Follow our progress ...

Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,347 | Ratings: 4,727
2.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours with an average size head, and seems to have a decent amount of carbonation. As Euro pale lagers go, this one has a slightly darker color than most. It smells quite musty and skunky. This beer really has a unique smell for a macro-lager. The taste is bitter , and it has a mineral-like after taste. My overall impression of this beer is that it is a macor Euro Pale Lager with it's own personality and distinct aroma. Plus for the price point it's a pretty good value. It costs the same as Budweiser, Miller MGD, and Coors.

I'd recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a low cost lager with more flavor than similarly priced lagers.

2.28/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a golden hue. Skunky aroma leads you to know that it is going to be skunk flavored. That's the problem with these green bottled euro lagers. Sure enough, it is exactly skunk flavored. It is fairly clean and that is a redeeming quality.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%

I get this as my weeknight beer in 16 ounce cans at $24.99 per case which is quite a deal. My weekend beer is Warsteiner and I also like Schlitz Gusto.

This beer is solid and dependable for an evening of sports and relaxation.

It also treats me well the next day proving its not made of junk. As much as I like Schlitz, Heineken is better for the morning after with a taste that is as good or better.

Not the greatest but at the cost and convenience its perfect after a hard day's work and certainly better than most of the standard American brews.

Not for beer snobs but works perfectly for me. I like!

4.07/5  rDev +48%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My go-to beer when in U.S. Has a very distinct cat-piss smell to it but is a decent European beer that is available just about anywhere. I love my beers but I also like shitty dive bars.

3.34/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: A crystal clear golden with plenty of medium size bubbles rising. Produced a finger + of white foamy head that eventually settles down to a thin layer. Leaves some fair lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Quite a bit more grassy/grainy/hoppy than the AAL lagers I've had.
TASTE: Grassy, corn husk.
FEEL: Strong carbonation, medium thin body, fairly dry on the finish.
OVERALL: A good choice for a barbeque, tailgate party etc... Not skunky, it has a pleasant but minor bite from the hops.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

Looks a bit too yellow to be regarded highly, but has a nice head for a lager. Tends to smell skunky, even from a tap (maybe it's in my head). But I generally don't mind that off flavor. I find the hop profile clean and refreshing but unable to mask the skunk entirely. I dislike the texture, it is watery tasting but somehow thick and syrup like.

While this in not a popular among craft beer lovers, we all have a commercial beer that appeals to us for whatever reason. Heineken was the first beer I drank on a regular basis after years of not drinking beer due to poor taste. While Heineken's flavor may not compare well to the great ales we now have available, it's my favorite among the mainstream beers you're able to pickup almost anywhere.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Have had this quite a bit over the years. Not a big fan of this style, and this beer has a tendency to skunk if bought in bottles. Thought I'd buy a sealed up 12 pack of this and revisit an old favorite.

L- Poured a light yellow color with about a 2 finger head that disappeared rather quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles streaming up. Head completely gone, looks like an average beer now. No noticeable lacing.
S- No skunk smell! Smells of malt, very faint hops.
T- Light malt taste, picking up a green apple type flavor. Small amount of hop bitterness, nothing too noticeable.
F- Heavier beer for this style imo, enjoyable though.
O- I use to buy this as something different to drink than BMC. It's not a bad beer, I prefer Stella Artois in this style. If you can find this fresh either on draft, can or 12 pack bottles, give it a try. Not something I would go out of my way to purchase, but if nothing else is available, it's a descent back up.

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light straw yellow with high carbonation.

Smells like a musty garage and skunky.

Tastes like musty stale grains.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a truly terrible beer.

3.71/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've been drinking a lot of "craft" beers recently, so this is a sort of return to mainstream beers as a "control". This was from a bottle rather than draft, so no comment on head or color. The grain is flavorful, but malt tones are minimal with a smooth and inoffensive (and kinda forgettable) finish. Light without being "watery".

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Well the appearance of straw yellow, very weak and diluted isn't going to impress anyone.

Aroma hits those skunky lager notes, but I find the almost sulphuric notes to simply be a pleasant reminder of simpler, skunkier times. Noble/Saaz hops.

Taste has lots of carbonation, prickly hop notes, super mild malt barely toasted. I'm ok with this beer, its dandy on a hot day, especially in a can.

2.31/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I used to love this one, and was then my 'regular'. After entering the craft business I use this one now to flush the toilets. It's awful. How can this be one of the most consumed beer in the world?

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A classic by anyone's standard. This is what Euro lager is about, light color, medium flavor that manages to be both rich and dry, malt and hops in balance. Unfortunately the stuff we get locally is skunky and stale by the time it gets on the shelf. I've had some that weren't but with so many options finding these in good condition is not worth the effort.

On it's game the beer is good and worthy of it's reputation.

2.91/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

clear golden with a few fingers of head, nice retention

nose is sweetish bread and skunk - not the best combo.

tastes very watery with some grain. finish is ok, lightish body. not a great beer but marginally better than some other lagers ive had.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very standard yellow look, with small head. Smells fairly skunky, but not too much. It tastes a little skunky, and watery, but I prefer it too most other macro lagers - European or American. The feel is light and made for drinking.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sometimes in life a crap macro beer is so cheap that you fool yourself into buying it again, even if you never really liked it, that’s the story of me and Heineken - I never really liked it - but I picked up a 6-pack for $10 the other day and it had been about 3-4 years since I last had it accidentally at a party (someone else paid for it that time). Anyway if I’m going to give out one pivotal TL;DR this year it would be: Don’t waste your time. Regardless though - here’s a review for those who think that I only ever review great beers, enjoy! (because I certainly won’t!)

