Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
1.18/5  rDev -49.8%

appearance-drank it out of hte bottle so who knows. likely yellow

smell- smells quite gross

taste-doesnt even taste like beer to me. tastes like horse piss mixed with mountain dew

feel-i dont even know. pretty much like water

overall-worst beer ive ever had. not even a get drunk beer cause theres under 3.5 percent so you gotta drink more to get drunk. very bad beer.

4.5/5  rDev +91.5%

Best light beer out there. People knock because of low alcohol content...maybe they don't understand what light means. Very crisp and clean. You can taste the hops...unadulterated and clean. Phenomenal light beer.

2.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Well. This is one of my least favorite light beers. The only reason I'm rating it so high is because it comes in the cool 5l mini kegs. If a better light beer came in them I wouldn't be drinking heineken light. Regular heineken is alittle better.

3.25/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's pretty bland and doesn't have much body. It tastes watered down, and what little taste it does have is funky. About 15 seconds after your sip, a light but sharp bitter aftertaste appears.

1.57/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice golden color, but has no head and highly carbonated like Pop. Not much smell, slight amount of adjuncts. Goes down extremely dry and tastes nothing like regular Heineken. Sad excuse for a beer, let alone a light lager.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

I'm actually going to take them up on their money back offer. Not only is it not the best light beer I've ever tasted, it's actually one of the worst. I'm not against the light beer style - these days I probably drink more light beer than anything else - so this low rating is all for the beer, not the style.

A: I like pale straw for lagers so this looks great to me. Looks a lot like the real Heineken, in fact.

S: Sweet and yeasty. It actually smells appealing.

T: Oh boy, awful. Just awful. Far, far hoppier than regular Heineken, and there's nothing beyond that. It's water and (Cascade) hops. It's bitter-forward with nothing in reserve, and the lemon detergent aftertaste is (mercifully) gone within seconds.

M: Carbonation is gone pretty shortly after pouring, then there's nothing beyond it.

O: This is neither a hoppy lager nor a light beer, flavor-wise. It's somewhere in the middle, and stranded in no-man's-land is exactly where it will stay. Ugh.

Basically, it's a low-calorie IPL and it's a really poor example of both light beer and hoppy lagers. It has none of Heineken's characteristic grainy-yeasty taste, replacing it with an anemic profile heavy on bitterness and little else.

Looking very much forward to getting my $8.69 back. I'd drink Natural Light over this if I wanted a light beer, no joke; and I'd drink pretty much any American craft lager over this if I wanted something hoppy and sessionable.

Sorry, Heineken - stick to what you're good at, and it ain't this.

2.48/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance : This one pours a crystal clear straw color, about 100% transparent here. Not much to the body as far as depth or color goes. The head is white, soapy, and settles at 1 finger. Not much lace left behind.

Aroma : This reminds me of an Italian or Czech lager. Very dirty aroma, with tons of grass, urine, and salt. Malt bill is heavy in the nose, with some hay, straw, spice, and hop trailing behind.

Flavor : Very very watery, some faint malt flavor, a pinch of hay dust, and the faintest ghost of a hop leaf waving goodbye as it rides down the throat. A little salt thrown in for good measure. I mean, it's easy to drink - it would be great on a hot day - but there's just not much to really criticize.

Mouthfeel : Almost nonexistent. Watery, lightly carbonated. Finishes slightly pasty.

Overall : Pretty much beer-flavored water for a hot day. There's not much here so I can't criticize much. I'd probably have it over a Bud Light or maybe even a Coors Light. But we're talking premium price here, so really it's not a good choice. At a party? Sure. At my house? Not a chance.

2.01/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz green bottle
A - pale golden body with a thinner white head
S - grassy, pale malt, slightly light struck
T - grassy hops, very mild malt presence, faint yeast, slightly light struck skunkiness
M - very thin and watery, crisp finish, but has that odd linger that light lagers seem to have (hard to describe)
O - someone left this at my house otherwise I'd never had bothered to buy it.

3.23/5  rDev +37.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy white head that falls moderately with scant lacing. Color is clear light golden with plenty of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: surprising amount of aroma for the style, sweet barley malt and even some grassy hops and the standard Heineken yeast.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a nice dry finish.

Flavor: a watery cousin of Heineken "heavy" with sweet barley and some mild hop bitterness

Overall: for a light beer, it is very good, one of the best in the category.

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%

Had in a can so the skunkiness is at a minimum. Tastes like sweet corn water with no finishing flavor. Super light. On a 100 degree day, I could get behind this beer as a hydrating liquid.

3.29/5  rDev +40%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned version: This is definitely better than any AAL light lagers, since it has a fuller taste and no corn and rice adjuncts. I like the ABV here because sometimes I don't want a 5% ABV lager.

