Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

awful

awful

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
Gad

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +74.6%

After reading the previous reviews on this beer it's obvious to me how many rookie beer drinkers we have registered here. This beer is obviously a EUROPEAN LIGHT beer. Unlike most of the fake mass produced American beers with light on the label and 4-5% Alc. European beers are also light on alcohol. This one is perfect for what it is brewed for. Not everyone is an alky that drinks to get drunk. I love this beer as I can drink several and enjoy them without waking up dying with a hangover. If your out to get drunk then by all means this is not your beer. If your looking for a great tasting easy to drink light beer that won't bloat you or scramble your brain, then this is the beer. I love it and I've drank more beers in more countries than the average American. I've also drank more beer than some small countries. Rather than read some punks review how about try it yourself and rate it honestly for what it is and not what you want it to be. Word!

10-05-2007 01:08:34 | More by Gad
happygnome

3.13/5  rDev +34.9%

a: very light yellow color with about an inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing anywhere to be seen
s:mm a little sweet grainy malt backbone and hints of hops
t: not as flavorless as bud light there was a deffinate corny adjunct taste to it with a minimal hop presence
m: light bodied beer with a little carbonation

overall, this beer is meant to be consumed out by the pool on a hot summer day, and with its low abv its good for that, but if im going for a macro, ill look elsewhere

10-03-2007 04:37:07 | More by happygnome
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%

wow, day two at a conference and they switched the heineken to the light version. I didn't notice until I had the first swig and though, darn that was watery what is this? then I noticed the label and went, wow another beer I wouldn't buy. for what I would ordinarily drink this was a below average beer. thinking back to the last time I had a light beer (4 years ago) this one actually had a notion of taste bolstered mostly by a pleasing hop presences.

that's the best I can do here.

09-18-2007 19:03:14 | More by barleywinebrewer
NJpadreFan

Heineken- Premium Light

Appearance- Light yellow almost clear with a quick fizzy head.
Smell- Very sugary sweet syrupy malt. Rice and corn adjunct.
Taste- Sweet rice and corn flavors. Very watery very little flavor here.
Mouthfeel- Watery up front followed by a quick burst of sweet adjunct flavoring and finishing off watery and lifeless.

Overall- Practically no flavor. Don't waste your time.

Someone left a few in my fridge so I figured I'd review it. I'm going back onto my,"don't drink and review macro's" ban!!!

09-16-2007 19:57:38 | More by NJpadreFan
Floydster

3.28/5  rDev +41.4%

12 ounce bottle from a local market

Just like normal Heineken except a whole lot lighter

Pours even more golden with a thinner white head that vanishes simultaneously

Could drink a serious amount of these if you were thirsty, very light to say the least

09-12-2007 17:59:30 | More by Floydster
therica

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev +40.1%

Sorry to those before me who apparently rated this beer against obviously better-quality beers or got skunks of this one, but for its purpose as an uber-light beer on a hot summer day that's not overly filling or hoppy, this was great.

I was at an outdoor party over the weekend, and somehow ended up with this one. It seemed the better choice when I went back for more, since there wasn't much water available and I didn't want to be all bloated. I just wanted some nice non-offensive enjoying bubbly with real beer taste that wasn't US-macro-beer carbonated or too filling. Other choices included beers like Newcastle (usually love it), several Abita's and some others. I'd spent the night before, knocking back liters of Erdingen Helles on-tap at another party.

A= didn't pour since we only had bottles but others did into plastic cups, rather typical light-yellow with little head.

S= first sniff told me that at least it wasn't skunked like many years of previous Heineken's!

T= yes definitely light on character but still enough malt and hops taste in appropriate balance with the carbonation. Nothing offsetting here at all. Hopefully you don't get a skunk-- but that's not the beer problem, it's the storage temperature variances.

M= for what I wanted-- lightweight and thirst-quenching, great!

D= after drinking it all day and night, I was actually upset when they ran out-- definite hot-weather lightweight session beer.

09-12-2007 00:53:05 | More by therica
Brad007

Vermont

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a very pale color with a very thin head (almost nothing there). Aroma is slightly skunk with the familiarity of Heineken (except supposedly lighter). Taste is very, very light and almost bland. Almost nothing there to taste, hence the typical light lager. Not a bad effort but definitely not something I'd be buying again. I just wanted to try mainly.

