2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

good

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Dark Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 487 | Reviews: 244 | Show All Ratings:
angusdegraosta

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Alleluia. Just got this at the distributor - haven't had Heineken Dark since the 90s. Good deep brown and a fine head, even a little lacing. It has a faint sweet roasted smell, nothing grand. Malt is the star of the show here, and some toasty caramel as the brew warms a little. Great feel - it is just as good an easy drinking brew as I remembered it to be. If you want an extra delicious dark style, go Doppelbock - this is just meant to be a straightforward, sessionable brew. And if you want the regular Heineken Lager from the store to taste less skunky, go with the can for a fresher taste. I have no problems with Heineken, but the Dark especially makes me smile.

03-05-2014 06:06:40 | More by angusdegraosta
Beerwolf666

Maryland

4.23/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I know of no other Beer that gets slagged and slammed more than "Heineken"..Other than say "Corona"~Regular Heineken gets a "Poor" Rating here on Beeradvocate,which is just mind boggling & for the Life of me,something I just cannot Understand whatsoever,@ all,it actually gets me a bit pissed off to be Honest,Because I think a LOT of people are Rating Heineken [and most Lagers] as SHIT,Just because they themselves do not like Lagers in general,most of all "Mass produced Macro Lagers" all these craft Beer "Snobs" need to stop this Crap,and start Rating Beers based on their "Style" and not Compare them to their own personal Favorite Beers and Ales,if a Beer is a "Lager",then rate it as such,and for gods sake man,stop bashing Beers just because you do not like the perticular Style! it's Bullshit~
anyway~Heineken Dark is simply an Amazing Beer,an Amazing Lager Beer,it is Roasty and full of Flavor,at first you pick up a nice roasted malt flavor & perhaps some hints of Chocolate & Caramel,and as the Beer warms a bit these flavors become much more pronounced and you can pick up a wee bit of Coffee and just a slight toffee taste also.
Heineken Dark is by Far my Favorite Dark Lager Beer,and I Myself have never tasted another Dark Lager that even comes close to it's perfect balance of flavors and taste,it simply is an utterly Delishious and perfectly rounded Beer~Cheers!

01-25-2014 16:12:40 | More by Beerwolf666
Mike_Moe

2.08/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance: Dark thin color with a brown head.
Aroma: Very light coffee smell.
Flavor: Light bodied, light coffee stout like flavor. Finishing quite harsh.
Overall: This taste like a poorly brewed thin stout. Not sure of what the brewers are trying to do with this one. This is not a good beer at all.

01-10-2014 08:33:42 | More by Mike_Moe
BeerNewbs

1.61/5  rDev -50%

Don’t ask why I tasted this, just thank me for taking the bullet instead of you. I am a huge fan of Heineken and even Heineken Light - nothing is better for a day full of outdoor activities. Needless to say, Heineken went too far when producing this Euro Dark Lager. It lacks a clear difference in flavor profile from its counterpart and doesn’t feel complete. It might be worth trying as reviews are mixed, but I wouldn’t recommend buying a full case on a whim.

10-31-2013 19:25:37 | More by BeerNewbs
cwkash

Kentucky

4.41/5  rDev +37%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why all the scores are mediocre for this beer.

A - Dark, a little bit of light came through.

S - Nothing special here. Basic lager aroma.

T - Blew me away. Some mix of iced coffee, toffee, and barley. Kind of like Guinness Draught but even that's not an apt comparison.

M- Closer to a lighter stout than a typical lager.

O - Pleasantly surprised given the tepid ratings for this beer. I'll definitely drink this in the future.

09-14-2013 22:20:53 | More by cwkash
mikethebeerguy

Maryland

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

call me old fashion but I primarily rate my beers based upon taste. I'm also a big Heineken fan. However this brew still disappointed me. It lacked a clean after taste and the flavor that it did have did not satisfy. Personally I would not recommend this brew however that is just me. I found it truly disappointing.

09-11-2013 02:09:39 | More by mikethebeerguy
lenbert

Indiana

4.09/5  rDev +27%

This is a beer that I remember fondly from my early drinking days (in the early 1980's) and have had a hard time finding it in my area. I've just been steered to a local bottle shop that carries it and I'm ready to "relive my youth"!

Appearance: Pouring into a pilsner glass, it is a reddish brown color with a generous head that dissipates relatively quickly. Minimal lacing is left behind.

Aroma: slight hints of biscuit and malty, almost soy sauce aroma.

Taste: this is very malty and sweet. Very pleasant sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, with some light carbonation.

I find this beer to be very sessionable and delicious. This is indeed a beverage that I will seek out in the future.

08-28-2013 00:52:34 | More by lenbert
B_Sloane89

4.25/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I would consider this an underrated beer for sure. I never heard of it until I was at a friend's place, and was handed a bottle of it, and was very thankful once I started drinking it. It is definitely a little bit darker than a normal lager, but that makes it enjoyable to me, since most porters are too dark, but sometimes I like to have darker beers than a traditional lager. If you have not tried this beer, I would definitely recommend it.

