Scotch De Silly - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Scotch De SillyScotch De Silly

good

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-31-2002)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Lukie

Australia

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Poured with little head that left a brown coating around the outside of the liquid. It is a dark brown, almost creamy coffee in look.

Holy Moly is this sweet on the nose. Caramel, Toffee, nougat, mainly sweet toffee. Spiced Pear seems to come through.

Sweet toffee hits you straight away, with a Caramel finish. It is like drinking caramel chocolate. It never expected this, as this is the first Scotch Ale I have ever tried, and it is wonderful. Amazing flavours, just nice and sweet.

It is scary to think this is 8% alcohol, as I could knock this back all night long if I had to. There is little carbonation and it slides down your throat with ease.

12-17-2007 14:07:22 | More by Lukie
MCDuhamel

2.05/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle at cellar temperature into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a dense dark cream head that stayed with the beer. Showed moderate to heavy lacing. Color is dark garnet, very clear, with lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Not much going on in the nose. Some malt and even honey notes, and perhaps some ripe red fruit, but all very muted.

T: Some red fruit and lots of malt sweetness predominate the flavor. There is also some earthiness that I find hard to characterize. A strong impression of honey is present too, which is interesting because I do not believe that honey is used in this beer. Alcohol is not noticeable. Ends on a strong sour note.

M: I perceive a heavy diacetyl content. Mouthfeel is buttery, and too dense.

D: Because of the out-of-balance mouthfeel, I would find it difficult to drink a lot of this.

Overall: The concept of a Belgian-brewed Scotch-style ale is very appealing. Apart from that novelty, however, this beer disappoints. It lacks most of the malt complexity that can be found in the finer examples of the style. I do not know the age of the bottle; it is possible that it is simply past its prime. In any event, I could not finish the bottle.

11-11-2007 01:10:28 | More by MCDuhamel
drseamus

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

It pours a dark red mahogany color with a half inch off white head just like a good beer should have. Perfect looking beer. Sweet VERY malty caramely aroma with some atypical belgian spice in there. Not exactly to style of a scottish ale but the belgians tend to do their own thing anyway. The flavor is pretty sweet in typical scottish fashion but there is a distinct belgian feel to it in terms of the malt profile. Not bad at all but perhaps a bit sweet for me. The mouthfeel is decently heavy but not overwhelming. Overall it's a bit sweet for me but not a bad beer if I'm in that mood.

10-31-2007 04:04:57 | More by drseamus
geexploitation

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clear mahogany color with a sticky yellow cream head that fades to just a dusting soon after the pour. The nose is full of yeasty smells, along with sugared, slightly sour dates, hints of licorice and some bubblegum. There's little wee heavy, in my opinion, in the aroma. The palate, though, is a different story, and the Belgian elements and the Scottish influence come into focus here. Some acidity first off and some brisk carbonation, followed by some rich, chocolatey and nutty malts combined with dark fruit esters. The finish turns sweet and shows some bubblegum and tropical fruit notes. Overall, this is a successful hybrid of Belgian and Scottish. It's interesting, tasty, and cohesive. Well done.

10-15-2007 03:54:31 | More by geexploitation
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A = Pours a dark amber and leaves a nice light brownish head. Nice lacing on the glass

S= A hing of malty aroma, apple turnover, some spiciness

T = great taste, pretty much same as the smell, caramel apple, hint of maltiness and a tiny but of spice on the edge

M = I guess I can see how an earlier reviewer said this does not have the usual mouth feel of a wee heavy. Despite that though judging this as just a good beer the mouthfeel is not heavy, carbonation is very pleasant. I could probably down a few of these if it weren't so expensive.

D = Very good, you barely feel the 8% at all. I guess thats what those nutty belgians are good at huh. I could plow threw a few of these.

This beer is pretty damn good. I picked it up on accident. It cost 9 bucks for a 750ml bottle here and it was on the wrong shelf. If I knew it was that much I probably would not have picked it up. But its quite good. If it like 4-5 bucks a bottle I would pick up a few and have a wild night!

08-22-2007 01:48:27 | More by TheBeerWolf
bristerboy

2.53/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle with no "best by" date. I thought this Belgian attempt at a Scottish "wee heavy" was disappointing in that some of the distinguishing characteristics I look for in a "wee heavy" were missing; namely the warmth in the mouth due to the increased alcohol content and the thicker , heavier weight of the beer in your mouth. I also did not care for the definite sour aftertaste left by this beer. The normal malty taste was not noticed due to the sourness. Maybe a had a bad bottle.
I did not notice any hoppy taste, which would does agree with the "wee heavy" profile.

