2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Scotch De Silly - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Scotch De SillyScotch De Silly

good

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-31-2002)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 314 | Reviews: 208 | Show All Ratings:
fostachild

Ontario (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%

750ml bottle - poured a bit more than half, re-corked the rest for tomorrow.

pours a cloudy brown/red colour. quite a bit of nice light tan/off-white head - also decent lacing for a while.

smell was really intriguing. sour and sweet - had wine, fruit, a hint of alcohol.

taste was awesome - sweet/fruity, berries, malt, alcohol, and a bitter caramel aftertaste. obviously heavy but still well balanced, great carbonation, and good drinkability. love when i get my hands on a scotch silly, have really enjoyed it every time i've tried it. overall just a great scotch ale, easily one of my favorites to date.

11-09-2011 02:30:52 | More by fostachild
hackmann

2.28/5  rDev -38.4%

A: redish brown haze, good head and super lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet malts smacks you upside of the head and there seems to be a little freshness in the back of the glass to revive me.

T: Caramel malts big time, unusual flavor for sure - I can't say it is enjoyable. Everytime I think there maybe some undertones to taste the sweetness smacks it down. If you like sweet this is for you. I even tried to eat and the beer just got worst. Made the plain penuts taste bad.

M: Medium. It is the sweetness on the taste that gives it a medium structure along with that UFO flavor. Nothing is really left on the palate but .... a little sweetness. Then, it's gone.

D: It's a sipper. And, I could not see drinking more than one. For me I could see not drinking it!!! I have to admit I do not like over the top sweetness in a beer. Cotton candy yes. Beer No.

I had better expectations for this beer. To bad.

02-08-2010 01:16:43 | More by hackmann
ryanocerus

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice head retention over a caramel colored beer. The aroma was roasted malt with spicy undertones. The taste was of spiced malt with evident alcohol. The mouthfeel was full and smooth, but too potent a beer to drink more than one or two at a time.

09-10-2002 12:05:12 | More by ryanocerus
neorunner

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured as dark rich red color in my Unibroue tulip with a inch and a half of dense head that dissipates into a few large bubbles and a thin layer of thick head. Thick lacing sticking to the sides of the glass. Aroma is dark fruit and malt with a slight alcohol tinge on the finish. Flavor is sweet, rich, robust and all kinds of malt. Also kinda get a tinge of mint in the finish. Body is thick and smooth with a slightly resinous finish that doesn't linger long. This is a nice scotch ale, not over the top in the sweetness department which seems to be the common trend. Don't really want more than one in a row, but definitely enjoy the one I do/will have.

07-30-2010 01:56:27 | More by neorunner
bradford

I was pretty surprised by the taste and mouthfeel on this one. It tasted much more like a Belgian Strong Dark ale to me. I was expecting the malty backbone I got, but this tasted "Belgiany" all the way down. I liked it at first, but it got real old, real fast. And I became increasingly upset that I didn't get what I paid for. I wanted a Wee Heavy and got a B.S.D. Not reccomended.

05-23-2007 02:40:13 | More by bradford
despainmakesbeer

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Light tan creamish colored head. Thin head remains, but good overall cover and excellent lacing on the glass. darker brown color with light ruby highlights. Has raisiny, plummish smell, but lighter aroma to have darker fruit smells. Smells fruitier more than anything, no hop or malt present. Moderate carbonation. Very dark sweet taste in beginning of drink, actually very metallic in middle and finish of drink. Alcohol and dryness present in finish. Finish nice in that it fades. Raisiny shows through on the swallow and finish, definitely present in long term finish. Overall pretty good, first encounter with a beer that had that super metallicy taste present. I think I kind of like it...maybe.

11-23-2010 04:06:28 | More by despainmakesbeer
MCDuhamel

2.05/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle at cellar temperature into a tulip glass.

A: Poured a dense dark cream head that stayed with the beer. Showed moderate to heavy lacing. Color is dark garnet, very clear, with lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Not much going on in the nose. Some malt and even honey notes, and perhaps some ripe red fruit, but all very muted.

T: Some red fruit and lots of malt sweetness predominate the flavor. There is also some earthiness that I find hard to characterize. A strong impression of honey is present too, which is interesting because I do not believe that honey is used in this beer. Alcohol is not noticeable. Ends on a strong sour note.

