Pink Killer - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Pink KillerPink Killer

poor

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: crookedhalo on 12-11-2004

Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 61
4.56/5  rDev +74.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a bottle at the Delirium Café in Brussels.

Aroma: Can’t do better than freshly peeled grapefruit, but there is a strong citric perfume aroma that I really like! Maybe some orange peel as well, but the bottle talks up the pink grapefruit (hence the name).

Appearance: Hazy light orange with a thin white cover that lasts about half way through.

Flavor: Mellow, but a firm citric rind, ok, grapefruit rind note and some mild coriander.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, crisp clean finish,

Overall Impression: A very pleasant and refreshing beer! I’m having to guess that it doesn’t travel well, so I can’t recommend it to folks here in the US, but closer to the source this just rocked!

4.43/5  rDev +69.7%

Very Suprised. Not a Fruit Beer fan. This beer was very light (like a normal wit) with a great grapefruit finish. A little sweeeter than I normally like, but great for a summer beer. I tried at Delirium Cafe in Brussels and I had to order some online when i got back home.

4.34/5  rDev +66.3%

Pours out a really clouldy pink grapefruit color with 1/2 finger of white suds and not a lot of lacing.
Smell is a wonderful sour fruit smell. Kinda like cherry and grapefruit rind mixed together with a sour tart thrown in for good measure.
Taste is very odd. The first flavor is sweet perfume and dry talcom powder. Sugar is here and then a sweet fruityness finishes it off.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky which is just fine by me. The sticky stays with the palate for a long time.
Drinkability is good here because while it might be a little sweet and sticky, it's very refreshing and would probably pare well with chocolate and Icecream.

4.19/5  rDev +60.5%

Drank on-tap at Delirium in Brussels

I have to say up front that I don't normally drink fruit beers, especially ones w/the word "pink" in the name. However, Delirium's menu gave this a strong recommendation, so I gave her a go.

Man, was I pleasantly surprised. I spent two weeks back-packing throughout Europe, and this beer made the strongest impression on me.

A - pink-ish, with tiny bits of grapefruit floating in it. That's not a bad thing, but took some getting used to.

S - grapefruit, but not at all in the hoppy way we beer geeks are used to.

T - grapefruit all the way. Not too much. Do you like the taste of grapefruit? If so, you'll probably like this. If not, stay the hell away. It was a warm night, which probably helped.

M - average. Nothing all that notable.

D - excellent. I could have had more, but had to go.

Final note: I found a bottle of this stuff in Switzerland and pounced on it. Can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't as good. Certainly not the "worst beer I've ever had" as others here have said. If you have a choice b/t tap and bottle, go tap all the way. I can only guess that this stuff doesn't hold up well w/travel, as everyone who had it here in the US seems to revile it.

4.12/5  rDev +57.9%

Excellent Wit, with a very unique grapefruit flavor. I had this at the beginning of the night, so the grapefruit seemed rather strong for my taste. However, later on, I had another, and the grapefruit meshed very nicely with the slight spiciness. Creamy and beautiful in the mouth, with a decent head. Overall, a great beer.

4.02/5  rDev +54%

Okay, so it's a kinda gimmicky beer, but it's bright pink and fizzy and fun, and seemed worth a try for about three bucks on tap after exchange. (2,80 euro for 25cl on tap at Delirium in Brussels.)

A: Served in logo glass, bright pink-orange, hazy, with a loose, fizzy white head that left a lot of lace.

S: fruity candy tangy grapefruit.

T: fruity sweet candy, with an intensely perfumey essence, slightly acidic and astringent. Really, pretty tasty, and candy-like. Would probably be a nice dessert beer.

M: slightly fizzy and acidic.

D: Overall, a drinkable beer, perhaps too easy, and with all those residual sugars, one can guess at the name from the no doubt killer hangover if you pound through half a dozen or so.

I'm not clear why some think this is a lambic: it's absolutely not, and I've not seen where it's been advertised as one. Perhaps incorrecly at the bar/store they bought it? It's a fruit beer, through and through.

C'mon, it's not unlike drinking a late harvest riesling, or a sweetened kriek or framboise, and pretending it's serious wine/beer. It's a guilty pleasure fruit beer, and that's what it should be reviewed as. Hello, Lindemans, anyone?

3.99/5  rDev +52.9%

Considering the other reviews, I have to guess that this beer does not travel well. I had this one on draft at the Delerium Cafe in Brussels on a day that the temperature was hitting 95F. It was a fine choice.

The appearance was too pink for my taste. But it did have a sparkle to it, almost champagne like.

