Desperados - Heineken Nederland B.V.

DesperadosDesperados

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

American Pale Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Andreji on 04-23-2004

Ratings: 205 | Reviews: 71
Reviews by Dayman766:

Found a stray little 15cl bottle at the grocery store down the street. Probably fell out of some kind of extinct party pack that they were selling for the World Cup, but I couldn't find an obvious source. No bar code on it, but the cashier charged me 40 cents and we were both happy.

From a 15cl clear bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Clear yellow with a small, foamy white head that quickly fades to a faint wisp and ring. Perfectly clear golden yellow with medium amounts of carbonation. Slight ring remains but leaves no lacing.

SMELL: Some grainy malts, lemon, and the signature tequila aromas on the nose. It doesn't smell like beer of course, but it's not all that bad.

TASTE: Follows the nose really. Mild up front with some grainy malts, then lemon and tequila at the swallow. Some wood flavors with lemon and lime in there, as well as some sweetness from the grain. Tequila is present and lends more sweetness but isn't off-putting. It's a bit sweet for my current palate, but it's still alright.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Not all that creamy, a bit foamy perhaps, goes down fine and finishes a touch dry.

OVERALL: When I first moved to Germany in 2002, a mate of mine and myself drank this stuff by the boatload. It was everywhere in the north, and people in their late teens and early twenties drank it at bars and clubs quite regularly. It still is quite popular in Europe among young people, and I see why. It's much more palatable than some of the grainy lagers that are readily available at bars, and for a young person just wanting to get a buzz without having to choke something nasty down, this is a fine option. It doesn't exactly taste like beer per se, but it's not trying to either. Most people just rate it into the ground because it's easy and accepted. However, it's certainly decent for what it is, and brings back some fun memories...

This one time at a bar in France called Latin Club (pronounced Lah-teen Cloob) I was eating a cheese pizza with arugala (latin food) and drinking a 7-up when all of the sudden I tasted a little tequila in my 7-up. I looked down at the bottle and noticed that it was brown rather than the usual green. I looked at the label…desparados? WTF? I looked around the joint and as some sort of New Kids like song started playing all these French and Arab kids starting dancing like Michel Stipes circa 1987. I couldn’t figure out why they were acting so ridiculous until I looked at their hands. Desarados everywhere. Everybody was drinking these things, even the Arabs and Arabs don’t drink. I suddenly realized that I was in the Twilight Zone so I got the F out of there and rinsed my mouth out with a tall boy can of Bavaria 8.0 that I bought off an Anarchist bum on the corner.

2.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Got this in Germany. I was getting a doener (similar to a gyro, only better), and saw this in the beverage case, figured what the heck, give it a try. Beer was a golden color with an okay head. Smell was almost citrusy and a smell of tequila. Taste had some honey to it and tequila to it. Mouthfeel, well, it was there, but it wasn't pleasant. Drinkability, sure, I was able to finish the bottle. It's not as terrible as it sounds but it's no where close to good.

1.96/5  rDev -16.2%

Desperados Tequila Beer: like many, I was intrigued to find it under the French listings at my local beer bistro. 'Intrigued', in this case, translates much better as 'baffled.' No matter. I had never heard of this beer before, and I was eager to see how tequila would make its appearance. I happen to really enjoy tequila, whether it is mixed, hastily-shot or slowly-sipped, so I was looking forward to this. Then I had a sip...

Single clear bottle poured into a small pint glass. Light golden in colour, a fizzy head that quickly recedes. Looks flat.

The nose is about as far away from beer as I've ever encountered. It consists entirely of three things: grape juice, sprite, lemonade. This smells (and tastes) like a shandy, but 30% beer and 70% lemonade/limeade. Tequila might be there, but it's minor.

Taste is more or less the same. Cloyingly sweet, Desperados tastes like a grape-lime sprite concoction that went awry. There is a bit of tequila here, but it's about as far removed from the quality fare of Cazadores, Patron or Don Agustin as you can get. Indeed, any whispers of tequila flavor are quickly hushed up, stamped out and blasted away by the oppressive sweetness of this beer.

Flat, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Every picture I've since seen of the beer online has a lime wedge or two in the glass, and I wonder: why? This thing already tastes like 50% lime cordial, why does it need more lime taste to it? A beer brewed with tequila should actually attempt to highlight the naturally dry, tangy flavors of tequila; this did nothing of the sort. I could hardly finish this; it took all of us at the table to drink it down. I can see why Mexico would want no part of this beer - this was terrible...

