Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

awful

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -20.3%

I sampled every light beer possible a while back. Just about all were putrid. This was no exception.

Pours a water yellow. Surprisingly high carbonation. Seltzer mouthfeel. Actually has a bit of a hop background (!!), but it still tastes pretty bad, and there's the standard skunky malt aftertaste.

Avoid.

Overlord, Feb 17, 2008
1.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Someone left one of these behind at my Super Bowl party. I figured what the hell.

In terms of appearance, it reminded me of being ordered to quickly down a one-litre canteen after a 14-mile march and then turn it over to prove it was empty. I'd get enough fluid to stave off dehydration. When I pissed afterward, the fluids would lighten my urine to a dull, pale straw yellow with a little bit of white fizz at the top. Just like this "beer."

The aroma is really not a lot better -- mostly skunkiness right out of the bottle that gets more powerful as it hits the glass.

Not much discernible flavor either -- seltzer water with a slight trace of corn and a mild sticky sweetness that vanishes in a flash. Zero presence in the finish. Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect from a light macro beer -- thin and spritzy. Drinkable in the sense that it is easy to put a bunch of these away without feeling anything other than perhaps a little bloated. But who would want to?

If I'm in need of a thirst quenching and nothing else, I'll stick with water or iced tea. If my thirst quenching has to be beer, I will look for a witbier or a hefe. If I'm looking to keep weight off, I will moderate the amount of beer I drink but stick to real beer. There seems to be no real point to consuming this.

eberkman, Feb 08, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -6.5%

Very light yellow with a quick fading bright white head. SMell is of light watery malt. Fairly thin, with a corn like taste as well. Very little taste and aftertaste, but this is what you expect of a light beer, and overall, besides being watered down, the flavor is perhaps better than regular heineken.

JDV, Feb 02, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +9.9%

pours a very pale straw color with alot of skunkiness to the nose, that and water thats about it. it really doens't even look like beer, but the skunkiness is profound enough to tell otherwise. the taste or lack there of is basically water water water then followed by a little alcohol and skunkiness, then more water. mouthfeel is weak. the drinkability is highest part about this beer, oddly only cause it is so weak of a beer, i could probably dominate 40 of these before i feel it, scary thought.

1fastz28, Jan 29, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

Pure marketing crap. I think the difference in calories (last time I checked) between regular Heineken and Heinenken Light is a whopping 11 calories!

This beer is just watered down Heineken. I wouldn't even use this for cooking or beer batter. Get real Heineken or a Stella instead. Don't fall for the marketing jive.

Hoppington, Jan 07, 2008
1.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Wow this beer is terrible. Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass it pours a very pale yellow with only a slight fading head. There is almost no smell or taste. A very slight corny taste with a touch of skunky pilsner-like hops. The mouthfeel is much like an american macro lager, but a bit wimpy. I can't believe someone left 5 of these in my fridge...

Rudgers73, Dec 30, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer for me was essentially Heineken with less a bit less taste. Very light on the color and aroma. Color was pale straw yellow with a faint hint of hops in the aroma. The body was weak, typical of Heineken, and the Light had even less of a finish to it. On the positive note, I think this was pretty close taste wise for me to full out Heineken so if they were going for that they got it right. So if you like Heineken, but for some reason crave a light beer experience, this should work for you.

bigremy, Dec 30, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -18.1%

Hazy very light straw color. Head reduces but hangs around a little while. Not much smell, what I detect is wet cardboard. Taste is like taking one part macro lager and adding 5 parts or so mineral water, nothing to detect really. It was free, never had this before and never will again. There is however no skunkiness or sulfur to deal with, if it mattered that would be a good thing.

srrn, Dec 27, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +0.4%

There was a light hop aroma on first sniff but that just went away immediately. I'm left with a straight pilsner malt aroma. Actually smells pretty good.

Very clear and light straw colored. Almost no head at all just a broken ring around the edge of my glass. Lots of streams of fine rising bubbles.

Flavor is problematic for me. I taste almost no malt. I get a little bit of sweetness but nothing that I would right off say is barley malt. Just kind of sugary. There is light hop bitterness but I get no real hop flavor at all. There is a carbonic bite that lends some bitterness too. But mostly this is fairly neutral flavored liquid. Edited later: I let this warm up a bit and had the last of it. There's a really unpleasant aftertaste of cheesy hops. Dropped my original 2 score on taste.