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a stein.

A: Clear macro lager piss yellow body, as expected... never had an interesting looking macro lager in my life, why would it change with Heineken? The head is a solid white half centimetre foam on top - at least the head looks reasonable, but the body is fugly. 7/10.

S: Hint of dough, grainy malt and a distinct Ethanol note that really stands out for a Lager - I mean I’ve noted straight Ethanol in 10%+ ABV brews but never in a 5% Lager - it’s a bit out of place. An expected Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS) aroma rears its head after a few more whiffs, a common occurrence in many macro lagers, hardly worth subtracting points for these days. 5/10.

T: Bit on the watery side with flavour - which is a melange of the above. It’s not as offensive as you would imagine from the aroma, but it’s nothing brilliant either, just a typical boring macro lager. Aftertaste gets a bit of the metallic, sweet grain with apple treatment and could be worse. 6/10.

M: Mid to light, a touch watery, with a fairly dense (for a Lager) but light carbonation. 5/10.

D: “Heineken: It could be worse” sums up my opinion of this beer, and it really would make a good slogan for this Lager. Let’s face it there are A LOT of shit macro lagers out there, and this one isn’t close to scrapping the bottom of the barrel (there’s plenty more crap to trove through before you hit metal). In any case I don’t feel so ripped off now for buying this. However (and this is a big however) there are a lot of great cheap Euro Pale Lagers out there, off the top of my head: Grolsch, Stella, Mythos, Brok and König (which is a Pilsener - sue me). 5/10.

Food match: HDs and HBs (Hot Dogs and HamBurgers)... easy on the mustard there son!

1.58/5  rDev -42.5%

I gave this trash so many tries before I finally said to myself, no. I hate Heineken. I completely despise how vile and skunky it is. i hate the bland flavorless drivel in a can. Don't bother. It just looks pretty. But in actuality, It tastes like a skunk sprayed it's anus fluid into my esophagus. I can't even stomach this swill no more.

3.64/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have a long history of drinking Heineken as I thought it was one of the better mass market beers. It is a somewhat bitter lager with a decent aftertaste. I will say it tastes totally different in Holland and what we get doesn't taste quite the same. In Holland it is excellent. I don't drink it all too often anymore but if the place has limited beer selection I will usually drink a Heineken or a Coors Light. I always prefer something different other than what I have already had.

3.6/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 24 oz can into lipped pint glass. Looks really nice, golden and beautiful.
Smells sweet and of bread, a little hoppy.
Tastes wonderful, starts off biting and sweet and ends nice and not too bitter. Perfect balance.
Mouthful is light and thin, but not watery. Feels good, like a lager should.
Overall, Personally my lager of choice. If I'm going to drink a pale lager of any kind, I'm going to settle on a good bit of Heineken.

1.51/5  rDev -45.1%

I'm sorry. I just freaking hate this beer. I keep giving it another shot, but I don't know why. It's flat-out terrible (or at least the stuff we get in the US is; I've had okay Heineken in Holland, but years ago). It always seems skunky to me. Next time I'm offered one, I should truly just have water. Yuengling is better; Bud is better. (And those suck, too.) I don't know what anyone sees (or tastes) in this beer. It's not that it has no flavor (as some contend), it's that it has a freaking terrible flavor. And why do people spend craft beer $$ on it?!

3.69/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a pint can as a very pale clear gold color with a decent somewhat foamy white head topping it.

Smells of white bread with some sweetness. Just a hint of hops somewhere towards the back.

The taste had that slightly skunky taste that surprised me because I got none of that on the odor. Other than that it was a decent taste combination of barley malts and hops.

The mouth feel is very smooth and light with a bit of a wet finish. Not a whole lot of carbonation going on but the beer did not feel like it needed a lot to make the taste pop. The mouth feel works on this one.

Overall I liked this beer. The skunk in the taste was not overpowering and was just a bit off for me. Like I say I had bought this in a pint can and do not know how this would fare in the light green bottles. I think if the skunk was turned up even a small bit it would probably be reaching an unpleasant level.

2.83/5  rDev +2.9%

For what it's supposed to represent, I'd say it beats the BMC's. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a damn smooth beer. Also have to say pretty refreshing, even though water would have probably tasted better. It's not one I'll ever seek out for myself, but won't turn it down if nothing else is available. Looked better, too. Doesn't look like dirty water as much as the BMC's and in a side by side, the head would last longer than the others. Overall, not for the beer snob, but not the worst beer to choose from

3.01/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One of "the" standard, classic, you-get-them-everywhere beers. Fits to every meal, tastes ok, but nothing special. Very easy-drinking beer, you can't go wrong with it, if you are far away from home and do not know which beer to drink, but - I would recommend trying any other beer than this one.

2.27/5  rDev -17.5%

Green bottle poured into tall slender glass. Pale straw in color with long lasting white frothy head. Very fizzy due to high carbonation.

Smells of grainy, sweet green apple with canned corn aroma. The faintest of hops, if any actually perceivable, are flora in aroma.

Very grainy flavor with significant amount of corn adjuncts. DMS is highly prevalent that seems like drinking cooled boiled corn on the cob water. Almost sweet tasting, but finishes dry & crisp with thin body. No flavor hops here. Alcohol is virtually nonexistent.

Overall, a mass produced, high adjunct beer that I don't really care for. I'd drink it in a pinch which is usually at my mass-produced, macro drinking relatives.

4.21/5  rDev +53.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I wasn't expecting much from this beer, however I was pleasantly surprised. It poured a golden yellow with high carbonation and had a light head. It smelled pretty decent, with a light smell of hops and citrus. The taste was really good, smooth and flavorful with a crisp finish.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.