3.03/5  rDev +29.5%

330ml bottle. I've seen these six-packs around for a while, and for some silly reason, Tequila flavoured beer from France just seems like one massive marketing fart...but I'll have one at the bar, apparently.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber hue, with a copious amount of puffy, loosely foamy, and fizzy eggshell white head, which renders some nice crooked webbed lace around the glass as it consistently melts away.

It smells of slightly acrid lime juice, grainy pale malt, a bit of corn sweetness, and a mild herbal, Tequila-esque booziness. The taste is fairly authentic-seeming lime juice, pale and caramel malt, a bit of plain sugar (corn dextrose or the like), and a hovering twinge of that woody herbaceousness that I'll have to attribute to the Tequila additive.

The carbonation is pretty low-key, barely a tic to be found here, the body just a bit south of medium weight, and smooth enough, I suppose. It finishes off-dry, fruity (lime, natch), and well reminiscent of cheap margaritas.

Well, hardly the car wreck I was anticipating - this is actually not a bad tipple, the overall effect to me is that of a decent (I know) lime lager - the Tequila sure wasn't particularly evident, as I have a pretty strong aversion to that particular flavour. The best part about this whole deal is, however, the ingredients listed on the bottle: the first listed is "Beer." Well, no shit. A gimmick brew that doesn't fall flat, who'd a thunk it?

2.79/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Desperados Tequila flavored Beer
.33 L bottle
€3,50 @ Dos Pescados, Berlin, Germany

First off, is this beer made with Tequila or not? The packaging reads both "Tequila Flavored Beer" and "Flavoured with Tequila" - not necessarily the same thing. However their website clearly states "Desperados is a beer flavoured with Tequila". Somehow I think it's a "tequila" flavoring. And that there's some lime flavoring added as well.

With that said, it was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't think it tasted like Tequila mixed into beer. On the other hand, I've never mixed Tequila and beer so I can't really say. There was some odd "woodiness" to it, and the previously noted lime, but not what I'd call "Tequila". Maybe cheap Tequila...

Overall I'd have to say that this is just a gimmicky beverage that will run its course and disappear shortly. Of course you never know. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're like me and you just have to try it to see what it's like I can give the go ahead for that. You probably won't want a second one, but it is easy to drink and you won't have any trouble finishing it.

2.59/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 11.2 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a skunky aroma mixed with lime and tequila extract.
Appearance-A clear golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles, very small head.
Taste- Lime and tequila extract with some grain or corn. Not bad, but pretty sweet.
Palate- A light bodied beer that has moderate carbonation and a sweet aftertaste.
Overall- Not my type of beer, it could easily be a session beer for those who like this style.

The beginning deceives, because the taste that goes down the Adam's apple and is left in the mouth is very bad. Should be good for those who love tequila, but I was desperate after I took !!!

2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

How do I approach this one?

It's not really a beer, per se. More like a beer-tinged alcoholic soda. As such, it's a damn pain writing a review for this "beer" on this beer site. I'm going to take the less-popular route and review it as a drink rather than specifically as a beer. But thus, a caveat:

If you want a fine beer, this is not it.

That aside, it's a rather enjoyable drink, despite what some reviewers here might say. Just don't go in expecting a beer, because a beer is not what you will get.

It advertises itself as tequila-flavoured beer, but it's really more of a beer-flavored lime soda. It's very much an up-front taste, with something resembling a weak French lager as a base and a lime soda on top. There is no real nose to speak of; it's almost overwhelmed by the lime. The taste is actually rather decent -- not impressive or earth-shattering, but quite drinkable. It's far, far, far from the other D-averages around here, like Miller and Bud and Natty Light.

It also drinks like a soda, meaning it's watery and insubstantial, but also very drinkable. It's something you can sit and enjoy with a bud, but it's not something you'll remember as great.

Picked this up to try something new. It was not at all what I expected.

Smells like lemon, grass, and tequila.

Pours with zero head and has the mouth-feel of a malt beverage, like Smirnoff.

It is mild and grainy with a lot of lime, lemon, and tequila. I like tequila, but this is a little too sweet for me. Has a little woodiness in there but it doesn't linger.

