Pink Killer - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Pink KillerPink Killer

poor

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: crookedhalo on 12-11-2004)
enelson

07-27-2013 18:41:41 | More by enelson
smlmeyer

Iowa

This might be the worst beer I've ever tasted. It tasted like if you mixed some sort of wit with that bright pink grapefruit juice you buy for like a dollar a gallon. As another reviewer notes, it tastes artificial. Entirely too sweet to be grapefruit. Horrendous. My manager suggested that this brewery's beers are often quite sweet and perhaps it's the yeast being used. The smell was intensely fruity. Sweet, fruity. Not citrus. Poured a hazy pink hue. Keep the label and call it Pink Dogsh*t.

01-15-2014 08:43:36 | More by smlmeyer

thearsenal

11-16-2011 20:17:34 | More by thearsenal
phillybeer7779

1.1/5  rDev -57.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass. Appearance is the strong suit of the beer, as it is an interesting pinkish orange with some haziness. Every other aspect of the beer is tainted by the fact that it smells and tastes like ammonia and medicine with some grapefruit thrown in. I managed to finish my half of the bottle, but that was enough for me. Not recommended.

08-16-2010 15:07:07 | More by phillybeer7779
JackTheRipper

1.1/5  rDev -57.5%

On tap at Sharp Edge Beer Emporium
A: yellow with a faint pinkish tinge to it. Decent layer of suds.
S: Smells almost exactly like a lambic shouldn't smell. No earthy funky aromas, the only thing here is a sickly sweet sugary grapefruit aroma. Very cloying and quite unpleasant. On the plus side, if you concentrate real hard, you can smell something similar to grapefruit.
T: Overly sweet ginger ale taste, this is like a grapefruit with about three pounds of sugar poured on top. Not even a little sour.
M: Dump sugar in your mouth. same effect. Sickeningly sweet with a syrupy feel to it.
D&N: This is a lambic? Horrible. Definitely a chore to finish as much of this as I did. Stay away from this if you have a family history of diabetes. or taste buds. Truly the worst "beer" I've ever had. Overly sweet with no saving graces like a good smell or mouthfeel.

05-13-2005 22:57:23 | More by JackTheRipper
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -53.7%

Bottle: Poured a pink (very similar to grapefruit juice) beer with medium head and no real retention. Grapefruit is the only thing that is discernable. Taste is utterly horrible with some chemical juice that has very little resemblance to actual grapefruit. Another bad syrup base beer from Belgian. You gotta wonder how this county can produce some of the finest beer and the world and also such crap beer as that one.

03-04-2005 18:39:27 | More by Phyl21ca
Jmchrz9

Maryland

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

This beer tastes like candy hearts mixed with medicine. It smells like sour bubblegum or something to that effect. Coloring is actually pink.. which is unusual. Definitely trying to appeal to females with the label, but even as a female.. I thought it was gross. That's all I'm going to say. Not even worth a good review.

02-18-2011 22:15:51 | More by Jmchrz9
marvmoreno

Philippines

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

11-08-2012 07:20:51 | More by marvmoreno
beergeek279

1.33/5  rDev -48.6%

Served in a tulip at Mad Mex Robinson. The color was as pink as you could get, with absolutely no head to speak of. The smell was a overly sweet, almost sickly mango. The taste was malternative-like, with a strong mango flavor covering up any possible trace of what could even be considered beer and an absolutely terrible sickly sweet cloying and almost a horribly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel had nothing to it. As for drinkability, it was a miracle I finished this one so I am NEVER going to have another.

Well, the only value to having this one was that it was half-price at Mad Mex's happy hour (best value in the city, by the way). The bartender saw me gagging down every drink I took of this one and asked me "you're really enjoying this one, aren't you?", took a sample himself and made the exact same face, so I feel I'm not the only one that thinks this downright sucks. I don't know who this was made for...too sickly sweet for beer fans and pansy alcopop drinkers aren't going to pay the outrageous price for this one. Good riddance, and I'd be happy if I never saw this beer anywhere ever again.

06-28-2005 23:35:41 | More by beergeek279
bigfurrynutz

1.35/5  rDev -47.9%

Labeling and title had me try this one at our local gastropub. Sounded good, grapefruit and spices in a wheat beer. This has the taste and aroma of a cleaning product. Definately not a good beer experience. Even the ladies hated it. Safe to pass on the Pink Killer.

09-08-2010 02:06:19 | More by bigfurrynutz
santoslhalper

1.38/5  rDev -46.7%

Had on tap at Tulune's. Poured a grapefruitish color (who would've thought) with a decent creamy head. The smell was very, very fake. The taste was ridiuclously bland, unappealing, unbalanced and disgusting. The grapefruit flavor was very sharp and very fake, was not balanced by anything, and left the mouth with one of the more horrible aftertastes I've ever had. Skip this one.

