Pink Killer - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Pink KillerPink Killer

poor

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: crookedhalo on 12-11-2004

2.23/5  rDev -13.6%

Orange brew with visible bubbles. Minimal head and little lacing.

Bright fruity aroma, tangerines and grapefruit. Fresh piney and floral hops.

This is where it all goes downhill. Flavor is mild and fruity at first with some fresh hop flavor and a hint of ginger. Then the sweetness takes control and catapults the beer into a thick sugary mess. Hops and malt flavor are nowhere near strong enough to restrain this sweet monstrosity.

Feel is just as bad. Medium bodied I guess. Some carbonation. Finishes with a slick, sticky, syrupy texture on the tongue the begs to be washed away with a glass of water (or some better beer for that matter.)

Dreadful. Can't believe I bought this. Should call it "Pink Palate Killer." Avoid at all costs!

2.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured a hazy pink with a decent head. Smell was over the top fruity. The taste was as well. For some reason I thought this would have been a bit more mellow. Slight citrus in the finish, but all I really could get out of this was the way over the top grapefruit. Won't be going back to this anytime soon.

3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a pink-ish to light orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary, grapefruits and orange like citrus. In the taste, well it is a bit sugary, small tartness of citrus. A smooth and med to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a sugary citrus in the aftertaste. To sugary, I get what they are doing, but overly sweet.

2.33/5  rDev -9.7%

Well it's pink! Pink colored beer with a lighter pink colored head.

Smell is sweet and candy like. Smells of grapefruit yes but like the Jolly Rancher candy version of grapefruit. I also get some orange smell from this one.

Starts out very sweet with a grapefruit candy flavor. This has an orange taste to it also. Lingering sweetness in the aftertaste. Yuck do not like this!

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is a genuine glass full of crap! If you are looking for a grapefruit candy flavored beer then this is for you and NOT me!

3.83/5  rDev +48.4%

11.2oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber with some strong leanings towards orange. It is slightly hazy. It is capped with an inch of off white head.

S - Fresh grapefruit and oranges. Citrus galore.

T - The taste matches the aroma. Tons of citrus with the focus on grapefruit. A lot sweeter than I would have thought.

M - Thin

O - It's actually quite refreshing after mowing the lawn. It is overtly sweet so I don't think I could drink a bunch.

1.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Appearance: Cloudy pink with no head.

Smell: best part of this beer. Sweet cirtus aromas.

Taste: Nailpolish. Pepto Bismol. Horrible horrible horrible. STAY AWAY.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel anything due to the horrible horrible taste.

Overall: While it smells appetizing, the taste is artificial. Avoid.

3.1/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Hazy pinkish-orange with no head. Looks like a soda.

S: There is a slight tea-like spice aroma and citrus.

T: There is a coriander and sweet citrus peel flavor.

M: Smooth and silky mouthfeel. very nice.

O: It's interesting. Way too sweet, but the flavor is ok.

2.88/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance - bright orange/pink color. Frothy finger of white that fades to an incomplete cover before long.

Aroma - grapefruit juice and coriander. Fairly spicy and refreshing.

Taste - sweet sugary grapefruit syrup. Notes of orange and coriander, but very alcopoppy. Bland finish, not very beery but it does have a faint snap of hops on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - sugary smooth but not excessively so. Carbonated like soda, which is pretty much what this reminds me of, or a wine cooler.

Drinkability - <sigh>...once again, rooked in by marketing and the prospect of a well-known brewery making something interesting. Oh well, I can put away the other one somehow or another.

1.55/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2 oz bottle courtesy of Dajtai007 against his better judgment, he warned me not to take this with me! I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I cant say I have ever seen a pink belt/collar for the neck label before, thats pretty…well…silly. Pours a vibrant pink-orange hue with lots of cloudiness and a small white head. Not much retention or lacing.

Wow, the coriander and grapefruit are huge! Unfortunately the combination smells like cleaning up puke with some harsh, solventy carpet cleaner the morning after a bangin high school party while the parents are out of town. I dont know if I should drink this, or clean the countertops with it.

Taste is overly sweet, undercarbonated and downright nasty. Its been awhile since I had a drainpour, the garbage disposal must have been whispering sweet nothings in my ear as I went to the beer fridge. The idea is not a bad one, grapefruit and coriander...why not? It just seems that these flavors clash like plaid and diagonal stripes. Thank you Brasserie de Silly, now I wont ever get the inkling to try this combo in a homebrew batch. Yiz to the uck.

