Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

awful

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
mynie

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A much more decent pour than I had expected. It may have been the low light of the restaruant, but it was actually a decent dark gold with a big, but short-lived, head.

Smells very light. Selzer water and a hint of pils grain.

Tastes a lot stronger than the smell. Mostly like adjunct grain and boiled veggies. Kind of like the old Rolling Rock, only lighter and with an aftertaste of water.

This was a lot better than I thought it would be, but it still wasn't worth it. Inoffensive, if nothing else.

08-21-2006 03:55:24 | More by mynie
Suds

1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

I had this one with a group of guys following a round of golf. It wouldn’t have been my choice, but it was all that was being served. It serves up about what is expected from a light beer. It sports a pale straw color with a fizzy head. The aroma is almost nonexistent, with only a faint whiff of grassiness and hops. There’s virtually no flavor, and the beer is exceptionally dry. Watery body and empty finish. This beer is simply forgettable.

08-12-2006 23:45:54 | More by Suds
MusicmanSD

3.53/5  rDev +52.2%

When I popped the cap, I wasn't expecting much. It poured yellow as yellow can be, but had very good head retention, especially for a light lager! The smell was all malt and grain, but not offensive. The taste is the high part of this beer. I honestly think it is a more refined, cleaner version of the Heineken Lager. It actually tastes better than their trademark beer! Bottle is bit cooler too. Mouthfeel is very surprising for a light beer; in fact too good...something has got to be going on here...Drinkability you ask? Probably the best example of a light lager I've had yet. Props to Heineken. It doesn't have the hop strain that gets skunked, a different- not as stale tasting A-strain yeast, and just better all around than their other offering.

08-04-2006 19:53:23 | More by MusicmanSD
jwc215

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

This was featured at a restaurant I recently went to because it was a new item. I had never had it, and was curious as to how close it would be to Heineken, so I figured I would give it a shot...

Poured very light - almost clear - yellow - with virtually no head.

The smell was almost nothing, except for a slight starch aroma that was uninviting to say the least.

The taste was overwhelmingly watery - ridiculously so, even for the style. The slight taste that was present was mainly of some subdued adjuncts that were odd-tasting.

This was very similar to bad tap-water - no real "beer" flavor.
It was as drinkable as below-average tap water - watered-down more than most of its style. I can't see the point of drinking this, except if it is someone who does not like beer, but wants to order a beer for social reasons. If you like beer - don't bother...

08-02-2006 15:20:12 | More by jwc215
tugdriver7

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

Someone brought these to a party recently. At the end of the night (after all the "good" beers were gone) I decided to give it a try. Pleasantly surprised. I'm not a big fan of Heineken anyway; but this wasn't too bad. It had a nice color (pale yellow) in the glass and a rich head that seemed to last forever. Not much in the smell department (I was expecting "skunk" and got none of that) but the taste was surprisingly good (mild, of course, since this is a Heineken afterall). Reminded me of a "beer flavored beverage," instead of real beer itself. But it was almost as good as Amstel, though not as true to traditional flavor as Beck's Premier Light. Still, not a bad party beer--and the lower ABV means you can drink more of them.

07-31-2006 02:42:35 | More by tugdriver7
Pegasus

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Sharply clear, golden color, with a small white head, which soon collapses to a dusting of foam and a small collar, with scattered broken lace, and a few streams of small, slow-rising bubbles.

Aroma: A faint skunk, with some vegetal notes, a little mildly tart pale malt, and faint hops.

Taste: Opens with a crisp, dry note of alcohol, tart malt, and some faint hops. Finishes with a mild, lingering herbal bitterness. In all, inoffensive, but quite insubstantial.

Mouth feel: Very thin, with sharp, stinging, sparkling water carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Inoffensive, mostly due to a lack of character, really not much more than sparkling water. My fiancée’s remark was telling "Ugh, Miller Light". I would like to say that this is a lawnmower beer, but it would have to improve significantly for that.

Presentation: Packaged in a tall, narrow green glass bottle, which is taller and thinner than the standard Heineken bottle. Perhaps this is a bit of visual psychology for the weight-conscious. Served in a Pilsener glass.

07-16-2006 15:13:29 | More by Pegasus
Drew966

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Heineken Premium Light Lager pours a golden color with a thick white head from a green twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is skunky and corn dominated. Very light flavor, corn toward the end. Nothing to particularly recommend this over any other light swill.

07-13-2006 21:50:34 | More by Drew966
k75

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

bottle

pours watery and , well - light

head of large soapy bubbles dissipates very quickly

flavor is not enjoyable . Has just a hint of its parentage -

finish is just bad - skunk, medicinal and leaving husky grains behind

drain pour material

not recommended

07-06-2006 16:19:34 | More by k75
HoustonTX

1.43/5  rDev -38.4%

A - Yellow, slight head, heavy carbonation.

S - Smell is of malt and water.

