Scotch De Silly - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Scotch De SillyScotch De Silly

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-31-2002

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%

Smelled great. A nice malty smell with a bit of Belgian funk and a dash of ethanol. Taste was a little off to me. A bit harsh with a pronounced metallic aftertaste. Definately nice and malty and fairly sweet. Definately something a little strange in the aftertaste though, something that sits under my tongue and reminds me of licking a 9V battery kind of, but not that intense. Maybe it has something to do with the age of the bottle. Not sure how old or previous storage conditions, was a Xmas gift.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

This one was poured from a 750ml corked and caged. Pours a very dark ruby red with an off white head. The smell is slightly sour and musty which made me very excited for the beer to come. There was a strong dark fruit scent and some slight malt. The taste was not as great. The dark fruits were there and some of the sour but nowhere near the Scotch Ale style. The mouthfeel was a little oily but not bad. The drinkabilty was average due to the high sweetness from the dark fruits that was not balanced by the carbonation which was low.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First time for scotch ale. Nice brown ale color with creamy head with lacing galore ... poured from a lovely green bottle. Taste is real malty sweetness and the texture is nice and smooth. If this is typical Scottish ale, then I'm in! Made in Belgium though and tastes like a good tripel.

Goes down well while listening to the music of European improvisor Paul Dunmall on his sax or bagpipe. Also goes well while watching the Rangers play soccer in the Scottish Premier League. The Rangers have become (Team America) now having THREE Americans on board. Bocanegra, Maurice Edu, and my main man Alex Bedoya!! (Alex is the Future)

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Poured with little head that left a brown coating around the outside of the liquid. It is a dark brown, almost creamy coffee in look.

Holy Moly is this sweet on the nose. Caramel, Toffee, nougat, mainly sweet toffee. Spiced Pear seems to come through.

Sweet toffee hits you straight away, with a Caramel finish. It is like drinking caramel chocolate. It never expected this, as this is the first Scotch Ale I have ever tried, and it is wonderful. Amazing flavours, just nice and sweet.

It is scary to think this is 8% alcohol, as I could knock this back all night long if I had to. There is little carbonation and it slides down your throat with ease.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

An 11.2 ounce bottle that I picked up at the Liquor Barn in Louisville, KY. It got my curious. What was a Belgian brewery doing making a Scotch Ale? The bottle was sitting on the bottom shelf and just looked like it had been there awhile.

The beer poured a dark bronze with some orange and ruby red hues. A tan head that disolved nicely into lace. Bottle conditioned with a crusty layer of yeast on the bottom, suggesting further that this beer may have been around the store for awhile.

Malt with the requisite malt sweetness; also dark fruits (plum).

This beer is sweet! Not as in sweeet, but really sweet. Just shy of cloyingly sweet. There is a caramel/plum combination going on here. (Makes me think the NC state fair should try a caramel dipped plum...but then again, they'd probalby fry it.) I also get dried cherries from this. I pick up some old ale characteristics from this beer.

Full body, somewhat chewy, with a sweet and fruity aftertaste.

Worth a try, but probably not another anytime soon.

2.33/5  rDev -36.9%

A: redish brown haze, good head and super lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet malts smacks you upside of the head and there seems to be a little freshness in the back of the glass to revive me.

T: Caramel malts big time, unusual flavor for sure - I can't say it is enjoyable. Everytime I think there maybe some undertones to taste the sweetness smacks it down. If you like sweet this is for you. I even tried to eat and the beer just got worst. Made the plain penuts taste bad.

M: Medium. It is the sweetness on the taste that gives it a medium structure along with that UFO flavor. Nothing is really left on the palate but .... a little sweetness. Then, it's gone.

D: It's a sipper. And, I could not see drinking more than one. For me I could see not drinking it!!! I have to admit I do not like over the top sweetness in a beer. Cotton candy yes. Beer No.

I had better expectations for this beer. To bad.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Nice head retention over a caramel colored beer. The aroma was roasted malt with spicy undertones. The taste was of spiced malt with evident alcohol. The mouthfeel was full and smooth, but too potent a beer to drink more than one or two at a time.

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle at cellar temperature into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a dense dark cream head that stayed with the beer. Showed moderate to heavy lacing. Color is dark garnet, very clear, with lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Not much going on in the nose. Some malt and even honey notes, and perhaps some ripe red fruit, but all very muted.

T: Some red fruit and lots of malt sweetness predominate the flavor. There is also some earthiness that I find hard to characterize. A strong impression of honey is present too, which is interesting because I do not believe that honey is used in this beer. Alcohol is not noticeable. Ends on a strong sour note.

M: I perceive a heavy diacetyl content. Mouthfeel is buttery, and too dense.

D: Because of the out-of-balance mouthfeel, I would find it difficult to drink a lot of this.

