Pink Killer - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Pink KillerPink Killer

to view more.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 61
Reviews by OWSLEY069:
3.08/5  rDev +18%

Pours a pink-ish to light orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary, grapefruits and orange like citrus. In the taste, well it is a bit sugary, small tartness of citrus. A smooth and med to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a sugary citrus in the aftertaste. To sugary, I get what they are doing, but overly sweet.

4.19/5  rDev +60.5%

Drank on-tap at Delirium in Brussels

I have to say up front that I don't normally drink fruit beers, especially ones w/the word "pink" in the name. However, Delirium's menu gave this a strong recommendation, so I gave her a go.

Man, was I pleasantly surprised. I spent two weeks back-packing throughout Europe, and this beer made the strongest impression on me.

A - pink-ish, with tiny bits of grapefruit floating in it. That's not a bad thing, but took some getting used to.

S - grapefruit, but not at all in the hoppy way we beer geeks are used to.

T - grapefruit all the way. Not too much. Do you like the taste of grapefruit? If so, you'll probably like this. If not, stay the hell away. It was a warm night, which probably helped.

M - average. Nothing all that notable.

D - excellent. I could have had more, but had to go.

Final note: I found a bottle of this stuff in Switzerland and pounced on it. Can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't as good. Certainly not the "worst beer I've ever had" as others here have said. If you have a choice b/t tap and bottle, go tap all the way. I can only guess that this stuff doesn't hold up well w/travel, as everyone who had it here in the US seems to revile it.

4.12/5  rDev +57.9%

Excellent Wit, with a very unique grapefruit flavor. I had this at the beginning of the night, so the grapefruit seemed rather strong for my taste. However, later on, I had another, and the grapefruit meshed very nicely with the slight spiciness. Creamy and beautiful in the mouth, with a decent head. Overall, a great beer.

1.46/5  rDev -44.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours with the fizzy sound of a soda pop and a hazy glowing ruby orange body with a pink bubblegum head that is soon gone. There are lots of tiny bubbles that race up the sides of the glass.
S- The smell of hair permanent and chemical fruit is strong and covers all other aromas that might be in there.
T- This beer has a flavor of cough syrup with medicinal coriander and camphor quality. The finish is a medicinal grapefruit quality with a cough drop finish that lingers.
M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full fizz an alcohol cough syrup heat on the exhale after each sip.
D- This beer is a mess. I didn't get any flavors that might resemble malt or hops or yeast out of it. Everything tasted artificial and chemical.

3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

I obtained this bottle from a Belgian beer website. I thought it would be interesting to try because of the name and the obvious ingredient, pink grapefruit. This beer poured a orangish, pink color with active carbonation and a light pnk head. The killer has a big aroma of grapefruit and some malty sweetness. The taste is an odd syrupy grapefruit taste that is interesting but not the kind of beer that I would sit down and have a few of.

3.55/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer has suffered lots of abuse from people who can't take it seriously. So I had to at least see what all the fuss was about.

The head is surprisingly un-pink, but a bubbly sea-foam white, but with poor retention. The color is a dirty orange with a slight red tint.

The aroma is strong, smelling exactly like newly-sliced pink grapefruit, and in this department it does its job well. There's no question what this beer is all about with one simple whiff. Heavy on the perfume side of things, it's a nice smell, but a one-trick pony with no character other than that one defining aroma.

Flavor-wise, it's actually better than expected, and better than my initial sip of a couple weeks ago. It's well-done and achieves what it sets out to do. But who demanded grapefruit-flavored beer anyway? It gets some credit for tasting more natural than artificial, but the Fruit Stripe-gum flavor can be a bit cloying after awhile. (Hint: sip it and sip it slow.) Fellow BA melbatoast93 was with me at the Silly brewery when I first tried this, and he rightly nailed the flavor as resembling Fruit Loops cereal.

Mouthfeel is luckily not overly-fizzy, which could seriously hurt this beer. It maintains a succulent creaminess that's quite enjoyable.

Heck, as the glass empties, I find myself being strangely attracted to this Fruit Loopy concoction. Not something I'd want every day, but a relatively harmless novelty that's actually not as bad as some have made it out to be.

1.12/5  rDev -57.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass. Appearance is the strong suit of the beer, as it is an interesting pinkish orange with some haziness. Every other aspect of the beer is tainted by the fact that it smells and tastes like ammonia and medicine with some grapefruit thrown in. I managed to finish my half of the bottle, but that was enough for me. Not recommended.

1.55/5  rDev -40.6%

Brew made with coriander, orange peels and grapefruit juice.

Pours a clear orange amber with a nice white head that quickly fades.