M: I perceive a heavy diacetyl content. Mouthfeel is buttery, and too dense.

D: Because of the out-of-balance mouthfeel, I would find it difficult to drink a lot of this.

Overall: The concept of a Belgian-brewed Scotch-style ale is very appealing. Apart from that novelty, however, this beer disappoints. It lacks most of the malt complexity that can be found in the finer examples of the style. I do not know the age of the bottle; it is possible that it is simply past its prime. In any event, I could not finish the bottle.

11-11-2007 01:10:28 | More by MCDuhamel
Reinheitsgebot71

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Had a bottle of this at the Beer bistro a while back and just rediscovered my tasting notes.

A thick head off white head crowns the dark murky body. Minimal lacing supports ok retention.

The nose is strong on malt notes; burnt brown sugar, as one would expect. Some more unusual spicy notes caramel, cinnamon; possibly from the yeast.

A strong chewy malt center, juicy at times. Some of the flavours are reminiscent of berries. Toasty malt rounds out the palate lingering on into the finish. Next to no trace of hops. The body is oily and vicious with a medium low carbonation.

06-11-2011 16:32:43 | More by Reinheitsgebot71
rustymoore

Tennessee

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

This beer pours a cloudy hazel color with a medium head and minimal lacing...has the smell of nuts and fruits...the alcohol scent is also very present. Tastes like many of the Belgian ales I have tasted in the past but it is quite sweet and leaves me with a the feeling that you get when you drink too much dark soda. Very syrupy aftertaste...my girlfriend likens it to a mouthful of nickels.
I consider it to be a fair to decent ale.

01-29-2006 03:39:48 | More by rustymoore
revdrjbob

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

A nice beer sampled at the Heritage Belgian Beer cafe in the Rocks, Sydney. It was their beer of the month, and I hear a very difficult beer to get your hands on.
The Scotch was poured with little finess from the waitress, but hapilly, she didn't pour all of it. I poured it with a thick head, opaque brown in coulour, and with the aroma of sweet malt, scotch whisky, dried fruits and brandy(?). Tasted frickin beautiful! The perfect melding of 2 great brewing worlds! The big Belgian beauties, and the artistic Wee Heavy. Had all the reminiscent flavours of the Scottish interpretation, malt, malt, caramel, roasted notes, a slight peat(?), malt, and then the Belgian twist with the yeast and fermentation characteristics!
Superb!

07-12-2004 09:36:07 | More by revdrjbob
Paddez

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Although I really like the style, I thought this beer was sort of average.
A brown brew with small soapy head that didn't last very long.
The smell and taste were typical; molasses, caramel, plums, sour fruityoghurt and some roastiness and smokiness.
A bit too sweet and cloying for me to be really convincing though. Of the scotch ales that are avaiblable in Belgium I think I prefer Gordon's and Campbell's over this.

08-01-2005 19:16:20 | More by Paddez
ROMER79

I had the pleasure of having this beer on tap not too long ago at a bar in Philly called Zot.
It pours a nice chestnut brown with a white one finger head that disappears after a few sips. It smells sweet with an aroma of warm alcohol. Tastes the same way with a malt flavor that really comes through strong. It is a well rounded ale and since it was on tap it may have been a higher alcohol content due to it being a wee heavy. Not too carbonated and easy to drink. I had it with steak and stoemp bacon Belgian style. This beer was good on tap if you can find it on tap, try it.

02-19-2008 04:33:52 | More by ROMER79
OatherS

Kansas

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

330 mL bottle with green label and cap with green figure.

Appearance: One finger head. Caramel/tea color. Dark but still somwhat transluscent.

Smell: Caramel/chocolate/tea odor.

Taste: Chocolate flavor, somewhat alcoholy, tea like as well.

Mouthfeel: Watery mouthfeel, expected more smooth/creamy feel.

Drinkability: Mighty tasty brew. Much stronger caramel/chocolate flavor than the other belgians I have been drinking lately.

04-19-2005 00:16:57 | More by OatherS
rmolledo

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Dark Murky Brown. Big Bubbles with a tiny head around the edges.

S: smokey and malty with some sweet notes of Candy Sugar.

