Bordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch De Silly - Brasserie de Silly S.A.

Bordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch De SillyBordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch De Silly

Brasserie de Silly S.A. visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.00% ABV

Aged for 6 months in Bordeaux Oak barrels.

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch De Silly Alström Bros

4.09/5  rDev 0%

No where on the bottle does it say Bordeaux barrel were the ones used but based on the pictures I've found of my bottle and the others listed, I believe I'm in the right place. Very silly label it is.

Anyway, the beer pours a murky brown. Looks as if someone poured some chocolate into root beer.

I get a sweet yeasty brown malt presence on the nose followed by red wine tartness.

Wow, I can't believe this is a 9% barrel aged scotch ale from the mouthfeel. It's very soft and has some crisp carbonation.

Brown sugar and cherried red wine notes pervade the initial sips. Vanilla as it opens up with, yep I wanna say root beer woodiness. It's warming now; I'm getting more of the classic dried prunes and date feel of a scotch ale. Some bitterness at the end blends nicely with a smokey finish as the sweetness of the malt also sticks around a bit.

Overall, I gotta say what comes to mind is cherry-vanilla-root beer. If there is such a thing. I think the one downside to this was the carbonation, thus the soda comparisons. I think this would be even better aged. Get it while you can.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Very interesting beer. It's mildly sweet with a beautiful blend of distinct flavors and negligible hop bite. As opposed to so many ales on the market this one has personality! I certainly get red wine overtones in both smell and taste. I also get caramel and a hint of vanilla. I suppose some fruit too ... but that's a bit of a stretch for my palate. Overall delicious!

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Jarad for sharing this with us. 750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter. The brew appears amber mahogany quite clear with big bubble formation that is quick to fade.

The smell is sweet and malty with a hint of oak and oxidation. Mild papery aspects give way to a faint smoked and candy sugar appeal. A light touch of something vinous is also present but pales in comparison to the rest of the attributes.

The taste is sweet with a mild vinous touch mixing with paper-like oxidation and oak. As it warms up, it gets a faint hint of smokiness only noticed in the finish and into the aftertaste. It has a nice contrast of malt verse barrel and smoke, I dig it.

This is a medium bodied brew with a low amount of carbonation. The alcohol is very well hidden. The overall integration of flavor is exceptional and the subtle touch of smoke is very well received in this style. Having never had the base beer, I assume I would be a pretty big fan of it considering how well the flavors worked here in this barrel treatment.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Bordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch De Silly from Brasserie de Silly S.A.