Heineken Dark Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

good

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Dark Lager Alström Bros
3.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: light cola brown with ruby highlights. A fairly modest head sticks initially but dissapates after a couple of sips to near nothingness. The lack of lacing was quite disappointing.

Smell: rich, sweet malt with caramel. A mild, bitter roastiness also pulls through. Rather one-dimensional, but somewhat enjoyable and better than average.

Taste: A moderate balance of sweet caramel malt and roasted malt character are complemented by a very mild bitterness for a fairly dry finish. Through retro-olfaction, a thin sweet wine taste presents itself. A very simple flavor that is mildly sweet and roasty. Too thin and not very complex, but satisfactory.

Mouthfeel: thin and a little flat. Needs more carbonation to make the mouthfeel more lively to compensate for the rather weak flavor.

Drinkability: Oh, I have drunk my share of Heineken Dark when I was in the mood for a simple session brew. Of course there are much better session brews out there, but a good micro session brew is hard to find around New Orleans.

Notes: This is an average beer that doesn't taste bad, but certainly does not impress. This is just a beer that I kill time with friends with and it hasn't let me down. If better microbrews were available, I would drink them, but there aren't many choices in New Orleans apart from Martin's Wine Cellar. In short, Heineken Dark is a beer I sometimes choose to have and will never turn down. (1,429 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this a long time ago and decided to try it again. Bottle into a pint.

A:A clear dark ruby/caramel with a light tan head that skips town early. Little to no lacing

S: Sweet, slightly roasted malt. Not very strong.

T: Nothing that screams at you, but nothing that really brings this beer down; an all around good flavor; very subtle and smooth. Roasted malts,and a very, very slight hint of coffee...maybe a little chocolate. Although this is a lager, I taste similarities to other brown ales I've tried. The only thing reminding me it's a lager is a very light bite at the end from the carbonation.

M: Very smooth with an almost creamy texture.

D: Could probably have a few.

Good all around beer. Try it if you haven't. (736 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +14.8%

I bought a 6-pack of this stuff at the local Save-a-Lot. Was on sale for 6.99 a 6-pack. I am outside having my usual cigar and beer combo.

Appearance - Deep red color. Looks amazing. For a dark lager, this is impressive. My mouth is watering already.

Smell - Not as good as it could be, nonetheless is good for any type of lager.

Taste - Wow, this is great stuff coming from the Heineken place. It's got that beer flavoring, but with a hint of coffee and fruit.

Mouthfeel - Great aftertaste, but doesn't stick around long.

Drinkability - Very easy to down. Drinking heavy porters lately, it makes this very easy to drink. Can see myself having more than one.

Overall, this is a great beer. It should honestly be rated a bit higher. This seems like an almost reverse of the regular Heineken which I honestly don't enjoy too much. Props to Heineken making a great beer. (885 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +40.1%

a beer that i thought that was every where but i was wrong.

A= pours a brown color in the amber family with a cream color head.

S= hoppy smell.

T= a toffe/butterscotch taste with hops

MF=smooth wiht medium cardonation.

this beer leaves light lacing behind, this is one of my favorites
everyone should try it.

cheers! (322 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

A: A dark ruby color with a beige two finger head. Went down to a nice lacing that liked to stick to the side of the glass.

S: Definitely some sweetness, bread and yeast. Maybe some caramel.

T: A mixture of bread tastes and sweet tastes with a clean bitterness on the back end. Leaves somewhat of a bitter aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation. Well balanced beer. Not syrupy, but not a light bodied beer either.

D: Easy to drink. My second Euro Dark Lager and I like this style, so far. (489 characters)

Poured into a pint glass a dark mahogany with a nice foamy beige 2 finger head. Good retention and substantial lacing. Slight roasted nutty aroma. Taste was dominated by sweet malt, caramel, and raisin bread. A medium-light body with big carbonation. Goes down easy and is quite refreshing. Unintrusive aftertaste. A year-round session brew and much more likable than regular Heineken lager. (391 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a deep, dark amber color with a bit of head retention and very little carbonation, which I took as a positive sign considering how many lagers seem overly fizzy. The aroma is pleasantly sweet and malty, and sweetness is the predominant feature of the taste as well. After the sweet sensations fade I’m left with a rather thin, watery flavour. I will confess that my expectations were not set very high for this brew, and although it didn’t surpass my expectations by any great degree I still find it drinkable and not unpleasant with a meal. I would certainly choose it over the standard Heineken lager, but overall it lacks the texture of a really good dark lager. (673 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz bottle - Served quite warm

Appearance/Head: Reddish brown color, clear. Decent, if a little light head.

