Desperados - Heineken Nederland B.V.

DesperadosDesperados

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

American Pale Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Andreji on 04-23-2004)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

cam477

Newfoundland (Canada)

06-19-2014 01:18:49 | More by cam477
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

This one time at a bar in France called Latin Club (pronounced Lah-teen Cloob) I was eating a cheese pizza with arugala (latin food) and drinking a 7-up when all of the sudden I tasted a little tequila in my 7-up. I looked down at the bottle and noticed that it was brown rather than the usual green. I looked at the label…desparados? WTF? I looked around the joint and as some sort of New Kids like song started playing all these French and Arab kids starting dancing like Michel Stipes circa 1987. I couldn’t figure out why they were acting so ridiculous until I looked at their hands. Desarados everywhere. Everybody was drinking these things, even the Arabs and Arabs don’t drink. I suddenly realized that I was in the Twilight Zone so I got the F out of there and rinsed my mouth out with a tall boy can of Bavaria 8.0 that I bought off an Anarchist bum on the corner.

04-17-2006 02:11:00 | More by DaPeculierDane
petewheeler

Maryland

08-16-2014 20:49:54 | More by petewheeler
badbeer

Iowa

2.23/5  rDev -1.3%

Got this in Germany. I was getting a doener (similar to a gyro, only better), and saw this in the beverage case, figured what the heck, give it a try. Beer was a golden color with an okay head. Smell was almost citrusy and a smell of tequila. Taste had some honey to it and tequila to it. Mouthfeel, well, it was there, but it wasn't pleasant. Drinkability, sure, I was able to finish the bottle. It's not as terrible as it sounds but it's no where close to good.

12-30-2005 11:08:49 | More by badbeer
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

1.98/5  rDev -12.4%

Desperados Tequila Beer: like many, I was intrigued to find it under the French listings at my local beer bistro. 'Intrigued', in this case, translates much better as 'baffled.' No matter. I had never heard of this beer before, and I was eager to see how tequila would make its appearance. I happen to really enjoy tequila, whether it is mixed, hastily-shot or slowly-sipped, so I was looking forward to this. Then I had a sip...

Single clear bottle poured into a small pint glass. Light golden in colour, a fizzy head that quickly recedes. Looks flat.

The nose is about as far away from beer as I've ever encountered. It consists entirely of three things: grape juice, sprite, lemonade. This smells (and tastes) like a shandy, but 30% beer and 70% lemonade/limeade. Tequila might be there, but it's minor.

Taste is more or less the same. Cloyingly sweet, Desperados tastes like a grape-lime sprite concoction that went awry. There is a bit of tequila here, but it's about as far removed from the quality fare of Cazadores, Patron or Don Agustin as you can get. Indeed, any whispers of tequila flavor are quickly hushed up, stamped out and blasted away by the oppressive sweetness of this beer.

Flat, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Every picture I've since seen of the beer online has a lime wedge or two in the glass, and I wonder: why? This thing already tastes like 50% lime cordial, why does it need more lime taste to it? A beer brewed with tequila should actually attempt to highlight the naturally dry, tangy flavors of tequila; this did nothing of the sort. I could hardly finish this; it took all of us at the table to drink it down. I can see why Mexico would want no part of this beer - this was terrible...

03-28-2011 06:23:25 | More by JohnnyBarman

04-04-2013 01:39:41 | More by Beer21
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev +34.1%

330ml bottle. I've seen these six-packs around for a while, and for some silly reason, Tequila flavoured beer from France just seems like one massive marketing fart...but I'll have one at the bar, apparently.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber hue, with a copious amount of puffy, loosely foamy, and fizzy eggshell white head, which renders some nice crooked webbed lace around the glass as it consistently melts away.

It smells of slightly acrid lime juice, grainy pale malt, a bit of corn sweetness, and a mild herbal, Tequila-esque booziness. The taste is fairly authentic-seeming lime juice, pale and caramel malt, a bit of plain sugar (corn dextrose or the like), and a hovering twinge of that woody herbaceousness that I'll have to attribute to the Tequila additive.

The carbonation is pretty low-key, barely a tic to be found here, the body just a bit south of medium weight, and smooth enough, I suppose. It finishes off-dry, fruity (lime, natch), and well reminiscent of cheap margaritas.

Well, hardly the car wreck I was anticipating - this is actually not a bad tipple, the overall effect to me is that of a decent (I know) lime lager - the Tequila sure wasn't particularly evident, as I have a pretty strong aversion to that particular flavour. The best part about this whole deal is, however, the ingredients listed on the bottle: the first listed is "Beer." Well, no shit. A gimmick brew that doesn't fall flat, who'd a thunk it?

01-23-2010 22:55:30 | More by biboergosum

2.79/5  rDev +23.5%

Desperados Tequila flavored Beer
.33 L bottle
€3,50 @ Dos Pescados, Berlin, Germany

First off, is this beer made with Tequila or not? The packaging reads both "Tequila Flavored Beer" and "Flavoured with Tequila" - not necessarily the same thing. However their website clearly states "Desperados is a beer flavoured with Tequila". Somehow I think it's a "tequila" flavoring. And that there's some lime flavoring added as well.

With that said, it was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't think it tasted like Tequila mixed into beer. On the other hand, I've never mixed Tequila and beer so I can't really say. There was some odd "woodiness" to it, and the previously noted lime, but not what I'd call "Tequila". Maybe cheap Tequila...

Overall I'd have to say that this is just a gimmicky beverage that will run its course and disappear shortly. Of course you never know. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're like me and you just have to try it to see what it's like I can give the go ahead for that. You probably won't want a second one, but it is easy to drink and you won't have any trouble finishing it.

01-08-2014 01:11:20 | More by NeroFiddled

1.75/5  rDev -22.6%

07-18-2014 10:01:05 | More by RandyFlameThrower
Gamemako

2.85/5  rDev +26.1%

How do I approach this one?

It's not really a beer, per se. More like a beer-tinged alcoholic soda. As such, it's a damn pain writing a review for this "beer" on this beer site. I'm going to take the less-popular route and review it as a drink rather than specifically as a beer. But thus, a caveat:

If you want a fine beer, this is not it.

That aside, it's a rather enjoyable drink, despite what some reviewers here might say. Just don't go in expecting a beer, because a beer is not what you will get.

It advertises itself as tequila-flavoured beer, but it's really more of a beer-flavored lime soda. It's very much an up-front taste, with something resembling a weak French lager as a base and a lime soda on top. There is no real nose to speak of; it's almost overwhelmed by the lime. The taste is actually rather decent -- not impressive or earth-shattering, but quite drinkable. It's far, far, far from the other D-averages around here, like Miller and Bud and Natty Light.

It also drinks like a soda, meaning it's watery and insubstantial, but also very drinkable. It's something you can sit and enjoy with a bud, but it's not something you'll remember as great.

06-27-2008 14:45:01 | More by Gamemako
Desperados from Heineken Nederland B.V.