Pink Killer - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Pink KillerPink Killer

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: crookedhalo on 12-11-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
1.42/5  rDev -45.6%

Labeling and title had me try this one at our local gastropub. Sounded good, grapefruit and spices in a wheat beer. This has the taste and aroma of a cleaning product. Definately not a good beer experience. Even the ladies hated it. Safe to pass on the Pink Killer.

1.55/5  rDev -40.6%

Brew made with coriander, orange peels and grapefruit juice.

Pours a clear orange amber with a nice white head that quickly fades.

Nose is wonderful - pure grapefruit/lemon citrus. Doesn't smell like beer; smells like lemonaid but so what? Smells good (but..not beer so graded down a bit..no real "beer" character).

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Balance is so far "out there" that one can't really talk about balance for this one.

Flavors are so tough to handle that it makes drinking this (even tasting it) rather difficult. Tastes live a sugar sweet grapefruit soda that someone poured a beer into. Hard to drink; hard to catagorize and not very appealing. No idea what you drink it with or why, really, you'd drink it at all. Super sweet; out of balance and with wacked out and weird flavors.

Very different, if nothing else. A good candidate for a tasting of weird/crazy looking bottles with weird beer!

This is one on which you might wish to pass. Not really a beer drinking experience as much as a "weird soda" experience. Just my opinion.

1.88/5  rDev -28%

I hard a hard time drinking this, and the bottle was shared by a few.

Pours orange with a pink hue and a thin, fizzy, off-white head. It smells like Flintstones chewable vitamins. That kind of medicinal aroma masked by tangy fruit.

There are some notes of pink grapefruit, but more noticeable is the taste of aspartame. I mean this beer really tastes like someone poured a Sweet and Low packet in it while I wasn't looking.

The body is very light with more than enough carbonation.

Tough to swallow, even tougher to sip again after the first. The idea of grapefruit in my beer isn't that great to begin with, so I would say it's a mediocre idea gone terrible wrong.

1.7/5  rDev -34.9%

A-The color of grapefruit juice mixed with a mediocre witbier, which is essentially what this is.

S-Sticky sweet, grapefruit juice, coriander, orange peel. It could use something peppery or dry to cut the sweetness.

T-Gross. I usually try not to judge a beer by its label, but this one was dead on. Like the label, this beer is garish, juvenile, and an underdeveloped concept. Very sweet, with a thin wave of wheat and coriander underneath. I kept waiting for something to come in at the end and dry out the finish, like you would expect from any decent witbier, but it never came.

M-Thin, mouth coating sweet. Like fruit juice from concentrate.

D-I will never drink this again.

1.12/5  rDev -57.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass. Appearance is the strong suit of the beer, as it is an interesting pinkish orange with some haziness. Every other aspect of the beer is tainted by the fact that it smells and tastes like ammonia and medicine with some grapefruit thrown in. I managed to finish my half of the bottle, but that was enough for me. Not recommended.

1.46/5  rDev -44.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours with the fizzy sound of a soda pop and a hazy glowing ruby orange body with a pink bubblegum head that is soon gone. There are lots of tiny bubbles that race up the sides of the glass.
S- The smell of hair permanent and chemical fruit is strong and covers all other aromas that might be in there.
T- This beer has a flavor of cough syrup with medicinal coriander and camphor quality. The finish is a medicinal grapefruit quality with a cough drop finish that lingers.
M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full fizz an alcohol cough syrup heat on the exhale after each sip.
D- This beer is a mess. I didn't get any flavors that might resemble malt or hops or yeast out of it. Everything tasted artificial and chemical.

1.54/5  rDev -41%

Beer brewed with spices and grapefruit. I love spiced beers. I love grapefruit. I love grapefruity hops. So, it stands to reason I would love this beer. Alas, oh so wrong. Poured a otherworldly glowing pink. Syrupy bittersweet with overpowering spice and a sickly-sweet artificial sweetener finish. I valiantly stuck with it for half the bottle, and then resigned the remainder to the sink. Ghastly.

