Heineken Premium Light Lager - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 03-01-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Premium Light Lager Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

We pour a brew of light golden yellow. It holds a brief half finger head of crisp white bubbles, leaving a ring around the edges. Lacing becoming spidery as the liquid levels decrease. Carbonation appears moderate, and translucency is utterly complete. The nose sings with corn and sickly metallic adjuncts. There is grassiness of more fresh malt action, with sweeps of white sugar sweetness coming and going. As we sip, the mouth is met with skunky, adjuncty, souring grain. This puckers the mouth, with metallics and faint synthetic lemon. The latter affords sweetness, but this is transient, as watery malts and hard water come through, blunted all flavor through the middle. Barley and grass predominate, giving room for nothing else through the finish either. Flour adds to this, with more metallics and mineral water bite. The aftertaste breathes of more of the same, with tin, generic grass, and water. There are thin stripes of alcohol throughout. The body is light and the carbonation is medium to high. The feel is thin and watery, with little slurp or cream. Each sip is paper thin, with little coating or drying. Quite hydrating, in fact. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks appropriately for the style.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how easily it goes down. If you’re looking for a light brew with mild flavoring, this is something you might be interested in. The beer lacks any real flavoring, but comes forth with basic malts and a light airy background. It is not as offensive as many others like it, but is also not something I would regularly stock in my fridge.

2.13/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a short lived, fizzy, bubbly head. The nose is musty and grainy with a traditional euro pale lager smell. The taste is almost nondescript; very, very faint grains, super light grassiness. The mouthfeel is very light, well carbonated, and smooth.

This lacks flavor. It's drinkable and refreshing but musty and forgettable. I'll pass in the future.

2.28/5  rDev -3%

A: A perfectly clear straw yellow pour. Medium-sized fizzy white head. Fades away fairly quickly. No sign of lacing at all. I know this isn't part of the normal appearance rating, but a green bottle? Really?

S: Smells kinda like rotten corn. There is a cereal-like grain hiding behind it too. A little bit of ashtray? Some odd mineral smell too.

T: More cereal grain and again a bad fermented corn kind of taste. Very watery.

M: Pretty much like water. Very thin. A tiny bit dry.

O: This is about as bad a beer as I've ever had. I left some room in the rankings for something truly awful but don't let that fool you - you're better off drinking almost anything other than this.

1.3/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I picked up a bottle of this to complete a mix pack at a supermarket.

A: Pours a very pale, clear gold with a fizzy white head that disappears in a matter of seconds. There really isn't much in the way of lacing, and I guess I shouldn't have expected there to be.

S: Very mild aromas of grain husks, lemon, minerals, and straw are present on the nose, though they only emerge once the beer has settled in the glass and started to warm a bit.

T: Fleeting suggestions of mineral water, lemon, straw, grass, grain husks, and cooked vegetables wash across the palate. Obviously this isn't the freshest bottle in the world. The finish is very quick and clipped with lemon and mineral water notes.

M: Very light in body and very dry. Carbonation is extremely spritzy. This feels more like mineral water than beer.

O: I'm really not impressed with this light lager. I think this may be a style that I should just avoid in the future, as it has no appeal to me.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I bought a 12pk of this from Woodman's for $12 in Janesville, WI in Winter 2011 but it was basically free after rebate which is the only reason I purchased it.

Pours a very pale, clear yellow that has a fast disappearing head even if you pour the beer way too quickly. Scent is that cheap grains which are musty to my nose. Taste is weak, very weak. This is barely a step up from water. This is basically water with a hint of beer. It amazes me how this stuff even sells on a regular basis. This is one of those beers that it should be ok for minors to buy due to its weakness. I'm glad it was free because at full price $12 was $12 too much.

2.36/5  rDev +0.4%

Grabbed a 5l keg to try out my new kegerator. After working out some kinks, same old lame heineken light taste.

Pours light golden, yellow, with significant bubbling. Head is bright white - this looks like a fairly flavorless light beer, but definitely more golden than Coors Light. Nose exhibits flat beer - and is very unattractive.

Taste is light pilsener. Nothing special, pretty bubbly, mostly like flavored water. Very light on the mouth. Overall a fairly average/below average light beer.

2.48/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving type: From the bottle to the judging tables (my mouth).

A: Couldn't tell you much. Drank this from the bottle. It's a traditional Heineken green bottle. The text is labeled differently from the regular bottle.

S: Smelled like sour grapes. Not sure why... it also tasted like sour grapes but we'll get to that in a bit...

