Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

awful

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
2.36/5  rDev -0.8%

Grabbed a 5l keg to try out my new kegerator. After working out some kinks, same old lame heineken light taste.

Pours light golden, yellow, with significant bubbling. Head is bright white - this looks like a fairly flavorless light beer, but definitely more golden than Coors Light. Nose exhibits flat beer - and is very unattractive.

Taste is light pilsener. Nothing special, pretty bubbly, mostly like flavored water. Very light on the mouth. Overall a fairly average/below average light beer. (497 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving type: From the bottle to the judging tables (my mouth).

A: Couldn't tell you much. Drank this from the bottle. It's a traditional Heineken green bottle. The text is labeled differently from the regular bottle.

S: Smelled like sour grapes. Not sure why... it also tasted like sour grapes but we'll get to that in a bit...

T: So yeah, about those sour grapes... I'm not sure why I picked up sour grapes. I felt like I was sipping on a wine cooler at one point. It had a fruity, and sweet taste. It was followed up by a bitter taste from the hops to confirm it was indeed a beer. Very unexpected. I suspect that these bottles were sitting in the back of the fridge for awhile. They were at a family function where wine and booze are the primary beverages and the host keeps "backup" beer in the back of the fridge.

M: For a light beer, this had a pretty tolerable amount of carbonation. I was not overwhelmed and it was not a total waste of my taste buds. Went down and stayed down, that's all I cared about for the time being.

Overall: I am not a light beer drinker. This is what was offered. I did not particularly enjoy this but a light beer is a light beer. No damage done. I'd certainly reach for this beer over the mainstream light beers. (1,257 characters)

So why does Henie need a light version? I dunno. This is basically Heineken cut with (more) water. Everything is diluted. Appearance, even more straw yellow, more white head, disappears even faster. Aroma, less skunky, but I liked the skunk.

Taste, less skunky, but I buy Heineken when I wants me some skunk. In the words of the Circle Jerks, "I just want some skunk." Well, close enough. Anyways, the water downplays the zestiness, even the carbonation. I can imagine the making of a Heineken light 12 pack.

Take Heineken 6 pack. Add equal parts water to the beer. Voila! 12 pack of Heinecken light. (603 characters)

2.52/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Beer pours a clear and very yellow, looks like light beer.... about a finger worth of head after a hard pour that dissipated very quickly. No lacing. Smell was grainy and skunky... not much good here. Smells like Euro light beer. Taste is just like the smell... corny and grainy, but oddly the shunkiness is not here... Tastes like average Euro Light. Mouthfeel is crisp, but nor as carbonated as I was expecting. Pretty average. Overall it is not the worst Euro Light I've ever had.... but not worth running after... Decent (524 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -9.7%

pours a super clear pale yellow / light gold tone while yielding a short lived fizzy white head, maybe a finger of which.

nose offers some grainy and floral hoppy notes. not impressive by any stretch of the imagination but i've certainly smelled a lot worse. not exactly a ringing endorsement, nor is it mean to be.

flavor is worse. tastes just like a watered down heineken... i supposed that shouldn't come as a great surprise. muted grainy notes with a speck of hops in the background, but just highly 'meh'. light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

over, as light beer beer goes this is okay, which is not saying much at all. it doesn't trigger the gag reflex or anything but i can't think of a good enough reason for ever drinking it again. (755 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -48.7%

The beer poured a clear, more so golden than straw color with a frothy, thick white head that retained fairly well.

It smelled like regular Heineken (pale malts, light hops, etc.), but was very skunky and off-putting. Although the aroma was very light, there was a nose full of stale/skunked malts and water. It was almost sickening.

For the taste, it was almost unbearable. It tasted much like the aroma- skunked malts and stale hops with carbonated water.

I hope that keg was old, because if it was fresh, then may God have mercy on the brewers who made this garbage. I believe this is the first beer I've ever had that I simply could not finish nor find anything positive about. (687 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -3.8%

I think there's some sort of canning/date code on the bottom of the can, but I can't decipher it. I'm curious to taste the "special Heineken horizontal fermentation method." Interesting that the can includes calories/carbs/protein/fat info... I thought that was illegal in this country?