Overall this is a definite pass.

Worst beer I've ever tasted.

2.19/5  rDev -6.4%

A-Colorful Latin-themed happy-can with image of seals along the top made to look like medals. Pours a light clear gold with white head. Decent retention, bits of tracing.

S-This reminds me of margarita or mojito flavored chewing gum. Yes, I know, mojitos have rum, but there's that strong artificial lime aroma that dominates. I'm craving nachos.

T-The kid in me says "I like the sweet fruity flavor," but the BA adult in me cries "who would drink this," and "what is this swill?!" But to speak ill of this beer is equivalent to self-defamation...I used to like this stuff a long time ago, but my tastes have changed. It is beer for kids. In fact, I recall a little kid, probably 4, finishing off the last bit of a bottle left on his parents' table once, setting it down, and saying, "Mmm, that's good!" Sweet, citrusy (lemon/lime), just a touch of hops in the finish. I think I taste tequila, but only because it reminds me of margarita mix out of a plastic jug dumped into Bud.

M-Moderate carbonation, light-bodied. Cloyingly sweet and borderline syrupy.

D-Like I said, I used to find these highly drinkable, but then I grew facial hair. Might go well with nachos and guacamole, but not better than a real margarita or a decent lager.

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

Yet another novelty beer I take it, from the same brewery that put out a Grand Marnier flavoured beer. This seems a bit desperate though...(ba-dum DUM!).

Came in a 3 bottle pack, clear bottle with enameled labelling, abv listed at 5.9%. Pours out a decent looking lager, clear and a light golden appearance, big splash of fuzzy white head that settles to a creamy thin cap. The aroma is a bit curious, some lime accompanied by boozy faux tequila, a bit more boozy than recognizable as distinctively tequila. Even a touch salty, or is that my mind playing tricks on me by this point?

The flavour starts out sweet, a bit of lime tartness, and then just disintergrates into a into an indiscriminate mess through the middle and well into the finish. Starts to taste like a stale Fresca after a very short while. Abrasive carbonation on the mouthfeel, it rips off a layer of cells from the palate along the way.

Beer imitating soda pop, that's all this stuff is.

1.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Well, what can I say?

Looked a bit sad and limp, very pale and sickly really.

Lemon sherbet aroma, not a beery smell to be found.

Tastes like a very sweet lager shandy, glad I couldn't find any tequila flavour.

The brewer/accountant who thought this was a seller was looking at the alco-pop market for kids, not serious beer drinkers.

Avoid this drink like you would the plague!

2.23/5  rDev -4.7%

The nose reminds a little lime and some strange and dubious Mexican condiments, the mouth is almost similar although the taste of beer, and that of tequila (although it is usually flavored with it), or completely absent. The finish is very sweet but the body seems very artificial and does not differ much in a simple lemonade somewhat boosted by a touch of alcohol.

1.84/5  rDev -21.4%

330ml bottle served into a Lager glass.Enjoyed?? in 1997.
Pours bright gold in color.Clear appearance.White crown & large bubbles.Surprising retention.Thick lacing too.On nose, citrics & hues of alcohol.Sweet at first sip develops a honey/sirupy tasting.A real alcoholic soda pop.Well, this is not a cocktail at all but artificial flavors & aromas indeed.Not refreshing at all.Light body,medium carbonation.Drinkability?? just a beverage to forget & avoid.Even if you like Tequila and/or beer, you must´n try this.

2.35/5  rDev +0.4%

A - Clear/pale gold with a decent sized white head that disappears fast.

S - Light, a lot of corn sweetness and lemon kind of smell. Maybe a hint of tequila (probably because I was searching for it).

T - Mostly a light lager type of taste with corn sweetness. A bit of lemon/lime citrus along with hints of tequila taste.

M - Light and high carbonation. Kind of watery but has a bit of a stickiness to it.

D - Has a weird sweetness and aftertaste (not cloying just weird). If it doesn't bother you, then it's drinkable. If you are like me and that doesn't sit right 1 maybe 2 if you are desperate would be enough for a night.

Notes: Is fairly reminiscent of a lemon/lime soda pop. Tequila isn't all that present, and I don't know if I would have detected any if I weren't looking for it. The weird lime sweetness is as bad as some of the American macro faux lime taste though.

