Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

good

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Dark Lager Alström Bros
spazx

04-09-2014 01:06:23 | More by spazx
MrGuinness77

a friend recommended this beer for me to try, and im glad he did. its incredibly hard to find it but i finally found it after looking @ 30 different liquor stores i finally found 3 six packs at a bevmo in orange county (and bought all 3 of them). normally i cannot drink heineken but i can easily say this is brew is now one of my top 5 favorites of all time. if you ever get a chance to at least try it DO NOT pass it up.

08-30-2010 00:22:06 | More by MrGuinness77
Tee76

4.88/5  rDev +52%

I've always been a huge fan of Heineken and when i found that they made a dark lager i went to all ends of the earth to find it....and i'm glad i did

Dark reddish brown, with a rich tan head to it.

Nice smokey smell, with hints of maple.

Tastes like your typical dark lager but with a thicker, sweet maltier taste that has a hint of maple.

Not much of an after taste but the beer gives a full mouth feel.Has a creamy feel to it.

One of my favorite beers be far.Highly drinkable if you can find it...it's that damn good!

09-28-2009 18:23:35 | More by Tee76
colbytallen

4.75/5  rDev +48%

08-27-2012 16:42:25 | More by colbytallen
mrcarterxxl

4.7/5  rDev +46.4%

a beer that i thought that was every where but i was wrong.

A= pours a brown color in the amber family with a cream color head.

S= hoppy smell.

T= a toffe/butterscotch taste with hops

MF=smooth wiht medium cardonation.

this beer leaves light lacing behind, this is one of my favorites
everyone should try it.

cheers!

10-20-2009 19:49:28 | More by mrcarterxxl
Lauthaha

4.6/5  rDev +43.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: The beer pours forth from the bottle with a deep ruby/mahogany color. One-finger thick head recedes to a simple frothy coating on the top of the beer. Very dark...not opaque, but close to it.

Smell: This is a very intriguing scent, something I haven't experienced a lot of lately. At first, it seems like licorice, but I suppose it could be nutmeg and/or cinnamon as well. This is a beer that would go great with pumpkin pie, a great fall beer. Smells amazing.

Taste: Truly spectacular. Definitely a nutmeg/cinnamon vibe to it which sets complacently in the malty base. The hops are not overdone; nothing about this brew is overdone. Though I can detect six or seven distinct flavors (anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, malt, hops) not one overshadows any other. The fact that it is so perfectly mixed makes me want to give this brew a five. What the heck.

Mouthfeel: Lightly syrupy, it gently coats the tongue. Savorable, yet it rinses cleanly. Also very, very good.

Drinkability: I could definitely drink more than a few of these on a long night. The only stopping point is the fact that this beer is so extraordinarily tasty, I wouldn't want to burn myself out on it. It's also just a little rich for a session beer, so I can't give it a perfect score here.

This beer (according to the label) won two awards in Paris in the 1800s. If that's the only critical acclaim this beer has enjoyed, that would be a shame. I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys a good dark lager. Just fantastic.

08-29-2010 01:59:21 | More by Lauthaha
Garrett092112

4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

07-15-2013 00:28:42 | More by Garrett092112
cwkash

Kentucky

4.41/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why all the scores are mediocre for this beer.

A - Dark, a little bit of light came through.

S - Nothing special here. Basic lager aroma.

T - Blew me away. Some mix of iced coffee, toffee, and barley. Kind of like Guinness Draught but even that's not an apt comparison.

M- Closer to a lighter stout than a typical lager.

O - Pleasantly surprised given the tepid ratings for this beer. I'll definitely drink this in the future.

09-14-2013 22:20:53 | More by cwkash
ZenAgnostic

4.38/5  rDev +36.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No stamped date.

Appearance - Dark, clear ruby brown/black body. One finger light brown/tan head with decent to low stick and decent to low retention.

Smell - Dark roasted malts. Lots of banana. Sweet, non-hoppy profile.

Taste - Dark chocolate malts. Banana. Coffee. True to the the smell. Extremely faint hop. No off characters. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Medium bodied. Very light effervescence. Pleasantly non solvent nor sticky. Very mildly astringent/acidic.

Overall Drinkability - While I don't have high regard for its light lager brother, this beer might be one of the best in the Euro Dark Lager style. At least as far as I've had. Not much in the way of off characters except for the slight metallic astringency and mild acidity, but that might be a result of shelf life. Not amazing in any sense, but definitely worth a try.

11-09-2011 02:18:02 | More by ZenAgnostic
AtrumAnimus

4.35/5  rDev +35.5%

First of all I have to take this one with a grain of Heineken Salt - per say. Heineken has it's own strain of yeast and signature undertones like North Coast and many other breweries. The difference here is Heineken is typically much older than those. That given:

This pours a beautiful dark brown - tannic like the Louisiana Swamp - Admittedly odd for a Dutch beer but I go with what I know - after all it is a hell of a lot better than the color of the Amstel - no?