2.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A-Pours a hazy copper. Pours with ~3 fingers of crisp light pink head, which fades slowly into a thin cap.

S- Medicinal and metallic with hints of citrus. Fades to feint after the initial rush, which is a positive.

T- Sugary sweetness kicks things off. Cherry juice, with only a hint of citrus. Light hit of zesty spices. Bitterness minimal. Not awe inspiring, but far more palatable than the appearance and smell had me predicting.

M- Moderate carbonation with a medium-light feel.

D- OK. Easy enough to drink, even if not very compelling overall. You could drink multiples, but I doubt you'd really want to.

Future outlook: Essentially a novelty beer that was purchased with no expectations beyond fulfilling that purpose of novelty. No need to buy again.

2.54/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a pinkish copper and amber color. Makes me think of pink grapefruit juice mixed with an amber ale. PLain white head thats recedes to an island of foam with nice bubbling.

Grapefruit juice sweetenended with sugar. Maybe a little coriander too, but hard to pick out with the overwhelming sweetness the sugared grapefruit. Very sweet smelling I must say.

The taste is like sweetened grapefruit juice and lemonade. I can't really taste any other spices or even the malts for that matter. I must say the carbonation feels great on the palate.

Othe rthan the great carbonation, this palate is a little juicey, and a whole lot of sweet from start to finish. Just bottle for me barkeep.

2.34/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Glowing light red-orange tangerine color with a slight pink hue. Average sized, very creamy, froth head that is white with a pink hue. Very good retention that settles into a thick creamy lacing.

S - Strong grapefruit cough syrup type of aroma. Some hints of mango and other fruit and citrus rind. Sweet and medicinal aroma is strong with grapefruit prominent.

T - Similar to the nose. At first there is a strong medicinal/cough syrup type of flavor. Then some more citrus rind flavor builds up to a strong grapefruit taste. General sweetness is also present. Right before the finish there is a nice balanced grapefruit taste that taste a lot like a real grapefruit. Unfortunately on the finish the medicinal/cough syrup taste starts to show up again.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation. Slightly sticky and warming feel.

D - Too sweet and medicine like for me to really enjoy drinking or to want another. Not as bad as some others say, and I didn't have trouble finishing the bottle, it just wasn't that enjoyable to drink.

Notes: Best before 21/10/10. I really do like grapefruit, so I was hopeful for this beer. Unfortunately it is too medicinal and not enough real grapefruit flavor. That real grapefruit taste right before the end (and sometimes it would linger) was nice, but there was just too little of it. Somewhat like an alcopop. Not really all that enjoyable, even for me, a grapefruit fan.

4.34/5  rDev +66.3%

Pours out a really clouldy pink grapefruit color with 1/2 finger of white suds and not a lot of lacing.
Smell is a wonderful sour fruit smell. Kinda like cherry and grapefruit rind mixed together with a sour tart thrown in for good measure.
Taste is very odd. The first flavor is sweet perfume and dry talcom powder. Sugar is here and then a sweet fruityness finishes it off.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky which is just fine by me. The sticky stays with the palate for a long time.
Drinkability is good here because while it might be a little sweet and sticky, it's very refreshing and would probably pare well with chocolate and Icecream.

3.57/5  rDev +36.8%

a: poured a pink lemonade hue with a thin layer of head with a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: the nose was a combination of sweet flowers and a vinegar complex.

T: taste was like drinking a cup of flower flavored beer with slight sage notes as well.

M: meduim body with a decnt amount of carbonation to accent the beers taste.

D: very different and nothing like I've ever had before. I kinda like experimentel beers like this.

2.53/5  rDev -3.1%

I drank this from 12oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a super girly grapefruit pink with lots of carbonation. The head is white rises a couple fingers then is gone pretty quickly with a light white ring.

The aroma is strong and astringent, almost burns the nose with grapefruit acidity. Mostly all grapefruit and acidity.

