Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

good

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Dark Lager Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

Extremely dark with some Amber gaze. Maybe I'm a little stuffed up but I cannot smell anything from this beer. I've never seen the category Euro Dark Lager before so I compared it to stouts/lagers. It doesn't have a really big punch as a lot of other dark beers but is so smooth. Darker than New Castle for comparison. (320 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

REVIEW #900
(poured into a Stella glass)

L: chestnut brown liquid, and clear... beige head fizzles out rapidly... lace crumbles away immediately

S: sweet coffee, dark caramel, and a fair amount of lightly-roasted grain... moderate intensity, inviting... over-arching 'malt' aroma, similar to malta drinks and NA beers

T: light molasses in the aftertaste... pretty dry, despite the sugar-derived flavors... the bitterness seems to come from the high carbonation and roasted elements... vague resemblance to bock... caramel at its core... bit of a grassy bite at the back

F: rounded, medium-full body... pretty dry finish

O: a sentimental classic in my mind... quite possibly the first darker beer I ever had (way back at high school parties)... still something I am more than happy to drink if available at your average bar (827 characters)

Heineken Dark was one of the first dark beers that I tried and truly enjoyed. As with Stella and Heineken original, Heineken Dark helped usher me into the world of beer. (170 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This is a much better beer than their "green meenie". it is very flavorful and is lightly carbonated. Not often seen in the states but worth a try. (196 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +20.2%

Deep brown with an amber hue and excellent clarity. Poured with a thick, light beige foam with decent retention. Light, dark roast malt and corn cereal aroma. No hop aromas. Light to moderate bodied with moderate to high carbonation. Light to medium with a dry finish. Dark bready sweetness followed by corn cereal flavors. Very light hop bitterness at the finish with no hop flavor.  (385 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heineken Dark Lager Brewed by Heineken Nederland B.V., with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a dark amber color with a nice off white head. Dark Lager has the look of cola. The smell is sweet with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of hops in this brew. The taste is rich with some caramel and malts. This brew has a nice sweetness to it. There is nothing overpowering in it, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is bold , rich and full of flavor. There is a mild sweetness to this brew. Overall I'm giving Heineken Dark Lager a 4.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.
Heineken Dark Lager change my mind on Heineken Brews. FYI: this was in a BROWN bottle. Not Green. (684 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a 1.5 finger thick head, solid lacing, and a very dark brown transparent body.

Smells like sweetly roasted malts,along with earthier characteristics. Not much going on in the hop side of the scent analysis. A very rich and inviting smell.

I can taste much of the same qualities as with the smell, but to a surprisingly lesser extent. This is very enjoyable, but I wish there was more there.

The mouthfeel I'm getting with this brew is clean and crisp. This has zero aftertaste.

Overall, I'll rate Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V. with a 3.75. I enjoyed this more than their flagship product, which I've only ever had the green bottled version of at the time of this review. (824 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +28%

Sampled this afternoon while watching some football. Been awhile since I had one of these and used to come in a different bottle. Used to drink this back in the '80's every now and then. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a deep mahogany in color with some ruby highlights. About a good 1/2 finger of foamy beige head is seen when first poured. Settles down a a few mm's during the drink. Spotty lacing is seen that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is mostly of sweet dark roasted malts with a hint of dark fruits. Pretty much the same for the taste with a hint of dark bread also. Very smooth and goes down easy. Forgot how good this one is. I like this much better that the regular Heini that comes in the green bottle. Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Overall a great brew! (851 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a ruby hued mahogany color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a tiny cap

S: Some roastiness and dark fruit come through, mostly cherry pits or almonds. Definitely malty and bready

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with a bit of the fruitiness and bready malty notes and finishes with a bit of the roast and cherry/almond notes

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth

O: This one surprised me. It's very easy to drink and quite flavorful. Worth a shot if you're into dark lagers or dark beers in general (537 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer looks like a cola, with tons of ruby in an otherwise dark brown body. A cream colored head recedes to a film, no lacing.