3.5/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this beer is way overhated. people see "light" and assume the worst. this is actually better than heineken heavy, and a good representation of a german lager

3.5/5  rDev +48.9%

In all honesty, I can't tell much difference between this and regular Heineken and I like regular Heineken. Then again it has been a little while since I've had it so if I try it again, I may think differently, but it's honestly not THAT awful. For the price difference though, I'd rather go with Budweiser.

3.15/5  rDev +34%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lots of hate on here for this... But compared to other light beers, I actually like it. It's surprisingly crisp and clean. Probably mostly water haha. But not bad if you are driving!

4.5/5  rDev +91.5%

This is a great LIGHT beer and that is why I am giving it such a high score. If you have ever tried a lot of different light beers then you know this stuff is pretty friggin' awesome! It's not much different from an original Heineken just a tad bit lighter in taste. I love this beer because I can cut the calories and keep the taste.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Slight skunky smell but typical of what you'd expect from Heineken. Definitely better than the 56 overall rating though....tastes like slightly watered down Heineken. Typical light beer but good on a warm day playing golf.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear yellow with a tint of brown to it, darker than the other light lagers Ive rated lately, large white head, little bit of spotty lacing down the glass

S: Slight skunkyness

T: I get the bitterness of some hops up front, then a little of that skunkyness, clean dry finish

M: Watery but its a light

O: Not outstanding but one of the better light beers that I have had

Someone left a whole case of this swill on my back porch. One day I ran out of beer, I say beer cause Heineken light is NOT beer, anyway I ran out of real beer & had to drink one of these. I can not believe Heineken sells this junk. This is the worst beer I ever had, tastes like water with a 3. Abv? I compare this to boxed wine, it's horrible. No hope at all, no flavor at all, you might as well drink carbonated water because Heineken light is only carbonated water has no flavor no alcohol completely and absolutely the worst beer I ever drank in my life!!

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Funny story about this one. My wife and I were summer vacationing in Delaware. I'm a craft beer drinker she is not. Being that it was scorching hot, she wanted to buy a 12 pack of Heineken for the week because it was cheap. I reluctantly agreed. She went inside the store and mistakenly bought Heineken Light. (She must have been in a rush) When we got back home we noticed this and drove back to the liquor store to exchange it. The bad news was that in Delaware it is state law that all alcohol purchases are non refundable/exchangeable.Long story short, we got stuck with Heineken Light all week. What else to say about this beer? It is watery and devoid of flavor. Never again!

2.75/5  rDev +17%

Experienced in : US
Appealing to me : being a "light" beer
Less appealing to me : not so smooth taste for me

I am neutral on this beer.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%

Pours to a thin white head with minimal lacing. color is pale golden. Aroma is light grains and grassy hops. Flavor is a weak grain and hop concoction that finishes clean. Mouthfeel is light and effervescent. Not bad for a light beer.

2.66/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Found a stray bottle at a friend's house before going out last night.

Looks watery, yellow-ish clear, and bubbly.

Smells like absolutely nothing. Really.

The overriding taste here is kind of this skunky smokiness that can't be intended. It's weird, slightly off-putting, but not actually all that bad. It does get old exceedingly quickly, but luckily, this is so light, it goes down really fast.

It's light, and crisp, and goes down really easily.

This does suck quite a bit, but not as badly as I'd thought it would.

2.39/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Crystal clear light golden body with a white fuzzy head that recedes to nothing but a white ring. Light spots of lacing.

Aroma: Smells heavily of straw, sweet grains, slightly metallic.

Taste: Sour cabbage notes up front, followed by a very metallic body with some sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium weight, slightly dry.

Overall: Not as skunky as Heineken, not as watery as the low ABV suggests. Beer ingredients are masked by metallic notes.

This is a quality light lager. while AAL light lagers are very cheap and not really good, (Coors Light is the only one I'll drink) This one is just spectacular. I can smell hops. The taste is really hoppy too, and light. Not really light on flavor, as it still has plenty of hoppy flavor and a hint of malt. Don't know why this is rated so bad. This honestly i have had 5 with barbecue chicken, and i am not really drunk or full. 3.3% ABV makes this perfect for me. Perfect session beer. The reason i liked coors was the fact it was low in alcohol and didnt fill me up. this does the same thing while retaining a good amount of flavor. Would drink this a lot.

2.83/5  rDev +20.4%

12 oz. bottle with some sort of bottling code on the bottle. Aquire a single bottle of this stuff from my neighbors. Expectations aren't great, but for some reason I seem to enjoy this stuff.

Poured into a miniature Victorian carriage adorned pint glass.

A - It pours a pale, mostly clear straw yellow. About a finger of quickly dissipating white foam.

S - The smell is of sweetened corn / grains & huskiness.

T - Taste is the same. Sweetened grains / corn and huskiness. Nothing to brag about but it goes down quick and easy.

M - The feel is crisp, light, and clean. Easy drinking.

Overall, what it lacks in flavor it makes up for in drinkability. Not harsh, astringent, or offensive. And with a low 3.30% abv, this one makes a solid choice in the realm of shitty light lagers.

Heineken Light ---3/5.

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.