08-20-2013 14:52:03 | More by B_Sloane89
MIDogman

4.28/5  rDev +32.9%

This beer makes me feel like I am drinking a less filling porter. I love the flavor and smell. It's smooth with a great semi-coffee aftertaste. I'm definitely a Brown/Amber Lager kind of guy, so this beer fit right into my preference. I think this beer will be my staple for a while.

08-04-2013 14:12:03 | More by MIDogman
Mavigo

3.41/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hmm, looks alright. Served in a pilsner.

A: Pours a dark brown-red, with a tall light brown-beige head that dissipates fast, leaving not much lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, barley, grains, woods, yeast, chocolate

T: Tastes of barley, wheat, hint of chocolate, bit of coffee

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, alright

O: Kind of tastes like cheap gas station coffee. Not too bad but not too good either. It's alright, I could drink lots of these so I'd recommend it, nothing amazing, just another beer.

07-16-2013 22:26:07 | More by Mavigo
BierStein711

3.16/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into pilsner

Brown lager with thin to almost no brownish head

Smells: apple, caramel, cocoa.

Taste: roasted malt, cocoa, with a carmel to cocoa finish that is semi-sweet

mouthfeel: thicker

Overall, this wasn't too bad but it isn't anything to get excited over. I'm surprised I chose this beer as I've had poor results with dark lagers.

07-11-2013 15:01:45 | More by BierStein711
Smock19nathan

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

The poor was something off of a beer documentary for me, the smell was what i dream of, and the taste was completely comforting and warm.
I first tried this beer with a friend and was a little unconvinced that heineken could pull this off. Well i was wrong they nailed it for me. If a dark somewhat "light" lager is what you prefer with hints of chocolate, caramel, cream, and roasted malt. You have to try this stand out beer from heineken. Top 5 of mine for sure.

07-03-2013 05:06:49 | More by Smock19nathan
beergoot

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer exhibits a dark, ruby-red body with a thick, chunky head. Malt grains combine with a faintly chocolate scent to produce a pleasant aroma. Taste comes across with a nice roasted malt character with hints of mild chocolate; light hop bitterness pops up at the finish. Light yet deceptively rich body, smooth and buttery.

Another beer that I used to drink decades ago but haven't touched in years. I recall back then that this beer was a delicious find and I think this holds true today. Perhaps a little fizzy on the mouthfeel side of things, but its warm, welcoming dark flavors are the highlight.

03-10-2013 22:35:40 | More by beergoot
woodychandler

4.21/5  rDev +30.7%

What can I say? I recently hit upon a local gold mine in terms of singles for sale. I just want to drink different beers until I find The One. It is sort of the same reason that I am still single.

From the bottle: "Brewed with passion for quality."

The pour erased any question that it might not be dark. I had two-plus fingers of rocky, deep-tan head by the time that I was done and it looked like the top of a root beer float. Color was ruby-red with NE-quality clarity and I began to think of the last time I had seen a beer this pretty. Nose was rich with caramel, toffee, even coconut. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very caramel-like with a hint of smoke on the tongue. Finish was likewise faintly smoky and semi-dry, not sweet at all. First of all, I am not ashamed to say that I was impressed. Secondly, is it too much to ask them to CAN this beer? I would readily put some in the cooler.

03-09-2013 19:37:07 | More by woodychandler
baddogrudy

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a good beer. Its lighter bodied than your typical dark. Also more carbonation. Taste of carmel and malts.
Overall its a smooth easy dark thats a little light and a bit too much carmel. Brewed in Holland. 5%abv
I would definitely give this one a try, even if you don't care for typical darks.

03-08-2013 23:23:18 | More by baddogrudy
Satanic

2.14/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A - Poured at an angle, little to no head- about a quarter inch of white cream. It looked like coca-cola in the glass I poured it it almost- maybe just one shade lighter. A good amount of carbonation. A couple inches above the bottom of the glass as I have drank it down, the color seems to change to a brownish/red in hue.

S - It barely smells even when poured into a glass, maybe a slight amount of roast and sweetness. As I drink it further down the smells seem to come out a little stronger. I almost feel like I sense a hint of chocolate.

T - It initially tastes a little bit like a very light chocolate mixed with perhaps a dark cherry flavoring and an almost undetectable sweetness familiar with molassess. Afterwards when you swallow your tongue can feel a very small amount of bitterness remaining. The flavours are not very intense and it is an easy drinker.

M - This beer isn't thick nor extremely watery feeling, sort of in the middle grounds. I let it warm up a little bit to 40-45 degrees as the six-pack's box recommended.

I would give it a 2.25/5. I don't think I will buy it again, but its not bad! Definately worth trying atleast once.

02-09-2013 15:51:39 | More by Satanic
mfnmbvp

2.93/5  rDev -9%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date, 5.00% abv, not listed on the bottle. This was my first Heineken beer ever, reviewed in detail on the back of a K-Mart receipt. Poured into a miniature pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark black cherryish type color. Nice two finger cream head.

S - Vague smell of smokiness and dark fruit, but they are minimal and somewhat artificial smelling. Little bit of bourbon vanilla presence begins to emerge as the beer warms.