Not a bad ale, just not what I think of when I reach for a Scottish export.

08-08-2007 12:47:33 | More by bristerboy
John_M

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Max's the other night. Never heard of this beer or the brewery and have to say I really enjoyed it.

The beer pours an amber brown color with hints of orange. The beer has a very dense creamy head with excellent lacing. The nose is pretty interesting, with sort of a dry maltiness, but interspersed with a sour/tart overlay. On the palate this beer is delicious. The beer is pretty sweet, but finishes dry. I get flavors if casaba melon and ranier cherries, and later as it warms up honey, butter and butterscotch. The beer has a very impressive light, creamy mouthfeel, and I have to say this beer is just entirely too drinkable. There's just enough hops to keep the sweetness from ever becoming cloying, and the 8% abv. is extremely well disguised. So drinkable.... I think I'll have another right now!

Very impressive...

08-05-2007 16:36:52 | More by John_M
climbtowers

Colorado

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

Like some other reviewers, I am hoping I got a bad bottle. I have another bottle and will give it a second chance.

I am a huge fan of this style, my staples are McEwans, Skullsplitter and Traquir House. Scotch Silly does not belong in that company, nor does it belong in my fridge.

Poured out flat, no head (again, bad bottle?) Amber color but not attractive in the glass.

Smells of apples, roasted malts and hint of Belgian yeast.

Taste is where this beer falls apart for me. Too sweet. Smoky, but like a campfire after you poured water on it. Someone mentioned Canadian whisky, yes that flavor is there, but it was the cheap stuff that makes you shake your head violently after it goes down. Better in big gulps rather than sips.

Mouthfeel is ok, nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: Got through most of it. Last inch or so in the drain.

With so many good reviews for this beer, I hope that my second bottle will be better, Will revise review if needed.

08-03-2007 02:57:39 | More by climbtowers
IntriqKen

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a massive off white head atop it's dark reddish amber clear liquid. The head melts slowly to a nice covering of sticky lacing.

Aroma doesn't have as much of a smokey character as I would expect from a Scotch ale but there is a nice toasted sweet amber malt aroma that yields slowly to alcohol.

Taste is where this beer shines. The malts are sugary sweet yet not cloying and the smokey toastiness comes through very nicely as you swallow. Finish is mostly a warming alcohol comfort.

Very nice Scotch Ale. I wish I had picked up more.

07-09-2007 00:59:14 | More by IntriqKen
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at Ebenezer's, served in a tulip glass. A dark brown color with a thick head. A fruity aroma, with a malt presence. The taste was all dark fruit, grainy. A real mouthful, and fun to drink. An interesting interpretation of a Scotch Ale. You can definitely see the strong Belgian influence.

06-20-2007 13:10:23 | More by lordofthewiens
KingG

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Received as a sample from my sales rep.

Served at cellar temperature and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Dark copper colored beer with very dark edges. The head on this beer is what saved the appearance. Nice fluffy, sand colored head that leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Small is above-average. Crisp red apple and sweet Belgium candy sugar. Very sweet aroma. Earthy malts in the background.

Taste is not impressive. First sip, huge sweet, sugary malty flavor that finishes very metallic. Second sip, more metallic taste. One of the few beers i had to eventually pour down the drain. Too much metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is average. Finishes thin and too sweet.

Drinkability is bad. Drain pour. Nuff said.

Overall:
Looked good but failed to deliver. Metallic flavor killed everything. Bad example of the style. Not recommended.

06-09-2007 07:50:08 | More by KingG
bradford

I was pretty surprised by the taste and mouthfeel on this one. It tasted much more like a Belgian Strong Dark ale to me. I was expecting the malty backbone I got, but this tasted "Belgiany" all the way down. I liked it at first, but it got real old, real fast. And I became increasingly upset that I didn't get what I paid for. I wanted a Wee Heavy and got a B.S.D. Not reccomended.

05-23-2007 02:40:13 | More by bradford
July2Nov

Hawaii

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Has a walnut brown tone with a very decent lace.
S: Nutty aroma with a slight caramel tint.
T&M: Has a very upfront strong natural tastte to it. You can really taste the alcohol, which in turn leaves the mouth with that numb sensation.
D: One is all this guy could go for in this session and no mas after that.