09-10-2007 23:30:56 | More by Brad007
MTNboy

Germany

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%

I tried this beer when I was in a bar with limited options. I heard a lot of buzz about Heineken having a light beer so I thought I would give it a shot.

Appearance- A light yellow with enough carbonation to carry it in to an average rating.

Smell- It was not as plain as I thought it would have been. There was a little hops bouquet to it.

Taste- This beer was not flavorless as far as light beers go but had a lot mass produced adjunct taste to it. On the other hand it surprisingly had some hops flavor to it as well.

Mouthfeel. Thin and watery with a little fizz.

Drinkability- If you have limited options it is at least worth a try.

07-17-2007 12:35:18 | More by MTNboy
witster18

Tennessee

1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

I went into the first one with eager anticipation...and then left it, and the rest of the six, untouched for over a month in the fridge. THe beer pours with virtually no head....no retention....little sweet corn nose....THE MOST WATERED DOWN OVERPRICED BEER EVER! I'd love to give details...but water and corn kinda sums it up! Hints...and I mean HINTS of pale malt....a grainy finish and aftertaste filled by pure swill adjuncts lingering like flies on a dead carp. This beer is terrible....I'd rather drink Falls City for 4.99 a 12 ...same beer only you save 8 bucks! There is NO such thing as a great light beer....maybe Mar's....but how anyone would drink this over Miller Lite is mindboggling! Terrible beer!

07-09-2007 22:26:57 | More by witster18
BeerBelcher

1.58/5  rDev -31.9%

This is just slightly better than Beck's Premier Light, which is to say lousy. This beer is roughly 92% beer-flavor-free. With virtually no beer aroma or flavor, all that remains is a light bit of grain smell, and fairly abundant skunky aroma and flavor. This beer is very light in color, as it is just faintly yellow. To describe it with another comparison; this beer is significantly worse than its original.

06-16-2007 18:07:27 | More by BeerBelcher
jonahjuice

West Virginia

God, I can not believe that my 1st review on Beer Advocate is this, but oh well. It is ok, not bad and not good. My father drinks it so while I was home I had one. Taste better that some light beers. If given a choice of Heineken Light and another light beer I would choose this. It can be had for 11$ for a 12 pack. (WV)

06-02-2007 00:20:24 | More by jonahjuice
DoubleJ

Surprise! I mixed this into the Unorganized Invitational as the fourth of six entries. Why you ask? I'll explain later, but let's see what this "Premium Light" has to offer:

Poured into a stange glass, it pours and looks like a pilsner with its clear yellow body. Seeing an average head on it brought some hopes about this offering, but that was its high tide. It shares it's skunky scent with its brother. Taste wise, it's certainly watered down, Malt flavor is light and astringent, sour cereal-like taste balances it all out with a watery feel.

If you've been following the Unorganized Invitational, you don't need me to tell you this won't make the cut...

...which brings us to why I chose this beer in the first place. Well, this is my 100th review, and after drinking all those brews, I wanted something lighter in calories and tasting like water. Yeah, right! Anyone watching their chick-flick ads knows who this is targeted to. There's nothing "premium" about this except the price tag.

05-19-2007 05:56:44 | More by DoubleJ
jasonjlewis

1.1/5  rDev -52.6%

Dude, this beer is the wateriest crap I'veever had. the head dissapates immediately. The only way it could be worse is if it was completely flat. There is really nothing constructive to say about this beer. It's slight skunkiness due to the green bottling makes it undrinkable. It has almost no flavor. It tastes like slightly skunked beer flavored water. Do not drink this beer. There is nothing constructive to say about this. I guess if you want to appear cool but don't like the taste of beer you can waste 30 dollars a case on this shit.

I got it cause it was 1 dollar for a single.

04-22-2007 07:41:16 | More by jasonjlewis
Westsidethreat

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a light straw hue with a flurry of bubble movement inside the glass. Head is minor but affective, made up of tight off white foam.

S: Copper coins, green apple and noble hops. Pretty much what I was expecting.

T: Starts off with an artificial mild yellow corn sweetness, much less pronounced flavor than Heineken proper. Moves towards really week grassy notes with limestone after effects. Finishes slightly metallic with a touch of bitterness.

M: Light body, hard with carbo sting.