I love grapefruit and this is billed as a grapefruit beer. The taste was genuine, not syrupy or cloying. No alcopop here; just a unique beer. It did not have a lot of hops, but I wasn't looking for any since I figured the grapefruit was coming from somewhere else. It was absolutely refreshing, considering the weather.

If one understands that this beer is no doubt coming out of the lambic style (although it is not a lambic), then its eccentricities can be appreciated.

I heartily recommend the Delerium Cafe for an afternoon visit. They only have 2004 beers available.

3.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Lucky I live about 5 miles away from the Silly brewery.

Went back on vacation and the beer was the local hit that summer.
Had it every summer.

A - In the Pink Killer glass

S - Fruity, grapefruit flavor is very present and pleasant to drink.

T & M - Very refreshing for the hot summer days. Nothing that would put you under the table. Enjoyable to the palate.

D - Again, I enjoy the beer for a good hot summer refreshment.

Seved: was on tap in all bars and had it in bottle at home.

3.87/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy pinkish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with grapefruit, coriander is also present. Taste is also grapefruit up front, some coriander, a bit sour, a touch of bitterness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable beer.

3.82/5  rDev +46.4%

11.2oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber with some strong leanings towards orange. It is slightly hazy. It is capped with an inch of off white head.

S - Fresh grapefruit and oranges. Citrus galore.

T - The taste matches the aroma. Tons of citrus with the focus on grapefruit. A lot sweeter than I would have thought.

M - Thin

O - It's actually quite refreshing after mowing the lawn. It is overtly sweet so I don't think I could drink a bunch.

3.82/5  rDev +46.4%

Something a little off the beaten track pulled off fairly well. Its a grapefruit flavoured novelty beer, but makes a pretty decent summer patio drink.

Grapefruit flavour is honest, its not overly sweet, or too fizzy, and is well partnered with the beer.

Ruby-pink, short-lived minimal head, no lace.

Fun to drink in a not-too-serious-mood.

3.7/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For sure good for a hot days. Fruity smell, sweet but also bit biter

3.57/5  rDev +36.8%

a: poured a pink lemonade hue with a thin layer of head with a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: the nose was a combination of sweet flowers and a vinegar complex.

T: taste was like drinking a cup of flower flavored beer with slight sage notes as well.

M: meduim body with a decnt amount of carbonation to accent the beers taste.

D: very different and nothing like I've ever had before. I kinda like experimentel beers like this.

3.55/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer has suffered lots of abuse from people who can't take it seriously. So I had to at least see what all the fuss was about.

The head is surprisingly un-pink, but a bubbly sea-foam white, but with poor retention. The color is a dirty orange with a slight red tint.

The aroma is strong, smelling exactly like newly-sliced pink grapefruit, and in this department it does its job well. There's no question what this beer is all about with one simple whiff. Heavy on the perfume side of things, it's a nice smell, but a one-trick pony with no character other than that one defining aroma.

Flavor-wise, it's actually better than expected, and better than my initial sip of a couple weeks ago. It's well-done and achieves what it sets out to do. But who demanded grapefruit-flavored beer anyway? It gets some credit for tasting more natural than artificial, but the Fruit Stripe-gum flavor can be a bit cloying after awhile. (Hint: sip it and sip it slow.) Fellow BA melbatoast93 was with me at the Silly brewery when I first tried this, and he rightly nailed the flavor as resembling Fruit Loops cereal.

Mouthfeel is luckily not overly-fizzy, which could seriously hurt this beer. It maintains a succulent creaminess that's quite enjoyable.

Heck, as the glass empties, I find myself being strangely attracted to this Fruit Loopy concoction. Not something I'd want every day, but a relatively harmless novelty that's actually not as bad as some have made it out to be.

3.45/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy light orange with what appears to be some pink undertones coming through.

Taste is definitely fruity, but really can't narrow it down to a specific one. I think if I just leave it as "fruity" you'll get what I mean. Could be coriander playing with my palate though. I saw another review compare the taste to fruit loops, and I'd have to agree.

I found the beer to be refreshing and not bad overall. Not sure why it hasn't been getting better reviews. I wouldn't seek this one out, but not a bad brew by any means.

3.29/5  rDev +26.1%

This kind of tastes like a average household spice at first with a slight NyQuil aftertaste, however it's worth a try because it has a unique flavor compared to what I've had in the past.

On the downside, the cost is higher compared to the average import.

3.23/5  rDev +23.8%

Strong aroma has a firm overtone of coriander, as well as malty and orange hints. It pours a somewhat hazy amber with a thick and fluffy white head. Flavor has a malty core and a strong coriander overtone, plus subtle sour orange and grapefruit notes. Smooth, firm texture has plenty of fizz. The label and name give it the appearance of a "chick beer" but one for women who are fierce and in control - not wussy, obsolete "damsels in distress." Guys may enjoy it, too!

