Join our email list →

Belgium | website

Witbier | 4.50% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-15-2002

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last

Poured into a Hoegaarden glass from a 750ml bottle. No date. Pours a very pale yellow, and very cloudy in typlical witbier fashion. Light but very fizzy head, you can actually hear it bubbling.

Smells very strongly of oranges, with a light wheaty taste in the background. Not much else, as the orangepeel overpowers any other scent that may be in there.

The taste is far from the scent. More spicy than sweet, as was hinted by the strong orange presence I smelled. Coriander is the heaviest taste here, and the orangepeel has moved to more of an undertone. Heavy wheat presence as well. The bottle claims this was brewed with licorice as well, but I am having a hard time picking that out. Much more complex than the smell, though nothing special.

Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Typical for a wit.

Light, refreshing, and low ABV with decent flavor. Just what a good wit's supposed to be. Tastes pretty good too, very good summer drink.

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a one finger head that fades very quickly to a thin spotty cap, leaving behind a minimal amount of lace.

Smell; very much on the mild side. There's a little orange peel, and coriander, with a light wheat presence. I don't smell any of the licorice that the label claims is in this.

Taste; the flavor is actually even more thin than the aroma was, and I'm having a hard time picking out any favors other than the orange and coriander. If I concentrate hard enough, I can almost trick myself into tasting the licorice. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with only a little bit of carbonation.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

06/19/06- Purchased at Draeger's Market in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness dating. Bottle both caged and corked. Poured into my Blanche de Chambly witbier glass.

Appearance- Frosted yellow in color. Full inch plus head which levels off at a nice large rim. Streaks and spots of lace. No real super large chunks like some of the great looking ones.

Smell- Pretty much spot on. A bit of corriander here, some white pepper there...lemon rind...you get the picture. About what a wit should smell like. Not bursting out of the glass though. You have to dig your nose in deep to get some.

Taste- Nice light powdered sugar aftertaste. Light and peppery with a dash of corriander. Not quite as much sweetness as I would like. Some sips give you an average taste and some give you a super sour lemon rind flavor. Kinda off and on. Hard to figure out why.

Mouthfeel- About the normal carbonation rate. Lasting lemon rind aftertaste to go with the mild sugar. A bit dry as well.

Drinkability- A bit above an average wit. Quenched my thirst like it was supposed to. Probably wouldn't try again because I can find some of my other favorites for less cash. Still worth a try if you see it out there.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Acid-washed maize with a mini horde of superfine bubbles zipping up to the cotton white head. Speaking of white, this is the palest 'white' beer that I've ever had, I do believe. The foam is pillowy soft, yet still creamy and sticky; a remarkable combination that looks fabulous and may result in some pretty good glass coverage if it ever deflates. Unfortunately, very little lace is created.

The nose is unique for the style, possibly due to the addition of licorice. Orange peel is far and away the dominant aroma and is complimented by a subdued whiff of coriander. I'm certain that I would never have identified the licorice without knowing of its presence and I'm not even sure that I can identify it now. It does, however, add olfactory interest. Let's hope that it works as well on the palate.

The licorice is really only noted on the finish and is subtle even then. On further reflection, that's probably a good thing. I love black licore and anise, but a witbier is really no place for those particular flavors. What is more easily appreciated isn't setting my world on fire. I like my wits more full-flavored than this. More orange, more coriander, or preferably, more of both, would improve the beer immensely.

The flavor is essentially a carbon copy of the nose. For some reason though, I don't like it quite as much. Orange citrus is still the dominant flavor, but it's dry, bitter orange-flavored tonic water rather than sweet juicy orange like I'd like. Appreciating the coriander requires a little too much work. I like the spice to be more upfront than it is here. As I get into the middle of the bottle, I'm not sure that I was ever able to appreciate licorice.

The body is definitely on the lighter side of this relatively light-bodied style. It's also pretty vigorously carbonated; too much so as far as I'm concerned. I didn't compare it to tonic water in the previous paragraph for nothing. I like my wits to be a bit more lush and gentle in the mouth.

Blanche de Namur would be a better beer if it was a more boldly flavored beer. The addition of licorice to the classic witbier recipe, if added in just the right amount, could have made this a quirky, memorable, delicious version. With so many better wits in circulation, I just can't bring myself to recommend it.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

The body pours exactly like I would expect a wit bier to pour. If the head were a bit thicker I would have given it a 5.
Smell is pretty nice, but I believe it could use a bit more orange peel.
Taste is smooth. Slightly sweet. A bit of citrus bite. Light. Mouthfeel is a bit too bubbly, in my opinion, and this adversely affects drinkability. Worth trying, but I'm still looking for my perfect wit bier.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, pale white in hue with a tickle of hay-gold influences; the liquid plays the part of a Wit well. Fizzy, slightly rocky white head; at the apex the foam was over three fingers tall. Decent head retention, the bubbles steadily faded to a thin, soapy collar. There was no subsequent lacing. Still this is a lovely looking beer.

Potent, vibrant nose that says “Wit” right off the bat; I love outspoken beers. Spices upfront, coriander mainly but I swear I smell ginger as well. The orange peel rounds out the spiciness. Black licorice hints are at the end. This is not a “wheaty” Wit; in fact the wheat aromas are extremely minimal. I’d like more wheat and bready-yeast but I do like the nose nevertheless.