The nose is rich roasted malt with the signature Heineken Hops. The mouthfeel is perky and carbonated with a smooth finish.

The taste is nearly excellent - Heineken Lager is good - this is much better. I really enjoy this and I am glad I tried it again after so many hundreds of other beers. This somewhat reminds me of St. Sebastiann Dark meets Heineken Lager. - The best of both worlds; if you catch my meaning. The flavor is robust with a hint of roasting and the classic Heineken flavor. Sweet Malt with lively hops touched off by signature yeast.

Very satisfying still to this day. Heineken’s Lager is such a large seller it becomes a "typical" beer that is for every day drinking on a budget that can replace absolute shit beer like Bud or Miller, etc...

The downside of that is we become too accustomed to The Lager as a bare minimum beer. Therefore we give little credibility to the other Heineken’s on the market. Get past that commercial stigmata - then you can enjoy their more craftier brews.

05-06-2003 15:30:35 | More by AtrumAnimus
AlexCorleone

Mexico

4.35/5  rDev +35.5%

Appearance- Dark brown though with red shines. Nice close foamy head off the pour, nice appearance overall.

Smell- Fresh grains, cream, nutty and slight yeast and malty smell, basically the smell of tamed out lager almost metallic nose.

Taste- Nice balance of malts and lager kind of a flavor, reminds me of a lighter bock, very refreshing malts with a very slight touch of hops

Mouth feel- Very smooth creamy and easy drinking, light body and acid notes coming from CO2.

Drinkability- Nice balance of a lighter lager and slightly darker tones, easy to drink more than a six pack.

05-29-2010 17:35:09 | More by AlexCorleone
MIDogman

4.28/5  rDev +33.3%

This beer makes me feel like I am drinking a less filling porter. I love the flavor and smell. It's smooth with a great semi-coffee aftertaste. I'm definitely a Brown/Amber Lager kind of guy, so this beer fit right into my preference. I think this beer will be my staple for a while.

08-04-2013 14:12:03 | More by MIDogman
B_Sloane89

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I would consider this an underrated beer for sure. I never heard of it until I was at a friend's place, and was handed a bottle of it, and was very thankful once I started drinking it. It is definitely a little bit darker than a normal lager, but that makes it enjoyable to me, since most porters are too dark, but sometimes I like to have darker beers than a traditional lager. If you have not tried this beer, I would definitely recommend it.

08-20-2013 14:52:03 | More by B_Sloane89

Beerwolf666

Maryland

4.23/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I know of no other Beer that gets slagged and slammed more than "Heineken"..Other than say "Corona"~Regular Heineken gets a "Poor" Rating here on Beeradvocate,which is just mind boggling & for the Life of me,something I just cannot Understand whatsoever,@ all,it actually gets me a bit pissed off to be Honest,Because I think a LOT of people are Rating Heineken [and most Lagers] as SHIT,Just because they themselves do not like Lagers in general,most of all "Mass produced Macro Lagers" all these craft Beer "Snobs" need to stop this Crap,and start Rating Beers based on their "Style" and not Compare them to their own personal Favorite Beers and Ales,if a Beer is a "Lager",then rate it as such,and for gods sake man,stop bashing Beers just because you do not like the perticular Style! it's Bullshit~
anyway~Heineken Dark is simply an Amazing Beer,an Amazing Lager Beer,it is Roasty and full of Flavor,at first you pick up a nice roasted malt flavor & perhaps some hints of Chocolate & Caramel,and as the Beer warms a bit these flavors become much more pronounced and you can pick up a wee bit of Coffee and just a slight toffee taste also.
Heineken Dark is by Far my Favorite Dark Lager Beer,and I Myself have never tasted another Dark Lager that even comes close to it's perfect balance of flavors and taste,it simply is an utterly Delishious and perfectly rounded Beer~Cheers!

01-25-2014 16:12:40 | More by Beerwolf666
woodychandler

4.21/5  rDev +31.2%

What can I say? I recently hit upon a local gold mine in terms of singles for sale. I just want to drink different beers until I find The One. It is sort of the same reason that I am still single.

From the bottle: "Brewed with passion for quality."

The pour erased any question that it might not be dark. I had two-plus fingers of rocky, deep-tan head by the time that I was done and it looked like the top of a root beer float. Color was ruby-red with NE-quality clarity and I began to think of the last time I had seen a beer this pretty. Nose was rich with caramel, toffee, even coconut. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very caramel-like with a hint of smoke on the tongue. Finish was likewise faintly smoky and semi-dry, not sweet at all. First of all, I am not ashamed to say that I was impressed. Secondly, is it too much to ask them to CAN this beer? I would readily put some in the cooler.

