Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

awful

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros

This is a quality light lager. while AAL light lagers are very cheap and not really good, (Coors Light is the only one I'll drink) This one is just spectacular. I can smell hops. The taste is really hoppy too, and light. Not really light on flavor, as it still has plenty of hoppy flavor and a hint of malt. Don't know why this is rated so bad. This honestly i have had 5 with barbecue chicken, and i am not really drunk or full. 3.3% ABV makes this perfect for me. Perfect session beer. The reason i liked coors was the fact it was low in alcohol and didnt fill me up. this does the same thing while retaining a good amount of flavor. Would drink this a lot. (661 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +89.1%

This is a great LIGHT beer and that is why I am giving it such a high score. If you have ever tried a lot of different light beers then you know this stuff is pretty friggin' awesome! It's not much different from an original Heineken just a tad bit lighter in taste. I love this beer because I can cut the calories and keep the taste. (334 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +77.3%

I am a big fan of this beer. I have never really liked Heineken too much. A little too many hops and skunky taste for me. However, Heineken Light has that great smoothness and mouthfeel of Heineken, without the skunk taste. I definitely hitthis drink up at any Heineken event from now on. (288 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +74.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a very crisp looking clear golden color with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin, but nice lacing.

Smell - Has a pleasantly strong skunky aroma that pretty much dominates everything else. Grains and bread are the only other detectable aromas.

Taste - Not as skunky as the aroma but it's still good. Fairly sweet with a slight corn flavor, plus grains and bread. It has minimal bitterness from the hops.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.. Very crisp

Overall - Very easy to drink on. Would be great for the summer. (576 characters)

After reading the previous reviews on this beer it's obvious to me how many rookie beer drinkers we have registered here. This beer is obviously a EUROPEAN LIGHT beer. Unlike most of the fake mass produced American beers with light on the label and 4-5% Alc. European beers are also light on alcohol. This one is perfect for what it is brewed for. Not everyone is an alky that drinks to get drunk. I love this beer as I can drink several and enjoy them without waking up dying with a hangover. If your out to get drunk then by all means this is not your beer. If your looking for a great tasting easy to drink light beer that won't bloat you or scramble your brain, then this is the beer. I love it and I've drank more beers in more countries than the average American. I've also drank more beer than some small countries. Rather than read some punks review how about try it yourself and rate it honestly for what it is and not what you want it to be. Word! (957 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +62.6%

Appearance
Thick head that sticks around pretty well. After dissipating it leaves behind no real lacing. Clear pale yellow body with light carbonation.

Smell
Hops. The hop aroma is surprisingly pronounced. It smells like Cascade hops. Super faint malt smell is also there if you search for it.

Taste
Hops. Water. A little bit of malt. Very clean. Heineken Light has a stronger hop presence than regular Heineken. Regular Heineken has a pronounced malt flavor with a very mild dry bitter hop finish. Heineken Light is watery and very light on the malt flavor. To compensate it tastes like they actually upped the hops in Heineken Light, and the hop profile is different. The hops in Heineken Light are more floral in character. They are not very bitter. Tastes like Cascade hops. The finish is not as dry. This is a very watery beer with a surprisingly pleasant mild floral hop character.

Mouthfeel
Very light and watery.

Overall
For the style this beer is very good. It is watery, but what do you expect for 99 calories and 3.2% alcohol? This is a light style lager. If you want a stout or IPA then drink that instead. If you want a low abv light lager then this is pretty nice. I could drink this all day when fishing out in the hot sun. If you can get past the wateriness it is a good beer. (1,296 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +57.1%

This is one of the few light beers that I will actually drink. The beer is very very clear in color, almost colorless. The Smell is light and sweet, there is practically zero head when I poured into a glass. It is however very refreshing and great for social getherings. Serve well chilled, as the colder this ber is, the better it is. (335 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +52.9%

Ok people, read the label, This is a LIGHT BEER! Would you complain of a double IPA not having enough malt? Would you downgrade a wheat beer for not using enough hops? Of all the light beers out there this is one of the best. Although I rarely drink light beers, I think it's only fair to judge them for what they are. This tastes pretty much like regular Heineken, but with less taste. Big surprise. But it's very drinkable and has a lot more taste than most light beers other than maybe Sam Adams light and Amstel light. For a 99 calorie beer, I think it's very well done. (574 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +52.5%

I tried this beer last night only because I am trying to watch the waste line. I have to say, drinking a light beer is not worth the sacrafice to me. I need to find other ways to watch my calorie intake. This beer reminded me of a domestic beer. Bud light but a lil better, not much though. Great looking bottle! ;-)

Cheers. (327 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +51.3%

just an average drinkable beer. very very light, crisp taste. however you can taste that it is a quality made light beer. this sint a bud light we are talking about here. deep, complex taste no, cheap crap no. again would reccomend for dieters mainly. (251 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this beer is way overhated. people see "light" and assume the worst. this is actually better than heineken heavy, and a good representation of a german lager (159 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

In all honesty, I can't tell much difference between this and regular Heineken and I like regular Heineken. Then again it has been a little while since I've had it so if I try it again, I may think differently, but it's honestly not THAT awful. For the price difference though, I'd rather go with Budweiser. (309 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

When I popped the cap, I wasn't expecting much. It poured yellow as yellow can be, but had very good head retention, especially for a light lager! The smell was all malt and grain, but not offensive. The taste is the high part of this beer. I honestly think it is a more refined, cleaner version of the Heineken Lager. It actually tastes better than their trademark beer! Bottle is bit cooler too. Mouthfeel is very surprising for a light beer; in fact too good...something has got to be going on here...Drinkability you ask? Probably the best example of a light lager I've had yet. Props to Heineken. It doesn't have the hop strain that gets skunked, a different- not as stale tasting A-strain yeast, and just better all around than their other offering. (755 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +45.4%