Potent, vibrant palate that is dominated by spices. IMO, this Wit is more like Blue Moon Belgian White than it is St. Bernardus Witbier as this beer lacks wheatiness and a pleasant bready-yeast slurry. I do taste plenty of coriander and licorice with hints of ginger and other spices… orange peel is found at the end. The spiciness wear me thin after awhile; more wheat-malt is needed for balance. At best I can call this a solid Wit but it doesn’t sit with my palate perfectly.

Medium-light in body, airy carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the style well. I do find the “spirit” of the beer refreshing but the spice tire me out.

It is easy to drink. I still think this would be tasty with pancakes or rice crispy treats. When all is said and done this is a decent Wit but it doesn’t suit me that well. Still, I could drink this again. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Council Bluffs, IA for $6. Worth a try.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Draught in Aarhus, Denmark. Pale golden milky colour, low head. Typical witbier aroma and flavour of orange peel and coriander, but there’s also a sufficient base of wheat malts and hops to support it. Well balanced, smooth and very pleasant and refreshing to drink. Not a beer that pops up and says BOOH! - but a very nice one all the same.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured a light orange with a thick foam head.

There was a zesty lemon/orange smell.

Taste was of oranges and bananas with a light hop bitterness.

Not very carbonated. Maybe even a little undercarbonated.

Good beer. Just a little expensive and I can think of better beers to buy instead of this.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Classic color, hazy white (with the yeast; without it is a clear and very light yellow). Beautiful head, creamy and quite compact.
Blanche smell: orange peel, spices and pepper, coriander.
In the taste there are again the classic notes for the style. Although the spices (and the citric too) is quite evident, it remains light, pleasant, and balanced.
In the aftertaste spices in evidence, and citric.

Note: in somewhat, it is often partly spoiled from the cork smell (when in a 75cl bottle with sugar cork)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Thick dense velvety head, scintillating as it fades on the hazy pale golden color body. The smell is quite enjoyable with pronounced notes of citrus, especially orange, a deep yeast presence and several spices (coriander, pepper, cinammon). Very sweet, and very sour cream-pie like. The taste is no surprize after having smelled the beer: very fruity, with bananas and oranges, sweet, and with hints of tart. It goes down easily, thanks to a light (maybe a bit too light) mouthfeel. It could be a bit more dense, but even in its thinness it is quite creamy. The spicy peppery notes bring an enjoyable extra note to the whole taste. Quite a good brew.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Typical Witbier appearance, light yellow and hazy. Very light and spritzy in the mouth. Evident black pepper aroma. A bit too dry, lacks malt to balance the spicing. Some citrusy notes. Would be an excellent beer to enjoy on the beach in hot conditions.

Enjoyed on tap at Beer Weekend in Grand Place, Sept 4, 2004.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Lemon peel in the nose. Very bright orange color in the goblet. Bright pale white lasting sticky head. Sweet wheat taste with waves of lemon peel and orange rind. The finish also has a little black pepper. Smooth medium mouth with a dry tongued finish. A nice beer.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

75cl bottle, Lot # 136287...

Appearance: light straw color, delectably hazy, luscious stand of frothy white foam, lacey

Aroma: light scent of honey, coriander, lime peel, chamomile, grain and floral hops, a bit soapy

Flavor: very dry malt/wheat profile, big bloom of medicinal phenols and spice, orange peel, yeast, finishes dry with a tangy aftertaste of coriander and dusty grain

Mouthfeel: light body, lots of prickly carbonation, a bit minerally

Other comments: One of the drier wits I've tried. Not heavy-handed with the spices (which is a good thing). The appearance and aroma are its strong suits and the taste just seems to falter with that kind of "opening act".

My favorite wit is still the humble Wittekerke or Blanche de Chambly.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a nice little witbier. A nice white head that sticks around, but perhaps not due to the resiliency of the foam, but the sheets of streaming bubbles. The color is what slightly caramelized grapefruit juice would look like, a cloudy khaki with a bit of yellow and pink. The coriander and orange aroma is just strong enough to be inviting and far from boring, but not so strong as to be a distraction or overwhelming. The same goes for the flavor. Nicely balanced with a crisp, dry wheat flavor dominating up front, but with a burst of orange in the finish that leaves you expecting citrus tartness that never comes. The body is very light and it's overall fairly dry, but that's all what you'd expect from a witbier. I offer no excuses for my love of witbiers and hefeweizens. If I could find this at home, it'd be my lawnmower beer.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes in a 33cl brown stubbie with a blue, white and black label featuring what looks like a Gothic church under snow flurries. Ingredients conform to the purity law. Best before 12/4/04, I opened it on 4/17/04.

Pours a cloudy, very bubbly light yellow under a two finger white head with nice body and some lace. The head lasted so long there was a marshmallow sized head left when I finished the last of the liquid. The nose is very sweet and strongly reminiscent of raspberry, with yeasty tones as well. The mouth was very prickly and fairly light. There's lots of spice up front, cinnamon and pepper, plus some lemon and clove. There are no hops, but some malt and yeast come out in the finish. The aftertaste is fresh and lemondrop sweet. It's OK, but I'm not doing any dances here.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Short story: This might be the best witbier I've ever had.

Long story: Pours a gorgeous semi-hazy gold color with a dense, thick, rocky head. Looks like a massive spring monsoon inside the class from the swirls of carbonation rising through the brew. Absolutely stunning to watch. Smells and tastes of citrus, coriander. Perfectly easy to drink. A slight lemon/wheat to yeast transition -- nothing jarring or misplaced at all. A fine specimen.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

i thought this was pretty good, light, refreshing citric spicyness, which i like. Hazy yellow/lemon colour, with a nice fluffy white head, which leaves excellent lace, i like it.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last