Desperados - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

American Pale Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Andreji on 04-23-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Desperados Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

On the nose plenty of lime, the taste is lime cordial. There's very little carbonation very flat. Easy to drink not bad. But unfortunately I won't be seeking it out again.

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #90 (July 2014):

Lime Candy, Soda, Thin

A clear bottled lager that is “Tequila Barrel Aged” and “Natural Flavor” makes it on the label as well. It looks like a beer but smells like a lime grove, perhaps a faint hint of Tequila on the palate but this lime flavor dominates like a cheap foreign soda. A pretty pathetic attempt at infusing the whole Tequila and lime flavor into a beer.

STYLE: Pale Lager | ABV: 6.0% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

3.39/5  rDev +43.6%

I figured it having tequila it wouldn't be smooth, but I was wrong. Had it with some food and it didn't fill me up a lot. Would recommend at least to try. I don't see this as a beer I drink quite a bit, but every once in awhile.

Interesting lager that is tequila flavoured. Has a hidden 6% ABV due to its sweetness and is better than the common economic lagers you find in the supermarket - the tequila taste is not at all awful.

2.42/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What were they thinking. Why did I try it three times (bottle, can, Red)?

This is a nasty brew I found in Martinique. I was not drunk enough to drink this easily. I had to force it down.

It's yellow and has bubbles. The aroma is funky - there is a hint of tequila in this, I think. The taste is like a bad, flat-ish beer with a half shot of tequila in it. It is as bad as that sounds. The big can was just as bad as the bottle.

2.59/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 11.2 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a skunky aroma mixed with lime and tequila extract.
Appearance-A clear golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles, very small head.
Taste- Lime and tequila extract with some grain or corn. Not bad, but pretty sweet.
Palate- A light bodied beer that has moderate carbonation and a sweet aftertaste.
Overall- Not my type of beer, it could easily be a session beer for those who like this style.

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Review: Can of Desperados Beer: 5.9% ABV

As a fan of tequila, and straight (none of that salt and lime shite), anything that has the devils juice in it has my backing. So Desperadoes is an interesting brew alright, one definitely to try. With an ABV of just under 6% giving it an added incentive.

The appearance isn’t the best to be honest, pretty clear showing a golden orange colour with an initial decent frothy creamy head that dissipates quick enough. Some good lacing, but also dies soon after, looks like a lot of chemicals in this beer.

There is a very strong smell as you would expect ,very very sweet, like a fruit juice, mostly of citrus.

The taste has a very sweet and citrus taste to it, a bit tangy, tasting of lemon, lime and I guess Tequila. I say I guess because I’m not so sure of you can pick up the taste of the tequila. There is also an interesting deep sour aftertaste.

Having said all that I have to say the beer isn’t that bad. Once you get over the initial shock at all the sweet tastes, you do grow into it, and it does become a relatively smooth enough beer to drink. I think these beers would be a great accompaniment to a night on the town, perhaps have two or three to give you a little kick in your drinking during the night, or before you hit the clubs. Any more than that and I’m not sure how they would go down. I don’t think I could drink more than two or three to be honest. But overall its a good effort and I like the idea of Desperadoes. Have I found the taste of the tequila? Not sure, but then does it matter, the beer has a certain function which is to set you up for the party or the night, and this beer does that perfectly. A good party beer.

1.56/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watery at first but with an awful aftertaste which should be like Tequila but is something between detergent and artificial sugar. Disappointing at best.

3.06/5  rDev +29.7%

This sweet tasting beer says tequila but really has a very sweet agave and citrus taste to it. Lightly carbonated. I served this extra cold and it was liked by most at the tasting. It could've had something to do with it being over 40 degrees Celsius at the time but who knows.

Picked this up to try something new. It was not at all what I expected.

Smells like lemon, grass, and tequila.

Pours with zero head and has the mouth-feel of a malt beverage, like Smirnoff.

It is mild and grainy with a lot of lime, lemon, and tequila. I like tequila, but this is a little too sweet for me. Has a little woodiness in there but it doesn't linger.

Overall this is a definite pass.

The beginning deceives, because the taste that goes down the Adam's apple and is left in the mouth is very bad. Should be good for those who love tequila, but I was desperate after I took !!!

4.38/5  rDev +85.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Desperados is the reason why I try so many different beers - whether it's IPAs, PAs, lagers, wheat beers, fruit beers, or whatever - the anticipation that that next bottle getting cracked open is *the* beer is one of the reasons why I love beer. Desperados brought me that joy.