1.7/5  rDev -34.1%

My 600th bottle review and contrary to popular trend, I did not solicit anyone's opinion on what it should constitute. My local trade partner, tone77, brought this in a big box o' beers recently and I just get a kick out of seeing it in the reefer, chilling out and readying for a review.

I first had this back when I was at Pitt, over at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium while the door still opened right onto the bar. Me and Big Mike and his running mate all got a tulip on draft the first night they put it on. I have killed a lot of pink since then and look to kill a bunch more, but tonight, it's coming out of a bottle. My pink ribbon reads, "Save Second Base". Maybe I should wait until October to drink this ... nah.

I have not laughed at a beer in a while, but between the finger of spun cotton candy-colored head and the pinkish-amber beer with NE-quality clarity beneath it, I could not help myself. Yo, Killer, that snarl don't make it with a heart-shaped name tag hanging off of your collar and when you look like a distant relative of the Pink Panther, you aren't scaring anybody. The nose smelled like homemade soap and I was again reduced to hysterical laughter. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full but the coriander did not interact well with the orange peels and grapefruit juice and resulted in a taste like Yardley English Lavender Soap smelled. I was not laughing any more. This was NOT good! Finish had a spiciness that lingered well after the swallow, but I just could not get the taste of soap out of my mouth. Kill this Pink!

3.83/5  rDev +48.4%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy pinkish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with grapefruit, coriander is also present. Taste is also grapefruit up front, some coriander, a bit sour, a touch of bitterness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable beer.

3.25/5  rDev +26%

This kind of tastes like a average household spice at first with a slight NyQuil aftertaste, however it's worth a try because it has a unique flavor compared to what I've had in the past.

On the downside, the cost is higher compared to the average import.

1.25/5  rDev -51.6%

This beer tastes like candy hearts mixed with medicine. It smells like sour bubblegum or something to that effect. Coloring is actually pink.. which is unusual. Definitely trying to appeal to females with the label, but even as a female.. I thought it was gross. That's all I'm going to say. Not even worth a good review.

1.75/5  rDev -32.2%

A- Head doesn't last long. Pours a murky pink. Never saw such a thing before.

S- Bubblegum, citrus (grapefruit).

T- What...is...THAT? I have never tasted anything like this before. Having a hard time describing it. Bubblegum maybe at first but then morphs into a few different things mid-swig. Going to check other reviews to see if I can pinpoint...very old Squirt, check. Perfume tasting(?), check. Take everything in your medicine cabinet and turn it into liquid form, check. Vile.

M- Actually the mouthfeel isn't that bad but it was really hard to focus on that while I was drinking Joan Rivers perfume.

D/O- No. Just no. I'd take "Pizza Beer" in a heartbeat over this one. Had about half and...drain-poured for the first time ever.

2.17/5  rDev -15.9%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 25 Aug 2010. Served in the 0.3 L Unibroue snifter.

Large tight white head with a pinkish cast. Medium carbonation. Somewhat cloudy pinkish amber in color. Smells like vitamin C pills, perfumey, floral and grapefruit. Taste is reminiscent of a bitter Squirt soda. Aftertaste of fake citrus and aspartame. Grapefruity in a bad way. Lingering floral perfuminess. Medium body. Light alcohol.

This beer is just silly...

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Smoked salmon pinkish orange with a pale rose petal pink crown of fluffy foam. The name and the appearance match, if nothing else. The head hangs around for a spell, but isn't very capable when it comes time to decorate the glass. An interesting look for what should be an interesting beer.

The aroma is surprisingly pleasant and floral-fruity. It's dominanted by a near equal mix of pink grapefruit juice and orange peel. Coriander spiciness is barely noted. This stuff might actually be okay.

Pink Killer doesn't hold up on the taste buds. It has a solvent-like vibe that would truly be nasty if the ABV was higher. It's also sweeter than it should be, which tells me that the brewers were going after the ladies. Not surprising, given the name and the label.

A puckery grapefruit juicy flavor profile would have been better. Actually, the beer does taste like a grapefruit-added wit, but it doesn't taste well-brewed for whatever reason. These guys are definitely more capable brewers than this.