T - Dark fruit of some kind and cherry come to mind initially. Carbonated; but not overwhelming. Slight artificial type sweetness. A decent adjunct styled beer, better than I was expecting, considering the terrible rap that regular Heineken Lager gets from people I know.

M - Nice chocolate kind of aftertaste, slight carbonation is well balanced enough.

Overall, definitely worth trying at least once. I haven't had the regular Heineken Lager yet, but judging from the hype I imagine that the Heineken Dark Lager is probably a better choice.

Heineken Dark Lager ---3/5.

01-31-2013 00:07:37 | More by mfnmbvp
metter98

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

A: The beer is crystal clear dark red in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige head that died down but never completely faded away and left some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Faint aromas of nutty malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of nutty malts along with some hints of toasted and caramel maltss. Neither sweetness nor bitterness is detectable.
M:It feels light-bodied, a bit thin and slightly smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink. Although the taste is a little bland, there aren't any "off" flavors.

12-11-2012 02:52:45 | More by metter98
ToddL

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first dark beer I ever drank 30 years ago, but have not seen one on the shelf for years.
I had one this weekend and was pleasantly surprised, it was a nice blend of flavors with good color and smell. nothing to overpower the senses. but nothing to offend them either.

11-19-2012 15:00:20 | More by ToddL
Jwicker

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a much better evolution from the original classic Heineken beer. This dark lager is tasty, and I would drink this as a casual drink anywhere.
THE APPEARANCE is that of a dark amber, beautiful coloration in this brew. Nice foaming effect, lasts for quite a bit on top, nice amount of carbonation just like the original.
THE SMELL is that of a sweet chestnut, with a hint of wheat or corn If you will.
THE TASTE- I was surprised here, it actually tastes pretty dark. Slightly sweet twist of burnt toffee, deep roasted chestnut, and a smalll hint of sweet black coffee. That's the best I can really describe it lol. Its still a bit watery as the original was, but I think this is on purpose to let people know that they are still drinking Heineken.
Good job on this brew. Its beautiful, and definitely worth the price.

09-15-2012 06:15:45 | More by Jwicker
TheCondor

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Side poured from the bottle with standard vigor into a Boulevard pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a reddish/brown color with a weaksauce little half finger head that dissipated so fast I almost didn't capture it in my picture for LNBA. Very clear pour, no cloudiness or carbonation seen. Leaves no lacing.

Smell - Smells like Heineken with a little chocolate and a little dark fruit added to it. It is certainly a lager, but it has hints of porter smell to it.

Taste - Much the same as the smell. Tastes like Heineken with a slight kick of dark fruit. The chocolate smell kinds of fades on the palate, being replaced with really nothing. Grains and metallic notes also come into the taste.

Mouthfeel - A substantially watered down porter. Go find a decent porter, then add 6 oz. of water, and this is the feel of this beer. Carbonated, watery, no aftertaste.

Overall - I would not recommend this, but it is better than standard Heineken, which is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I guess you could give it a shot once, but I would never buy this again.

07-29-2012 02:59:00 | More by TheCondor
donmonkey1

Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-brown with a brown/tan head that dissipates too quickly. Little or no lacing.

Smell: Raisins

Taste: Raisins, sweet malt, possibly molasses, hint of hops

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, good carbonation.

Surprisingly tasty and flavorfull. Much much better than a regular Heineken. I'm suprised.
This is a totally decent beer.

07-01-2012 04:32:00 | More by donmonkey1
mikeg67

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

12 oz bottle at Brazilia Grill. Pours dark amber with short lived white head. Aroma is of caramel and a lot of dark fruit. Body is light and smooth. Taste is similar to aroma with mostly fruit and caramel, slight hint of hops. Short, sweet finish. It was Ok with steak, better than other selections at this place.

03-25-2012 17:53:40 | More by mikeg67
cbutova

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured into a pint glass with a dark brown hue, some red hints around the edges. Light tan head forms to about a finger but doesn't retain very well. Small ring but no lace.

S- Lager yeast, buttery hints and a dark caramel malt profile. Fades after just a few sips.

T- A mix of a dark lager and the general Heineken flavor. It starts out with buttery hints, cereal grain, brown sugar and some slight roast, caramel and toasty malts. It then kind of takes on a slight fruit, sweet and yeast bread feel. Ends up closer to straight up Heineken.

MF- Light, watery body with high carbonation that stings that palate. Somewhat foamy feel with light bitters.

Tastes somewhat comparable to other examples of the style I have tried. It just lacks depth generally and reminds me too much of regular Heineken in the end.

03-11-2012 00:40:04 | More by cbutova
CowsCanBark

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brown with a huge four-finger tan head. Sticky lacing lines the glass.

Smell: Sweet malts, slightly fruity, slight hoppy scent

Taste: Sweet and malty, pretty metallic, kind of watery

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and moderate carbonation. Would be better if it were more creamy.

Overall: Pretty nice looking and smelling, but the taste and mouthfeel are pretty lackluster.

03-07-2012 04:56:13 | More by CowsCanBark
Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.