06-04-2005 11:49:23 | More by santoslhalper
rhoadsrage

1.4/5  rDev -45.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours with the fizzy sound of a soda pop and a hazy glowing ruby orange body with a pink bubblegum head that is soon gone. There are lots of tiny bubbles that race up the sides of the glass.
S- The smell of hair permanent and chemical fruit is strong and covers all other aromas that might be in there.
T- This beer has a flavor of cough syrup with medicinal coriander and camphor quality. The finish is a medicinal grapefruit quality with a cough drop finish that lingers.
M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full fizz an alcohol cough syrup heat on the exhale after each sip.
D- This beer is a mess. I didn't get any flavors that might resemble malt or hops or yeast out of it. Everything tasted artificial and chemical.

07-26-2010 18:18:07 | More by rhoadsrage
GRG1313

1.48/5  rDev -42.9%

Brew made with coriander, orange peels and grapefruit juice.

Pours a clear orange amber with a nice white head that quickly fades.

Nose is wonderful - pure grapefruit/lemon citrus. Doesn't smell like beer; smells like lemonaid but so what? Smells good (but..not beer so graded down a bit..no real "beer" character).

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Balance is so far "out there" that one can't really talk about balance for this one.

Flavors are so tough to handle that it makes drinking this (even tasting it) rather difficult. Tastes live a sugar sweet grapefruit soda that someone poured a beer into. Hard to drink; hard to catagorize and not very appealing. No idea what you drink it with or why, really, you'd drink it at all. Super sweet; out of balance and with wacked out and weird flavors.

Very different, if nothing else. A good candidate for a tasting of weird/crazy looking bottles with weird beer!

This is one on which you might wish to pass. Not really a beer drinking experience as much as a "weird soda" experience. Just my opinion.

08-27-2010 04:48:34 | More by GRG1313
Brent

Kentucky

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Beer brewed with spices and grapefruit. I love spiced beers. I love grapefruit. I love grapefruity hops. So, it stands to reason I would love this beer. Alas, oh so wrong. Poured a otherworldly glowing pink. Syrupy bittersweet with overpowering spice and a sickly-sweet artificial sweetener finish. I valiantly stuck with it for half the bottle, and then resigned the remainder to the sink. Ghastly.

06-14-2010 14:44:40 | More by Brent
twiggamortis420

1.55/5  rDev -40.2%

11.2 oz bottle courtesy of Dajtai007 against his better judgment, he warned me not to take this with me! I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I cant say I have ever seen a pink belt/collar for the neck label before, thats pretty…well…silly. Pours a vibrant pink-orange hue with lots of cloudiness and a small white head. Not much retention or lacing.

Wow, the coriander and grapefruit are huge! Unfortunately the combination smells like cleaning up puke with some harsh, solventy carpet cleaner the morning after a bangin high school party while the parents are out of town. I dont know if I should drink this, or clean the countertops with it.

Taste is overly sweet, undercarbonated and downright nasty. Its been awhile since I had a drainpour, the garbage disposal must have been whispering sweet nothings in my ear as I went to the beer fridge. The idea is not a bad one, grapefruit and coriander...why not? It just seems that these flavors clash like plaid and diagonal stripes. Thank you Brasserie de Silly, now I wont ever get the inkling to try this combo in a homebrew batch. Yiz to the uck.

07-23-2011 03:54:50 | More by twiggamortis420
DaveHS

1.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A-The color of grapefruit juice mixed with a mediocre witbier, which is essentially what this is.

S-Sticky sweet, grapefruit juice, coriander, orange peel. It could use something peppery or dry to cut the sweetness.

T-Gross. I usually try not to judge a beer by its label, but this one was dead on. Like the label, this beer is garish, juvenile, and an underdeveloped concept. Very sweet, with a thin wave of wheat and coriander underneath. I kept waiting for something to come in at the end and dry out the finish, like you would expect from any decent witbier, but it never came.

M-Thin, mouth coating sweet. Like fruit juice from concentrate.

D-I will never drink this again.

08-17-2010 03:35:03 | More by DaveHS
woodychandler

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%

My 600th bottle review and contrary to popular trend, I did not solicit anyone's opinion on what it should constitute. My local trade partner, tone77, brought this in a big box o' beers recently and I just get a kick out of seeing it in the reefer, chilling out and readying for a review.