D: I know, I know. But it was there and I have to review every beer I drink. Not that this beer is undrinkable, I'm sure I could knock quite a few back. Its just not very good and lacks and real character.

04-21-2007 23:10:49 | More by Westsidethreat
BryanCarey

1.65/5  rDev -28.9%

Heineken Premium Light is yellow/golden in color with a nose that features some grassy hops and some skunkiness. The foam on this beer is okay, but it doesn’t last very long, leaving behind a thin layer of bubbles across the top of its clear body.

This beer offers a light malt flavor that combines some pale malted barley taste with some corn. The beer finishes with only a small amount of bitterness. It is sweeter overall than regular Heineken with only a slight peppery sensation at the end which quickly fades to an aftertaste that combines skunky flavors with sweet malt.

Heineken took a long time to finally introduce a light beer and this product, like many other lights, is nothing more than a watery version of the original. I have never been very fond of regular Heineken, so I am even less fond of Heineken Light. I didn’t expect much going in and my expectations were met when I gave this beer a try. This product is very light and offers little taste. It also has the same skunky attributes commonly associated with the parent beer. The taste of corn/cereal grains and skunky hops dominate and the beer is a little too sweet. If I had to write down a list of taste characteristics before I had ever tried this beer, my predictions would have been very accurate. It is basically a glass of watered- down Heineken. It has a clean, crisp look and taste, but there is little else positive to say about this product.

03-31-2007 04:42:58 | More by BryanCarey
BBM

2.53/5  rDev +9.1%

Well, I used this beer to drink during my fantasy baseball draft, and things turned out OK. This beer isn't even as terrible as I would have thought. It pours the same pale yellow fizzy color with the same slightly grainy/skunky nose.

The taste is not awful, in fact it's not much of anything. A little bready, a little sour, but nothing egregious. If anything it's got a less skunky taste than a regular Heiny. Mouthfeel is still weak, but really you can drink several of these without even realizing it. It's one of the better "light" beers on the market. But that's not saying too much, I guess.

03-29-2007 14:27:51 | More by BBM
MmmIPA

1.23/5  rDev -47%

Now I told myself and other people that when I started drinking better beer that I would never go back to drinking swill again but this bottle was free.Thanks to Lisa,Now I may go back to reviewing macro beers just to see how they are now that im converted.If there free and or very cheap, I'll get em.

White head and light yellow body and some bubbles.Fine rim around the glass.

ASS or is that skunk.I dont know how people will spend around 30 bucks and buy this and not buy a case of lionshead or Yuengling lager for cheaper.I dont smell jack in this stuff.

I guess im tasting rice.I dont know what to taste but malt and hops now.

Goes down smooth and is sorda refreshing.

I wouldnt have again.It is nasty and not worth to have again.

03-01-2007 17:21:46 | More by MmmIPA
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%

This review is one half of Macro Smackdown XIII, yet another comparison tasting of the less palatable members of the beer world. Heineken Premium Light Lager's competition today will be Pabst Blue Ribbon Light. For starters, the bottles couldn't be more distinctive. This beer comes in classic Euro lager green with an attractive painted 'label'. PBR Light comes in the more user-friendly brown glass with a standard paper label. What matters, of course, is what's inside those bottles.

Faded amber, probably a shade lighter than its American counterpart. It actually occured to me to make sure I keep the bottles next to their respective glasses since these two look so similar that mixing them up would be easy to do. This cap is brighter, a wee bit creamier and leaves an identical pattern of lace. Slight edge here, but probably not enough for different scores to be granted.

Whatever mild skunkiness was present initially is now gone. This nose is more nose-filling, but is also less likeable in that Euro pale lager hoppy funkiness kind of way. The differences are subtle, though, and I can't say that I prefer one over the other.

Neither light lager is a sock knocker-offer. They're both simple and cereal grain-like with a token amount of hoppiness. A token and a half in this beer's case. They both lean to the dry, crisp side rather than the sweet side. Neither is offensive and both would be easily drinkable in a pinch. Could we have the first MacSmack tie?

There's no hope of getting a few degrees of separation on the mouthfeel front. If I was blinded, I don't believe I could tell the difference between these two. Therefore, identical scores.