VERY VERY VERY thin of body. Fizzy and pretty high carbonation level.

It's actually very drinkable. In fact if I was really thirsty I would happily drop one of these in a few big gulps.

czechsaaz, Dec 16, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clean, pale yellow color, with a white head. In the aroma, sweet and small skunky malt. In the taste, small sweet malt, but quite bland. A small bite, but mostly smooth mouthfeel, with a clean, small dry aftertaste. Kind of skunky, but a clean, small sweet malt.

OWSLEY069, Nov 26, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -3%

This is one overhyped beer. It pours a golden yellow with a short white head that is pretty thin. It smells really faint. Nothing to it really. It has an aroma of some light malt and maybe some hops but I can't detect anything else. It tastes the same. Light in taste of light grains and some hops but not much of either. It has a nice mouthfeel though and it is pretty drinkable as it is pretty low in alcohol content and taste. Not really a good beer and I would not recommend it at all.

erosier, Nov 22, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +81%

I am a big fan of this beer. I have never really liked Heineken too much. A little too many hops and skunky taste for me. However, Heineken Light has that great smoothness and mouthfeel of Heineken, without the skunk taste. I definitely hitthis drink up at any Heineken event from now on.

BDIMike, Nov 04, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Drank straight from the bottle at my in-laws.

Smell is beer-like at best. Very faint grain and hops smell.

When I first drank this beer I went in expecting it to taste absolutely horrible. Well...half right. I don't really like Heineken to begin with. Hence it was not a stretch to really care too much about this beer either. However, if you like this beer, then you might actually like it. If fizzy light beer is your thing, this is actually not a bad choice.

jneiswender, Oct 17, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Okay, I have to admit, I do like the commercials. But the beer, on the other hand, exactly what youd expect. Not much of anything. Eerily similar to that Becks premier light. Light and fizzy. No smell. Damn near no taste either. Just as much like club soda or tonic water as it is beer. If your looking for low-carb or low-alcohol, try something like michelob ultra, aspen edge, or even old milwaukee n-a.

jasonpeckins32, Oct 11, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +74.6%

After reading the previous reviews on this beer it's obvious to me how many rookie beer drinkers we have registered here. This beer is obviously a EUROPEAN LIGHT beer. Unlike most of the fake mass produced American beers with light on the label and 4-5% Alc. European beers are also light on alcohol. This one is perfect for what it is brewed for. Not everyone is an alky that drinks to get drunk. I love this beer as I can drink several and enjoy them without waking up dying with a hangover. If your out to get drunk then by all means this is not your beer. If your looking for a great tasting easy to drink light beer that won't bloat you or scramble your brain, then this is the beer. I love it and I've drank more beers in more countries than the average American. I've also drank more beer than some small countries. Rather than read some punks review how about try it yourself and rate it honestly for what it is and not what you want it to be. Word!

Gad, Oct 05, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +34.9%

a: very light yellow color with about an inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing anywhere to be seen
s:mm a little sweet grainy malt backbone and hints of hops
t: not as flavorless as bud light there was a deffinate corny adjunct taste to it with a minimal hop presence
m: light bodied beer with a little carbonation

overall, this beer is meant to be consumed out by the pool on a hot summer day, and with its low abv its good for that, but if im going for a macro, ill look elsewhere

happygnome, Oct 03, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

wow, day two at a conference and they switched the heineken to the light version. I didn't notice until I had the first swig and though, darn that was watery what is this? then I noticed the label and went, wow another beer I wouldn't buy. for what I would ordinarily drink this was a below average beer. thinking back to the last time I had a light beer (4 years ago) this one actually had a notion of taste bolstered mostly by a pleasing hop presences.

that's the best I can do here.

barleywinebrewer, Sep 18, 2007

Heineken- Premium Light

Appearance- Light yellow almost clear with a quick fizzy head.
Smell- Very sugary sweet syrupy malt. Rice and corn adjunct.
Taste- Sweet rice and corn flavors. Very watery very little flavor here.
Mouthfeel- Watery up front followed by a quick burst of sweet adjunct flavoring and finishing off watery and lifeless.

