Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Newcastle Cabbie Black AleNewcastle Cabbie Black Ale

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: snargles on 10-12-2013

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

3.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is unfortunate this beer is no mas. I thought it was a good brew. Side poured from the bottle, all 30 of them, into a Sam Adams glass, one at a time. Alcohol Paul said his store couldn't sell this stuff, so he got a bunch of it and gave it to me.

Appearance - Pours super dark brown with almost no head or lacing. the color should be expected. I like the packaging, name, etc. Really dark, hard to see through this brew.

Smell - Pretty subdued, nothing too over the top. Just like the English themselves. Hints of malts, coffee, breads, and a bit of grains.

Taste - Nice bready, malty, hops non-existent beer, which I am ok with. A bit of caramel, the chocolate is still present but very light, and some breads. I like it.

Mouthfeel - Favorite part, as usual. Although it finishes a bit watery, it is a smooth, easy drinking beer.

Overall - Unfortunate they took this out. Of course, if Heineken brews it, they have to take good beers out and keep brewing that piss in a bottle they call Heineken, the worst beer I have ever tasted. If you can find this, give it a shot, it is satisfying and smooth.

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brown caramel pour, thin but resilient cover with light lacing.
Sweet, toasty aroma with coffee notes.
Similar to the smell, sweet with toasty notes of bread and coffee.
Crisp, medium bodied but with some frothiness.
Good session brew.

3.74/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had wanted to get this one a while back at The Friendly Greek, but it disappeared, never to be seen again until recently. My friend, Jeff Anderson, posted on Facebook that he had scored a case and so I hailed him for one and he pulled over and picked me up.

From the bottle: “Hailed from Britain”; “The One and Only”; “Drink Cool”; “Hail this smooth dark ale”; “There are many ways to order a Newcastle Cabbie, but we chose ‘hail’ because it sounds like a cabbie word. Newcastle Cabbie is brewed with dark malts and noble aroma hops to create a flavor with hints of chocolate, coffee and light fruit – because we think those words will make your mouth water. So if all those words don’t make you want to grab a Cabbie, the label guy obviously lied to us.”; “Download the Taxi Magic app to make hailing a taxi even easier.”

Once I Pop!ped the cap, I gave it a heavy-handed pour to get things started, resulting in two-plus fingers of dense, light-tan head with moderate retention. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity and coppery highlights. Nose had a licorice and chocolate sweet sharpness which I found intriguing. It was definitely not what I expected. Mouthfeel was medium and actually a bit abrasive with loads of tiny, tight bubbles. The taste had the same curious admixture of sweet and sharp, chocolate and licorice that I had sensed on the nose. I was reminded of a Samuel Smith’s beer, brewed with really hard water. The finish was semi-dry and quite refreshing. I am not sure that I am as enamored of it as Jeff, but it is certainly waiting for in a queue.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Clear dark brown with three fingers of off white head that last about ten minute and leaves a curtain of lace behind. Aroma is dark roasted malts with a hint of coffee.
Taste is dark roasted malt with some sweetness and a touch of earthy bitter hops.
Mouthfeel i thin and well carbonated for the style.
Overall a very tasty beer for such a low alcohol level.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

2.92/5  rDev -8.5%

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.4/5  rDev +6.6%

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in a signature Newcastle wellington glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Dark brown ale, has a black slightly opaque tone to it with a thin body. Head is off-white and settles quick after one sip or two. Head originally as high as a finger's length with a hard pour as usual.

Smell: Smells like raw hops but light. Nothing complex but not bad to take a few sniffs here and there.

Taste: Mild Hops, bland and wish there was more. I know it supposed to be mild but sometimes I feel like there are "light" beers that pack more punch as far as flavor.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation, toasty finish. Might remind you a bit of a bavarian lager.

Overall: You know I really try to like this beer. I don't hate it but I am not going to love it either. Worth trying at least once, maybe at least to get credit for the review :-/ Salud!

As you will find from my reviews, which is something I only recently started to write, I won't go overboard with all the beer jargon about aromas and hints of this or that. I just want to state whether I liked it or not. So, here's my opinion about Newcastle Cabbie. This is fine beer to drink with dinner, or to sip while relaxing in your favorite place to relax. It's smooth and mild. The flavor is full on the palate and taste buds with an end that's very mildly bitter. As I wrote to my older brother who doesn't like dark ales and lagers, this ale is a manly beer. It's not for college boys, redneck mud truckers, or pussy whipped metrosexuals who think their lite beer piss water is actually a fine brew.

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.84/5  rDev -42.3%

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%

Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale from Heineken Nederland B.V.