2.2/5  rDev -6%

This beer was all over Germany when I was there it was popular in the clubs and in the one Mexican restaurant we had in Bamberg so when I recently saw this in a BeerStore in Canada I thought I would relive my youth. This stuff was better when I was drunk.

Appearance- Gold yellow with a quick head and a thin circle of lace. Very carbonated.

Smell- Very sweet more like tequila than beer. Fake lemon odor present too.

Taste- Malt Liquor, Tequila and lemon syrup like concoction. It was gross and the aftertaste was the gift that kept on giving.

Mouthfeel- Sticky but light and syrupy

Drinkability- Lessoned learded somethings from your past should be left alone.

1.76/5  rDev -24.8%

I had this in Paris with nachos and chips and salsa. Had seen it in a number of places, decided to give it a go. I think this is more of a warm weather beer, as it was cold out, and the tequila taste took me by surprise. I'm not a big fan of having things in my beer I usually chase with a beer.

Once I got used to the tequila it wasn't too bad, but not what my mouth was looking for when my eyes saw a nice cold beer. The tequila in the beer also hampers its ability to calm down the jalapenos on the nachos.

4.38/5  rDev +87.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Desperados is the reason why I try so many different beers - whether it's IPAs, PAs, lagers, wheat beers, fruit beers, or whatever - the anticipation that that next bottle getting cracked open is *the* beer is one of the reasons why I love beer. Desperados brought me that joy.

Appearance-wise it wasn't anything that started out overly impressive to me. Decent head, but no staying power. The smell though was the first hint that this was special. The perfectly mixed odor of tequila with the barley and malt was so sweet to the nose. The mouthfeel accentuated the smell - thick, crisp, and bold. The taste was what really blew me away - the lager flavor mixed oh so well with the tequila - I wish I had thought of this idea myself. Overall, it's a great beer - I am so glad I still quite a few of these left.

2.26/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle of 330 ml, poured just half a glass for the review and the rest drank from the bottle.

Golden yellow colour with a two finger thick head, with very good retention. Lots of bubbles in the glass.
Smell is of lemon/lime, like it has a soft drink in it. maybe too strong of a smell.
Flavour follows the aroma, with a strong lime taste and somewhere on the back you can taste the tequila.
Medium thickness on the body and very light carbonation.
I don't see myself drinking this one any time soon, since I don't use to mix my beer with any other alcoholic drinks. Maybe if I was 15 again and this one was really really cheap, I would prefer it.

2.83/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Review: Can of Desperados Beer: 5.9% ABV

As a fan of tequila, and straight (none of that salt and lime shite), anything that has the devils juice in it has my backing. So Desperadoes is an interesting brew alright, one definitely to try. With an ABV of just under 6% giving it an added incentive.

The appearance isn’t the best to be honest, pretty clear showing a golden orange colour with an initial decent frothy creamy head that dissipates quick enough. Some good lacing, but also dies soon after, looks like a lot of chemicals in this beer.

There is a very strong smell as you would expect ,very very sweet, like a fruit juice, mostly of citrus.

The taste has a very sweet and citrus taste to it, a bit tangy, tasting of lemon, lime and I guess Tequila. I say I guess because I’m not so sure of you can pick up the taste of the tequila. There is also an interesting deep sour aftertaste.

Having said all that I have to say the beer isn’t that bad. Once you get over the initial shock at all the sweet tastes, you do grow into it, and it does become a relatively smooth enough beer to drink. I think these beers would be a great accompaniment to a night on the town, perhaps have two or three to give you a little kick in your drinking during the night, or before you hit the clubs. Any more than that and I’m not sure how they would go down. I don’t think I could drink more than two or three to be honest. But overall its a good effort and I like the idea of Desperadoes. Have I found the taste of the tequila? Not sure, but then does it matter, the beer has a certain function which is to set you up for the party or the night, and this beer does that perfectly. A good party beer.

1.18/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

No interest at all. Commercial and awful beer. To be drank very cold otherwise not drinkable... (sorry to be so mean but this is not a beer...)

2.91/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Okay, not really a beer. But given the unique flavor profile I can't say it was bad.

3.64/5  rDev +55.6%

Taste like corona with tequila. Tried in London

Desperados from Heineken Nederland B.V.