05-18-2007 17:07:01 | More by July2Nov
joedon

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

I'm surprised by how much I like this beer. The taste is exceptional: sherry, raisins, blackberries and crystal malt all come through. Very lightly hopped per the Scottish style. Aroma also of sherry, vanilla and fruit.
Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet.
Big foamy tan head tops a slightly murky dark amber beer.
Michael Jackson makes a big deal about this beer on his "Beerhunter" video and now I understand why.

04-20-2007 19:43:35 | More by joedon
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

330ml bottle bought from Belgianshop.com...

Poured a dark copper / chestnut colour. Creamy head poured big, thick and foamy then faded quite slowly to thickish layer... sparse carbonation... lots of sticky lacing coats the glass almost until the end..

Aroma - Nice lightly toasted biscuity malts, fairly strong toffee / caramel sweetness, nutmeg hints, spicy / peppery hop bitterness, typical Belgian bready / yeasty notes, spicy fruits (raisins, figs, oranges), quite strong rum / whiskey traces, some butterscotch...

Taste – Quite strong sweet toasty caramel malts, buttery, some treacle notes, toffee, alcohol soaked fruits (figs, dates, bitter orages), peppery hops, oaky hints, creamy notes, warming scotch alcohol traces, bready, quite nutty...

Feel - Very smooth and velvety... medium bodied... This would be a little too sweet and strong to be very drinkable - more of a sipping beer...

Overall - A very good example of a scotch ale although it may be a little sweet for some... a nice winter warner though.. recommended

03-27-2007 10:56:48 | More by mdagnew
Tawnos

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a reddish brown with a pillowy head. Leaves lacing on the glass as it dissolves back down. Not a lot of carbonation showing in the glass.

Smells sweet, almost cotton candy like. Slight alcohol presence in the nose. Nothing unpleasant, but nothing amazing.

Tastes overly sweet, metallic. Strong syrupy sugars and very little hop bitterness. Not a whole lot of complexity. Has something of an overripe fruit taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and enjoyable. The sugary sweetness hides any alcohol astringency.

Drinkabilty is average. A bit high on the alcohol and low on the flavor for me to seek it out again.

02-13-2007 06:12:28 | More by Tawnos
geetlord

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

The bartender gave me this beer calling it a Belgain scotch ale, and I can certainly see why. It carries many of the standard features of any strong dark belgain ales, very malty lots of dark fruits and a touch of caramel. It also caries some pleasant smokiness which I greatly enjoyed. the mouthfeel was smooth with apropriate carbonation. There was enough complexity to make it very drinkable.
Overall I enjoyed this beer and would order it again at the bar quite readily.

01-21-2007 04:31:46 | More by geetlord
Photo of

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle.

Slightly hazy, dark amber color. Large, rocky, light tan head. Lots of lacing.

Smell was sweet, with caramel and fruit at the forefront. Fruit seemed to be peaches. Hints of Belgian earthiness in there. Just a touch of grass scent, but very mild.

Taste was very sweet, and right in line with aroma. Honey drenched peaches and pears. Touch of medicinal/phenolic taste in the middle, not appealing. Finish, like the scent, offered just a bit of bitterness.

Medium + in body. Low to medium carbonation. Not drying, but mouthcoating, almost to the point of being cloying.

For me, this beer was way too sweet. From what I understand about the style, this interpretation is a bit off the mark. Not one I will return to.

01-02-2007 16:32:58 | More by
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours caramel with a rocky 3 fingers sand colored head. Insane lacing & very good head retention

S: Sweet caramel notes & fruittyness

T: Caramel sweetness up front, then dryness. Hints of hop tea, pipe tobbaacco & leather follow. Molasses & chocolate notes follow. Finishes fruitty, jammy & warming

MF: Juicy, medium bodied, low carbonation & skews malty like you'd expect from the style

Drinks easy for the abv, could have a few before moving on. Not the best wee heavy/scotch ale I've ever had, but not bad

12-24-2006 05:50:38 | More by russpowell
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Interesting interpretation of a scotch ale/wee heavy. A little on the copper/brown side of what I'm used to. Head is also fairly vigorous compared to other scotch ale's I've had.

Sweet smell, almost overly sweet. Alcohol noticeable. Is that candy sugar? Scent is morre akin to a Belgian strong dark or tripel.