Lots of toffee and Tootsie Roll chocolate in the nose.

Tastes much like the aroma with a metallic tang in the finish. A large chocolate component in the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, not bad considering. (385 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic glass.
Appearance: 1" off white head slowly recedes with mild lacing. Color is a reddish brown.
Aroma: mild aroma of molasses and whole wheat bread.
Mouthfeel: light and refreshing, somewhat creamy.
Flavor: chocolate, medium roasted barley, caramel, molasses with some grassy hop in the finish. Overall: a very pleasant dark lager. Nicely done. (384 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Alleluia. Just got this at the distributor - haven't had Heineken Dark since the 90s. Good deep brown and a fine head, even a little lacing. It has a faint sweet roasted smell, nothing grand. Malt is the star of the show here, and some toasty caramel as the brew warms a little. Great feel - it is just as good an easy drinking brew as I remembered it to be. If you want an extra delicious dark style, go Doppelbock - this is just meant to be a straightforward, sessionable brew. And if you want the regular Heineken Lager from the store to taste less skunky, go with the can for a fresher taste. I have no problems with Heineken, but the Dark especially makes me smile. (670 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I know of no other Beer that gets slagged and slammed more than "Heineken"..Other than say "Corona"~Regular Heineken gets a "Poor" Rating here on Beeradvocate,which is just mind boggling & for the Life of me,something I just cannot Understand whatsoever,@ all,it actually gets me a bit pissed off to be Honest,Because I think a LOT of people are Rating Heineken [and most Lagers] as SHIT,Just because they themselves do not like Lagers in general,most of all "Mass produced Macro Lagers" all these craft Beer "Snobs" need to stop this Crap,and start Rating Beers based on their "Style" and not Compare them to their own personal Favorite Beers and Ales,if a Beer is a "Lager",then rate it as such,and for gods sake man,stop bashing Beers just because you do not like the perticular Style! it's Bullshit~
anyway~Heineken Dark is simply an Amazing Beer,an Amazing Lager Beer,it is Roasty and full of Flavor,at first you pick up a nice roasted malt flavor & perhaps some hints of Chocolate & Caramel,and as the Beer warms a bit these flavors become much more pronounced and you can pick up a wee bit of Coffee and just a slight toffee taste also.
Heineken Dark is by Far my Favorite Dark Lager Beer,and I Myself have never tasted another Dark Lager that even comes close to it's perfect balance of flavors and taste,it simply is an utterly Delishious and perfectly rounded Beer~Cheers! (1,382 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -37%

Appearance: Dark thin color with a brown head.
Aroma: Very light coffee smell.
Flavor: Light bodied, light coffee stout like flavor. Finishing quite harsh.
Overall: This taste like a poorly brewed thin stout. Not sure of what the brewers are trying to do with this one. This is not a good beer at all. (301 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -50.6%

Don’t ask why I tasted this, just thank me for taking the bullet instead of you. I am a huge fan of Heineken and even Heineken Light - nothing is better for a day full of outdoor activities. Needless to say, Heineken went too far when producing this Euro Dark Lager. It lacks a clear difference in flavor profile from its counterpart and doesn’t feel complete. It might be worth trying as reviews are mixed, but I wouldn’t recommend buying a full case on a whim. (468 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why all the scores are mediocre for this beer.

A - Dark, a little bit of light came through.

S - Nothing special here. Basic lager aroma.

T - Blew me away. Some mix of iced coffee, toffee, and barley. Kind of like Guinness Draught but even that's not an apt comparison.

M- Closer to a lighter stout than a typical lager.

