Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,282 | Hads: 4,355
Reviews by BeerDocT:
3.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I cannot believe I reviewed 274 beers before I made it to Heineken. An old favorite.

Appearance 3.25: Pours out a pale yellow with very little head. No lacing. Completely translucent.

Smell 3.25: Yep, that's a lager! Typical bubblegum/phenol lager bouquet with a slight hint of hops and yeast.

Taste 3.25: Front is slightly sweet and this fades immediately into the middle where a big wave of light malt and lagery bubblegum await. Finish is where a slight hoppiness pops up briefly only to fade away into a wave of sweet malt and nice taste of yeast. This, in turn, fades into a certain dryness that slowly creeps into the aftertaste, which is grainy and mysteriously satisfying.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Great mouthfeel for the style.

Overall 3.25: Lagers are lagers and this one is one of the best, which isn't saying much. It's always trendy to slam the "mega-brews," but there is a reason Heineken is one of the world's most popular: it's actually pretty good. Excellent with all food types, this Dutch juggernaut just keeps on rolling after all these years. Certainly not one of the best beers in the world, it is, nonetheless, one of the better lagers and imminently sessionable. Found 24 of them on sale for $20 at Total Wine in Atlanta and could not say no. (1,263 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a funny thing,or should I say "Personal Taste in Beer is a funny thing"~I Suppose Beer is just like anything else,what I myself find top notch and stellar,the next guy may find to be pure crap,guess that is what makes the world go round eh? and what a boring place this would be if we all liked the same tastes,smells,flavors ..and so on & so forth,..However it really blows my mind that "Heineken" is sooo poorly rated here on this site, "Heineken" a Poor Beer?..seriously? now I totaly understand that Heineken is far from a world class beer,and there are much better beers out there,I am sorry,but by no stretch of the Imagination is Heineken a "Poor Beer"..it is a smooth,easy drinking,Crisp Lager,and I pretty much suspect a lot of the "Poor" reviews are from "Hop Heads" and IPA Fanboys that bash every Beer with an IBU less then 80,I just find it almost impossible to believe that the average beer drinker[guys like me] would cringe in horror @ the thought of having to consume an Ice cold Heineken,utter Bulls*&t IMHO,to be fair,I drink a lot of Heineken & perhaps am a bit biased,but I Honestly enjoy it a gr8 deal,and think it is a wonderful Mass produced Macro Lager Beer~and how the "Beer Snobs" LOVE to bash ALL Macro Beers,but I myself personaly feel that "Macro Brewed Beer" has it's place in the wonderful world of beer,and I am not the least bit ashamed to say that,I drink ALL kinds of beer,from small batches of special seasonal beers from Micro breweries,to Chocolate stouts & Porters,Wheat ales,IPA's,APA's,Scottish ales,English Ales,and a Ton of others,and YES! I like some "Macro Brewed Beer" also,and to me, "Heineken" is a glowing example of just how damn good a "Macro brewed Beer" can actually be~Cheers. (1,739 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here. (85 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a good beer to review to set it apart from mass produced craft beer and mass produced overpriced lagers. This is a common beer that seems to blur the lines between the two, but I am here to put that to a stop once and for all.

Look: Very light gold, with lazy streams of carbonation and a towering white head. The head diminishes down to a half centimeter ring and veil. There was very loose lacing that did not last. When everything is settled the veil turns weird and choppy that breaks up with each sip and looks like rotten milk or yogurt. Not very appealing.

Smell: The aroma presents an upfront rush of lager yeast, a corn-like sweetness, and a bit of milled grain. It is somewhat one dimensional but is somehow mildly appealing.

Taste: Light malty corn sweetness, a slight tang from the yeast, a bit of dry green apple, and watery alcohol. It is loose overall but undeniably drinkable, especially on a hot day.

Feel: Light, crisp, loose, and slightly dry at the end. It is just about as light as you can get a lager without making it a light beer. The flavor relies on yeast and is completely void of hops. This is what we in the craft beer industry call a mistake.

Overall: This beer is simple to sum up; it is too light to really call it craft beer and would be good on a hot day but with so many other great choices you are better off with an easy drinking pale ale or bock without sacrificing flavor. Heineken is simply overpriced but I'd rather see it on the shelf than Budweiser. (1,507 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the worst beers ever made (32 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -1.8%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend. (1,366 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +42.4%

Wonderful golden yellow appearance. Thick white head that sticks around a bit. Shows good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma with hops present but not dominant. Terrific, round taste. Sweetness from the malts. Hops balance the beer nicely. Good mouthfeel. Medium finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. Overall, A really nice beer. Easy drinking and not too taxing on the palate. I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this can was, since the beer was canned a year ago.