Nose is wonderful - pure grapefruit/lemon citrus. Doesn't smell like beer; smells like lemonaid but so what? Smells good (but..not beer so graded down a bit..no real "beer" character).

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Balance is so far "out there" that one can't really talk about balance for this one.

Flavors are so tough to handle that it makes drinking this (even tasting it) rather difficult. Tastes live a sugar sweet grapefruit soda that someone poured a beer into. Hard to drink; hard to catagorize and not very appealing. No idea what you drink it with or why, really, you'd drink it at all. Super sweet; out of balance and with wacked out and weird flavors.

Very different, if nothing else. A good candidate for a tasting of weird/crazy looking bottles with weird beer!

This is one on which you might wish to pass. Not really a beer drinking experience as much as a "weird soda" experience. Just my opinion.

4.43/5  rDev +69.7%

Very Suprised. Not a Fruit Beer fan. This beer was very light (like a normal wit) with a great grapefruit finish. A little sweeeter than I normally like, but great for a summer beer. I tried at Delirium Cafe in Brussels and I had to order some online when i got back home.

3.87/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy pinkish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with grapefruit, coriander is also present. Taste is also grapefruit up front, some coriander, a bit sour, a touch of bitterness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable beer.

1.24/5  rDev -52.5%

Bottle: Poured a pink (very similar to grapefruit juice) beer with medium head and no real retention. Grapefruit is the only thing that is discernable. Taste is utterly horrible with some chemical juice that has very little resemblance to actual grapefruit. Another bad syrup base beer from Belgian. You gotta wonder how this county can produce some of the finest beer and the world and also such crap beer as that one.

4.34/5  rDev +66.3%

Pours out a really clouldy pink grapefruit color with 1/2 finger of white suds and not a lot of lacing.
Smell is a wonderful sour fruit smell. Kinda like cherry and grapefruit rind mixed together with a sour tart thrown in for good measure.
Taste is very odd. The first flavor is sweet perfume and dry talcom powder. Sugar is here and then a sweet fruityness finishes it off.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky which is just fine by me. The sticky stays with the palate for a long time.
Drinkability is good here because while it might be a little sweet and sticky, it's very refreshing and would probably pare well with chocolate and Icecream.

2.88/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured a hazy pink with a decent head. Smell was over the top fruity. The taste was as well. For some reason I thought this would have been a bit more mellow. Slight citrus in the finish, but all I really could get out of this was the way over the top grapefruit. Won't be going back to this anytime soon.

1.9/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance: Cloudy pink with no head.

Smell: best part of this beer. Sweet cirtus aromas.

Taste: Nailpolish. Pepto Bismol. Horrible horrible horrible. STAY AWAY.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel anything due to the horrible horrible taste.

Overall: While it smells appetizing, the taste is artificial. Avoid.

3.82/5  rDev +46.4%

11.2oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber with some strong leanings towards orange. It is slightly hazy. It is capped with an inch of off white head.

S - Fresh grapefruit and oranges. Citrus galore.

T - The taste matches the aroma. Tons of citrus with the focus on grapefruit. A lot sweeter than I would have thought.

M - Thin

O - It's actually quite refreshing after mowing the lawn. It is overtly sweet so I don't think I could drink a bunch.

2.43/5  rDev -6.9%

Tap at Lucky Baldwin's.

Muddy pinkish orange pour. Overly sweet. Skittles and fruit loops (credit to the bartender for this comparison - it is rather accurate). Artificial grapefruit and guava flavors. Watery body. Epitome of bad, for me at least. The only thing that could make this good (maybe..), would be a sour fermentation. Could be interesting that way. As is, not recommended.

1.43/5  rDev -45.2%

Had on tap at Tulune's. Poured a grapefruitish color (who would've thought) with a decent creamy head. The smell was very, very fake. The taste was ridiuclously bland, unappealing, unbalanced and disgusting. The grapefruit flavor was very sharp and very fake, was not balanced by anything, and left the mouth with one of the more horrible aftertastes I've ever had. Skip this one.

1.54/5  rDev -41%

Beer brewed with spices and grapefruit. I love spiced beers. I love grapefruit. I love grapefruity hops. So, it stands to reason I would love this beer. Alas, oh so wrong. Poured a otherworldly glowing pink. Syrupy bittersweet with overpowering spice and a sickly-sweet artificial sweetener finish. I valiantly stuck with it for half the bottle, and then resigned the remainder to the sink. Ghastly.

1.56/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2 oz bottle courtesy of Dajtai007 against his better judgment, he warned me not to take this with me! I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I cant say I have ever seen a pink belt/collar for the neck label before, thats pretty…well…silly. Pours a vibrant pink-orange hue with lots of cloudiness and a small white head. Not much retention or lacing.