This pours very light, very clear, and the head starts out pretty good: rolling hills of fluffy near-pure-white. But that disappears pretty quickly and leaves next to nothing. It's really hard to identify a smell, but that's better than a bad smell. Taste is exceedingly watery. Thankfully it contains nothing of the obligatory skunkiness found in regular Heineken. Tastes a little flat. Would probably be better ice-cold.

At the end of the day, it's not good, but it's not offensive either. I've had worse. (796 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a bright yellow color with a small white foam head with minimal retention. There is some very spotty lacing.

S: Skunk, light toasted white bread, crackers and grassy hops.

T: From start to finish this beer has the same taste. There is some light crackers, toasted white bread and some skunk.

M: Was expected a slightly cleaner taste, but the skunked flavor is the lasting taste on the palate. Light and thin.

O: Not a light lager that I would reach for. Lacks in taste and the skunk flavor is too overpowering. (525 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer pours a copper color, with actually a larger head. The smell can only be described as a skunk spraying, just horrible. The taste is light, a tad matly, just a little bit of a skunk flavor. It actually isnt too difficult to drink, and its a bit heavier for a light beer. Overall for a light beer, this so far takes the cake, much better then other light lagers, I could actually go for another. (403 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a clear straw color from a 16 oz can.
Two finger foamy head that dissipates slowly.
Aroma is malty with hints of grass and some sweet sugars.
Taste is very watery, almost bland.
Part of an elite group of beers that might actually make me quit drinking beers. (265 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured a 2" head which recedes medium quick. Clear light straw yellow in color. Smells with hints of skunking and wee little grass and malt. Taste is watery but a touch sweet and a hint of malt. Finish is light and disappears fast. So folks, why is this such a huge seller? It's because it's so watery and inoffensive you'd give it to your children were it not for having alcohol content. (388 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +45.4%

As an avid homebrewer and drinker of many types of beer, I can honestly say that, for a Light beer, I find this to be very refreshing... especially on a hot summer day barbecuing in the backyard. I never was a big fan of Heineken unless I was getting them for 50 cents a bottle in Las Vegas, but I must say that I can easily put a few of these down. This is a decent Light beer, and cost me $6.49/6 at Total Wine. I'm about to go get another one after writing this review! I guess the key word here is "refreshing'. It all comes down to what you are in the mood for. If you're having some company over for the day go out and buy a case or two of this brew and drop it in a large bucket of ice. I'm sure nobody will complain. (724 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: 1 inch head, pale yellow in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: weak combo of straw and adjunct malt

Taste: light straw and grain..maybe some bark

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, watery,sweet but the taste is really faint

Overall: I have nothing against light beers, but this one really does taste like water. Refreshing yes, but not what I am going to go for when I want a beer. Still sadly better then the original version. (446 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Heineken Premium Light has a thick, white head and a clear, pale straw appearance with a fair amount of bubbles streaming up. Surprisingly, some decent lacing is left behind. The aroma is initially skunky and then faint barley takes over, and that's it. Taste is water, water everywhere, with some mild barley notes- that's it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Heineken Premium Light finishes crisp, refreshing (like water), and pretty dry. Overall, water is cheaper, so go with that. Heineken is good; this ain't.

RJT (521 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -29.4%

12 oz green bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
Calories 99, Carbs 6.8 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 0 g, 0219528H1131.

A - I'm hard-pressed to think of a more pale beer than this. This brew is crystal clear with a billowing white head. Nice retention and incredibly solid lace adorns the glass.

S - I poured this one my desk two feet from my face and the second the beer hit the glass it smelled like a skunk ripped ass in my room. Like, true, honest-to-God skunk. This beer defines skunk aroma. Besides that, there is a sliver of pale malt, but not much.

T - And here I thought Sol (my previous review) had no flavor. If you don't inhale through your nose while sipping, this has no flavor what-so-ever. Actually, I lie. There is a microscopic hint of corn.

M - Thin, light-bodied, and smooth with a refreshing water-like finish. Low carbonation and a touch on the dry side.