The scores may be the same, but I feel a need to pick a winner of MacSmack XIII. Heineken Premium Light Lager is the winner for a fair reason and for an unfair reason. The first is that the head is brighter and slightly more attractive. The second is that it tastes (and probably is) slightly fresher. I take the blame for PBR Light's less than perfectly fresh state. However, in my defense, if the breweries would date their bottles, it wouldn't have happened. Anyone looking for a drinkable light lager should give both of these beers a look.

02-15-2007 13:41:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
rowew

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev +0.4%

Presentation: 12 oz green bottle, clear labels. No freshness info, some sort of code.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, thin head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Instant whiff of skunk when opened. Definitely a bit light struck, some cooked vegetables and a hint of malt.

Taste: Hmm.. Heineken, a bit watered down. A bit hoppier than many other light beers, but the mouth feel is very thin. Just a hint of malt flavor - barely there.

Overall impression: Meh. Not horrible, but I don't understand why this beer exists in the first place.

02-14-2007 01:33:18 | More by rowew
Byeast

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%

I had this beer on the golf course , around sunset. I don't know what it looks like because i had it in a bottle , but i think i can guess. The smell was like a lighter heiny , some light grains , bit of haller hop , some alcohol , and the signature skunk. Taste was of mild graint malt mixed with the regular heiniken taste , but lighter. Bitterness seemed a bit more pronounced in the finish. Overall , it had a more refreshing quality , but it was very thin a i would not buy it. It did however get the job done , and as almost any beer would , it made my evening a little bit better.

01-21-2007 08:34:26 | More by Byeast
psugrad98

3.53/5  rDev +52.2%

Served in green tall bottle. Pours pale straw, with quickly dissappering head. Thin lace clings to side of glass as it is drunk.

Smooth and easy drinking with only slight trace of bitterness that regular Heineken is known for. Lightly carbonated with slight bitter finish. Slightly astringent with minimal trace of corn and other adjuncts.

Not a great beer, but a good alternative to other flavorless or overly adjuncted light beers out there.

01-14-2007 18:21:42 | More by psugrad98
jettjon

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

From the 12 oz bottle into the pint glass, pours a light golden color with few bubbles beneath a thin white head that fades rapidly leaving only a tiny bit of lacing. Nose is of faint citrus and is faintly sweet. Taste is malty up front with a dry malty finish. Nothing to write home about here. Mouth is watery, bubbly, clean, and overall satisfying. Drinkability is OK; this is a decent light Euro lager, but there’s little point to it. Avoid.

01-07-2007 18:32:46 | More by jettjon
goochpunch

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a pale straw with a tiny head that fizzles out to nothing regardless of the fact that there is decent carbonation present. Smells slightly sulphury, but definately not skunked. Some grain. Faint. Slight malt and apple cider notes in the nose. Flavor is malty with bready and slightly nutty flavors. I pick up a bit of tea-like hops in there as well. All of that said, this is of course watered down. Gets a touch boozy when warmer. Mouthfeel is light and stings the tongue with bubbles. Refreshing AND it has some flavor. Not bad.

12-23-2006 04:09:09 | More by goochpunch
maddogruss

3.38/5  rDev +45.7%

Had this for the first time tonight. Pale, yellow look with an ok head. A malty kind of smell; reminded me of a pilsner. Tasted malty at first but then tasted more like a macro beer. A light mouthfeel; tasted like all the other light beers (Coors light, Millier lite, etc.) Pretty drinkable beer; could drink it all night if you wanted to (my friends seemed to enjoy it). But, I would stick to the domestic light beers; they taste the same and don't cost as much.

12-17-2006 08:45:19 | More by maddogruss
hanco005

3.13/5  rDev +34.9%

Grilling chicken and wanted something light and easy to drink so I thought I would give this a try. I purchased a 6 pack and finished it throughout the afternoon and evening 12 oz bottle, marked 6144528R055, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours clear golden yellow with a 1 inch fizzy bright white head that is gone immediately, no lacing at all

S—sweet grains, corn, some malty sweetness, can’t really smell anything else and it is what I expected

T—really mild grains, sweet, not much for flavor, maybe a little citrusy tang at the end, not offensive, just not much here

M—smooth and wet and little thin, light bodied, good carbonation

D—not terrible, In fact, it goes down pretty easily and might be good for yard work or by the pool.

11-06-2006 15:28:27 | More by hanco005
Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.