3.21/5  rDev +23%

Appearance – A golden orange color. Great head, and a fair amount of lacing sticks to the glass. I didn't notice any grapefruit peel floaing in mine as other have noticed. A bit cloudy, but not opaque.

Smell – Smells a lot like grapefruit soda, with an interesting spice that I believe is coriander.

Taste – A sweet grapefruit soda. With spice. No hint of beer or alcohol.

Mouthfeel – Thin, smooth, and sweet. A bit too much like a soda; needs more alcohol.

Drinkability – Fairly easy drinking due to the sweetness. Ok, but not great.

3.2/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Sat in the glass a very crisp reddish with glowing auburn highlights. Had some pink like highlights which are to be expected with the odd and interesting name. The head was minimal and the lacing moderate at best. This sat in the glass crisp and glowing.

S: Aromas were sharp and overly sweet. Grapefruit and sugary candy smell. Can't really say if I loved or hated the nose. I kind of figured it would be something different by the name alone. Has a certain tang that will clean the nasal cavity quickly.

T: I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer. The taste was sharp with juice box like qualities. Sugars and syrup with a heavy grapefruit splash. I had no idea about the ABV until I saw this site. Wish it would have been a higher ABV. However, if you are looking for a grapefruit and citrus like beer this is what you want.

M: Light bodied and crisp.

D: Had this on tap with my girlfriend after a pretty heavy night of eating and drinking. I had no idea the style before we ordered but it did round off the night pretty well. It is a unique beer and while it is not one that I would try again it worked out nicely for that point in time. I can see why there is a wide variety in opinion on this beer.

3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

I obtained this bottle from a Belgian beer website. I thought it would be interesting to try because of the name and the obvious ingredient, pink grapefruit. This beer poured a orangish, pink color with active carbonation and a light pnk head. The killer has a big aroma of grapefruit and some malty sweetness. The taste is an odd syrupy grapefruit taste that is interesting but not the kind of beer that I would sit down and have a few of.

3.1/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Hazy pinkish-orange with no head. Looks like a soda.

S: There is a slight tea-like spice aroma and citrus.

T: There is a coriander and sweet citrus peel flavor.

M: Smooth and silky mouthfeel. very nice.

O: It's interesting. Way too sweet, but the flavor is ok.

3.08/5  rDev +18%

Pours a pink-ish to light orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary, grapefruits and orange like citrus. In the taste, well it is a bit sugary, small tartness of citrus. A smooth and med to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a sugary citrus in the aftertaste. To sugary, I get what they are doing, but overly sweet.

thanks to duff27 for a pour of this beer.

poured into snifter.

Appearance: Yellow bodied beer with a short lived white head.

Smell: Halls menthol cough drops. orange zest, lemon zest, cherry, and mild grapefruit.

Taste: Very sweet. Cherry Ludens cough drops. Corn cobs, swedish fish candy, tangerines, cotton candy, honey. This beer is really different. Is this beer like candy?

Mouthfeel: Thin, yet strangely syrup like. Almost an oxymoron.

Overall: Just a really different beer. It makes you scratch your head to pick the beer apart.

2.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A-Pours a hazy copper. Pours with ~3 fingers of crisp light pink head, which fades slowly into a thin cap.

S- Medicinal and metallic with hints of citrus. Fades to feint after the initial rush, which is a positive.

T- Sugary sweetness kicks things off. Cherry juice, with only a hint of citrus. Light hit of zesty spices. Bitterness minimal. Not awe inspiring, but far more palatable than the appearance and smell had me predicting.

M- Moderate carbonation with a medium-light feel.

D- OK. Easy enough to drink, even if not very compelling overall. You could drink multiples, but I doubt you'd really want to.

Future outlook: Essentially a novelty beer that was purchased with no expectations beyond fulfilling that purpose of novelty. No need to buy again.

2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - bright orange/pink color. Frothy finger of white that fades to an incomplete cover before long.

Aroma - grapefruit juice and coriander. Fairly spicy and refreshing.

Taste - sweet sugary grapefruit syrup. Notes of orange and coriander, but very alcopoppy. Bland finish, not very beery but it does have a faint snap of hops on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - sugary smooth but not excessively so. Carbonated like soda, which is pretty much what this reminds me of, or a wine cooler.

Drinkability - <sigh>...once again, rooked in by marketing and the prospect of a well-known brewery making something interesting. Oh well, I can put away the other one somehow or another.

Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.