Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
1.47/5  rDev -37.7%

A - Yellow, slight head, heavy carbonation.

S - Smell is of malt and water.

T/M - One of the most awful light beers, could not even finish the 12oz bottle. Taste was of water, and a harsh skunky stale malt bite. Astringent and unapealling. Mouthfeel, was terrible.

D - Don't even waste your money on these.

Please, do yourself a favor and don't even try this.

1.64/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance – This stinker came out of the lovely green bottle a solid yellow in color with a nice white head that actually left some lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – The skunk was in full effect here just like it was for Daddy Heiny. The putrid smell of rotten grain and moldy Pixie Stix filled the room instantly.

Taste – Oh, this is gross. I can kind of taste some grain but other than that it’s like licking a skunk’s asshole after he just inhaled two giant been burritos and a dead goldfish.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with a disappointing carbonated fizzle.

Sinkability – This was a very sinkable beer.

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Okay here we go a brew that is a light version of Heine is that possible well let's just say I'm not sure. Appears a light golden pale hue with a bright white head leaves behind nice scattered lacing. Aroma has more skunky Euro hops sorry folks those are the facts on this beer they promote a nice skuny grassy hop character with a minimal citrus profile just enjoy and now your enjoying something high end, right? Taste has lighter crisp version of Heineken I could see this going over here with crisp hop character it finishes a tad bitter for American flavor but it's actually not that bad grassy citrus hop profile with light creamy biscuit malt tones go figure. Mouthfeel as the label reveals it's light bodied higher artificial carbonation not the end of the world. Drinkability well not that bad I could crave this in another life possibly, but once again pretty unoffensive what can I say.

2.88/5  rDev +22%

Pours a pale golden color without much of a head. Brisk carbonation stings the tongue a bit. The aroma was very faint, mostly grain, however I did not detect any skunkiness in the taste or the aroma which I found surprising actually - I was expecting it.

Taste is very clean, very crisp with a thin mouthfeel. Almost like drinking grain flavored water. Virtually no lingering after taste. I suppose the Heineken drinker who is looking for something light would like this. This bottle was left at my house, and I can't see myself ever buying it as I like fuller flavored beers. But if someone is looking for a brew that is clean and crisp, leaves no lingering taste on the palate, then this is probably it.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle into a pilsner glass, light yellow colour (hey, it's European). Overcarbonated, yet a thin white head; no lacing.

S: Watered down Heineken. There's a trace of a scent there, but not much of one.

Taste: Ditto. See above; substitute "taste" for "scent."

Mouthfeel: "Did I miss my mouth?" Watery, no body.

Low drinkability. Below water.

Another of the green-bottled Euro-lager attempts at a light beer. See: Beck's Light. Thanks for my brother for hooking me up with this one for free; 'cause if I'd paid for it, I'd feel really bad right now.

1.6/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

[free bottle abandoned at my house after a party. What, you thought I bought this?]

Actually looked pretty good when I poured it - light creamy white head even laced a bit. The body was very very light gold with a torrent of bubbles heading toward the top. They must be trying to escape from the beer. Smells pretty foul - old broccoli and corn with chemical-laden artificial butter on top. Very very light, airy texture isn't offensive, but lacks substance. Wet air, MJ? The flavor certainly lacks substance as well - I think one limp little hop leaf made it into this bottle and tries to assert itself the best it can, but the vague weak pilsmalt-sugar-water solution still overpowers it. Again, the only thing really offensive about this beer is the aroma. Everything else is just empty.

In the end, all I can think of is the oft-morphed joke "What does sex in a canoe and (insert macro beer here) have in common?"

Beermail me for the punchline if you have never heard that one.

3.03/5  rDev +28.4%

I guess it depends on what you are looking for:

If you want a Heineken, but something a little lighter, this is it. Obviously, but what I mean is they did a great job of keeping the distinct Heineken flavor and mouthfeel. It is "lighter" and a bit skunkier than it's counterpart.

If you are looking for a tasty light beer, I would suggest you go somewhere else.

I feel this beer is only for Heineken fans.

1.51/5  rDev -36%

I was not impressed with this brew -- watery taste with a slight skunk aroma -- I enjoy a nice fresh cold Heinekin in the bottle and on draft -- this did not compare favorably.

I would not purchase again.