T/M - One of the most awful light beers, could not even finish the 12oz bottle. Taste was of water, and a harsh skunky stale malt bite. Astringent and unapealling. Mouthfeel, was terrible.

D - Don't even waste your money on these.

Please, do yourself a favor and don't even try this.

06-28-2006 22:24:26 | More by HoustonTX
RoyalT

1.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance – This stinker came out of the lovely green bottle a solid yellow in color with a nice white head that actually left some lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – The skunk was in full effect here just like it was for Daddy Heiny. The putrid smell of rotten grain and moldy Pixie Stix filled the room instantly.

Taste – Oh, this is gross. I can kind of taste some grain but other than that it’s like licking a skunk’s asshole after he just inhaled two giant been burritos and a dead goldfish.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with a disappointing carbonated fizzle.

Sinkability – This was a very sinkable beer.

06-26-2006 01:20:29 | More by RoyalT
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.33/5  rDev +0.4%

Okay here we go a brew that is a light version of Heine is that possible well let's just say I'm not sure. Appears a light golden pale hue with a bright white head leaves behind nice scattered lacing. Aroma has more skunky Euro hops sorry folks those are the facts on this beer they promote a nice skuny grassy hop character with a minimal citrus profile just enjoy and now your enjoying something high end, right? Taste has lighter crisp version of Heineken I could see this going over here with crisp hop character it finishes a tad bitter for American flavor but it's actually not that bad grassy citrus hop profile with light creamy biscuit malt tones go figure. Mouthfeel as the label reveals it's light bodied higher artificial carbonation not the end of the world. Drinkability well not that bad I could crave this in another life possibly, but once again pretty unoffensive what can I say.

06-22-2006 03:24:31 | More by WVbeergeek
LarryV

2.9/5  rDev +25%

Pours a pale golden color without much of a head. Brisk carbonation stings the tongue a bit. The aroma was very faint, mostly grain, however I did not detect any skunkiness in the taste or the aroma which I found surprising actually - I was expecting it.

Taste is very clean, very crisp with a thin mouthfeel. Almost like drinking grain flavored water. Virtually no lingering after taste. I suppose the Heineken drinker who is looking for something light would like this. This bottle was left at my house, and I can't see myself ever buying it as I like fuller flavored beers. But if someone is looking for a brew that is clean and crisp, leaves no lingering taste on the palate, then this is probably it.

06-19-2006 20:42:12 | More by LarryV
rabsten

West Virginia

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle into a pilsner glass, light yellow colour (hey, it's European). Overcarbonated, yet a thin white head; no lacing.

S: Watered down Heineken. There's a trace of a scent there, but not much of one.

Taste: Ditto. See above; substitute "taste" for "scent."

Mouthfeel: "Did I miss my mouth?" Watery, no body.

Low drinkability. Below water.

Another of the green-bottled Euro-lager attempts at a light beer. See: Beck's Light. Thanks for my brother for hooking me up with this one for free; 'cause if I'd paid for it, I'd feel really bad right now.

Avoid.

06-19-2006 17:22:04 | More by rabsten
waughbrew

1.6/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

[free bottle abandoned at my house after a party. What, you thought I bought this?]

Actually looked pretty good when I poured it - light creamy white head even laced a bit. The body was very very light gold with a torrent of bubbles heading toward the top. They must be trying to escape from the beer. Smells pretty foul - old broccoli and corn with chemical-laden artificial butter on top. Very very light, airy texture isn't offensive, but lacks substance. Wet air, MJ? The flavor certainly lacks substance as well - I think one limp little hop leaf made it into this bottle and tries to assert itself the best it can, but the vague weak pilsmalt-sugar-water solution still overpowers it. Again, the only thing really offensive about this beer is the aroma. Everything else is just empty.

In the end, all I can think of is the oft-morphed joke "What does sex in a canoe and (insert macro beer here) have in common?"

Beermail me for the punchline if you have never heard that one.

06-18-2006 21:57:49 | More by waughbrew
AChamberlain

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

I guess it depends on what you are looking for:

If you want a Heineken, but something a little lighter, this is it. Obviously, but what I mean is they did a great job of keeping the distinct Heineken flavor and mouthfeel. It is "lighter" and a bit skunkier than it's counterpart.

If you are looking for a tasty light beer, I would suggest you go somewhere else.

I feel this beer is only for Heineken fans.

06-13-2006 18:50:45 | More by AChamberlain
Walsar

1.55/5  rDev -33.2%

I was not impressed with this brew -- watery taste with a slight skunk aroma -- I enjoy a nice fresh cold Heinekin in the bottle and on draft -- this did not compare favorably.

I would not purchase again.

I purchased a sixer of this beer at the local convenient market based on the slick advertising that I had seen -- bad idea.