Appearance-wise it wasn't anything that started out overly impressive to me. Decent head, but no staying power. The smell though was the first hint that this was special. The perfectly mixed odor of tequila with the barley and malt was so sweet to the nose. The mouthfeel accentuated the smell - thick, crisp, and bold. The taste was what really blew me away - the lager flavor mixed oh so well with the tequila - I wish I had thought of this idea myself. Overall, it's a great beer - I am so glad I still quite a few of these left.

Found a stray little 15cl bottle at the grocery store down the street. Probably fell out of some kind of extinct party pack that they were selling for the World Cup, but I couldn't find an obvious source. No bar code on it, but the cashier charged me 40 cents and we were both happy.

From a 15cl clear bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Clear yellow with a small, foamy white head that quickly fades to a faint wisp and ring. Perfectly clear golden yellow with medium amounts of carbonation. Slight ring remains but leaves no lacing.

SMELL: Some grainy malts, lemon, and the signature tequila aromas on the nose. It doesn't smell like beer of course, but it's not all that bad.

TASTE: Follows the nose really. Mild up front with some grainy malts, then lemon and tequila at the swallow. Some wood flavors with lemon and lime in there, as well as some sweetness from the grain. Tequila is present and lends more sweetness but isn't off-putting. It's a bit sweet for my current palate, but it's still alright.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Not all that creamy, a bit foamy perhaps, goes down fine and finishes a touch dry.

OVERALL: When I first moved to Germany in 2002, a mate of mine and myself drank this stuff by the boatload. It was everywhere in the north, and people in their late teens and early twenties drank it at bars and clubs quite regularly. It still is quite popular in Europe among young people, and I see why. It's much more palatable than some of the grainy lagers that are readily available at bars, and for a young person just wanting to get a buzz without having to choke something nasty down, this is a fine option. It doesn't exactly taste like beer per se, but it's not trying to either. Most people just rate it into the ground because it's easy and accepted. However, it's certainly decent for what it is, and brings back some fun memories...

Picked this up, as well as others, while grabbing a La Familiar at a tiny Hispanic store. Probably in the minority here, but I thought this was ok. In fact, better than Tequiza. To me, it almost tasted like ginger ale beer, with a very slight hint of woodiness. Not saying I would regularly pick up a 6er or deucey duce of it, but it was palatable.

2.79/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Desperados Tequila flavored Beer
.33 L bottle
€3,50 @ Dos Pescados, Berlin, Germany

First off, is this beer made with Tequila or not? The packaging reads both "Tequila Flavored Beer" and "Flavoured with Tequila" - not necessarily the same thing. However their website clearly states "Desperados is a beer flavoured with Tequila". Somehow I think it's a "tequila" flavoring. And that there's some lime flavoring added as well.

With that said, it was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't think it tasted like Tequila mixed into beer. On the other hand, I've never mixed Tequila and beer so I can't really say. There was some odd "woodiness" to it, and the previously noted lime, but not what I'd call "Tequila". Maybe cheap Tequila...

Overall I'd have to say that this is just a gimmicky beverage that will run its course and disappear shortly. Of course you never know. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're like me and you just have to try it to see what it's like I can give the go ahead for that. You probably won't want a second one, but it is easy to drink and you won't have any trouble finishing it.

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale color with white head that disappears quickly. Sweet, artificial smell that doesn't mix well with the base beer. Taste starts with some kind of weird air freshener note. A nasty sweetness lingers throughout the taste. Light and prickly body. Quite bad overall.

3.14/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

330ml bottle poured into tulip 6/7/13

A greenish hints in a yellow body, not any bubbles but there's more then I can see because a thumbs width of foam sits for a few sips and leaves a few random patches of lace

S smells like 7up with added sugar, maybe just a little lemon but I'm not getting any tequila, just sweet citric sugar water

T some honey perhaps on top of what I smell but in all honesty I feel like I should be dumping some rye over ice cubes and topping my glass with this

M sweet and slick, cola like fizz and leaves my mouth slimy

O I thought this would be much worse, more like a clear citric pop then a beer but considering I thought it would be undrinkable I'm happy that It's easy enough to down

16$ a 6er +tax +deposit? I'd never buy this for any reason but I don't quite understand its reputation as one of the worlds worst.

