is over 11% but there is no hotness, no hint of alcohol, nothing in the flavor, Dangerously drinkable as I make my way through the glass. Wonderful hop notes hit the front of the tongue but are balanced perfectly and it really has a very fresh barleywine flavor without being hot, a remarkable feat in of itself. Smooth, dry finish leaves me looking for another sip right away.

Overall what can I say. My first trip into Blue Ridge in a long time is rewarded with a fantastic offering. This is surely enough to keep me coming back.

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

Seasonal offering from Blue Ridge, on tap in a snifter. Enjoyed several of these over the last few weeks.

Pours a slightly hazy reddish amber with a thick and frothy cream-colored head. Retention is excellent and loads of fluffy/sticky lacing is left behind. A sight to behold.

The first sniff and the last swallow are punctuated with a sticky 1-2 combo of earthy and leafy hops. In between are strong caramel malt and honey sweetness, a bit of tobacco, a hint of smoke, and strong undercurrent of bitterness (110 IBUs, says the menu) that balances things out nicely. Alcohol is well hidden. With no space available for extended aging, it speaks well of the brewer's skill that the flavors are so well integrated in a barleywine this fresh.

Overall impression: A very nice beer that really surprised me. Recommended for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Little Willie Barleywine from The Blue Ridge Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.