T: Interesting flavor combination. You can tell it's a scottish by the kettle caramelization and peaty smokey notes, But it also has some belgian characteristics from the malts, candy sugar, and perhaps honey. Super Sweet but not overwhelmingly.

MF: Thick and Creamy with a little tingle from low carbonation. More of a Alcohol burn as it warms up.

D: A very mellow 8%. Goes down smooth and is enjoyable. would be perfect on a cold night.

05-30-2010 03:04:27 | More by rmolledo
geetlord

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

The bartender gave me this beer calling it a Belgain scotch ale, and I can certainly see why. It carries many of the standard features of any strong dark belgain ales, very malty lots of dark fruits and a touch of caramel. It also caries some pleasant smokiness which I greatly enjoyed. the mouthfeel was smooth with apropriate carbonation. There was enough complexity to make it very drinkable.
Overall I enjoyed this beer and would order it again at the bar quite readily.

01-21-2007 04:31:46 | More by geetlord
KingG

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

Received as a sample from my sales rep.

Served at cellar temperature and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Dark copper colored beer with very dark edges. The head on this beer is what saved the appearance. Nice fluffy, sand colored head that leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Small is above-average. Crisp red apple and sweet Belgium candy sugar. Very sweet aroma. Earthy malts in the background.

Taste is not impressive. First sip, huge sweet, sugary malty flavor that finishes very metallic. Second sip, more metallic taste. One of the few beers i had to eventually pour down the drain. Too much metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is average. Finishes thin and too sweet.

Drinkability is bad. Drain pour. Nuff said.

Overall:
Looked good but failed to deliver. Metallic flavor killed everything. Bad example of the style. Not recommended.

06-09-2007 07:50:08 | More by KingG
HopNelius

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Served on tap in a thisle glass.
Appearance-dark red color. small amount of head.
Smell-heavy notes of malt coming through.
Taste- wonderful earthy malt notes coming throug, small amount of alcohol on the finish.
Mouthfeel-quite pleasant.
Overall-great scotch ale, from Belgium of all places, a lot mellower than most scotch ales. I will be seeking this beer out again.

01-23-2012 00:17:52 | More by HopNelius
jahsausage

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

I am for some reason sure that "Belgian Scotch Ale" is a different style than "Scotch Ale" itself and is somehow derived from almost century old (WW1 ish) attempts to recreate it in Belgium but must apologise as can't back up this claim. Pours much lighter than I expected yet is quite dark colour for an ale and admitedly right in the ball park for a scotch. Is hard to review this to style as I have had few of the "old country" originals. It tastes of a very malty, smoky ale to me but with that dangerous belgian secret of hiding ludicrous alcohol contents behind it which has profoundly affected this review I must admit.

06-10-2006 05:10:23 | More by jahsausage
BobbyBeerman

4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

This was the beer for the soup course at the beer dinner on 4/4/09 at Kindling.

A: This was a fun one. As soon as the bottles were opened, it started coming up and even foamed out. We had to get towels to set under the bottles to let this calm down before pouring. Once poured it was a brown with orange/copper highlights around the edge.

S: I get the earthiness from the yeast, some caramel tones, and a little fruit sweetness.

T: I was surprised with this one. A Scottish style from a Belgian - what to expect? It started out with the sweetness I've come to expect in a Scottish ale. On the back edge I got some of the spices and a warming effect that I've come to expect from Belgian ales. From what style the fruit tones come from, I'm not sure but they are there.

M: It's a rich beer but it feels good. Even with the angry foam when opened I didn't feel as if this was over carbonated.

D: I liked this one. It was very enjoyable. With most of the good beers I've come across, I would limit myself to one per session.

04-08-2009 12:57:02 | More by BobbyBeerman
oldhippie247

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Deep reddish-copper pour with thick, creamy off-white head. Decent carbonation. Next to no lacing.

Caramelly sweet nose with what can only be described as a whiff of Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts. Not as good as it sounds.

Mouthfeel is smooth, round, and full. Caramel sweetness follows through on the palate with an almost piney mid-palate. Too much sweetness to finish a 750ml. Higher carbonation would have helped lighten it and make it more drinkable.

Overall an okay beer, but nothing spectacular. A Belgian-brewed Scotch style ale...not sure what to expect, but wanted more.

