Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,310 | Hads: 4,502

For a pale lager, Beats Budweiser or any BMC macro. Really beyond that, not better than my Craft beers, But For Mass produced beer, This is a good offering. can skunk though. Be a good idea to get this one fresh if you can. Kegs would be best option.

This was my dad's beer, along with Samuel Adams so I grew up drinking this, he also bought me and my brother a 24 oz each for doing some yard work so the beer is still fresh in my mind, appearance is wonderful, and brings back great memories of siting out watching the beach with my Fiance and my friends, I dont know why but the green bottle just looks so, beautiful on the beach, The appearance has the looks of a fine pilsner, the smell varies, but last time I had it It smelled delicious, with alot of hops, almost tree like, the taste is the best part of it though, it taste like God giving you a kiss, they use alot of hops in making it so if your like me and you love that grassy taste you will love Heineken, just the right amount of bitterness, almost spicy, Mouth-feel is pretty good too, overall this is my Favorite beer, If I was a richer man I would drink this everyday, absolutely love it, and I believe it to be the best beer outside of heaven.

Heineken is the perfect beer! It is great in the bottle but it is even better on tap which I can only find at Hooters in New Castle, DE or Hooters in Tropicana Atlantic City anymore. Use to have it at TGI Fridays, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Cowboy Up. James Bond drinks it, enough said!

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

A pure malt beer honest, without chemical additives; do not know much about beer, I'm starting to take now, but for me it is one of the best cost-benefit in Brazil, at least inside where craft are hard to reach. Enough corn beer!

4.57/5  rDev +66.2%

A- It's got a very attractive appearance.

S- It's got a typical Smell of a Lager beer which I enjoy for sure.

T-I think it tastes wonderful! It's got a bitter sweet taste and it has a bit of a kick.

M- It goes down pretty smooth.

D- It's great with meals and it's also great by itself. This is one of my first beers actually. I think this is and Sam Adams Brown Ale are the beers that got me to love Beer. I love Heineken and I get it every now and then.

4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

the purffict ballance of sour malt and pungent hops, sightly to much carbonationin this one. this is an easey drinking beer. it pours a clear golden yellow with a good head to it. the first sip has you coming back for more. this is the top shelf of euro lagers

4.44/5  rDev +61.5%

Let me start out by saying that I have had many bottles and cans of Heiny in the States, as well as in Europe. Heiny on tap in Europe is a completely different beer. It' s not even remotely similar. I had this at the old Heineken Brewery which is now a museum in Amsterdam. For 7.50 Euro, you get a tour, (3) 33cl glasses of Heiny and you get to keep the glass. Remaining completely objective, I was floored by this beer. BRILLIANTLY clear light golden, forming a thick white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma is clean and crisp, with delicate floral hops, soft water, and a distant sweetness. Mouthfeel is extremely soft with a great wet finish. Carbonation is mild. Taste begins with lager yeast, minimal flavor hops, giving way to a pleasant and unique tea-like maltiness, followed by mild husken character and a soft, wet, well-balanced delicate bitterness with darjeeling/muscat character. This beer is infinitely superior to the many Heineken's I've had over the years from bottles and cans. Why they continue to bottle in green is beyond me. This is a wonderful brew, easy to drink, with alot of character and nuances.

4.42/5  rDev +60.7%

Pale straw, somewhat golden body, with a white head that dissipates to a half finger ring and leaves some traces of lacing.

The aroma is very pleasant. You get an initial sweetness, some pale barley malt, and hops.

Lightly toasted pale malts, earthy hops.

The mouthfeel is thin to medium.

This a tasty, full-flavored brew that's light on the stomach. You could drink this all day.

4.42/5  rDev +60.7%

In BC we now have a 5L keg for sale at the liquor stores. Kegs=no skunk=good rating

Appearance: Lager style light yellow with a billowing head on the pour. The keg may have been tapped a little too soon.

Smell: The aromas are much that same as the bottled product. Spicy hoppiness, but without the nasty skunk smell.

Taste: Sweet, yet has a hoppy bite at the end. This is what Heineken was supposed to taste like...If only the brewery would stop shipping it in green bottles. The Heineken mystique might disapper, but so would the skunk, and trust me...The taste of this beer is so much better out of the keg it's not even funny.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated and a sharp bitter bite at the end.

Drinkability: There's a reason why they sell this in mini kegs the stores. It's VERY easy to drink and a beautiful session-type beer.