Overall: The concept of a Belgian-brewed Scotch-style ale is very appealing. Apart from that novelty, however, this beer disappoints. It lacks most of the malt complexity that can be found in the finer examples of the style. I do not know the age of the bottle; it is possible that it is simply past its prime. In any event, I could not finish the bottle.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

I was pretty surprised by the taste and mouthfeel on this one. It tasted much more like a Belgian Strong Dark ale to me. I was expecting the malty backbone I got, but this tasted "Belgiany" all the way down. I liked it at first, but it got real old, real fast. And I became increasingly upset that I didn't get what I paid for. I wanted a Wee Heavy and got a B.S.D. Not reccomended.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Light tan creamish colored head. Thin head remains, but good overall cover and excellent lacing on the glass. darker brown color with light ruby highlights. Has raisiny, plummish smell, but lighter aroma to have darker fruit smells. Smells fruitier more than anything, no hop or malt present. Moderate carbonation. Very dark sweet taste in beginning of drink, actually very metallic in middle and finish of drink. Alcohol and dryness present in finish. Finish nice in that it fades. Raisiny shows through on the swallow and finish, definitely present in long term finish. Overall pretty good, first encounter with a beer that had that super metallicy taste present. I think I kind of like it...maybe.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Had a bottle of this at the Beer bistro a while back and just rediscovered my tasting notes.

A thick head off white head crowns the dark murky body. Minimal lacing supports ok retention.

The nose is strong on malt notes; burnt brown sugar, as one would expect. Some more unusual spicy notes caramel, cinnamon; possibly from the yeast.

A strong chewy malt center, juicy at times. Some of the flavours are reminiscent of berries. Toasty malt rounds out the palate lingering on into the finish. Next to no trace of hops. The body is oily and vicious with a medium low carbonation.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer pours a cloudy hazel color with a medium head and minimal lacing...has the smell of nuts and fruits...the alcohol scent is also very present. Tastes like many of the Belgian ales I have tasted in the past but it is quite sweet and leaves me with a the feeling that you get when you drink too much dark soda. Very syrupy aftertaste...my girlfriend likens it to a mouthful of nickels.
I consider it to be a fair to decent ale.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

A nice beer sampled at the Heritage Belgian Beer cafe in the Rocks, Sydney. It was their beer of the month, and I hear a very difficult beer to get your hands on.
The Scotch was poured with little finess from the waitress, but hapilly, she didn't pour all of it. I poured it with a thick head, opaque brown in coulour, and with the aroma of sweet malt, scotch whisky, dried fruits and brandy(?). Tasted frickin beautiful! The perfect melding of 2 great brewing worlds! The big Belgian beauties, and the artistic Wee Heavy. Had all the reminiscent flavours of the Scottish interpretation, malt, malt, caramel, roasted notes, a slight peat(?), malt, and then the Belgian twist with the yeast and fermentation characteristics!

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Although I really like the style, I thought this beer was sort of average.
A brown brew with small soapy head that didn't last very long.
The smell and taste were typical; molasses, caramel, plums, sour fruityoghurt and some roastiness and smokiness.
A bit too sweet and cloying for me to be really convincing though. Of the scotch ales that are avaiblable in Belgium I think I prefer Gordon's and Campbell's over this.

I had the pleasure of having this beer on tap not too long ago at a bar in Philly called Zot.
It pours a nice chestnut brown with a white one finger head that disappears after a few sips. It smells sweet with an aroma of warm alcohol. Tastes the same way with a malt flavor that really comes through strong. It is a well rounded ale and since it was on tap it may have been a higher alcohol content due to it being a wee heavy. Not too carbonated and easy to drink. I had it with steak and stoemp bacon Belgian style. This beer was good on tap if you can find it on tap, try it.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

330 mL bottle with green label and cap with green figure.

Appearance: One finger head. Caramel/tea color. Dark but still somwhat transluscent.

Smell: Caramel/chocolate/tea odor.

Taste: Chocolate flavor, somewhat alcoholy, tea like as well.

Mouthfeel: Watery mouthfeel, expected more smooth/creamy feel.

Drinkability: Mighty tasty brew. Much stronger caramel/chocolate flavor than the other belgians I have been drinking lately.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Dark Murky Brown. Big Bubbles with a tiny head around the edges.

S: smokey and malty with some sweet notes of Candy Sugar.

T: Interesting flavor combination. You can tell it's a scottish by the kettle caramelization and peaty smokey notes, But it also has some belgian characteristics from the malts, candy sugar, and perhaps honey. Super Sweet but not overwhelmingly.

MF: Thick and Creamy with a little tingle from low carbonation. More of a Alcohol burn as it warms up.

D: A very mellow 8%. Goes down smooth and is enjoyable. would be perfect on a cold night.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

The bartender gave me this beer calling it a Belgain scotch ale, and I can certainly see why. It carries many of the standard features of any strong dark belgain ales, very malty lots of dark fruits and a touch of caramel. It also caries some pleasant smokiness which I greatly enjoyed. the mouthfeel was smooth with apropriate carbonation. There was enough complexity to make it very drinkable.
Overall I enjoyed this beer and would order it again at the bar quite readily.