Aroma: Not too strong. Homebrew Malt Extract with notes of cinnamon, brown sugar, and coffee.

Taste: Clean, malty, slightly sweet, with a little late spice. I can't notice any hops at all.

Bottom line: If you like malty flavors, and you are at a bar with a limited beer selection, give Heine Dark a try. Otherwise, it is simply a medicore dark lager. (472 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

I am a fan of Heineken Lager so when i saw this beer i was intrigued. I however was not a fan of this beer. I felt it was just bland, not a lot of different things going going on with this. The head also died rather quickly. I was little dissappointed with this one (265 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I was surprised how much I liked this beer, I bought it on a whim thinking it would be, well, not so good. But it looked good, very dark, smelled kind of nutty and tasted good with a well-balanced mix of malts, oats and nuts flavors. It went well with the Hamburger I was eating. I would recommend this beer as most people would be surprised on its taste. (355 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A - Poured at an angle, little to no head- about a quarter inch of white cream. It looked like coca-cola in the glass I poured it it almost- maybe just one shade lighter. A good amount of carbonation. A couple inches above the bottom of the glass as I have drank it down, the color seems to change to a brownish/red in hue.

S - It barely smells even when poured into a glass, maybe a slight amount of roast and sweetness. As I drink it further down the smells seem to come out a little stronger. I almost feel like I sense a hint of chocolate.

T - It initially tastes a little bit like a very light chocolate mixed with perhaps a dark cherry flavoring and an almost undetectable sweetness familiar with molassess. Afterwards when you swallow your tongue can feel a very small amount of bitterness remaining. The flavours are not very intense and it is an easy drinker.

M - This beer isn't thick nor extremely watery feeling, sort of in the middle grounds. I let it warm up a little bit to 40-45 degrees as the six-pack's box recommended.

I would give it a 2.25/5. I don't think I will buy it again, but its not bad! Definately worth trying atleast once. (1,158 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -31.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A--Dark Amber with an inch of fizzy,light tan head

S--Almost no smell. Bready with a little caramel

T--Watery with bready and caramel notes. Bitterness from hops is present, but it doesn't add to the flavor much at all

M--Thin to medium body with decent carbonation

D--Easy to drink. Just not interesting to drink (349 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Blood-amber color. Fluffy head, with more lacing than a typical macro-lager.

S- Toasted malt, caramel, and sourdough bread.

T- Hop flavor, then sweet caramel maltiness. In the end, yeast and yummy toasted sourdough bread aftertaste remains.

M- Smooth, medium body. Denser than most lagers. Nice carbonation persists long after the head perishes.

D- A surprisingly refreshing and complex lager, ESPECIALLY considering its evil distant cousin - the Heineken Pale Lager. Nice balance of malts and just enough bittering hops. If I'm in a lager mood and there's no micro- options, I won't hesitate to grab a few of these. (623 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A Poured into a glass. This beer has a nice look, reddish brown clear color with a thick frothy tan head that left a little lacing on the glass, not a lot of carbonation

S Grainy, sweet hops and a hint of malt

T Crisp and hoppy, a little sweetness, kind of oaky hops really hit on the finish

M Thin and crisp, a little watery

D Goes down easily, hops are a little too strong for my taste but not overpowering crisp finish. For a dark lager would be good on a hot day. Would pare well with red meat (501 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance- Dark brown though with red shines. Nice close foamy head off the pour, nice appearance overall.

Smell- Fresh grains, cream, nutty and slight yeast and malty smell, basically the smell of tamed out lager almost metallic nose.

Taste- Nice balance of malts and lager kind of a flavor, reminds me of a lighter bock, very refreshing malts with a very slight touch of hops

Mouth feel- Very smooth creamy and easy drinking, light body and acid notes coming from CO2.

Drinkability- Nice balance of a lighter lager and slightly darker tones, easy to drink more than a six pack. (584 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