The mouthfeel is an odd combination of lightness and underlying sugary slickness, with a few uninterested bubbles trying to keep the whole thing afloat. While it isn't a complete shipwreck, the iceberg is fast approaching.

If Brasserie de Silly simply added grapefruit juice to an otherwise well-constructed wit, or even used grapefruity hops, Pink Killer would be better beer. As is, they had to ruin it by adding sugar. I have no doubts that fresher PK is better PK, but I can't see how this is anything but average on its best day.

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%

Labeling and title had me try this one at our local gastropub. Sounded good, grapefruit and spices in a wheat beer. This has the taste and aroma of a cleaning product. Definately not a good beer experience. Even the ladies hated it. Safe to pass on the Pink Killer.

1.48/5  rDev -42.6%

Brew made with coriander, orange peels and grapefruit juice.

Pours a clear orange amber with a nice white head that quickly fades.

Nose is wonderful - pure grapefruit/lemon citrus. Doesn't smell like beer; smells like lemonaid but so what? Smells good (but..not beer so graded down a bit..no real "beer" character).

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Balance is so far "out there" that one can't really talk about balance for this one.

Flavors are so tough to handle that it makes drinking this (even tasting it) rather difficult. Tastes live a sugar sweet grapefruit soda that someone poured a beer into. Hard to drink; hard to catagorize and not very appealing. No idea what you drink it with or why, really, you'd drink it at all. Super sweet; out of balance and with wacked out and weird flavors.

Very different, if nothing else. A good candidate for a tasting of weird/crazy looking bottles with weird beer!

This is one on which you might wish to pass. Not really a beer drinking experience as much as a "weird soda" experience. Just my opinion.

1.8/5  rDev -30.2%

I hard a hard time drinking this, and the bottle was shared by a few.

Pours orange with a pink hue and a thin, fizzy, off-white head. It smells like Flintstones chewable vitamins. That kind of medicinal aroma masked by tangy fruit.

There are some notes of pink grapefruit, but more noticeable is the taste of aspartame. I mean this beer really tastes like someone poured a Sweet and Low packet in it while I wasn't looking.

The body is very light with more than enough carbonation.

Tough to swallow, even tougher to sip again after the first. The idea of grapefruit in my beer isn't that great to begin with, so I would say it's a mediocre idea gone terrible wrong.

1.68/5  rDev -34.9%

A-The color of grapefruit juice mixed with a mediocre witbier, which is essentially what this is.

S-Sticky sweet, grapefruit juice, coriander, orange peel. It could use something peppery or dry to cut the sweetness.

T-Gross. I usually try not to judge a beer by its label, but this one was dead on. Like the label, this beer is garish, juvenile, and an underdeveloped concept. Very sweet, with a thin wave of wheat and coriander underneath. I kept waiting for something to come in at the end and dry out the finish, like you would expect from any decent witbier, but it never came.

M-Thin, mouth coating sweet. Like fruit juice from concentrate.

D-I will never drink this again.

1.1/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass. Appearance is the strong suit of the beer, as it is an interesting pinkish orange with some haziness. Every other aspect of the beer is tainted by the fact that it smells and tastes like ammonia and medicine with some grapefruit thrown in. I managed to finish my half of the bottle, but that was enough for me. Not recommended.

1.4/5  rDev -45.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours with the fizzy sound of a soda pop and a hazy glowing ruby orange body with a pink bubblegum head that is soon gone. There are lots of tiny bubbles that race up the sides of the glass.
S- The smell of hair permanent and chemical fruit is strong and covers all other aromas that might be in there.
T- This beer has a flavor of cough syrup with medicinal coriander and camphor quality. The finish is a medicinal grapefruit quality with a cough drop finish that lingers.
M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full fizz an alcohol cough syrup heat on the exhale after each sip.
D- This beer is a mess. I didn't get any flavors that might resemble malt or hops or yeast out of it. Everything tasted artificial and chemical.

1.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Beer brewed with spices and grapefruit. I love spiced beers. I love grapefruit. I love grapefruity hops. So, it stands to reason I would love this beer. Alas, oh so wrong. Poured a otherworldly glowing pink. Syrupy bittersweet with overpowering spice and a sickly-sweet artificial sweetener finish. I valiantly stuck with it for half the bottle, and then resigned the remainder to the sink. Ghastly.

Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.