O - My friend from the Netherlands would be pissed to see this review, but thankfully he's not on BA. Seriously though, Miller 64 has more flavor than this. I could put these down before, during, and after a marathon. You could also use this to hydrate after a long day of drinking...or mask your scent while hunting. I will hand it to Heineken though, they do a fantastic job on marketing and design. (1,273 characters)

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy. The taste is the same as the nose. Light Body. Again another lame attempt for a beer. What a waste of a bottle. (251 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -18.9%

This brew was one of my early beers I had, I actually stole a bottom from a friends parents fridge hoping they wouldn't notice. As far as I know they never noticed. Anyway the beer was decent at the time but since then I've had much better. The beer looks much like regular Heineken and smells the too. the taste is just a little more watered down. (348 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +5.5%

Straight out of the 12 ounce bottle and into a pint glass.

A - Has the typical pale yellow body with a frothy white head that has little to no retention.

S - To me, I found it to be less skunky than other Heinies I've had. I doubt that can be attributed to this being the light model, but I thought I'd mention it.

T - Lemon and corn husks are dominant. Skunkiness is so minimal that it actually works here. Typical off putting metallicness.

M - Crisp and refreshing. It's light bodied and nicely carbonated.

D - Fairly drinkable and not offensive in any way. As a direct comparison, I much preferred the now defunct Rock Green Light. (643 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost clear piss coloured yellow hints. Lots of carbonation but very little head. Served ice cold. Smells like nothing. Maybe a touch of some malts but really not much. Tastes like water with some light maltiness but not much. Okay mouthfeel. Overly carbonated for my tastes. But fairly drinkable as a light lager (320 characters)

Again had this at a cocktail hour last night with little to choose from. Hey, why not try it and give it a chance.

Yellow and fizzy for sure. Not much nose, other than a bitter smell coming from it. Hard to detect much when you don't like the smell.

Taste was just about as bad. Bitter, grainy taste with little else. Light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

This is a good dollar beer night beer. Couldn't wait to get home and get something hoppy with a little flavor to it! (480 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +27.3%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick fizzy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pilsner malt and German hop scent. It's light and watered down; like a weaker version of the original. The taste is average as well. It has a light, pilsner malt flavor with a touch of hops and a dry finish. It's easy drinking and attractive to people who like light beers. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a average light lager. It's quaffable, yet devoid of much malt character. (557 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -44.1%

Big fail! Just as skunky and terrible tasting as regular heineken just more watery.

A- Light pale yellow with fizzy foamy head that fades fast and leave no lace.

S- Big skunk with hints of corn, rice, and faint musty, earthy hops.

T- Sweet corn and malt overpowered with must, skunk, and bitter grapefruit. Nasty.

M- Light, crisp, refreshing, watery

D- I can't drink it at all. Poured it down the drain. (408 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -5%

12oz can.

Very clear light yellow with almost no head at all, nose is bland, corn and alcohol.

Taste is also very bland, dry and boring. Mouthfeel is very light and dry, it's easy drinking for a buzz but not a good beer at all. It's got such a low abv though it's hardly even worth drinking. (293 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz into 8oz tasting chalice.
A: For the style this looks to be spot on. Light, clear body that shows a good stream of carbonation, while the one pitfall is the lack of head retention. White foamy head is most likely only there from vigorous pour.
S: A weak aroma, of corn and a bit of the classic Heineken skunk. On the bland side of these flavor profiles.
T/M: The front is a cold and crisp mouthfeel, that does really not put off flavor until there is a wash down, then up come the skunk and mold like bready note. Not a balanced beer, nor the presence of hops or malt.
D: This is a great brew to drink if you are looking to pound a case and have to use the bathroom every other beer, other wise for this light lager style, there are many domestic and imports that rise high above. (785 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +12.2%

Yes, for my 599th review I am reviewing Heineken Light. Hey, I've never had one!

I'm going to pour it into a GI Matilda glass just for kicks. Nice extremely clear white-gold body, but poor foam formation and retention.

Like most light lagers, there's not a whole lot of aroma, but what is there isn't terrible. I pick up a faint hint of noble hop and caramel.

Also like most light lagers, there isn't a lot of taste. However, it is very clean; I'm not getting the off flavors I would with some of the BMC light lagers, even when it warms a little. Basically, it tastes like cereal grain soda. Which is actually better than some of these other light beers.

Has the same harsh, burpy feel I get with other light beers.

I like this better than other light beers, but ultimately I could still only drink one of these. (822 characters)

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.