The taste is really weird, starts off very sweet, almost too sweet like some weird Halloween candy, then there is this crazy bubbly carbonation on the tongue that's so weird.

1.82/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Damn you, in store advertising! I was "charmed" into trying this "cute" grapefruit beer, but it turned out to be a gimmick, or more accurately, a cruel joke.

Appearance: It starts out ok, pouring a full pink color, like carbonated ruby red grapefruit juice. A moderate head subsides and leaves a more compact one in its stead.

Smell: It smells like grapefruit juice, if grapefruit juice was tainted with cough medicine.

Taste: Remarkably consistent with the smell, unfortunately. I honestly do not know how a legitimate brewery would approve of selling this beer. How was grapefruit and ethyl alcohol not a huge hit? Are those phenols I'm tasting? I can't tell with all of the chemical mess going on here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, medium carbonation. But while it is in my mouth my brain keeps telling me to spit it out, so that is probably not a good sign.

Drinkability: I actually took the remainder of this over to friend's house, simply to laugh at the horrendous execution of what could have been an interesting beer. It was either that or the drain. The amount that I had in order to write the review was sufficient to make my stomach hurt. Immediately going to a tried-and-true favorite to get this taste out of my mouth.

3.45/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy light orange with what appears to be some pink undertones coming through.

Taste is definitely fruity, but really can't narrow it down to a specific one. I think if I just leave it as "fruity" you'll get what I mean. Could be coriander playing with my palate though. I saw another review compare the taste to fruit loops, and I'd have to agree.

I found the beer to be refreshing and not bad overall. Not sure why it hasn't been getting better reviews. I wouldn't seek this one out, but not a bad brew by any means.

1.87/5  rDev -28.4%

Sampled this one on tap.

Appearance: hazy and pinkish yellow in color. Like a carbonated pink lemonade.

Smell: Hugely aromatic, but not so much in a good way. Smells chemical and medicinal.

Taste: Follows the nose, some wheat elements and copious amount of artificial fruit flavoring. Kind of a mess.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied with a lingering grapefruit/chemical flavor that is very off putting.

Drinkability: Very low, drainpour quality. It would take an extraordinary circumstance to have me drink this beer again. Pass.

2.32/5  rDev -11.1%

Pink Killer, on tap at Max's into a pint glass.

Pours a nice amber with good clarity, had a slight head and decent lacing.

Smells like smirnoff ice. I get zero hops, zero malt, just grapefruit and sugar. Smells like a bad hangover.

I give this a 2.5 on taste simply because they managed to make me taste something I wholely did NOT expect to taste in any beer. Ever. Starts off like natural light. Very slight corn water/grainy/bready taste. Then it tastes kind of like you took a party cup with some 4 hour old flat natural light, and poured in half a smirnoff ice. Beer and grapefruit and a loooot of sugar. This is where it gets good. Then I taste jimmy dean breakfast sausage links. Honestly. It's like maple syrup or something. I wasn't alone, my tasting partner said the same thing. We kind of WTF'd together there. Goes out with a bit of nail polish remover and acidicness, presumably from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is decent. Decent carbonation, a little on the light side.

Drinkability on this one is next to nil for me. I'm not writing this to blast this beer, but I wouldn't recommend this to a friend for anything other than to try a REALLY "interesting" beer. I can see how there might possibly be a market for something like this, it is like a beer-y smirnoff ice. A bit of a cross-over, if you will. In the future though, thanks, but no thanks.

2.43/5  rDev -6.9%

Tap at Lucky Baldwin's.

Muddy pinkish orange pour. Overly sweet. Skittles and fruit loops (credit to the bartender for this comparison - it is rather accurate). Artificial grapefruit and guava flavors. Watery body. Epitome of bad, for me at least. The only thing that could make this good (maybe..), would be a sour fermentation. Could be interesting that way. As is, not recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +57.9%

Excellent Wit, with a very unique grapefruit flavor. I had this at the beginning of the night, so the grapefruit seemed rather strong for my taste. However, later on, I had another, and the grapefruit meshed very nicely with the slight spiciness. Creamy and beautiful in the mouth, with a decent head. Overall, a great beer.