As an avid homebrewer and drinker of many types of beer, I can honestly say that, for a Light beer, I find this to be very refreshing... especially on a hot summer day barbecuing in the backyard. I never was a big fan of Heineken unless I was getting them for 50 cents a bottle in Las Vegas, but I must say that I can easily put a few of these down. This is a decent Light beer, and cost me $6.49/6 at Total Wine. I'm about to go get another one after writing this review! I guess the key word here is "refreshing'. It all comes down to what you are in the mood for. If you're having some company over for the day go out and buy a case or two of this brew and drop it in a large bucket of ice. I'm sure nobody will complain. (724 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +45.4%

Served in green tall bottle. Pours pale straw, with quickly dissappering head. Thin lace clings to side of glass as it is drunk.

Smooth and easy drinking with only slight trace of bitterness that regular Heineken is known for. Lightly carbonated with slight bitter finish. Slightly astringent with minimal trace of corn and other adjuncts.

Not a great beer, but a good alternative to other flavorless or overly adjuncted light beers out there. (449 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good for a lighter beer. I think it is a little too heavily carbonated, and seems a little like an alcoholic sprite. The carbonation definitely overrides any truly distinctive flavor in the beer. Despite this, i do think heineken is more refreshing than most beers, and i never turn one down (298 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +43.7%

This is a decent macro. If I am at a bar and I want to pound something, Id prefer this beer to bud light. It has a decent aroma compared to heineken. It has a pale yellow color. Good flavor for a macro light beer. Its drinkability is comparable to water. A good beer for getting wasted on. (289 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +40.8%

Had this for the first time tonight. Pale, yellow look with an ok head. A malty kind of smell; reminded me of a pilsner. Tasted malty at first but then tasted more like a macro beer. A light mouthfeel; tasted like all the other light beers (Coors light, Millier lite, etc.) Pretty drinkable beer; could drink it all night if you wanted to (my friends seemed to enjoy it). But, I would stick to the domestic light beers; they taste the same and don't cost as much. (463 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned version: This is definitely better than any AAL light lagers, since it has a fuller taste and no corn and rice adjuncts. I like the ABV here because sometimes I don't want a 5% ABV lager. (195 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled tonight on 3/30/14 while doing some grillin' and chillin' on the upper patio deck. Don't recall ever drinking one of these, though had the regular Heineken many times over the years.

Pours pale yellow in color with a 1-finger frizzy white head that didn't last long. Some light spotty lacing was seen with each sip, but not much. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom and sides of the glass due to the above average carbonation. The aroma is close to their regular Heineken, which is slightly 'skunky' as is like most brews in green bottles. (Right Mario Esposito?) , which is of grains with a hint of sweet corn. Not much else. The taste like just like a watered-down Heineken but actually not as heavily-bodied as a regular Heiny. (742 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +37.4%

12 ounce bottle from a local market

Just like normal Heineken except a whole lot lighter

Pours even more golden with a thinner white head that vanishes simultaneously

Could drink a serious amount of these if you were thirsty, very light to say the least (256 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +36.6%

Sorry to those before me who apparently rated this beer against obviously better-quality beers or got skunks of this one, but for its purpose as an uber-light beer on a hot summer day that's not overly filling or hoppy, this was great.

I was at an outdoor party over the weekend, and somehow ended up with this one. It seemed the better choice when I went back for more, since there wasn't much water available and I didn't want to be all bloated. I just wanted some nice non-offensive enjoying bubbly with real beer taste that wasn't US-macro-beer carbonated or too filling. Other choices included beers like Newcastle (usually love it), several Abita's and some others. I'd spent the night before, knocking back liters of Erdingen Helles on-tap at another party.

A= didn't pour since we only had bottles but others did into plastic cups, rather typical light-yellow with little head.

S= first sniff told me that at least it wasn't skunked like many years of previous Heineken's!

T= yes definitely light on character but still enough malt and hops taste in appropriate balance with the carbonation. Nothing offsetting here at all. Hopefully you don't get a skunk-- but that's not the beer problem, it's the storage temperature variances.

M= for what I wanted-- lightweight and thirst-quenching, great!

D= after drinking it all day and night, I was actually upset when they ran out-- definite hot-weather lightweight session beer. (1,436 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy white head that falls moderately with scant lacing. Color is clear light golden with plenty of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: surprising amount of aroma for the style, sweet barley malt and even some grassy hops and the standard Heineken yeast.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a nice dry finish.

Flavor: a watery cousin of Heineken "heavy" with sweet barley and some mild hop bitterness

Overall: for a light beer, it is very good, one of the best in the category. (541 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +34.5%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit skunky, some malts. Taste is crisp, malts and slightly sweet. Feels light in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is not a bad selection at all as far as light beers go. (277 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesn't taste like Heineken. Fairly bland lager taste. The mouthfeel is richer than most light beers I have tried. I certainly wouldn't look for if, but it is about on par with Miller Lite, if you are out there with a very limited selection of watery, bland beers. Appearance is less than average, the ubiquitous yellow lager color, small head that fades quickly, little smell, almost no lacing. I would like to try one without the cryogenically frosted beer mug I was given, but I'm sure the flavor would not be that much better in a non-frosted glass. Ok for a session if you are counting calories and there is nothing memorable to tempt you with. (649 characters)

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.