Scotch De Silly - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Scotch De SillyScotch De Silly

good

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-31-2002)
1.2/5  rDev -67.7%

Bought this ffrom the singles beer section for $.99, now I know why it was so cheap. I'm hoping it's a bad bottle. Poured a hazy brown with a thick tan head. Smells a bit odd, old raisins. Tastes quite crappy, old rotted fruit, old raisins with a lot of sugar poured in. I'm hoping this is a bad bottle, could find no freshness date on the bottle. This is barely drinkable, debating whether I should finish it or just drainpour.

Drainpour it goes!!

Manosbeeroffate, Jul 17, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -53.4%

I saw this and said hmmmm. I took a $10 gamble and lost, horribly.
Poured a deep copper with a tannish head, good carbonation. Nose is fruity, champgne like, caramel. Taste is astringent, fruit, not good at all. What about this beer represents the style? Mouthfeel is champgne like, big carbonation, fruit, a litte caramel and to much funk and tart. I had $1 worth and the other $( went down the drain with a vengeance.

barleywinefiend, Nov 27, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -45.3%

Aromas is all caramel malts. Extremely sweet with some floral and herbal hints, but this is totally over-powered by the maltiness.

The taste is not great. I almost can't finish it, because it is way too sweet. As it warms, it actually gets worse. Flavor is mostly nasty butterscotch and caramel with some brown sugar mixed in. This brew could benefit from some roasted malts or peat character and an increase in hop additions.

Mouthfeel is okay, adequate for the category, but the taste is way too sweet and I will not be drinking this again.

claspada, Dec 09, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle at cellar temperature into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a dense dark cream head that stayed with the beer. Showed moderate to heavy lacing. Color is dark garnet, very clear, with lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Not much going on in the nose. Some malt and even honey notes, and perhaps some ripe red fruit, but all very muted.

T: Some red fruit and lots of malt sweetness predominate the flavor. There is also some earthiness that I find hard to characterize. A strong impression of honey is present too, which is interesting because I do not believe that honey is used in this beer. Alcohol is not noticeable. Ends on a strong sour note.

M: I perceive a heavy diacetyl content. Mouthfeel is buttery, and too dense.

D: Because of the out-of-balance mouthfeel, I would find it difficult to drink a lot of this.

Overall: The concept of a Belgian-brewed Scotch-style ale is very appealing. Apart from that novelty, however, this beer disappoints. It lacks most of the malt complexity that can be found in the finer examples of the style. I do not know the age of the bottle; it is possible that it is simply past its prime. In any event, I could not finish the bottle.

MCDuhamel, Nov 11, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -44.7%

For some reason I have had people hype this beer to me, but while drinking it, I gotta admit: I don't think it is that great. Poured from a 11.2oz bottle with printing on the cap that looks like a date saying 24/01/10. I can only assume that is a "best by" date.

Poured a caramel colored brown with slight dark gold highlights. It is kind of cloudy and full of yeasty beasties. Maybe I should have left a 1/4" in the bottle, but that would be wasting alcohol. I won't fault it for the cloudy yeast.

Smell is very, VERY caramelly! Just super sweet smelling! There is some floral, herbal hints there, but is totally over-powered by the maltiness. Diacetyl is definitely starting to creep in.

Taste is not great. I almost can't finish it, it is so f---in sweet! As it warms, it actually gets worse. Flavor is mostly nasty butterscotch and caramel. I will try to review this again when i get a fresher bottle. What I want to know is, where is the peated malt flavor and aroma that is indicative of scotch ale? What about some roastiness. This just doesn't satisfy the category it is in.

Mouthfeel is very smooth with low carbonation, adequate for the category.

Drinkability: I couldn't drink this again, and I like lots of crazy stuff.

ahalloin, Sep 06, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -44.7%

A- Pours a murky reddish color with a nice off white head. Head was pretty huge and then capped off the top of the brew. Not too much lacing here.

S- A bit of caramel malts, apples and a bit of yeast. Overall, pretty tame.

T- Quite a bit of malt sweetness. An Earthy taste as well along with some medicine type taste. Not really digging this at all.

M- Medium in body and lighter in carbonation.

D- No thanks on this one. I had a hard time with this one. Wife and I couldn't finish this one of at all.

nrbw23, Feb 25, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

Like some other reviewers, I am hoping I got a bad bottle. I have another bottle and will give it a second chance.

I am a huge fan of this style, my staples are McEwans, Skullsplitter and Traquir House. Scotch Silly does not belong in that company, nor does it belong in my fridge.

Poured out flat, no head (again, bad bottle?) Amber color but not attractive in the glass.

Smells of apples, roasted malts and hint of Belgian yeast.

