Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Ratings: 4,331 | Reviews: 1,401
Reviews by DMarlinJ:
3.93/5  rDev +45%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a funny thing,or should I say "Personal Taste in Beer is a funny thing"~I Suppose Beer is just like anything else,what I myself find top notch and stellar,the next guy may find to be pure crap,guess that is what makes the world go round eh? and what a boring place this would be if we all liked the same tastes,smells,flavors ..and so on & so forth,..However it really blows my mind that "Heineken" is sooo poorly rated here on this site, "Heineken" a Poor Beer?..seriously? now I totaly understand that Heineken is far from a world class beer,and there are much better beers out there,I am sorry,but by no stretch of the Imagination is Heineken a "Poor Beer"..it is a smooth,easy drinking,Crisp Lager,and I pretty much suspect a lot of the "Poor" reviews are from "Hop Heads" and IPA Fanboys that bash every Beer with an IBU less then 80,I just find it almost impossible to believe that the average beer drinker[guys like me] would cringe in horror @ the thought of having to consume an Ice cold Heineken,utter Bulls*&t IMHO,to be fair,I drink a lot of Heineken & perhaps am a bit biased,but I Honestly enjoy it a gr8 deal,and think it is a wonderful Mass produced Macro Lager Beer~and how the "Beer Snobs" LOVE to bash ALL Macro Beers,but I myself personaly feel that "Macro Brewed Beer" has it's place in the wonderful world of beer,and I am not the least bit ashamed to say that,I drink ALL kinds of beer,from small batches of special seasonal beers from Micro breweries,to Chocolate stouts & Porters,Wheat ales,IPA's,APA's,Scottish ales,English Ales,and a Ton of others,and YES! I like some "Macro Brewed Beer" also,and to me, "Heineken" is a glowing example of just how damn good a "Macro brewed Beer" can actually be~Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the worst beers ever made

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend.

3.96/5  rDev +46.1%

Wonderful golden yellow appearance. Thick white head that sticks around a bit. Shows good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma with hops present but not dominant. Terrific, round taste. Sweetness from the malts. Hops balance the beer nicely. Good mouthfeel. Medium finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. Overall, A really nice beer. Easy drinking and not too taxing on the palate. I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this can was, since the beer was canned a year ago.

24 oz can
Date on can: 4069 (March 10, 2014)
Served in a Pilsner glass

2.96/5  rDev +9.2%

Clear, wan yellow hue, big sturdy head that holds at first, then settles to a slim layer of white...

Nose is not my cuppa. Too easy to call it skunky, but it's a typical lager-y smell, not one I particularly like, and find hard to describe without getting into vulgarities. Designed for people who have no intentioin of inhaling the aroma, or who've settled for the bottom. (not true, there's lots worse)...

Taste: Big carbonation, small flavor. Soft and creamy at the start, very clean, smooth, with a grainy aspect riding at the forefront of the palate, drifting back. Leaves easy, soon forgotten. Brilliant tactic, as the thirsty imbiber will have dismissed any memory of it's faint flavor and wispy character.

Nothing that terrible, really, it's "just beer." Which is why this is one of the most popular in the world. I spent more time in it's company than I do any of my favorite's, not due to any desire, but through my occupation: I serve beer, and that's what my customers clamor for, Lord love 'em.

Oddly, in bottles, I'm often put-off more than I am by this can. Makes me wonder if it's somehow even more superior on draft?

And P.S., I really thought I'd end up knocking this, but, hey, it is what it is.
"beer"...

2.01/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig.

1.55/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale straw color with one of the flimsiest, bright-white heads around that dissipates quick and reduces to a barely noticeable ring within seconds. Nose is grainy, metallic, and slightly skunky. Who would have thought, given the green bottles? My palate is picking up a grainy backbone with an astringent, off-putting bitterness that doesn't contain much hop aroma or flavor, just a chalky bitterness that crushes the grain profile. Thin, clean, crisp finish with maybe a hint of grapes or apple skins in the final touch, but it's barely enough to save this one. The metallic flavor becomes more noticeable near the end of the brew, kind of like a heavy copper-ish smell and taste. The body is thinner than thin and the carbonation is relatively high.

Bleh, I'm not a fan of this one at all. Hated this when I first tried it, long ago. Tried it again thinking maybe I was just inexperienced earlier - still don't care for it.

3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

Quality ingredients, smooth malt flavor, and sharp hops all ruined by that stupid green bottle. Usually the beer is skunky, so it just makes me blanche. When it's not skunky, an above average lager. It beats the hell out of any US production beer though, except for Sam Adams.

3.18/5  rDev +17.3%

Don't touch my heiny! Heineken Lager 5% alcohol.

A- Very clean, crystal clear, straw yellow yellow fluid with foamy almost soapy head that falls to an almost icy head that linger around for the most part of the beer. Minimal lace retention.

S- Smell is very familiar of American adjunct lager. Mild sweet malts with hints of corn and funky hops.

T- Greatly improved flavor then the smell with multiple upgrades. The taste evolves to a sweet corn beginning that turns to a malty feel followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is mostly mild and dry with minimal offensivness. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable in mass drinking situations.

4.33/5  rDev +59.8%

I recently bought one of the mini-kegs of Heineken and was very impressed. In the mini-keg the beer lost all of it's usual skunky characteristics and really became a nice drinkable lager. The malty sweetness came through and was backed up nicely by a slight hop bitterness in the finish. If your gonna drink this beer, get it in the keg cans or the mini-keg. It's very fresh and very tasty.