O - Pleasantly surprised given the tepid ratings for this beer. I'll definitely drink this in the future. (444 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -29.2%

call me old fashion but I primarily rate my beers based upon taste. I'm also a big Heineken fan. However this brew still disappointed me. It lacked a clean after taste and the flavor that it did have did not satisfy. Personally I would not recommend this brew however that is just me. I found it truly disappointing. (316 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +22.9%

This is a beer that I remember fondly from my early drinking days (in the early 1980's) and have had a hard time finding it in my area. I've just been steered to a local bottle shop that carries it and I'm ready to "relive my youth"!

Appearance: Pouring into a pilsner glass, it is a reddish brown color with a generous head that dissipates relatively quickly. Minimal lacing is left behind.

Aroma: slight hints of biscuit and malty, almost soy sauce aroma.

Taste: this is very malty and sweet. Very pleasant sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, with some light carbonation.

I find this beer to be very sessionable and delicious. This is indeed a beverage that I will seek out in the future. (705 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I would consider this an underrated beer for sure. I never heard of it until I was at a friend's place, and was handed a bottle of it, and was very thankful once I started drinking it. It is definitely a little bit darker than a normal lager, but that makes it enjoyable to me, since most porters are too dark, but sometimes I like to have darker beers than a traditional lager. If you have not tried this beer, I would definitely recommend it. (444 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +28.6%

This beer makes me feel like I am drinking a less filling porter. I love the flavor and smell. It's smooth with a great semi-coffee aftertaste. I'm definitely a Brown/Amber Lager kind of guy, so this beer fit right into my preference. I think this beer will be my staple for a while. (283 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hmm, looks alright. Served in a pilsner.

A: Pours a dark brown-red, with a tall light brown-beige head that dissipates fast, leaving not much lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, barley, grains, woods, yeast, chocolate

T: Tastes of barley, wheat, hint of chocolate, bit of coffee

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, alright

O: Kind of tastes like cheap gas station coffee. Not too bad but not too good either. It's alright, I could drink lots of these so I'd recommend it, nothing amazing, just another beer. (512 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into pilsner

Brown lager with thin to almost no brownish head

Smells: apple, caramel, cocoa.

Taste: roasted malt, cocoa, with a carmel to cocoa finish that is semi-sweet

mouthfeel: thicker

Overall, this wasn't too bad but it isn't anything to get excited over. I'm surprised I chose this beer as I've had poor results with dark lagers. (354 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +22%

The poor was something off of a beer documentary for me, the smell was what i dream of, and the taste was completely comforting and warm.
I first tried this beer with a friend and was a little unconvinced that heineken could pull this off. Well i was wrong they nailed it for me. If a dark somewhat "light" lager is what you prefer with hints of chocolate, caramel, cream, and roasted malt. You have to try this stand out beer from heineken. Top 5 of mine for sure. (467 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer exhibits a dark, ruby-red body with a thick, chunky head. Malt grains combine with a faintly chocolate scent to produce a pleasant aroma. Taste comes across with a nice roasted malt character with hints of mild chocolate; light hop bitterness pops up at the finish. Light yet deceptively rich body, smooth and buttery.

Another beer that I used to drink decades ago but haven't touched in years. I recall back then that this beer was a delicious find and I think this holds true today. Perhaps a little fizzy on the mouthfeel side of things, but its warm, welcoming dark flavors are the highlight. (606 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +26.8%

What can I say? I recently hit upon a local gold mine in terms of singles for sale. I just want to drink different beers until I find The One. It is sort of the same reason that I am still single.

From the bottle: "Brewed with passion for quality."

The pour erased any question that it might not be dark. I had two-plus fingers of rocky, deep-tan head by the time that I was done and it looked like the top of a root beer float. Color was ruby-red with NE-quality clarity and I began to think of the last time I had seen a beer this pretty. Nose was rich with caramel, toffee, even coconut. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very caramel-like with a hint of smoke on the tongue. Finish was likewise faintly smoky and semi-dry, not sweet at all. First of all, I am not ashamed to say that I was impressed. Secondly, is it too much to ask them to CAN this beer? I would readily put some in the cooler. (906 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.