This came in a 12oz bottle...appearance was dark. Not dark like a stout, but dark enough. The smell was pleasant. You can smell the roasted ingredients which are pleasant on the the ole schnoze. Taste is full of roasted bits. It's east on the taste buds, and goes well with good meal, like steak or prime rib. Mouthfeel is alittle on the thick side, in that it will coat the tounge, but not disgustingly so. The drinkability is high (at least for me). A good session beer for someone that likes a dark beer, but doesn't want the gut filling properties of a full on stout. All around this is not a bad offering from a company ( I say company and not brewery on purpose) that is reknowned for their fizzy yellow skunk piss lager. (727 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've been a long time Heineken fan and when I first saw this beer on the shelf I got very excited. Of course I bought it and took it home and let it chill. I was not sure what to expect when I tried it but I guess I got my hopes up. The flavor was surely fine, I felt it had a nice thick creamy taste to it, although that is not one of my favorites. It went down very smooth and left a nice aftertaste and I think I could get use to it after some time. I know there are some looking for this type of beer but as an original Heineken fan it just isn't quite adequate. (566 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -29.2%

call me old fashion but I primarily rate my beers based upon taste. I'm also a big Heineken fan. However this brew still disappointed me. It lacked a clean after taste and the flavor that it did have did not satisfy. Personally I would not recommend this brew however that is just me. I found it truly disappointing. (316 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first dark beer I ever drank 30 years ago, but have not seen one on the shelf for years.
I had one this weekend and was pleasantly surprised, it was a nice blend of flavors with good color and smell. nothing to overpower the senses. but nothing to offend them either. (279 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +16.3%

I've never really been a Heineken fan since it's always seemed like everyone who loves it doesn't know much about beer, but I've been to the brewery in Amsterdam and it seemed pretty tip-top.

a- a reddish brown, with a hint of bronze and a large light head. Very clear, not much going on here.

s- very sweet smell, hints of maple and brown sugar, smells delicious.

t- comes on like a typical dark lager, but the middle is very sweet and it has a woody finish. Much more complex than everything else I've had by Heineken.

m- Absolutely no alcohol in the aftertaste which I like. The problem is the woody finish leaves a bitter aftertaste, which I don't like.

d- A very good overall beer. Not too heavy, not too complex, not too expensive, will buy this again.

Heineken, I apologize for my previous bias! (809 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance - The first thing that struck me was how impressively dark the color of the beer was, Dark amber and very clear, no cloudyness at all.

Smell - heavy pleasent smell of toasted malts, hints of other lighter smells my nose is not attuned enough to pick out.

Taste - Sweet initial blast, followed by a gradual transition after swallowing to a clean bitter aftertaste that lingers in the back of the throat for a bit.

Mouthfeel - very slightly heavier feeling than a domestic light beer. Carbonation seems appropriate for the feel without affecting the flavor.

drinkability - Average drinkability, the lasting bitter aftertaste wears on my palette after awhile, making this beer a shorter than wanted experience. (722 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -30.4%

(a) A dark copper color, brownish almost sea foam like head that dissipated quickly with no trace afterwards.

(s) a barely their subdued hops smell

(t) slight carbonation in the front on the first could of sips, otherwise i found it to be extremely watery tasting, with a slight hop/malt taste combo that struggled to make and impression.

(m) light and very underwhelming, left a clear pallet

(d)"sigh", was very disappointed and not impressed, i suppose i was expecting something more, more full body more something. I am willing to give it another go, but on average just by this experience i would pass 9 times out of 10. (631 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +22%

The poor was something off of a beer documentary for me, the smell was what i dream of, and the taste was completely comforting and warm.
I first tried this beer with a friend and was a little unconvinced that heineken could pull this off. Well i was wrong they nailed it for me. If a dark somewhat "light" lager is what you prefer with hints of chocolate, caramel, cream, and roasted malt. You have to try this stand out beer from heineken. Top 5 of mine for sure. (467 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -50.6%

Don’t ask why I tasted this, just thank me for taking the bullet instead of you. I am a huge fan of Heineken and even Heineken Light - nothing is better for a day full of outdoor activities. Needless to say, Heineken went too far when producing this Euro Dark Lager. It lacks a clear difference in flavor profile from its counterpart and doesn’t feel complete. It might be worth trying as reviews are mixed, but I wouldn’t recommend buying a full case on a whim. (468 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a much better evolution from the original classic Heineken beer. This dark lager is tasty, and I would drink this as a casual drink anywhere.
THE APPEARANCE is that of a dark amber, beautiful coloration in this brew. Nice foaming effect, lasts for quite a bit on top, nice amount of carbonation just like the original.
THE SMELL is that of a sweet chestnut, with a hint of wheat or corn If you will.
THE TASTE- I was surprised here, it actually tastes pretty dark. Slightly sweet twist of burnt toffee, deep roasted chestnut, and a smalll hint of sweet black coffee. That's the best I can really describe it lol. Its still a bit watery as the original was, but I think this is on purpose to let people know that they are still drinking Heineken.
Good job on this brew. Its beautiful, and definitely worth the price. (823 characters)

Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.