Taste is where this beer falls apart for me. Too sweet. Smoky, but like a campfire after you poured water on it. Someone mentioned Canadian whisky, yes that flavor is there, but it was the cheap stuff that makes you shake your head violently after it goes down. Better in big gulps rather than sips.

Mouthfeel is ok, nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: Got through most of it. Last inch or so in the drain.

With so many good reviews for this beer, I hope that my second bottle will be better, Will revise review if needed.

climbtowers, Aug 03, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

Modernrickk, Nov 24, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -38.5%

A: redish brown haze, good head and super lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet malts smacks you upside of the head and there seems to be a little freshness in the back of the glass to revive me.

T: Caramel malts big time, unusual flavor for sure - I can't say it is enjoyable. Everytime I think there maybe some undertones to taste the sweetness smacks it down. If you like sweet this is for you. I even tried to eat and the beer just got worst. Made the plain penuts taste bad.

M: Medium. It is the sweetness on the taste that gives it a medium structure along with that UFO flavor. Nothing is really left on the palate but .... a little sweetness. Then, it's gone.

D: It's a sipper. And, I could not see drinking more than one. For me I could see not drinking it!!! I have to admit I do not like over the top sweetness in a beer. Cotton candy yes. Beer No.

I had better expectations for this beer. To bad.

hackmann, Feb 08, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a murky looking dark brown with a beige head which recedes quickly into a thin film. Minimal lacing left behind. Not much to look at.

Smells of sweet malts along with a hint of woodiness.

Tastes unbelievably sweet. Perhaps some chocolate and butterscotch, but that's being generous. The alcohol makes it's presence known as it warms. The sweetness just dominates everything else. A very one dimensional beer. Sweet followed by more sweet.

Mouthfeel was smooth and thick, although very flat. Felt almost dead in the mouth.

This is not a beer I'd ever care to have again. It was all I could do to finish the 12 oz bottle.

JBogan, Nov 13, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a brownish copper with bronze highlights. Cloudy with the yeast pour. Creamy three finger head shows outstanding retention and wide sticky patterns of lace. Medicinal/fruity belgian nose with background crystal malt; fairly mild. Big crystal malt sweetness with a sugary alcohol taste upfront. Caramel and weak phenols come on just before the dry, peat smoked malt aftertaste. Very little hop bitterness or flavor here, and the yeast is not tart enough to balance the malt; it tastes sort of under-attentuated. Medium body and light-medium carbonation again allow the sweetness to become slightly cloying and the finish boarders on harsh. A most unusual wee-heavy that seems to miss the mark for it's lack of authentic scotch ale flavor.

PBRstreetgang, Jul 22, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle with no "best by" date. I thought this Belgian attempt at a Scottish "wee heavy" was disappointing in that some of the distinguishing characteristics I look for in a "wee heavy" were missing; namely the warmth in the mouth due to the increased alcohol content and the thicker , heavier weight of the beer in your mouth. I also did not care for the definite sour aftertaste left by this beer. The normal malty taste was not noticed due to the sourness. Maybe a had a bad bottle.
I did not notice any hoppy taste, which would does agree with the "wee heavy" profile.

Not a bad ale, just not what I think of when I reach for a Scottish export.

bristerboy, Aug 08, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

After reading other reviews, I can only imagine that I got a bottle from a bad batch, is that possible? The one I had was not nearly as memorable as other Scotch Ales that I have enjoyed, namely Skullsplitter.

A - Best part of this beer. Very alluring deep copper color. Quite lovely to be honest. 1" head that held composition throughout most of the serving despite the fact that it retracted to about 1/4" by the time I was done

S - Not too bad, but not overly incredible. Honey smell laced with a hint of roasted caramel

T - This is why I think I got a bad beer - it tasted tinny and flat. The tastes that other reviewers found, I did not. Kinda like a flat cola taste.

M - Low carbonation, little heavy-ish, but not overly heavy.

I will likely try several other scotch ales before I try this one again, but since I am convinced that this was just "a bad one", I feel compelled to give it another shot sometime.

gopens44, Aug 24, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overflowed the bottle with carbonation and head, but it dissapated quickly. Dark brownish red in color. The smell is slightly metallic and slightly fruity with earthy tones. Taste is metallic with slight roasted malts for flavor. Mouthfeel is a little smooth. Overall I wouldn't have another. I wonder what it was supposed to taste like.

Erdinger2003, Sep 01, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Scotch Silly
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a rustic brown color with nice trails of lace. Decent looking head that transforms to a thin ring around the glass.

Whiffs of brown sugar and juicy malts.

Thick, syrupy malt backbone with a fig and raisin quality. Hints of milk chocolate, pecan pie and caramel swirls. There is a funky metallic twang that I keep getting in a few sips that takes away from my enjoyment.

