Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Reviews by ssteakley:
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well the reviews are all over the place for this one. For Years Heineken was a premium Beer in Texas since we had certain state laws protecting the local breweries and imports were limited to those distributors that had paid their dues to the State Legislature. Heineken wil continue to have that prestige in Texas. I have not had one in a long time but I bought one today and I still like it.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend.

Clear, wan yellow hue, big sturdy head that holds at first, then settles to a slim layer of white...

Nose is not my cuppa. Too easy to call it skunky, but it's a typical lager-y smell, not one I particularly like, and find hard to describe without getting into vulgarities. Designed for people who have no intentioin of inhaling the aroma, or who've settled for the bottom. (not true, there's lots worse)...

Taste: Big carbonation, small flavor. Soft and creamy at the start, very clean, smooth, with a grainy aspect riding at the forefront of the palate, drifting back. Leaves easy, soon forgotten. Brilliant tactic, as the thirsty imbiber will have dismissed any memory of it's faint flavor and wispy character.

Nothing that terrible, really, it's "just beer." Which is why this is one of the most popular in the world. I spent more time in it's company than I do any of my favorite's, not due to any desire, but through my occupation: I serve beer, and that's what my customers clamor for, Lord love 'em.

Oddly, in bottles, I'm often put-off more than I am by this can. Makes me wonder if it's somehow even more superior on draft?

And P.S., I really thought I'd end up knocking this, but, hey, it is what it is.
"beer"...

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig.

1.53/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale straw color with one of the flimsiest, bright-white heads around that dissipates quick and reduces to a barely noticeable ring within seconds. Nose is grainy, metallic, and slightly skunky. Who would have thought, given the green bottles? My palate is picking up a grainy backbone with an astringent, off-putting bitterness that doesn't contain much hop aroma or flavor, just a chalky bitterness that crushes the grain profile. Thin, clean, crisp finish with maybe a hint of grapes or apple skins in the final touch, but it's barely enough to save this one. The metallic flavor becomes more noticeable near the end of the brew, kind of like a heavy copper-ish smell and taste. The body is thinner than thin and the carbonation is relatively high.

Bleh, I'm not a fan of this one at all. Hated this when I first tried it, long ago. Tried it again thinking maybe I was just inexperienced earlier - still don't care for it.

3.38/5  rDev +24.7%

Quality ingredients, smooth malt flavor, and sharp hops all ruined by that stupid green bottle. Usually the beer is skunky, so it just makes me blanche. When it's not skunky, an above average lager. It beats the hell out of any US production beer though, except for Sam Adams.

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Don't touch my heiny! Heineken Lager 5% alcohol.

A- Very clean, crystal clear, straw yellow yellow fluid with foamy almost soapy head that falls to an almost icy head that linger around for the most part of the beer. Minimal lace retention.

S- Smell is very familiar of American adjunct lager. Mild sweet malts with hints of corn and funky hops.

T- Greatly improved flavor then the smell with multiple upgrades. The taste evolves to a sweet corn beginning that turns to a malty feel followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M-D- Mouthfeel is mostly mild and dry with minimal offensivness. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable in mass drinking situations.

2.25/5  rDev -17%

2.25/5  rDev -17%

4.38/5  rDev +61.6%

I recently bought one of the mini-kegs of Heineken and was very impressed. In the mini-keg the beer lost all of it's usual skunky characteristics and really became a nice drinkable lager. The malty sweetness came through and was backed up nicely by a slight hop bitterness in the finish. If your gonna drink this beer, get it in the keg cans or the mini-keg. It's very fresh and very tasty.

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours from the bottle a pale yellow hue not uncommon for most euro lagers. A small, slightly fizzy white head tops off the brew. Aromas bring a sweet grain maltiness that has a subtle fruitiness. Herbal hops are there with the requisite light skunkiness that almost always accompanies Heineken when bought in the green bottle. However, it doesn't detract too much.

First sip brings a crisp, light pale toasted cereal grain maltiness. Light hints of fruit swirl through and it flows down with a grassy, herbal hop flavor. Slight skunkiness in there as well. It finishes crisp with a lingering toasted grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and ends up being refreshing. Not a beer I would actively seek out, but I don't mind having it now and again at a party or when it's offered to me. One of the better mass produced euro pale lagers.

4.75/5  rDev +75.3%

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

This is one of those beers appropriate if you're looking wake up in the morning around the toilet. It doesn't have a terrible taste but the smell is horrendous. Also, I don't recommend it for any significant food pairing because of the potent aftertaste.

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.