I purchased a sixer of this beer at the local convenient market based on the slick advertising that I had seen -- bad idea.

Overall a waste of 10 bucks --

1.9/5  rDev -19.5%

A buddy of mine stopped by with a sixer of this so I figured I would give it a shot. Not much smell or taste to it. Very bland. A bit corny and skunky...kinda like bad city water in some places I've been. Too carbonated for my liking. I could only finish one and won't be having another. If I want a light beer I'll grab a SA light instead.

2.34/5  rDev -0.8%

I enjoy the full version of Heineken but the light just isn't all that good. If you are into a watered down beer, this may be the thing for you. I would say that it is a lot like a Coors Light. They have some really good commercials on TV but I did not like my sample that I tatsed at the World Beer Festival in Raleigh, NC April 2006. If you like Heineken, stick with the regular and skip the premium light.

3.2/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesn't taste like Heineken. Fairly bland lager taste. The mouthfeel is richer than most light beers I have tried. I certainly wouldn't look for if, but it is about on par with Miller Lite, if you are out there with a very limited selection of watery, bland beers. Appearance is less than average, the ubiquitous yellow lager color, small head that fades quickly, little smell, almost no lacing. I would like to try one without the cryogenically frosted beer mug I was given, but I'm sure the flavor would not be that much better in a non-frosted glass. Ok for a session if you are counting calories and there is nothing memorable to tempt you with.

2.31/5  rDev -2.1%

Had this from some family who came with it. Pours increadibly light colored and a small fizzy head that really fades quickly. Not really too carbonated. Smell has that floral medicinal quality I associate with regular Heineken but its fainter. Taste is also similar but fainter. Malt is really lacking and there is no sweetness or carbonation to give this beer life. Finish has a slight hoppiness but that's about it. Unfortunate that some people buy this.

2.23/5  rDev -5.5%

Medium-pale straw with a small, foamy, white head that very quickly diminishes to a thin film. Smells of stinky grain, very mild hops and some light doughy yeast. The taste isn’t as terrible as I expected at first. Light, refreshing, and easy-drinking like a light beer should be, but the finish is not so good. Too much carbonation for my liking too.
There. I tried it. No thanks. On the rare occasion that I’m in the mood for a light beer, I will NOT be picking up anymore of this. There are far better light beers out there, most of which cost less too.

2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours pale straw with crystal clarity. Dense, foamy head of two and a half fingers shows good retention and leaves nice sticky lacing. Light aroma of cereal adjuncts and pale malt, but skunked hops dominate. The taste is sweet and corny with a pale malt flavor trying to pull through. A pleasently mild euro hop flavor comes through in the aftertaste, but this overcompensation for a lack of malt flavor puts the flavor out of balance. Smooth, light body with even carbonation. That distinctive "skunk" taste is the only real character in this beer, so the drinkability is good if you're fond of that light-struck flavor.

2.23/5  rDev -5.5%

Friend brought some of these over to watch a movie the other night.
Was thinking...heiney..bitter, skunky...green..beer.
Heiney light was to me actually no better.
appearance: poured straw yellow..white head that left early
aroma: a little grainy...not as skuny as regular heiney
taste: not much...a little bitter and grain...but not enought really say i am hops hear me roar..carbonation was fizzy.
mouthfeel: watery...like setzler water
drinkablility: easy to drink..but not really satisfying..might work on a hot day...but i will pass..

Overall...a marco larger aimed at the college crowd who think the green bottle is cool....i'll pass unless it is free.

1.72/5  rDev -27.1%

Apparently, Heineken hasn't introduced a new beer in 131 years, and it took them 18 to come up with this little number. Hold onto that thought for a minute.

Heineken Light smells exactly like a skunk. Exactly. We're talking essence of roadkill here. It's almost interesting how bad this beer smells. If you enjoy the smell of burning tires, Heineken Light is the beer for you. Sorry it took so long.

The taste is more of the same, albeit to a lesser degree. It's really remarkable what they (Heineken's crack team of brewers) have done here when you think about it: they spent two decades extracting every last taste molecule out of regular Heineken. I wouldn't have thought it would take that long, but I do congratulate them on the thoroughness of their acheivement.

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%

Certainly better than Amstel Light, but not as good as the now discontinued Beck's Light (not to be confused with Beck's Premier Light). These are the only other "green bottle" light beer I have tried.