Overall a waste of 10 bucks --

06-12-2006 01:22:26 | More by Walsar
Imstillthegman

Delaware

1.9/5  rDev -18.1%

A buddy of mine stopped by with a sixer of this so I figured I would give it a shot. Not much smell or taste to it. Very bland. A bit corny and skunky...kinda like bad city water in some places I've been. Too carbonated for my liking. I could only finish one and won't be having another. If I want a light beer I'll grab a SA light instead.

05-28-2006 14:26:46 | More by Imstillthegman
matracy68

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

I enjoy the full version of Heineken but the light just isn't all that good. If you are into a watered down beer, this may be the thing for you. I would say that it is a lot like a Coors Light. They have some really good commercials on TV but I did not like my sample that I tatsed at the World Beer Festival in Raleigh, NC April 2006. If you like Heineken, stick with the regular and skip the premium light.

05-27-2006 15:12:05 | More by matracy68
JayQue

3.25/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesn't taste like Heineken. Fairly bland lager taste. The mouthfeel is richer than most light beers I have tried. I certainly wouldn't look for if, but it is about on par with Miller Lite, if you are out there with a very limited selection of watery, bland beers. Appearance is less than average, the ubiquitous yellow lager color, small head that fades quickly, little smell, almost no lacing. I would like to try one without the cryogenically frosted beer mug I was given, but I'm sure the flavor would not be that much better in a non-frosted glass. Ok for a session if you are counting calories and there is nothing memorable to tempt you with.

05-19-2006 17:27:39 | More by JayQue
granger10

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Had this from some family who came with it. Pours increadibly light colored and a small fizzy head that really fades quickly. Not really too carbonated. Smell has that floral medicinal quality I associate with regular Heineken but its fainter. Taste is also similar but fainter. Malt is really lacking and there is no sweetness or carbonation to give this beer life. Finish has a slight hoppiness but that's about it. Unfortunate that some people buy this.

05-13-2006 22:38:55 | More by granger10
ski271

2.25/5  rDev -3%

Medium-pale straw with a small, foamy, white head that very quickly diminishes to a thin film. Smells of stinky grain, very mild hops and some light doughy yeast. The taste isn’t as terrible as I expected at first. Light, refreshing, and easy-drinking like a light beer should be, but the finish is not so good. Too much carbonation for my liking too.
There. I tried it. No thanks. On the rare occasion that I’m in the mood for a light beer, I will NOT be picking up anymore of this. There are far better light beers out there, most of which cost less too.

04-26-2006 13:57:25 | More by ski271
PBRstreetgang

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours pale straw with crystal clarity. Dense, foamy head of two and a half fingers shows good retention and leaves nice sticky lacing. Light aroma of cereal adjuncts and pale malt, but skunked hops dominate. The taste is sweet and corny with a pale malt flavor trying to pull through. A pleasently mild euro hop flavor comes through in the aftertaste, but this overcompensation for a lack of malt flavor puts the flavor out of balance. Smooth, light body with even carbonation. That distinctive "skunk" taste is the only real character in this beer, so the drinkability is good if you're fond of that light-struck flavor.

04-24-2006 04:18:07 | More by PBRstreetgang
harpo111

Georgia

2.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Friend brought some of these over to watch a movie the other night.
Was thinking...heiney..bitter, skunky...green..beer.
Heiney light was to me actually no better.
appearance: poured straw yellow..white head that left early
aroma: a little grainy...not as skuny as regular heiney
taste: not much...a little bitter and grain...but not enought really say i am hops hear me roar..carbonation was fizzy.
mouthfeel: watery...like setzler water
drinkablility: easy to drink..but not really satisfying..might work on a hot day...but i will pass..

Overall...a marco larger aimed at the college crowd who think the green bottle is cool....i'll pass unless it is free.

04-22-2006 13:02:08 | More by harpo111
battlekow

1.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Apparently, Heineken hasn't introduced a new beer in 131 years, and it took them 18 to come up with this little number. Hold onto that thought for a minute.

Heineken Light smells exactly like a skunk. Exactly. We're talking essence of roadkill here. It's almost interesting how bad this beer smells. If you enjoy the smell of burning tires, Heineken Light is the beer for you. Sorry it took so long.

The taste is more of the same, albeit to a lesser degree. It's really remarkable what they (Heineken's crack team of brewers) have done here when you think about it: they spent two decades extracting every last taste molecule out of regular Heineken. I wouldn't have thought it would take that long, but I do congratulate them on the thoroughness of their acheivement.

04-20-2006 13:56:55 | More by battlekow
plaid75

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Certainly better than Amstel Light, but not as good as the now discontinued Beck's Light (not to be confused with Beck's Premier Light). These are the only other "green bottle" light beer I have tried.

Overall a very drinlable beer - as you would expect. I don't like the regular Heineken, but this beer doesn't have that sourness that I associate with Heineken.

I'd rather drink this than regular Heineken or any other light beer on the market. But since I have come to terms with my beer gut, I will stick to the good stuff.

04-15-2006 00:27:00 | More by plaid75
Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.