24 oz can
Date on can: 4069 (March 10, 2014)
Served in a Pilsner glass (542 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like Heineken - it just hits the spot sometimes. The intentionally skunky smell and taste, and the yeasty back of the mouth feel overpowers the adjuncts, and lack of body for me. Certainly not a "craft beer" - but it can be mass produced and taste good, at the right time of course! (293 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Clear, wan yellow hue, big sturdy head that holds at first, then settles to a slim layer of white...

Nose is not my cuppa. Too easy to call it skunky, but it's a typical lager-y smell, not one I particularly like, and find hard to describe without getting into vulgarities. Designed for people who have no intentioin of inhaling the aroma, or who've settled for the bottom. (not true, there's lots worse)...

Taste: Big carbonation, small flavor. Soft and creamy at the start, very clean, smooth, with a grainy aspect riding at the forefront of the palate, drifting back. Leaves easy, soon forgotten. Brilliant tactic, as the thirsty imbiber will have dismissed any memory of it's faint flavor and wispy character.

Nothing that terrible, really, it's "just beer." Which is why this is one of the most popular in the world. I spent more time in it's company than I do any of my favorite's, not due to any desire, but through my occupation: I serve beer, and that's what my customers clamor for, Lord love 'em.

Oddly, in bottles, I'm often put-off more than I am by this can. Makes me wonder if it's somehow even more superior on draft?

And P.S., I really thought I'd end up knocking this, but, hey, it is what it is.
"beer"... (1,241 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.01/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig. (985 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale straw color with one of the flimsiest, bright-white heads around that dissipates quick and reduces to a barely noticeable ring within seconds. Nose is grainy, metallic, and slightly skunky. Who would have thought, given the green bottles? My palate is picking up a grainy backbone with an astringent, off-putting bitterness that doesn't contain much hop aroma or flavor, just a chalky bitterness that crushes the grain profile. Thin, clean, crisp finish with maybe a hint of grapes or apple skins in the final touch, but it's barely enough to save this one. The metallic flavor becomes more noticeable near the end of the brew, kind of like a heavy copper-ish smell and taste. The body is thinner than thin and the carbonation is relatively high.

Bleh, I'm not a fan of this one at all. Hated this when I first tried it, long ago. Tried it again thinking maybe I was just inexperienced earlier - still don't care for it. (934 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

Quality ingredients, smooth malt flavor, and sharp hops all ruined by that stupid green bottle. Usually the beer is skunky, so it just makes me blanche. When it's not skunky, an above average lager. It beats the hell out of any US production beer though, except for Sam Adams. (276 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +14.4%

Don't touch my heiny! Heineken Lager 5% alcohol.

A- Very clean, crystal clear, straw yellow yellow fluid with foamy almost soapy head that falls to an almost icy head that linger around for the most part of the beer. Minimal lace retention.

S- Smell is very familiar of American adjunct lager. Mild sweet malts with hints of corn and funky hops.

T- Greatly improved flavor then the smell with multiple upgrades. The taste evolves to a sweet corn beginning that turns to a malty feel followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is mostly mild and dry with minimal offensivness. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable in mass drinking situations. (654 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

4.33/5  rDev +55.8%

I recently bought one of the mini-kegs of Heineken and was very impressed. In the mini-keg the beer lost all of it's usual skunky characteristics and really became a nice drinkable lager. The malty sweetness came through and was backed up nicely by a slight hop bitterness in the finish. If your gonna drink this beer, get it in the keg cans or the mini-keg. It's very fresh and very tasty. (390 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -37.1%

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours from the bottle a pale yellow hue not uncommon for most euro lagers. A small, slightly fizzy white head tops off the brew. Aromas bring a sweet grain maltiness that has a subtle fruitiness. Herbal hops are there with the requisite light skunkiness that almost always accompanies Heineken when bought in the green bottle. However, it doesn't detract too much.

First sip brings a crisp, light pale toasted cereal grain maltiness. Light hints of fruit swirl through and it flows down with a grassy, herbal hop flavor. Slight skunkiness in there as well. It finishes crisp with a lingering toasted grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and ends up being refreshing. Not a beer I would actively seek out, but I don't mind having it now and again at a party or when it's offered to me. One of the better mass produced euro pale lagers. (898 characters)

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.