T: So yeah, about those sour grapes... I'm not sure why I picked up sour grapes. I felt like I was sipping on a wine cooler at one point. It had a fruity, and sweet taste. It was followed up by a bitter taste from the hops to confirm it was indeed a beer. Very unexpected. I suspect that these bottles were sitting in the back of the fridge for awhile. They were at a family function where wine and booze are the primary beverages and the host keeps "backup" beer in the back of the fridge.

M: For a light beer, this had a pretty tolerable amount of carbonation. I was not overwhelmed and it was not a total waste of my taste buds. Went down and stayed down, that's all I cared about for the time being.

Overall: I am not a light beer drinker. This is what was offered. I did not particularly enjoy this but a light beer is a light beer. No damage done. I'd certainly reach for this beer over the mainstream light beers.

So why does Henie need a light version? I dunno. This is basically Heineken cut with (more) water. Everything is diluted. Appearance, even more straw yellow, more white head, disappears even faster. Aroma, less skunky, but I liked the skunk.

Taste, less skunky, but I buy Heineken when I wants me some skunk. In the words of the Circle Jerks, "I just want some skunk." Well, close enough. Anyways, the water downplays the zestiness, even the carbonation. I can imagine the making of a Heineken light 12 pack.

Take Heineken 6 pack. Add equal parts water to the beer. Voila! 12 pack of Heinecken light.

2.52/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Beer pours a clear and very yellow, looks like light beer.... about a finger worth of head after a hard pour that dissipated very quickly. No lacing. Smell was grainy and skunky... not much good here. Smells like Euro light beer. Taste is just like the smell... corny and grainy, but oddly the shunkiness is not here... Tastes like average Euro Light. Mouthfeel is crisp, but nor as carbonated as I was expecting. Pretty average. Overall it is not the worst Euro Light I've ever had.... but not worth running after... Decent

2.15/5  rDev -8.5%

pours a super clear pale yellow / light gold tone while yielding a short lived fizzy white head, maybe a finger of which.

nose offers some grainy and floral hoppy notes. not impressive by any stretch of the imagination but i've certainly smelled a lot worse. not exactly a ringing endorsement, nor is it mean to be.

flavor is worse. tastes just like a watered down heineken... i supposed that shouldn't come as a great surprise. muted grainy notes with a speck of hops in the background, but just highly 'meh'. light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

over, as light beer beer goes this is okay, which is not saying much at all. it doesn't trigger the gag reflex or anything but i can't think of a good enough reason for ever drinking it again.

1.22/5  rDev -48.1%

The beer poured a clear, more so golden than straw color with a frothy, thick white head that retained fairly well.

It smelled like regular Heineken (pale malts, light hops, etc.), but was very skunky and off-putting. Although the aroma was very light, there was a nose full of stale/skunked malts and water. It was almost sickening.

For the taste, it was almost unbearable. It tasted much like the aroma- skunked malts and stale hops with carbonated water.

I hope that keg was old, because if it was fresh, then may God have mercy on the brewers who made this garbage. I believe this is the first beer I've ever had that I simply could not finish nor find anything positive about.

2.29/5  rDev -2.6%

I think there's some sort of canning/date code on the bottom of the can, but I can't decipher it. I'm curious to taste the "special Heineken horizontal fermentation method." Interesting that the can includes calories/carbs/protein/fat info... I thought that was illegal in this country?

This pours very light, very clear, and the head starts out pretty good: rolling hills of fluffy near-pure-white. But that disappears pretty quickly and leaves next to nothing. It's really hard to identify a smell, but that's better than a bad smell. Taste is exceedingly watery. Thankfully it contains nothing of the obligatory skunkiness found in regular Heineken. Tastes a little flat. Would probably be better ice-cold.

At the end of the day, it's not good, but it's not offensive either. I've had worse.

2.31/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Pours a bright yellow color with a small white foam head with minimal retention. There is some very spotty lacing.

S: Skunk, light toasted white bread, crackers and grassy hops.

T: From start to finish this beer has the same taste. There is some light crackers, toasted white bread and some skunk.

M: Was expected a slightly cleaner taste, but the skunked flavor is the lasting taste on the palate. Light and thin.

O: Not a light lager that I would reach for. Lacks in taste and the skunk flavor is too overpowering.

2.78/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer pours a copper color, with actually a larger head. The smell can only be described as a skunk spraying, just horrible. The taste is light, a tad matly, just a little bit of a skunk flavor. It actually isnt too difficult to drink, and its a bit heavier for a light beer. Overall for a light beer, this so far takes the cake, much better then other light lagers, I could actually go for another.

2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a clear straw color from a 16 oz can.
Two finger foamy head that dissipates slowly.
Aroma is malty with hints of grass and some sweet sugars.
Taste is very watery, almost bland.
Part of an elite group of beers that might actually make me quit drinking beers.

