Heineken Tarwebok - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken TarwebokHeineken Tarwebok

good

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Weizenbock |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 02-02-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Autumn has come again and brings back all the bock beers that I prefer over the spring bocks, to be honest.
Bottle of 300 ml, poured into a snifter glass. I like the bottle's label and the crown cap, with the goat head on it and all that.
Beer has a deep ruby colour, that looks almost brown without a light source against it. Onr finger of beige head, that disappeared quickly, leaving just some light lacing behind and some bubbles on the beer's surface.
Aroma is mostly caramel, roasted malts and some chocolate. A light smell of alcohol too.
On the taste, a toffee flavour is dominant, along with mocha and bitter chocolate. Quite sweet, saved by the aftertaste which is more bitter.
Medium to full body with average carbonation.
Overall a good beer, and the ABV of 6,5% doesn't seem to be that obvious, which in combination with its sweetness, makes it more an everyday bock beer for me.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottled: unk

look is standard with some initial foam over an Amber beer, etched surface. Nose Carries, cherry and toasted brown sugar along with some decent Bock malts. Taste is vanilla, sweet, wheat and fruity. A little thin bodied with hi carb. Drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a murky, burgundy color with a two-finger, khaki colored head of foam. It left some sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of wheat and roasted malt with some boozy notes.

T - Very malty and sweet with biscuity flavors. There were some wheat, banana and clove notes.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied brew with a dry finish.

O - This is okay. A little too sweet for my taste in Weizenbocks.

First taste of a Weizenbock, and I love Heineken so I couldn't get to this bottle fast enough. Cracked it open as soon as I got home from the Beer Store.

A: Very deep dark reddish amber coloring with about a finger and a half worth of head. Head disappears to a nice even layer of lacing that covers all around.

S: Mostly sweet malt aromas coming thru here, with a faint hint of sweet fruit, cherries and maybe some very mild apricot tones.

T: Wow. Nothing at all like I expected, its very sweet. Tasting some toast malts and cherry. Second taste, it reminds me of a flat cherry coke or pepsi. Still think i'm getting some light apricot notes here as I was with my nose. Light bitterness of hops towards the end but its very unique mixed with flavors. The sweetness sticks around, as you lick your lips you can taste it. Almost has a syrupy quality to it.

M: Not much carbonation doesn't do much to help any of the flavors. Leaves a creamyness on the tongue immediately after you swallow and then that fades to a dryness on the tongue.

O: First try with this style of beer, I def. enjoyed it. I've read up on it a bit and it seems this style can run the gamit on the sweetness. I'd be very interested in trying another to compare this to and also try this on tap and see if I can notice much of a difference.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

We pour a deep auburn brew. It holds a two finger head of light brown bubbles. This dissipates at a medium pace. Stripes of lacing are left around the glass, with a film and aggregates of bubbles left floating atop the glass. Carbonation appears moderate, and there is no sediment noted. The aroma is mild, with caramel and slightly toasted malts. There are faint butters, and a bit of a metallic note. With warmth come banana esters, but these sit on the back, with the ethanol, and a clovey phenolic pinch. As we sip, the first thing we notice is a flash of bitter malts, followed by some bone-dry chocolate. The flavoring quickly sweetens up, with white sugar sweetness, cooked caramel, and a creamy, milky sweetness. This is cut at the transition with by some peppery booze and bready malts. The real peak shows banana esters, which both soften up and feed into the initial sugary base. There is a blunt bittering of cinnamon and nutmeg through the end, with metallic, tinny malts, that take on a more adjuncty form here. The aftertaste breathes of cooked malts, coiny metals, soy sauce saltiness, and more of those finishing adjuncts. With a few breathes there are curious hints of fresh coconut, but these are faint. The body is medium, and carbonation is towards the upper limits up medium. There is little smack or slurp, and there is a puckering to each sip. The feel is watery at times, but the lips are left nicely sticky. The mouth is slightly dried. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks decently.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was the aroma. Although mild, there were some nice malts and sweeter, caramel and estery inclusions. The taste, however was too sweet, and became overwhelming at points. Additionally, it was felt that for the style, the malts were a bit too dark, overpowering the esters and phenols, both of which we would have liked to see more represented.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed this at my in laws. It was part of a Heineken holiday pack. Never heard of this brew before.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A) This is a dark amber. A fairly aggressive pour yielded roughly a finger of off white head. The head dissipated rather quickly, leaving behind just a collar of foam. No lacing noted.

S) Big malty sweetness, and really not much else. The sweet aroma definitely dominates the nose on this one. I have to say, that I found it appealing.

T) It was as sweet as the nose led me to believe it might be. Sweet roasted malt, caramel, a little bit of like a nutty coffee blend. I picked up a bit of booze on the backend. The aroma was one thing, but this was just a tick too sweet for me. Pretty good though...

