Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,310 | Hads: 4,496
Reviews by mickstepp:
1.29/5  rDev -53.1%

I'm working from notes here since I had this at a friend's house a few days ago. I don't really feel that I need the notes though since this used to be a staple of mine before I discovered real beer. Typical yellow lager color with a thin and short lived head. Boy do I remember that smell which I used to think was exotic because it contrasted so sharply with the smell of American macros. Now I understand that it is the smell of a spoiled (aka skunked) beer. The taste is just as revolting as the smell. The only time I ever had an unspoiled Heineken was on tap in a bar in Brussels and my recollection is that without the "skunk" it tastes just like every other macro brewed lager..bland and without distinction. Don't buy into the marketing campaign and don't buy this lousy beer.

3.93/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a funny thing,or should I say "Personal Taste in Beer is a funny thing"~I Suppose Beer is just like anything else,what I myself find top notch and stellar,the next guy may find to be pure crap,guess that is what makes the world go round eh? and what a boring place this would be if we all liked the same tastes,smells,flavors ..and so on & so forth,..However it really blows my mind that "Heineken" is sooo poorly rated here on this site, "Heineken" a Poor Beer?..seriously? now I totaly understand that Heineken is far from a world class beer,and there are much better beers out there,I am sorry,but by no stretch of the Imagination is Heineken a "Poor Beer"..it is a smooth,easy drinking,Crisp Lager,and I pretty much suspect a lot of the "Poor" reviews are from "Hop Heads" and IPA Fanboys that bash every Beer with an IBU less then 80,I just find it almost impossible to believe that the average beer drinker[guys like me] would cringe in horror @ the thought of having to consume an Ice cold Heineken,utter Bulls*&t IMHO,to be fair,I drink a lot of Heineken & perhaps am a bit biased,but I Honestly enjoy it a gr8 deal,and think it is a wonderful Mass produced Macro Lager Beer~and how the "Beer Snobs" LOVE to bash ALL Macro Beers,but I myself personaly feel that "Macro Brewed Beer" has it's place in the wonderful world of beer,and I am not the least bit ashamed to say that,I drink ALL kinds of beer,from small batches of special seasonal beers from Micro breweries,to Chocolate stouts & Porters,Wheat ales,IPA's,APA's,Scottish ales,English Ales,and a Ton of others,and YES! I like some "Macro Brewed Beer" also,and to me, "Heineken" is a glowing example of just how damn good a "Macro brewed Beer" can actually be~Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here.

3.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a good beer to review to set it apart from mass produced craft beer and mass produced overpriced lagers. This is a common beer that seems to blur the lines between the two, but I am here to put that to a stop once and for all.

Look: Very light gold, with lazy streams of carbonation and a towering white head. The head diminishes down to a half centimeter ring and veil. There was very loose lacing that did not last. When everything is settled the veil turns weird and choppy that breaks up with each sip and looks like rotten milk or yogurt. Not very appealing.

Smell: The aroma presents an upfront rush of lager yeast, a corn-like sweetness, and a bit of milled grain. It is somewhat one dimensional but is somehow mildly appealing.

Taste: Light malty corn sweetness, a slight tang from the yeast, a bit of dry green apple, and watery alcohol. It is loose overall but undeniably drinkable, especially on a hot day.

Feel: Light, crisp, loose, and slightly dry at the end. It is just about as light as you can get a lager without making it a light beer. The flavor relies on yeast and is completely void of hops.

Overall: This beer is simple to sum up; it is too light to really call it craft beer and would be good on a hot day but with so many other great choices you are better off with an easy drinking pale ale or bock without sacrificing flavor.

1.67/5  rDev -39.3%

Never like this beer much. Just hadn't ever rated it so I thought I would. Hate the smell. Regular boring looking lager. Hate the way it smells. Taste is not tat much better, and that's what I really care about. Feel? Whatever, didn't care.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the worst beers ever made

2.97/5  rDev +8%

For me, not a terrible euro lager. It's best qualities are that it is somewhat crisp and refreshing under the right circumstances.(hot summer) However, it is mostly bland; not much aroma(some malt) mostly watery taste with a hint of hops. That's about it.

2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

when first opened it smells like an arsehole,the taste isnt as bad as the smell but its a pretty poor beer overall.still,its not as bad as some of its "competitors".

1.99/5  rDev -27.6%

I had this beer from a can of 500 ml.

Look: The body is dark yellow, looks like an American adjunct lager, is transparent and has a very visible carbonation. The one-finger head has a barm and recedes to a film with some lacings.

Smell: Because I had this beer from a can, you can smell the hops and some sweetness. Nothing more, nothing less.