03-09-2013 19:37:07 | More by woodychandler
goochpunch

4.2/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours a rusty brown remeniscient of what iced tea concentrate would look like with a frothy, khaki head that maintains its integrity. Leaves a little lacing. Clean lager aromas with a dark malty backbone and a faint herbal hops scent (possibly goldings?). Big malty flavors start this one off. Toasted and roasted malt lingers on the tongue along with the herbal hops. Just damned clean. Only fault is that it drinks a little watery. The flavors up front seem to die off too quickly. Mouthfeel is creamy with a very soft carbonation. Again, like with the taste, this seems a bit watery in the mouth. The only fault I see here. Perfect drinkability. Lots of flavor and a relatively thin body make this for optimal fall sessioning. I just wish I had bought more than this single. A surprising offering from Heineken.

09-12-2006 03:50:41 | More by goochpunch
phenomenologian

Nebraska

4.18/5  rDev +30.2%

this beer is an especially pleasing brew to enjoy. its a nice dark lager. the beer has a smooth taste to it. it tastes hoppy and has a nice carmel or chocolate flavor to it because of all that is in it. I cannot really name what makes this wonderful flavor except for one of those things being hops. I can taste malt there also. it has a sort of dry, tannish brown head. the head gets medium large. the color of the beer itself is about lighter than guinness but darker than an amber ale. it almost has the consistency and color of guinness but lighter. the smell is kind of of caramel because of how the whole beer yields that certain taste. the taste is, in my opinion, delicious enough making it very smooth. the caramel taste is very very pleasing in this beer. it being very smooth makes it easy to drink. I drank it down within ten minutes because its pleasing and smooth. I really like this beer. if you don't like dark beers, don't try it, but if you do this is a must try. being one who has guinness as the favorite beer this one fights to be up there with guinness. I would give it a B plus just because I save the A region for extremely pleasing beers.

11-28-2011 16:23:34 | More by phenomenologian
ktrillionaire

4.15/5  rDev +29.3%

Heineken (in the green bottle) is potentially a ‘gateway beer’; for many, including me, it represents a first step away from the budcoorsmillerlightlitedraft nonsense. I will always have a soft spot for it, but I honestly don’t like it anymore. Which brings me to the beer at hand… if Heineken was your friend, then Heineken Dark is like the extremely debonair cousin from out of town that you can’t believe is related at all.

G – Drank out of a disposable cup, then straight out the bottle, and then two bottles at a time in my liter Heineken seidel. This beer is potentially the rare beer that is better when consumed straight from the bottle.

A - Dark and translucent, between black tea and cola, otherwise it looks similar to the green bottled Heineken, effervescent, nice (tan) head, good lacing.

S - It has a caramel and dunkel maltiness, figs, prunes, dark wheat in the nose.

T - The taste is very good. It has a dunkel taste like Flensburger. Nutty tasting. Great caramel flavor in the malt; not crass like, say, 'Old Speckled Hen' (in the clear bottle) or some of Lagunitas' offerings, which are a nasty Cracker-Jack or Smucker's tasting caramel. And not sweet either. Muted hop, well balanced flavors overall.

M - Medium-bodied, well carbonated.

D - I love it. Heineken has a special place in my heart, but regular Heineken is not what I once thought it was. Heineken Dark, on the other hand, is still extremely awesome.

P.S. If you are drinking Green Heineken, always opt for the Heine-can.

01-25-2010 21:51:14 | More by ktrillionaire
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

Heineken Dark has a medium, tan, creamy head and a very dark, reddish-brown appearance, with moderate carbonation. The aroma is of malt and some sort of cream or milkiness. Taste is quite malt oriented, and there is some bread flavor with it that is probably from the wheat ingredient. There is little hop character with this beer. Mouth-feel is fairly heavy, and Heineken Dark finishes smooth. Overall, I really enjoyed this sample and would highly recommend giving it a taste.

RJT

01-05-2011 01:38:22 | More by RonaldTheriot
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

Heineken Special Dark Beer pours an ebony red from a 12oz brown bottle. The tan head goes to over two fingers with small firmly packed bubbles that slightly lace the wall of the glass.

Nose is of nice toasted and burnt barley malt with some fragrant whiffs of roasted fig. Palate is of the same nice toasted and burnt barley malt with a tasty sweet barley malt note and a semisweet chocolate that pops in at the finish.

Heineken Special Dark Beer is a well built dark beer that satisfied my taste for both a stout and a porter at the same time. Although a bit thin for a stout or porter, if your not too picky this one will be a winner, it was for me.

11-02-2002 14:54:52 | More by BeerBob
SaCkErZ9

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

Dispensed from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. A dark brown beer emerges, not quite opaque, with a small but puffy tan head. Im not sure what the aroma of a euro dark lager is but this one is very very fruity. Lots of plums and figs. Tons of malt here. Not one sign of a single hop leaf in this one. This is a nice beer. I really dont know what category this may be, but I cant imagine all dark euro lagers are like this. Very fruity and a bit sweet, but I may try this one again. Due to its sweetness and overwhleming fruitiness, drinkability may be small, but still a nice beer.

11-30-2006 02:11:55 | More by SaCkErZ9
Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.