M) This was pretty full bodied, and it did not have much carbonation, which suited this beer quite well. It was very smooth, and despite the fact it was just a little to sweet for my tastes, I found it very easy to drink. The finish and aftertaste were very satisfying.

O) This was a nice after dinner sipper for sure. Likely the highlight of the holiday pack from Heineken. I would recommend giving this beer a try.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just picked up a Holiday Case. Which is to say I just purchased a Heineken Holland's Heritage Limited Edition 24 Pack for the 2011 Holiday Season. The entire case consists of all of Heineken's line, Lite, Regular, Dark and Tarwebok.

The only way to purchase the Tarwebok in my area is to purchase this limited edition case. It's a treat for the holidays and last year Heineken got smart and offered an 18 pack of Lite, Regular and Dark. This year they got smarter and offered, all 4 styles. A real hit. And my local Total Wine was nearly sold out by the time I got around to buying it.

The Tarwebok is something special. I'm, a big fan of Spaten Dopplebock, (Optimator) so this stuff is definitely on par with that. However, the big difference lies in the sweetness. Heineken's Tarwebok is very very sweet and is a traditional bockbier. So much so that unless your familiar with "sweet" beer, it may knock you off your socks.

It's appearance is near perfect. A deep dark amber, bordering on pure brown. The aroma is that of pure Malt with a hit of Hops.

Taste, well let me say this...there any nothing on the market that compares. It's unique. If someone can tell me of another product that falls into this category Please let me know. This beer is UNIQUE. Sad tale is that Heineken hasn't figured out how to capitalize on what they do best and that's ashame.

Mouthfeel... in a word...Heavy. Not at first, but shortly there after. And with that said, the heavyness that comes with the mouthfeel, lends itself to drunkness. It's one of the heavyest beers I ever had to carry..lol

Taste, now I could right a book on the taste. Only because it'so damn unique. I haven't had a beer of this quality that's so interesting. So I'm going to spell it out.

a) Hints of Morning Blend Maxwellhouse Coffee and English Breakfast Tea.

b) Deep, Ripe Cherries

c) Toffee

d) Caramel

e) A form of Liquor. Although I can't place the variety or brand. But possibly Kahlua.

f) And of course the very best of "that morning after sweet beer taste/smell" that all of us are familiar with. You know what I mean, the smell that lingers till the next morning, when you wake up and smell the aroma coming from your mug that was left in the kitchen sink, unwashed and sinking of beautiful Beer.

In conclusion, it's nearly the perfect Bock Beer.

Heineken, Executives...if you have dared yourselves to work to this level, (actually reading the reviews of the people who count) listen and listen good. You are missing the boat. You have no idea of your own potential. Stop, look and listen. This review is as much for the novice drunkard as it is for the Vice President of Heineken itself. No make that the President.

First I commend you on your strategy to "limit" distribution of this special product. Second, you disgrace the beer drinking world by not offering this product more regularly. Third, knowing what matters most to you is profit, I sincerely suggest you recalibrate everything for the betterment of everything.

Drink up.

Always yours...,

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Note: I'm not sure where the "weizenbock" comes from, this looks, smells and tastes like pure bock beer to me.

Appearance - 3.5
A thin beige head sits atop the clear, deep ruby-brown body.

Smell - 4.0
Malt dominates the aroma; roasted and candied hazelnuts, sweet dark bread and hard toffee.

Taste - 3.5
Much the same as the smell, but with a gentle fruitiness from the malt and elevated alcohol. Very clean and rather sweet, but balanced by its strength, finishes with more peppery alcohol than desirable.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Medium bodied and silky smooth with just a little, fine carbonation - some may call it flat, but I think it is appropriate for the style.

Drinkability - 4.0
Bocks were never supposed to be session beers and this is no different. However, as winter sipper, I could see myself drinking a lot of this beer.

OVERALL
Bock beers are rather hard to come by in Australia, so this is a rare treat and a far more interesting beer than Heineken's usual product.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Here we are, the alleged Heineken beer that doesn't suck. Let's see if I share the same taste for this beer, as the late Michael Jackson had:

I poured this brew into a tulip glass, and it made a good appearance with a sticky and clumpy tan head, as well as a dark ruby red colored body with great clarity.

Aroma was it's very perfumy. There are also subtle hints of chocolate, and perhaps maple syrup.

Taste wise it's in line with the chocolate flavor, and has a slight cola flavor to it.

Feel wise, it's creamy and full in body with a warming alcohol finish.

Okay, for a beer brewed from a brewery that's somewhat shunned by most beer geeks or snobs, this is a great beer. Heineken really should try to market this beer a bit more, and shed light to the masses that they can make a very good beer.

Note: This is actually a weizenbock, as it is brewed with 17% wheat malt.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Heineken Tarwebok from Heineken Nederland B.V.