Taste: I will divide this segment in two parts. Whilst the head or the thin layer is still there, the palate leaves us under the impression we are tasting a few drops of raw sugar combined with hops. As a result of that, the beer's bitterness is very low. Once the beer becomes flat, it oxidizes in that there will be a taste of skunk from the front to the back end. The skunk will also be on the nose.

Feel: The mouth-feel is akin to water that has been made just bitter enough, but not too much to make the masses run away. Nothing impressive.

Overall: Avoid Heineken at all costs! Unfortunately, this is a beer that is meant to be consumed quickly before it loses its simplistic taste. It is mostly watery and has a small hint of hops. That is pretty much it.

2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

Been a long time since I tasted this. But from my non beer drinking experiencing, this tasted kinda like a skunk, so I wouldn't buy this at all. Quite popular to Hennessy drinkers that I have noticed.

3.96/5  rDev +44%

Wonderful golden yellow appearance. Thick white head that sticks around a bit. Shows good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma with hops present but not dominant. Terrific, round taste. Sweetness from the malts. Hops balance the beer nicely. Good mouthfeel. Medium finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. Overall, A really nice beer. Easy drinking and not too taxing on the palate. I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this can was, since the beer was canned a year ago.

24 oz can
Date on can: 4069 (March 10, 2014)
Served in a Pilsner glass

1.14/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Might be one of my all time least favorites. Doesn't lack flavor like most beers in this style but it has a flavor that's offensive to me for some reason.

4.27/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like Heineken - it just hits the spot sometimes. The intentionally skunky smell and taste, and the yeasty back of the mouth feel overpowers the adjuncts, and lack of body for me. Certainly not a "craft beer" - but it can be mass produced and taste good, at the right time of course!

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Clear, wan yellow hue, big sturdy head that holds at first, then settles to a slim layer of white...

Nose is not my cuppa. Too easy to call it skunky, but it's a typical lager-y smell, not one I particularly like, and find hard to describe without getting into vulgarities. Designed for people who have no intentioin of inhaling the aroma, or who've settled for the bottom. (not true, there's lots worse)...

Taste: Big carbonation, small flavor. Soft and creamy at the start, very clean, smooth, with a grainy aspect riding at the forefront of the palate, drifting back. Leaves easy, soon forgotten. Brilliant tactic, as the thirsty imbiber will have dismissed any memory of it's faint flavor and wispy character.

Nothing that terrible, really, it's "just beer." Which is why this is one of the most popular in the world. I spent more time in it's company than I do any of my favorite's, not due to any desire, but through my occupation: I serve beer, and that's what my customers clamor for, Lord love 'em.

Oddly, in bottles, I'm often put-off more than I am by this can. Makes me wonder if it's somehow even more superior on draft?

And P.S., I really thought I'd end up knocking this, but, hey, it is what it is.

2.7/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.01/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig.

1.55/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale straw color with one of the flimsiest, bright-white heads around that dissipates quick and reduces to a barely noticeable ring within seconds. Nose is grainy, metallic, and slightly skunky. Who would have thought, given the green bottles? My palate is picking up a grainy backbone with an astringent, off-putting bitterness that doesn't contain much hop aroma or flavor, just a chalky bitterness that crushes the grain profile. Thin, clean, crisp finish with maybe a hint of grapes or apple skins in the final touch, but it's barely enough to save this one. The metallic flavor becomes more noticeable near the end of the brew, kind of like a heavy copper-ish smell and taste. The body is thinner than thin and the carbonation is relatively high.

Bleh, I'm not a fan of this one at all. Hated this when I first tried it, long ago. Tried it again thinking maybe I was just inexperienced earlier - still don't care for it.

3.33/5  rDev +21.1%

Quality ingredients, smooth malt flavor, and sharp hops all ruined by that stupid green bottle. Usually the beer is skunky, so it just makes me blanche. When it's not skunky, an above average lager. It beats the hell out of any US production beer though, except for Sam Adams.

3.18/5  rDev +15.6%

Don't touch my heiny! Heineken Lager 5% alcohol.

A- Very clean, crystal clear, straw yellow yellow fluid with foamy almost soapy head that falls to an almost icy head that linger around for the most part of the beer. Minimal lace retention.

S- Smell is very familiar of American adjunct lager. Mild sweet malts with hints of corn and funky hops.

T- Greatly improved flavor then the smell with multiple upgrades. The taste evolves to a sweet corn beginning that turns to a malty feel followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is mostly mild and dry with minimal offensivness. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable in mass drinking situations.

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.