An interesting Belgian take on a Scotch Ale. Personally, this is way too heavy on the candy sugar Belgian sweetness for me. This beer did not have what I look for in the style. Unique? Yes. Good? Eh.

Hibernator, Aug 06, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

L: Pours a nice amber color with a medium sized and kind of thin tan colored head that takes some time to fade. Some lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of potent malt and some scotch flavor to it.
T: The taste is extremely sweet up front with a sweet scotch flavor and an even sweeter finish.
M: Very sweet which drove the score on this down because although it starts out good, it never really comes back down for a rounded out beer. Nice amount of carbonation though.
D: Not very drinkable as it was too sweet for me and I had alot of trouble finishing the bottle.

erosier, Sep 01, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

Heavy carbonation, sticky head sits over tea-like body. Aroma is weak and slightly lemony. The flavor is caramel dominant, molassas and a bit of char. Scuppernongs. The sweetness lacks support from other flavors. Seems unbalanced and odd, but not really old or infected. Not so great of a Scotch ale.

aracauna, May 20, 2003
2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

It had the strongest honey scent I've ever smelled in a beer - it seriously smelled like someone just poured a bottle of honey inside the glass. It had a really pretty, dark ruby colour. It mostly just tasted like water & honey - the honey flavour was so intense that it made any other flavours just seem watery and non-existent. The aftertaste had a little more yeast/beer in it, which was nice. But overall the honey was too overwhelming.

pennywhistle, May 24, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Received as a sample from my sales rep.

Served at cellar temperature and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Dark copper colored beer with very dark edges. The head on this beer is what saved the appearance. Nice fluffy, sand colored head that leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Small is above-average. Crisp red apple and sweet Belgium candy sugar. Very sweet aroma. Earthy malts in the background.

Taste is not impressive. First sip, huge sweet, sugary malty flavor that finishes very metallic. Second sip, more metallic taste. One of the few beers i had to eventually pour down the drain. Too much metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is average. Finishes thin and too sweet.

Drinkability is bad. Drain pour. Nuff said.

Overall:
Looked good but failed to deliver. Metallic flavor killed everything. Bad example of the style. Not recommended.

KingG, Jun 09, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate caramel brown with a tint of red. Little bit of a light tan head. Nose brings some toffee, caramel, a bit of dark fruits, and some tart green apple. Taste is a lot of toffee without too much complexity. Hints of dates and green apple. Feel is light to medium with low carbonation. Very strange beer and I don't think the idea really carries, at least with this beer.

Thorpe429, Oct 17, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

pensinck, Oct 05, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Best by 3 Jun 10 $9.49 for 750ml

A: very good, rosey-brown color
S: malty, sweet with a hint of diacetyl
T: not exactly what I expected after reading some very good reviews in GBG Belgium - sweeter than I expected, almost cloying, a bit chalky with hint of diacetyl, expected just a bit more hops but is still relatively true to type, somewhat weak watery finish
M: decent but a bit watery
D: OK, I'd give it another chance but only once more, expected the 750ml to be in better shape than a 33cl

wisrarebeer, Apr 18, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a deep rusty, muddy red to brown hue. Nice foam stickage and very thick film. Syrupy malts from heavily toasted malts. Lots of cand sugar mixed in with some Traquair Jacobite. The taste starts Scotchy and Belgiany sweet. Then very quickly goes to metallic, bloody malts throughout the rest of the flavor. The palate is smooth but metallic and medicinal. Started good, but the finsh?!?!?!?

scruffwhor, May 23, 2009
Photo of
2.98/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle.

Slightly hazy, dark amber color. Large, rocky, light tan head. Lots of lacing.

Smell was sweet, with caramel and fruit at the forefront. Fruit seemed to be peaches. Hints of Belgian earthiness in there. Just a touch of grass scent, but very mild.

Taste was very sweet, and right in line with aroma. Honey drenched peaches and pears. Touch of medicinal/phenolic taste in the middle, not appealing. Finish, like the scent, offered just a bit of bitterness.

Medium + in body. Low to medium carbonation. Not drying, but mouthcoating, almost to the point of being cloying.

For me, this beer was way too sweet. From what I understand about the style, this interpretation is a bit off the mark. Not one I will return to.

, Jan 02, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a red/copper with a three-finger frothy head with great sustain. Good lacing.

S: Very one-dimensional aroma, this just smells very sweet and malty. Perhaps too sweet.

T: Strong molasses flavor with a slight roasted character in the finish. Extremely sweet and cloying.

M: Full-bodied, sticky, and smooth with fine carbonation.

D: This one is REALLY sweet. I generally like sweet beers, or can at least tolerate them, but this is a bit much for me to handle, I think, but it's not quite worthy of a dump..

klewis, Sep 17, 2006
Scotch De Silly from Brasserie de Silly S.A.