I know this review is going to seem atypical from the majority(bottles), but I felt compelled after I was pleasantly surprised by the actual quality of the beer when it isn't full of impurities. I will buy the kegged version again...The bottles...not so much.

4.35/5  rDev +58.2%

This was the 3rd beer I ever had...got it because some one asked me what my favorite beer was and this sounded cool. Honestly I am glad I got it! It has a taste like no other. It has a bitter taste but comes off with a great finish. I know a lot of people either love this or hate it, but its def worth a shot.

Had it first in 2010.

4.35/5  rDev +58.2%

I am not sure why this beer seems to get such an ordinary rating, maybe it is on the bottled BUL crap we get here in Australia, but i am reviewing the 5 litre mini keg that I got from Dan Murphys for 29 bucks. This is my first review!
First of all, it is the PROPER Dutch brew. I have a massive issue with Brewed Under License, as it is without exception nowhere near as good as the real thing. But onto the beer!
One: it is very easy to tap and use. Even though the first glass has a head like a Kilkenny on tap, it settles down nicely to an even and consistant white head that dissipates after a few minutes with little lacing.

Nose: No skunking like some of the bottles I have had. it is not massively hoppy, but what there is is pleasantly grassy. I like it.

Taste: Fairly typical Euro Lager, nice and clean, not too bitter, with a nice sweet malt backbone. The sweetness is noticeable, and tends to make it dangerously drinkable. Faint residual bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel. You just dont get this in a bottle. This is better than any Heineken I have had in a pub, as it only has to travel a few inches from keg to glass. Really good carbonation. The mouthfeel on this style of serving really elevates it above the pack.

Overall: If only more breweries embraced this style of packaging. The beer is fresher, there is less packaging involved (perhaps an issue environmentally) and it presents their product in the best light possible. I have bought 3 kegs of this, and they have all been the same. Highly recommended, but like me, you may find that 5 litres is not enough! (a bit like V8s really...)

4.34/5  rDev +57.8%

A-love the green bottle, loved watching my dad drink it as a kid - always loved the bottles of his favorite beers - heineken, guiness, red stripe - never confused them for soda btw

S-kind of a skunky smell in a way, not bad tho mostly a refreshing clean smell

T-refreshing and clean, subtle aftertaste that you grow to love - great balance of clean and refreshing and slightly bitter/skunky finish

M-matches the flavor well

D-very drinkable imo some people don't like it because they think its too skunky, im in the age range where people rate beers on how fast they can drink them i always take my time and enjoy heineken though-one of my all time favorites when served right, i've been to some bars where they don't sell enough and it gets old and loses some of its edge but that's only sometimes

4.33/5  rDev +57.5%

I recently bought one of the mini-kegs of Heineken and was very impressed. In the mini-keg the beer lost all of it's usual skunky characteristics and really became a nice drinkable lager. The malty sweetness came through and was backed up nicely by a slight hop bitterness in the finish. If your gonna drink this beer, get it in the keg cans or the mini-keg. It's very fresh and very tasty.

4.33/5  rDev +57.5%

Heineken is a great beer. I love it. Nice to have while watching a game with the boys and relaxing. A lighter taste with a slight bite to it I guess you could say. The Bubba keg also is great, and from my experience, keeps well even after a day or two. :o)

4.33/5  rDev +57.5%

Got hooked on this during my honeymoon in Europe. Its better on tap, but still good out of a bottle. People typically can't get past the somewhat skunky smell, but this beer is real drinkable. Its unlike any other beer. In the summer, I'll post up by the pool with a heineken light.

4.27/5  rDev +55.3%

I couldn't help but notice that the majority of the people reviewing this beer are from the States... I had this at The Heineken Experience in Amsterdam (they converted the old brewery to an amusement park for adults) and the taste was RADICALLY different. They explained that in the States they have the light-green bottles which let the light in and keeps it fermenting process going long after it is bottled. If you have it in Europe the bottles (in some countries) are darker and prohibit this. Therefore, I will rate the European one because I think it is much better than the 71 or "Not Recommended" that it has been given.

Pours a translucent gold color with a little head (when poured correctly). Smell is very pungent right off the bat with wheat and hops, pretty inviting. The taste is similar to the smell, with strong hops and wheat with a slightly malty finish. There is a certain graininess to it that comes from the abundance of wheat. A great beer if you are looking to have a few, or are just kicking back and relaxing.