Sweet malty taste. Again, candy sugar. And caramel. However, there is a definite suggestion of a wee heavy. A decidedly Belgian stance on a scotch ale. No alcohol on the taste.

Despite its departure from the standard of a wee heavy, this is actually a very good, drinkable beer. Certainly too sweet to have more than one, maybe too, but it is by no means offensive to the palate.

12-23-2006 08:47:06 | More by BDTyre
bluejacket74

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a brownish/red color with a good sized tan head. Head retention is good, with excellent lacing. The main aroma I smell is caramel malt. Overall it smells sweet, and a bit like dark fruit and some spicyness. It tastes like caramel and butterscotch, very, very sweet. The body is medium/full, with a low amount of carbonation. The alcohol is hid pretty well. Drinkability is pretty good, but it would be better if it wasn't so sweet. Overall I think it's good, and I'd drink it again.

12-21-2006 02:00:22 | More by bluejacket74
Cresant

Kentucky

Poured this 12 oz. undated brown bottle into a nonic. A large three fingers + of tan head was achieved. Head was comprised of large "rootbeer float type" bubbles. The body was cloudy and reddish muddy brown. Sticky lace and a cap of foam remained throughout the drink.

Smell was spicy, malty and sweet. Well hidden alcohol.

Taste was sweet but not cloying. Tangy tart fruitiness, prunes perhaps. Not especially complex but enjoyable. This was my first scotch ale.

Mouthfeel was smooth and full bodied. Carbonation was low. I enjoyed this one but I will not return to it.

12-08-2006 15:43:49 | More by Cresant
davidchollar

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

This silly little beer pours out a very dark amber, light around the edges. Big, whipped-creamy thick head sticks around for a long time, never really goes away. Great color, awesome head, this is a pretty beer. The appearance is similar to some of my all-time favorites - it's a great look for a beer so it gets a bonus half point.

The smell is nice, but pretty subtle at first. I can smell the sweet and boozy malt bomb I expect from a scotch ale / wee heavy. I'm drinking straight out of the fridge so I imagine it will improve as it warms. Taste is intense and satisfying immediately. I didn't want to wait around for it to warm up a bit, and it turns out you really don't have to. Scotch Silly is obviously a very well made ale, very tasty and with a nice mouthfeel. It's sweet, but has a nice strong finish that makes it very drinkable. Purchased on a whim (read: I didn't remember it when I saw it at a store, didn't know the BA score), I don't regret it. I'd definitely get it again.

11-27-2006 13:41:34 | More by davidchollar
kmo1030

3.45/5  rDev -7%

cloudy brown with a thin bubbly head...
lots of malt in the nose, a little fruity a littel raw wort, and a little brown sugary caramel. faintly metallic.
very sweet brown sugary caramel again here in the taste, along lighter fruit flavors mostly apple, and almost cidery. thankfully there is a hint of peat in here to remind us of the style this is supposed to be. there is a little bit of iron providing some metallic bitterness towards the finish.
slightly fuller side of medium bodied with light carbonation.
a little on the difficult side to drink as it is quite sweet. also perhaps because i cracked this open expecting a little bit more of a scotch ale than a dubbel sort of a deal.

10-31-2006 00:27:08 | More by kmo1030
BuckSpin

Maine

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Hmm..a Scotch Ale brewed in Belgium.

Color is great, a rich, amberesque honey toned hue, warm. A beautiful 1" head of a dirty cream colored foam of mixed bubbles that laced subtly as I drank. Visually a very sharp & appealing beer.

Nose is interesting. Fresh out of the bottle I swear I smell sweet fruit like strawberry, but it fades immediately. Overtones of rich caramel, sharpness, maybe pine? A deeper, richer undercurrent of malt is apparent as it warms.

Its syrupy, sorta sweet, some more caramel tones, very even...no real peaks or valleys on the tongue or pallete...nice. Rich, a little thick, subtly creamy, some earth/peaty traces, traces of honey. The finish is also thick & a bit syrupy, bittersweet, then a rush of hard wood like oak...nice.

Unlike other beers with a high ABV, this doesn't warm the mouth but instead "tickles" the teeth...odd.

Its good, perhaps a bit syrupy sweet/rich, but good. I would recommend it, but honestly couldn't see sessioning this one. Enjoy it as a solo star.

10-10-2006 02:10:55 | More by BuckSpin
Scotch De Silly from Brasserie de Silly S.A.