2.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a 2" head which recedes medium quick. Clear light straw yellow in color. Smells with hints of skunking and wee little grass and malt. Taste is watery but a touch sweet and a hint of malt. Finish is light and disappears fast. So folks, why is this such a huge seller? It's because it's so watery and inoffensive you'd give it to your children were it not for having alcohol content.

3.46/5  rDev +47.2%

As an avid homebrewer and drinker of many types of beer, I can honestly say that, for a Light beer, I find this to be very refreshing... especially on a hot summer day barbecuing in the backyard. I never was a big fan of Heineken unless I was getting them for 50 cents a bottle in Las Vegas, but I must say that I can easily put a few of these down. This is a decent Light beer, and cost me $6.49/6 at Total Wine. I'm about to go get another one after writing this review! I guess the key word here is "refreshing'. It all comes down to what you are in the mood for. If you're having some company over for the day go out and buy a case or two of this brew and drop it in a large bucket of ice. I'm sure nobody will complain.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: 1 inch head, pale yellow in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: weak combo of straw and adjunct malt

Taste: light straw and grain..maybe some bark

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, watery,sweet but the taste is really faint

Overall: I have nothing against light beers, but this one really does taste like water. Refreshing yes, but not what I am going to go for when I want a beer. Still sadly better then the original version.

2.65/5  rDev +12.8%

Heineken Premium Light has a thick, white head and a clear, pale straw appearance with a fair amount of bubbles streaming up. Surprisingly, some decent lacing is left behind. The aroma is initially skunky and then faint barley takes over, and that's it. Taste is water, water everywhere, with some mild barley notes- that's it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Heineken Premium Light finishes crisp, refreshing (like water), and pretty dry. Overall, water is cheaper, so go with that. Heineken is good; this ain't.

1.68/5  rDev -28.5%

12 oz green bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
Calories 99, Carbs 6.8 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 0 g, 0219528H1131.

A - I'm hard-pressed to think of a more pale beer than this. This brew is crystal clear with a billowing white head. Nice retention and incredibly solid lace adorns the glass.

S - I poured this one my desk two feet from my face and the second the beer hit the glass it smelled like a skunk ripped ass in my room. Like, true, honest-to-God skunk. This beer defines skunk aroma. Besides that, there is a sliver of pale malt, but not much.

T - And here I thought Sol (my previous review) had no flavor. If you don't inhale through your nose while sipping, this has no flavor what-so-ever. Actually, I lie. There is a microscopic hint of corn.

M - Thin, light-bodied, and smooth with a refreshing water-like finish. Low carbonation and a touch on the dry side.

O - My friend from the Netherlands would be pissed to see this review, but thankfully he's not on BA. Seriously though, Miller 64 has more flavor than this. I could put these down before, during, and after a marathon. You could also use this to hydrate after a long day of drinking...or mask your scent while hunting. I will hand it to Heineken though, they do a fantastic job on marketing and design.

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy. The taste is the same as the nose. Light Body. Again another lame attempt for a beer. What a waste of a bottle.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

This brew was one of my early beers I had, I actually stole a bottom from a friends parents fridge hoping they wouldn't notice. As far as I know they never noticed. Anyway the beer was decent at the time but since then I've had much better. The beer looks much like regular Heineken and smells the too. the taste is just a little more watered down.

2.51/5  rDev +6.8%

Straight out of the 12 ounce bottle and into a pint glass.

A - Has the typical pale yellow body with a frothy white head that has little to no retention.

S - To me, I found it to be less skunky than other Heinies I've had. I doubt that can be attributed to this being the light model, but I thought I'd mention it.

T - Lemon and corn husks are dominant. Skunkiness is so minimal that it actually works here. Typical off putting metallicness.

M - Crisp and refreshing. It's light bodied and nicely carbonated.

D - Fairly drinkable and not offensive in any way. As a direct comparison, I much preferred the now defunct Rock Green Light.

2.03/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost clear piss coloured yellow hints. Lots of carbonation but very little head. Served ice cold. Smells like nothing. Maybe a touch of some malts but really not much. Tastes like water with some light maltiness but not much. Okay mouthfeel. Overly carbonated for my tastes. But fairly drinkable as a light lager

Again had this at a cocktail hour last night with little to choose from. Hey, why not try it and give it a chance.

Yellow and fizzy for sure. Not much nose, other than a bitter smell coming from it. Hard to detect much when you don't like the smell.

Taste was just about as bad. Bitter, grainy taste with little else. Light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

This is a good dollar beer night beer. Couldn't wait to get home and get something hoppy with a little flavor to it!

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.