Wow, the coriander and grapefruit are huge! Unfortunately the combination smells like cleaning up puke with some harsh, solventy carpet cleaner the morning after a bangin high school party while the parents are out of town. I dont know if I should drink this, or clean the countertops with it.

Taste is overly sweet, undercarbonated and downright nasty. Its been awhile since I had a drainpour, the garbage disposal must have been whispering sweet nothings in my ear as I went to the beer fridge. The idea is not a bad one, grapefruit and coriander...why not? It just seems that these flavors clash like plaid and diagonal stripes. Thank you Brasserie de Silly, now I wont ever get the inkling to try this combo in a homebrew batch. Yiz to the uck.

2.34/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Glowing light red-orange tangerine color with a slight pink hue. Average sized, very creamy, froth head that is white with a pink hue. Very good retention that settles into a thick creamy lacing.

S - Strong grapefruit cough syrup type of aroma. Some hints of mango and other fruit and citrus rind. Sweet and medicinal aroma is strong with grapefruit prominent.

T - Similar to the nose. At first there is a strong medicinal/cough syrup type of flavor. Then some more citrus rind flavor builds up to a strong grapefruit taste. General sweetness is also present. Right before the finish there is a nice balanced grapefruit taste that taste a lot like a real grapefruit. Unfortunately on the finish the medicinal/cough syrup taste starts to show up again.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation. Slightly sticky and warming feel.

D - Too sweet and medicine like for me to really enjoy drinking or to want another. Not as bad as some others say, and I didn't have trouble finishing the bottle, it just wasn't that enjoyable to drink.

Notes: Best before 21/10/10. I really do like grapefruit, so I was hopeful for this beer. Unfortunately it is too medicinal and not enough real grapefruit flavor. That real grapefruit taste right before the end (and sometimes it would linger) was nice, but there was just too little of it. Somewhat like an alcopop. Not really all that enjoyable, even for me, a grapefruit fan.

3.1/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Hazy pinkish-orange with no head. Looks like a soda.

S: There is a slight tea-like spice aroma and citrus.

T: There is a coriander and sweet citrus peel flavor.

M: Smooth and silky mouthfeel. very nice.

O: It's interesting. Way too sweet, but the flavor is ok.

2.04/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

A: Copper pink and cloudy with red spots within, little spiral of bubbles in the middle of the glass, 4 fingers of pinkish tinged white head that fades relatively fast.

S: Spicy cloves and citrus fruit, perhaps grapefruit but floral and gingerbread like. Think roses and ginger.

T: Rather underwhelming, the watery texture hits you first saying ‘bomb’ with a slightly sweet, ginger kissed, floral kids artificial drink tinged aroma. Then it just finishes flat.

M: Watery with a strange clinging to the tongue with the aftertaste, rather like artificial sweetener.

O: Will give it 5 out of 10. I should have known by the label, but its Belgian, and not to many new choices in my city so I got it. It is what it is.

2.38/5  rDev -8.8%

Well it's pink! Pink colored beer with a lighter pink colored head.

Smell is sweet and candy like. Smells of grapefruit yes but like the Jolly Rancher candy version of grapefruit. I also get some orange smell from this one.

Starts out very sweet with a grapefruit candy flavor. This has an orange taste to it also. Lingering sweetness in the aftertaste. Yuck do not like this!

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is a genuine glass full of crap! If you are looking for a grapefruit candy flavored beer then this is for you and NOT me!

1.7/5  rDev -34.9%

A-The color of grapefruit juice mixed with a mediocre witbier, which is essentially what this is.

S-Sticky sweet, grapefruit juice, coriander, orange peel. It could use something peppery or dry to cut the sweetness.

T-Gross. I usually try not to judge a beer by its label, but this one was dead on. Like the label, this beer is garish, juvenile, and an underdeveloped concept. Very sweet, with a thin wave of wheat and coriander underneath. I kept waiting for something to come in at the end and dry out the finish, like you would expect from any decent witbier, but it never came.

M-Thin, mouth coating sweet. Like fruit juice from concentrate.

D-I will never drink this again.

This might be the worst beer I've ever tasted. It tasted like if you mixed some sort of wit with that bright pink grapefruit juice you buy for like a dollar a gallon. As another reviewer notes, it tastes artificial. Entirely too sweet to be grapefruit. Horrendous. My manager suggested that this brewery's beers are often quite sweet and perhaps it's the yeast being used. The smell was intensely fruity. Sweet, fruity. Not citrus. Poured a hazy pink hue. Keep the label and call it Pink Dogsh*t.

to view more.
Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.