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

From 06/07/13 notes. Poured from a 33cl bottle into a flute because it was the only beer in the mini-fridge in our hotel in Avignon, France, and the only glass as well.

a - Pours a clear pale yellow color with two fingers of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident. Looks like an adjunct lager.

s - Smells pretty disgusting overall. Smells of a ton of skunkyness, tequila, sweet sugar, earthy notes, and some citrus and lime. Not a fan of this at all.

t - The taste is actually much better than the nose, though not good. Tastes of citrus, corn, grains, bread, toasted malts, sweet sugar, lime, and tequila. Too sweet and not good, but much better than the nose and bareable.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Too sweet.

o - Overall a really bad beer in my opinion; struggled to drink half the 33cl bottle and drain poured the other half. Tequila and sweet sugar throughout, and the nose sucked. Would not recommend.

2.32/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: a dark golden color, filtered, poured a one finger width head quickly disappearing.
S: sweet floral arrangement. Very appealing to the nose. Almost like a blush wine.
T: oh my!! Not at all what I was expecting. Definitely not of the style. Bitter, sour, and the floral aroma is definitely there in the taste like rose but it throws the taste completely off.
M/D: medium bodied lite carbonation and the taste throws the mouthfeel. Overall very hard to drink and I will by tossing the rest of the beer.

2.52/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured a nice head that lingered for a while and left traces. Pale yellow color.
Low carbonation. Strong lemon and tequila aroma. Flavor follow aroma, though it doesn’t taste it right, a little artificial. One step up would be to have this beer in real reposado tequila casks. So, end result was a Smirnoff ice type of beer, then you wonder…
On the good side, it seems they used just malts and the 5.9% alcohol cannot be felt, whatsoever.

3.35/5  rDev +41.9%

Stopped into a bar for an afternoon beer after visiting the Reina Sofia in Madrid. This was the most expensive beer on the menu, so naturally, this is what I ordered.

A - Darker than a Corona, but looks like a Mexican beer.

S - Sweet agave nectar. This says its flavored with tequila on the bottle, but is very apparent in the nose.

T - Sweet. I can imagine drinking this on a hot summer day. However, this is too sweet to drink more than one bottle. If Corona is too skunky for you, you might enjoy this brew. If you don't like sweet beers, this isn't for you.

M - Actually somewhat heavy compared to how it looks.

O - Interesting beer available abroad. Probably can't drink more than one.

2.66/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed while watching planes land at sunset beach st marteen.
A: single finger head on a clear pale golden body.

S: sweet and fruity. Not much else. Fairly aromatous

T: very sweet and syrupy. Mostly pineapple, apple and grape on a barely present malt background. The tequila can definitely be sensed in the finish.

M: light to medium body. Light to moderate carbonation.

Overall: very interesting beer. Not something you want or see everyday.

2.26/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle of 330 ml, poured just half a glass for the review and the rest drank from the bottle.

Golden yellow colour with a two finger thick head, with very good retention. Lots of bubbles in the glass.
Smell is of lemon/lime, like it has a soft drink in it. maybe too strong of a smell.
Flavour follows the aroma, with a strong lime taste and somewhere on the back you can taste the tequila.
Medium thickness on the body and very light carbonation.
I don't see myself drinking this one any time soon, since I don't use to mix my beer with any other alcoholic drinks. Maybe if I was 15 again and this one was really really cheap, I would prefer it.

1.84/5  rDev -22%

330ml bottle served into a Lager glass.Enjoyed?? in 1997.
Pours bright gold in color.Clear appearance.White crown & large bubbles.Surprising retention.Thick lacing too.On nose, citrics & hues of alcohol.Sweet at first sip develops a honey/sirupy tasting.A real alcoholic soda pop.Well, this is not a cocktail at all but artificial flavors & aromas indeed.Not refreshing at all.Light body,medium carbonation.Drinkability?? just a beverage to forget & avoid.Even if you like Tequila and/or beer, you must´n try this.

1.25/5  rDev -47%

Look: the beer pours clear orange-amber color with a white soapy head.
Smell: Disgusting. Euroshopper lager with some sugar water and lemon
Taste: Very sweet, caramel, sugar, lemon soda.
Mouthfeel: Thin body, medium carbonation
Overall: Not a beer, more a soda.

Desperados from Heineken Nederland B.V.