4.27/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like Heineken - it just hits the spot sometimes. The intentionally skunky smell and taste, and the yeasty back of the mouth feel overpowers the adjuncts, and lack of body for me. Certainly not a "craft beer" - but it can be mass produced and taste good, at the right time of course!

4.25/5  rDev +54.5%

When I was like 14 I used to go down to the shore every summer and pound these "green grenades" on the pier away from the lights with my cousin Ronny. Now I don't know a ton about beer, but any beer thats light and airy enough for a 14 year old to kill 9 of in a single sitting is doing something right. Shortly after I moved on to harder stuff for a while but rediscovered the joy and memories of that slender green bottle when I got a couple years older and started hitting the clubs. Word to the wise - no girl doesn't like a good Heineken so that puts it pretty high on my list.

4.25/5  rDev +54.5%

A classic. Every time I enjoy this lager, I am reminded that it wasn't a commercial juggernaut in America until recently. The aroma is "skunky", which reminds me I will be enjoying a crisp lager. The flavor is afforementioned, and has a fairly clean finish. Perhaps my review is biased, as this is an old fallback for me. The fact that I keep purchasing is a cue to it's drinkability. This beer is refreshing, if you are looking for consistency in the same old thing: quality.

4.24/5  rDev +54.2%

Sweet, toasty malt. Slight cooked corn. A little bread. Smells like a light, refreshing, and tasty lager beer.

Pours a pale-to-mild-yellow color, perfect clarity, great head with short-lasting retention.

First sip brings a good bit of malt to the table. Quite sweet, quite fruity - very apple-like. Good warm, toasty, dry malt reminiscent of white bread. Tart hops round off the flavor with a floral bouquet.

As far as drinkability goes, this is almost perfect. It gets a 4.9 just because it doesn't have the addicting qualities of SN Bigfoot and like God-beers, but I'll round up because it is so rare to find a beer that completely lacks flavor turn-offs.

Impeccably tasty, seriously good. I fully expected Heineken to be crappy like so many other "cheap beer"s. I am delightfully surprised to see that Heineken now challenges the position of Beck's as being my favorite no-brainer beer. Next time I'm out I'm totally going to Heineken Light to see what it can do for me.

4.15/5  rDev +50.9%

This is a beer that I liked a whole lot on tap it is easily drinkable but in the bottle has a sort of skunkyness taste to it.

It is a good refreshing beer on tap but must be served cold and drank rather fast once it gets a little warm it ruins the beer and bad

4.15/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It pours a yellow/gold.OK head, not too exciting.

It is my absolute favorite beer to drink in the Caribbean.
I believe that they have breweries in the Bahamas and Curacao NA.

It has a nice hoppy flavor, and an excellent finish. Light and refreshing. In the Caribbean it sometimes comes in 250 ml baby bottles which is about a half pint. At the airport in Sint Maartin, they are only $1, so I had a few to make my flights back to the states more pleasant.

4.1/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a Bottle into a 16oz Mason Jar (since all my other glasses were being used).

A- Nice yellow color. Lots of head, 3 finger head. A good amount of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S- Malts, some hops. Not skunky.

T- Malty breadiness, grassy hops. Good and balanced hop bitterness. An enjoyable bready aftertaste. Not skunky.

M- This beer has a great mouthfeel. It's a nice balance between watery and carbonation.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. Smooth going down.

O- Overall, Heineken is a great casual drinking beer. I think my Heineken wasn't skunked at all, which is supposedly very rare from the green bottle that it has.

I aquired this Heineken as part of a pint/nitro can - European Sampler Mix Pack

Pint sized Euro-can poured in to a pint glass, golden color with a small white head, little lacing.

Smells a bit bitter, not skunky like the typical bottled variety found commonly here in the states.

Tastes better than the bottled version I am used to drinking.

Smooth and creamy, very nice

I could drink quite a few of these and be very happy.

4.1/5  rDev +49.1%

Light gold color with an initially big head that settles down to a ring. Actually a little lacing there too.

Pretty bold for what it is. Corn-malt and very noticeable hops.

Taste is pretty hoppy for what I was expecting, but very balanced. Nice bitter finish.

Nice and drying, though the carbonation is a little lacking.

Not too bad. I had heard Heineken in the can was vastly different from the green bottles and those people were right. I don't like the bottled version, but I would definitely drink this at a ball game or while mowing the lawn.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.