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours from the bottle a pale yellow hue not uncommon for most euro lagers. A small, slightly fizzy white head tops off the brew. Aromas bring a sweet grain maltiness that has a subtle fruitiness. Herbal hops are there with the requisite light skunkiness that almost always accompanies Heineken when bought in the green bottle. However, it doesn't detract too much.

First sip brings a crisp, light pale toasted cereal grain maltiness. Light hints of fruit swirl through and it flows down with a grassy, herbal hop flavor. Slight skunkiness in there as well. It finishes crisp with a lingering toasted grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and ends up being refreshing. Not a beer I would actively seek out, but I don't mind having it now and again at a party or when it's offered to me. One of the better mass produced euro pale lagers.

2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

This is one of those beers appropriate if you're looking wake up in the morning around the toilet. It doesn't have a terrible taste but the smell is horrendous. Also, I don't recommend it for any significant food pairing because of the potent aftertaste.

1.65/5  rDev -39.1%

What on Earth is this weak lager? Often touted as a high class beer (probably because suckers pay import prices), this little green bottle does nothing other than appear to be a brew and let off nothing distinctive.

I'd honestly take a Rolling Rock any day over this, at least there's no pretending on that end.

A bit of metal, a bit of bland yeastiness, and no alcoholic taste (I guess that's OK) and you don't even think you're drinking a real beer. This is not suggested.

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

In my younger days I thought this was a really good beer. A pale yellow color, pretty carbonated. Faint grain (corn) aroma. Virtually no taste. Somewhat refreshing, but then, so is water. No mystique to this beer. It probably is a better entry-level beer than Bud or Miller, but not one I'd want to drink regularly.

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Really nice beer in comparison to other production beers.

3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

7 onz green bottle

Appearance : Straw yellow color with a small line of bubbles ahead that goes away instantly.

Smell : Grains, some hops far away.

Taste : Some hops in there, some maltiness and sourness in the mouth after drink in it.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability : Easy-to-drink beer, nice one,overprice maybe. The 7 onz bottle have good and bad things, good - It would be cold 'till the end and bad - two sips and is over.

2.1/5  rDev -22.5%

It was this or Corona or Miller Lite on a Delta flight. Those were my choices so I chose Heineken.
I can't believe I liked this stuff once.
Maybe it's OK for the style and I'm being too harsh but it poured flat with no head and no lace.
Bubbly dull taste that left me flat.
I switched to wine.

2.9/5  rDev +7%

This beer is far from good. It isnt that bad either. It's bitter to start, but that isnt ALWAYS bad. It is a popular beer and it is a step up from the Bud and Coors line of beers, so it give it credit for that, but it falls far short of a beer i would drink regularly. Once you get past the biterness it has a steady refined flavor, not wonderfull but not swill. I'm sure it must taste better in europe fresh.

2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Got this on tap at BW3's, a crowded place with what I assumed was high turnover of their barrels. Beer was dark golden color, nice hop aroma, nice carmel malt and hop first taste, but it thinned out pretty quick. I'll take it over Bud and Miller, but only if a micro brew is not available

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass. There was no freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Its color was a bright straw yellow with very good clarity and some nice visible carbonation. The head was bright white in color, average in size but fades out fast leaving not much in the way of lace.

Smell: The aroma had a fairly clean light grain and light floral hops with just the slightest funk.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor is clean and crisp. Malt flavor is light with a dry biscuit like grain mixed with some very light floral hops. The body is light with a thin easy drinking texture. Its carbonation is balanced and the finish is fairly dry, clean and crisp.

Notes: This is your very simple, basic Euro lager for trendy people to say hey look at me I'm drinking an import. Still it's not bad.

3.2/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

An attainable and decent introduction to European beers. Has nice carbonation out of the bottle. I never really enjoyed Heineken on draft or out of the can, but have always enjoyed this one from the bottle. A classic beer and cool branding keeps this beer alive for generations to come.

3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Served in a bottle from Holland... and apparently the Holland brewed stuff is much better than from here (I cannot vouch for the truth of this statement), so let's give it a shot.

Pours and average straw gold, minimal head, not much smell to speak of. Smells like... beer. With a hint of skunk, but nothing that comes in a green bottle would stereotypically lead me to believe.

Tastes like a jacked-up version of a standard macro lager, not as wimpy but not adventurous. A sticky malt taste, some toasty flavors, a mid-range hop smack, and that's about it.

Howeverm very drinkable. Not a "thinker" beer, but I'd have a few in front of a [insert sport] game.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a crystal clear bright golden straw color with a decent white head.

smells of light malt and honey.

taste is more of the same light maltiness with noticeable hints of honey and finishes kind of funky. The finish is really bad.

Mouthfeel is light and good carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

It's a Heineken.

1.7/5  rDev -37.3%

A- Super pale straw. Half finger white head fades quickly leaving a little lacing.

S- Corn, pale malt sweetness and a hint of skunk fill the nose. There is more smell than I expected, but it isn't particularly good.

T- Bleh! Huge skunk overpowers everything else. There is a bit of sweetness in the middle and what would be a nice balancing bitterness in the end if it weren't for that huge amount of skunk. Nothing could balance that much skunkiness.

M- Light and bubbly with a little creaminess it feels good in the mouth with crisp carbonation.

D- Without the skunk this would be a nice beer, it feels good in the mouth and smells and looks like most lagers, but that skunk flavor is a killer.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.