Overall- Practically no flavor. Don't waste your time.

Someone left a few in my fridge so I figured I'd review it. I'm going back onto my,"don't drink and review macro's" ban!!!

NJpadreFan, Sep 16, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +41.4%

12 ounce bottle from a local market

Just like normal Heineken except a whole lot lighter

Pours even more golden with a thinner white head that vanishes simultaneously

Could drink a serious amount of these if you were thirsty, very light to say the least

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +40.1%

Sorry to those before me who apparently rated this beer against obviously better-quality beers or got skunks of this one, but for its purpose as an uber-light beer on a hot summer day that's not overly filling or hoppy, this was great.

I was at an outdoor party over the weekend, and somehow ended up with this one. It seemed the better choice when I went back for more, since there wasn't much water available and I didn't want to be all bloated. I just wanted some nice non-offensive enjoying bubbly with real beer taste that wasn't US-macro-beer carbonated or too filling. Other choices included beers like Newcastle (usually love it), several Abita's and some others. I'd spent the night before, knocking back liters of Erdingen Helles on-tap at another party.

A= didn't pour since we only had bottles but others did into plastic cups, rather typical light-yellow with little head.

S= first sniff told me that at least it wasn't skunked like many years of previous Heineken's!

T= yes definitely light on character but still enough malt and hops taste in appropriate balance with the carbonation. Nothing offsetting here at all. Hopefully you don't get a skunk-- but that's not the beer problem, it's the storage temperature variances.

M= for what I wanted-- lightweight and thirst-quenching, great!

D= after drinking it all day and night, I was actually upset when they ran out-- definite hot-weather lightweight session beer.

therica, Sep 12, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very pale color with a very thin head (almost nothing there). Aroma is slightly skunk with the familiarity of Heineken (except supposedly lighter). Taste is very, very light and almost bland. Almost nothing there to taste, hence the typical light lager. Not a bad effort but definitely not something I'd be buying again. I just wanted to try mainly.

Brad007, Sep 10, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +17.7%

I tried this beer when I was in a bar with limited options. I heard a lot of buzz about Heineken having a light beer so I thought I would give it a shot.

Appearance- A light yellow with enough carbonation to carry it in to an average rating.

Smell- It was not as plain as I thought it would have been. There was a little hops bouquet to it.

Taste- This beer was not flavorless as far as light beers go but had a lot mass produced adjunct taste to it. On the other hand it surprisingly had some hops flavor to it as well.

Mouthfeel. Thin and watery with a little fizz.

Drinkability- If you have limited options it is at least worth a try.

MTNboy, Jul 17, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

I went into the first one with eager anticipation...and then left it, and the rest of the six, untouched for over a month in the fridge. THe beer pours with virtually no head....no retention....little sweet corn nose....THE MOST WATERED DOWN OVERPRICED BEER EVER! I'd love to give details...but water and corn kinda sums it up! Hints...and I mean HINTS of pale malt....a grainy finish and aftertaste filled by pure swill adjuncts lingering like flies on a dead carp. This beer is terrible....I'd rather drink Falls City for 4.99 a 12 ...same beer only you save 8 bucks! There is NO such thing as a great light beer....maybe Mar's....but how anyone would drink this over Miller Lite is mindboggling! Terrible beer!

witster18, Jul 09, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -31.9%

This is just slightly better than Beck's Premier Light, which is to say lousy. This beer is roughly 92% beer-flavor-free. With virtually no beer aroma or flavor, all that remains is a light bit of grain smell, and fairly abundant skunky aroma and flavor. This beer is very light in color, as it is just faintly yellow. To describe it with another comparison; this beer is significantly worse than its original.

BeerBelcher, Jun 16, 2007

God, I can not believe that my 1st review on Beer Advocate is this, but oh well. It is ok, not bad and not good. My father drinks it so while I was home I had one. Taste better that some light beers. If given a choice of Heineken Light and another light beer I would choose this. It can be had for 11$ for a 12 pack. (WV)

jonahjuice, Jun 02, 2007
Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.