I first had this back when I was at Pitt, over at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium while the door still opened right onto the bar. Me and Big Mike and his running mate all got a tulip on draft the first night they put it on. I have killed a lot of pink since then and look to kill a bunch more, but tonight, it's coming out of a bottle. My pink ribbon reads, "Save Second Base". Maybe I should wait until October to drink this ... nah.

I have not laughed at a beer in a while, but between the finger of spun cotton candy-colored head and the pinkish-amber beer with NE-quality clarity beneath it, I could not help myself. Yo, Killer, that snarl don't make it with a heart-shaped name tag hanging off of your collar and when you look like a distant relative of the Pink Panther, you aren't scaring anybody. The nose smelled like homemade soap and I was again reduced to hysterical laughter. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full but the coriander did not interact well with the orange peels and grapefruit juice and resulted in a taste like Yardley English Lavender Soap smelled. I was not laughing any more. This was NOT good! Finish had a spiciness that lingered well after the swallow, but I just could not get the taste of soap out of my mouth. Kill this Pink!

07-22-2011 22:15:37 | More by woodychandler
Duff27

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

A- Head doesn't last long. Pours a murky pink. Never saw such a thing before.

S- Bubblegum, citrus (grapefruit).

T- What...is...THAT? I have never tasted anything like this before. Having a hard time describing it. Bubblegum maybe at first but then morphs into a few different things mid-swig. Going to check other reviews to see if I can pinpoint...very old Squirt, check. Perfume tasting(?), check. Take everything in your medicine cabinet and turn it into liquid form, check. Vile.

M- Actually the mouthfeel isn't that bad but it was really hard to focus on that while I was drinking Joan Rivers perfume.

D/O- No. Just no. I'd take "Pizza Beer" in a heartbeat over this one. Had about half and...drain-poured for the first time ever.

02-01-2011 04:06:22 | More by Duff27
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance: Cloudy pink with no head.

Smell: best part of this beer. Sweet cirtus aromas.

Taste: Nailpolish. Pepto Bismol. Horrible horrible horrible. STAY AWAY.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel anything due to the horrible horrible taste.

Overall: While it smells appetizing, the taste is artificial. Avoid.

08-06-2011 19:12:15 | More by Squelch
nerdrocker101

Georgia

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

I hard a hard time drinking this, and the bottle was shared by a few.

Pours orange with a pink hue and a thin, fizzy, off-white head. It smells like Flintstones chewable vitamins. That kind of medicinal aroma masked by tangy fruit.

There are some notes of pink grapefruit, but more noticeable is the taste of aspartame. I mean this beer really tastes like someone poured a Sweet and Low packet in it while I wasn't looking.

The body is very light with more than enough carbonation.

Tough to swallow, even tougher to sip again after the first. The idea of grapefruit in my beer isn't that great to begin with, so I would say it's a mediocre idea gone terrible wrong.

08-23-2010 21:15:03 | More by nerdrocker101
KickInTheChalice

1.83/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Damn you, in store advertising! I was "charmed" into trying this "cute" grapefruit beer, but it turned out to be a gimmick, or more accurately, a cruel joke.

Appearance: It starts out ok, pouring a full pink color, like carbonated ruby red grapefruit juice. A moderate head subsides and leaves a more compact one in its stead.

Smell: It smells like grapefruit juice, if grapefruit juice was tainted with cough medicine.

Taste: Remarkably consistent with the smell, unfortunately. I honestly do not know how a legitimate brewery would approve of selling this beer. How was grapefruit and ethyl alcohol not a huge hit? Are those phenols I'm tasting? I can't tell with all of the chemical mess going on here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, medium carbonation. But while it is in my mouth my brain keeps telling me to spit it out, so that is probably not a good sign.

Drinkability: I actually took the remainder of this over to friend's house, simply to laugh at the horrendous execution of what could have been an interesting beer. It was either that or the drain. The amount that I had in order to write the review was sufficient to make my stomach hurt. Immediately going to a tried-and-true favorite to get this taste out of my mouth.

04-16-2010 03:34:03 | More by KickInTheChalice
Stinkypuss

1.93/5  rDev -25.5%

Sampled this one on tap.

Appearance: hazy and pinkish yellow in color. Like a carbonated pink lemonade.

Smell: Hugely aromatic, but not so much in a good way. Smells chemical and medicinal.

Taste: Follows the nose, some wheat elements and copious amount of artificial fruit flavoring. Kind of a mess.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied with a lingering grapefruit/chemical flavor that is very off putting.

Drinkability: Very low, drainpour quality. It would take an extraordinary circumstance to have me drink this beer again. Pass.

02-25-2010 14:20:58 | More by Stinkypuss
Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.