02-20-2009 03:50:51 | More by oldhippie247
Glory

Quebec (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Another product that I got thanks to www.quebecbiere.info private import in Québec for Belgian beers !

There is no sign of a bottling date on this beer but I suspect it's around mid 2009. I've been holding on to a few Scotch Silly beers for over a year now so...do the math!
I served it in an official Scoth Silly glasse witch is actualy in a tulip form. I get a shady brownish color with red tints and a loose white head...fades away pretty fast. Signs of heavy carbonation as well..Nice appearance overall.

the smell is not to pronounced, kinda weird for this type of beer. I get a little Praline and Malt notes. I can also smell that 8 % ABV along with brown sugar and a spices like cardamome.
Give it a couple swerles and let the aromas out and along with the gas !

The taste starts off with a kick of caramel Malt and sugar, becomes quite watery on the palate, I kinda feel like its missing something, and then finishes dry with a rusty metalic taste. Last time I had one of those, was a couple of months ago and I remember having alot more fun with this beer than I am tonight.
Its quite sweet and heavy on the carbonation so having only one after a meal is just fine or else your gonna feel pretty full and heavy.
Overall its a nice beer, nice brewery and who doesn't like Scoth Ales ??
Try it out !

Cheers lads

WS

01-16-2011 06:47:16 | More by Glory
Amdahl

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first Scottish ale. This is a 330 ml bottle with an attractive green label. There is no freshness date. Pours a dark orange to brown with about 2 fingers of fluffy tan head that reduces to a thin layer only covering the top of the beer. Nice lace is left on the glass. The aroma is of toffee and malt. This is a medium bodied beer. The taste is of toffee and caramel, and you can really notice the alcohol. I really enjoyed this beer. This beer make me want to try more Scottish ales. It is a little to much alcohol to enjoy more then 1 or 2 of these.

12-12-2002 17:45:15 | More by Amdahl
Tawnos

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a reddish brown with a pillowy head. Leaves lacing on the glass as it dissolves back down. Not a lot of carbonation showing in the glass.

Smells sweet, almost cotton candy like. Slight alcohol presence in the nose. Nothing unpleasant, but nothing amazing.

Tastes overly sweet, metallic. Strong syrupy sugars and very little hop bitterness. Not a whole lot of complexity. Has something of an overripe fruit taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and enjoyable. The sugary sweetness hides any alcohol astringency.

Drinkabilty is average. A bit high on the alcohol and low on the flavor for me to seek it out again.

02-13-2007 06:12:28 | More by Tawnos
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +17%

A = Pours a dark amber and leaves a nice light brownish head. Nice lacing on the glass

S= A hing of malty aroma, apple turnover, some spiciness

T = great taste, pretty much same as the smell, caramel apple, hint of maltiness and a tiny but of spice on the edge

M = I guess I can see how an earlier reviewer said this does not have the usual mouth feel of a wee heavy. Despite that though judging this as just a good beer the mouthfeel is not heavy, carbonation is very pleasant. I could probably down a few of these if it weren't so expensive.

D = Very good, you barely feel the 8% at all. I guess thats what those nutty belgians are good at huh. I could plow threw a few of these.

This beer is pretty damn good. I picked it up on accident. It cost 9 bucks for a 750ml bottle here and it was on the wrong shelf. If I knew it was that much I probably would not have picked it up. But its quite good. If it like 4-5 bucks a bottle I would pick up a few and have a wild night!

08-22-2007 01:48:27 | More by TheBeerWolf
beholder_pl

Poland

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: clear red / brown with a medium sized off-white head that marks the glass nicely.

Aroma: malty, bready, some coffee-like notes but very subtle. A lot of caramel, and I think I smell a small sour note, typical for some belgian ales. Also it has a delicate touch of dust, and maybe some roastiness, but again - they're very subtle.

Taste: very sweet. Toffee, caramel, a bit roastiness and a little bit fruity. A small, almost untraceable alcohol note in the background. Mild alcohol bitterness.

Moutfeel: full bodied, soft carbonation.

Overall: a very enjoyable beer, although it's not my favourite style.

03-15-2014 15:22:21 | More by beholder_pl
Scotch De Silly from Brasserie de Silly S.A.