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%

Received as a sample from my sales rep.

Served at cellar temperature and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Dark copper colored beer with very dark edges. The head on this beer is what saved the appearance. Nice fluffy, sand colored head that leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Small is above-average. Crisp red apple and sweet Belgium candy sugar. Very sweet aroma. Earthy malts in the background.

Taste is not impressive. First sip, huge sweet, sugary malty flavor that finishes very metallic. Second sip, more metallic taste. One of the few beers i had to eventually pour down the drain. Too much metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is average. Finishes thin and too sweet.

Drinkability is bad. Drain pour. Nuff said.

Looked good but failed to deliver. Metallic flavor killed everything. Bad example of the style. Not recommended.

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Served on tap in a thisle glass.
Appearance-dark red color. small amount of head.
Smell-heavy notes of malt coming through.
Taste- wonderful earthy malt notes coming throug, small amount of alcohol on the finish.
Mouthfeel-quite pleasant.
Overall-great scotch ale, from Belgium of all places, a lot mellower than most scotch ales. I will be seeking this beer out again.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

I am for some reason sure that "Belgian Scotch Ale" is a different style than "Scotch Ale" itself and is somehow derived from almost century old (WW1 ish) attempts to recreate it in Belgium but must apologise as can't back up this claim. Pours much lighter than I expected yet is quite dark colour for an ale and admitedly right in the ball park for a scotch. Is hard to review this to style as I have had few of the "old country" originals. It tastes of a very malty, smoky ale to me but with that dangerous belgian secret of hiding ludicrous alcohol contents behind it which has profoundly affected this review I must admit.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

This was the beer for the soup course at the beer dinner on 4/4/09 at Kindling.

A: This was a fun one. As soon as the bottles were opened, it started coming up and even foamed out. We had to get towels to set under the bottles to let this calm down before pouring. Once poured it was a brown with orange/copper highlights around the edge.

S: I get the earthiness from the yeast, some caramel tones, and a little fruit sweetness.

T: I was surprised with this one. A Scottish style from a Belgian - what to expect? It started out with the sweetness I've come to expect in a Scottish ale. On the back edge I got some of the spices and a warming effect that I've come to expect from Belgian ales. From what style the fruit tones come from, I'm not sure but they are there.

M: It's a rich beer but it feels good. Even with the angry foam when opened I didn't feel as if this was over carbonated.

D: I liked this one. It was very enjoyable. With most of the good beers I've come across, I would limit myself to one per session.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Deep reddish-copper pour with thick, creamy off-white head. Decent carbonation. Next to no lacing.

Caramelly sweet nose with what can only be described as a whiff of Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts. Not as good as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is smooth, round, and full. Caramel sweetness follows through on the palate with an almost piney mid-palate. Too much sweetness to finish a 750ml. Higher carbonation would have helped lighten it and make it more drinkable.

Overall an okay beer, but nothing spectacular. A Belgian-brewed Scotch style ale...not sure what to expect, but wanted more.

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Another product that I got thanks to www.quebecbiere.info private import in Québec for Belgian beers !

There is no sign of a bottling date on this beer but I suspect it's around mid 2009. I've been holding on to a few Scotch Silly beers for over a year now so...do the math!
I served it in an official Scoth Silly glasse witch is actualy in a tulip form. I get a shady brownish color with red tints and a loose white head...fades away pretty fast. Signs of heavy carbonation as well..Nice appearance overall.

the smell is not to pronounced, kinda weird for this type of beer. I get a little Praline and Malt notes. I can also smell that 8 % ABV along with brown sugar and a spices like cardamome.
Give it a couple swerles and let the aromas out and along with the gas !

The taste starts off with a kick of caramel Malt and sugar, becomes quite watery on the palate, I kinda feel like its missing something, and then finishes dry with a rusty metalic taste. Last time I had one of those, was a couple of months ago and I remember having alot more fun with this beer than I am tonight.
Its quite sweet and heavy on the carbonation so having only one after a meal is just fine or else your gonna feel pretty full and heavy.
Overall its a nice beer, nice brewery and who doesn't like Scoth Ales ??
Try it out !

Cheers lads

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

This is my first Scottish ale. This is a 330 ml bottle with an attractive green label. There is no freshness date. Pours a dark orange to brown with about 2 fingers of fluffy tan head that reduces to a thin layer only covering the top of the beer. Nice lace is left on the glass. The aroma is of toffee and malt. This is a medium bodied beer. The taste is of toffee and caramel, and you can really notice the alcohol. I really enjoyed this beer. This beer make me want to try more Scottish ales. It is a little to much alcohol to enjoy more then 1 or 2 of these.

Scotch De Silly from Brasserie de Silly S.A.