Overall a very drinlable beer - as you would expect. I don't like the regular Heineken, but this beer doesn't have that sourness that I associate with Heineken.

I'd rather drink this than regular Heineken or any other light beer on the market. But since I have come to terms with my beer gut, I will stick to the good stuff.

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%

just an average drinkable beer. very very light, crisp taste. however you can taste that it is a quality made light beer. this sint a bud light we are talking about here. deep, complex taste no, cheap crap no. again would reccomend for dieters mainly.

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Heineken “Premium” Light Lager Beer pours a peaked amber from its 12oz light green glass bottle.

Nose is of fizz water and fizz water...
Palate is...??? FIZZ WATER!!!

What gives? What will it take? For a Major Brewer to come up with a “Light Lager” That really really tastes like real BEER!

2.09/5  rDev -11.4%

I am not sure if it is lighter in color than regular Heineken because I had it in a bottle. It is bland with a very watery almost club soda type mouthfeel. I would call this a "n/h" beer for non-hopped. There would be no suprise to find out that they removed the hop flavor from this beer after brewing in the way non-alcoholic beers are made. Yet this is one of the few "light" beers that tastes very close to its non-light offering. A true swill nonetheless.

2.4/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This has got to be one of the most weak and fruitless beers I think I have ever had. It doesn't have on offensive taste or an offensive smell. It's just SO light, it's nearly void of anything. It poured a crystal clear medium yellow with a snow white head about 20mm thick which faded quickly. Weak, watery, quickly dissolving lacing forms on the sides of my glass, but, as stated above, dissolves if you rock the glass. Has that sour smell (is this hops?) that Heineken and Grolsch are notorious for, just on a bit of a scaled down level (hey, it's the light version). Taste is quite light as the flavour (what little bit is there) seems to wait about a half a second to manifest itself. The flavour seems to be very lightly of malt and almost void of hops at all...you really have to search for them. Mouthfeel is positively scary!! Absolutely watery....not quite Michelob Ultra watery..but close, and the carbonation level is a bit lousy, too. I gave the drinkability a 3.5 simply because you could probably drink an enormous amount fo this stuff. It is what it is, I suppose, and I imagine it will fill a certain niche and they'll probably sell a staggering amount of this stuff. For what it is and what it is supposed to be, I suppose it's okay. If my only choices were this and a BMC, I'd either have this or a glass of water.
Blessed Be

I've had better import light lagers. I've had worse, too. Pours out to a medium yellow color with a short lived head of foam. Minor notes of lace. Aromas of light malt and mild hops, some cereal notes. Taste was fair; some sweet malt and grain, touches of watery hops. Mouthfeel is mediocre; not to be confused with thirst-quenching. Drinkability is fair. Possibly the best pick at a boring bar, but nothing special.

2.51/5  rDev +6.4%

The only reason this beer even sells at all in the USA is because the Traditional Heineken Lager has a bit of a classy mage here in the US (maybe across the pond is different, I wouldn't know).

This beer looks and tastes the same as you would expect from a light beer. It pours clear straw yellow and has *very* little aroma. The taste is just watery and thin and typical. There is nothing offensive about it but also there is nothing interesting either. The mouthfeel is very sudsy with no weight behind the carbonation. The drinkability is about the same as any sparkly water. It would be very drinkable if you actually wanted to drink the stuff.

Hope this is helpful.

3.1/5  rDev +31.4%

Well there's not much that wasn't expected here. Heineken light in the green bottle is light-struck ("skunked") just like the regular version. It pretty much tastes like regular Heineken that's been watered-down, yet it still retains most of the alcohol. Gone are the nice, malts and herbal hops. It is, however, very refreshing. Very refreshing! - kind of like water. And, it has enough hop flavor and bitterness that it tastes much more like "beer" than the American "light" beers. There are better light beers available (Sam Adam's, for example), but in comparison to the likes of Bud Light, Miller Lite, Amstel Light, and Corona Light I'd take this one.

2.4/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Among light beers, this is no worse than average, and perhaps a bit better, but then, this is a low standard to start with. Overall, the flavor profile seemed true to the standard Heineken lager, only watered-down. I suspect you could achieve the same effect by letting a couple of ice cubes melt in a glass of Heineken. Neither offensive nor enjoyable. Just wet.

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.