2.11/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into Chalice. Poured with minimal head and slightly more lacing. A light orange color. A strong sticky-sweet aroma. The aroma is very fruity, maybe strawberryish? The flavor is different than the aroma lead me to expect, not as fruity, no strawberry taste. The flavor is still sweet and slightly sticky. I'm not finding any particular flavors that stand out. More body than I anticipated, but a little thin for my tastes. Too sweet to have more than a couple at a sitting. This beer is not horrible, but now that I've had it, I don't think I need to have it again.

3.2/5  rDev +22.6%

A: Sat in the glass a very crisp reddish with glowing auburn highlights. Had some pink like highlights which are to be expected with the odd and interesting name. The head was minimal and the lacing moderate at best. This sat in the glass crisp and glowing.

S: Aromas were sharp and overly sweet. Grapefruit and sugary candy smell. Can't really say if I loved or hated the nose. I kind of figured it would be something different by the name alone. Has a certain tang that will clean the nasal cavity quickly.

T: I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer. The taste was sharp with juice box like qualities. Sugars and syrup with a heavy grapefruit splash. I had no idea about the ABV until I saw this site. Wish it would have been a higher ABV. However, if you are looking for a grapefruit and citrus like beer this is what you want.

M: Light bodied and crisp.

D: Had this on tap with my girlfriend after a pretty heavy night of eating and drinking. I had no idea the style before we ordered but it did round off the night pretty well. It is a unique beer and while it is not one that I would try again it worked out nicely for that point in time. I can see why there is a wide variety in opinion on this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +69.7%

Very Suprised. Not a Fruit Beer fan. This beer was very light (like a normal wit) with a great grapefruit finish. A little sweeeter than I normally like, but great for a summer beer. I tried at Delirium Cafe in Brussels and I had to order some online when i got back home.

2.36/5  rDev -9.6%

Hazy, pink and orange beer, almost no head, but solid lacing.

Smell is very sweet and somewhat very artificial grapefruit, nothing else. Taste, of course, is grapefruity again, but there can be some beer felt in the background - but very faintly. Pure lemonade aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is creamy and pleasant, thanks to the good level of carbonation.

This beer feels far too artificial.

4.19/5  rDev +60.5%

Drank on-tap at Delirium in Brussels

I have to say up front that I don't normally drink fruit beers, especially ones w/the word "pink" in the name. However, Delirium's menu gave this a strong recommendation, so I gave her a go.

Man, was I pleasantly surprised. I spent two weeks back-packing throughout Europe, and this beer made the strongest impression on me.

A - pink-ish, with tiny bits of grapefruit floating in it. That's not a bad thing, but took some getting used to.

S - grapefruit, but not at all in the hoppy way we beer geeks are used to.

T - grapefruit all the way. Not too much. Do you like the taste of grapefruit? If so, you'll probably like this. If not, stay the hell away. It was a warm night, which probably helped.

M - average. Nothing all that notable.

D - excellent. I could have had more, but had to go.

Final note: I found a bottle of this stuff in Switzerland and pounced on it. Can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't as good. Certainly not the "worst beer I've ever had" as others here have said. If you have a choice b/t tap and bottle, go tap all the way. I can only guess that this stuff doesn't hold up well w/travel, as everyone who had it here in the US seems to revile it.

3.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Lucky I live about 5 miles away from the Silly brewery.

Went back on vacation and the beer was the local hit that summer.
Had it every summer.

A - In the Pink Killer glass

S - Fruity, grapefruit flavor is very present and pleasant to drink.

T & M - Very refreshing for the hot summer days. Nothing that would put you under the table. Enjoyable to the palate.

D - Again, I enjoy the beer for a good hot summer refreshment.

Seved: was on tap in all bars and had it in bottle at home.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.