Join our email list →

Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V.
Netherlands | website

Euro Pale Lager | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,323 | Hads: 4,578

Straw yellow that isn't quite dark enough to be called amber or gold. The pure white head is frothyfirm and deflates to a barely covering film. The nose is of grain and not much else.

The flavor is both sweet (more so than most EPLs) and bitter at the same time. There's plenty of grain-like flavor, though for some reason it isn't as off-putting as it is in the American pale lagers. Despite the green glass bottle, there's no hint of skunkiness.

The beer becomes more bitter and more dry as the mouthful progresses. It seemed a little thin initially, but firmed up just a tad with warming. I'm amazed to report that the flavor didn't deteriorate as the temperature rose.

Heineken Lager is a beer that I haven't had for at least 15 years. I never thought much of it then (and still don't really), but it is a damn sight better than the stuff that BMC puts out and is often the only drinkable option in those places that don't carry good beer.

2.63/5  rDev -4.4%

Every time I drink a Heineken it brings me back to High School. I guess now that I look at it, it is not a very good beer, but for high school, drinking imports made me a minority while other swigged the beast. I must say, I liked this beer a lot more back in the days. I do, however, don't think it is as bad as many others say. This is an easy beer to drink all day. There are times when this is the best looking thing on the menu at a restaurant. From what I hear, this is phenomenal in Amsterdam.

1.48/5  rDev -46.2%

This may well be my least favorite beer. Just due to the fact that it is imported, it seems that a lot of people think it is better than the US macros. They are greatly mistaken. Many US macros have little or almost no taste. I would take that anyday over the aweful taste of this beer. It is lightly carbonated, light colored and has a wretched smell. You get an aweful aftertaste and the taste of alcohol is too overly present and not disguised by anything else except for an almost metallic taste. Avoid this beer, but if you must have this beer, have it on draft, it is somewhat more tolerable than in the bottle.

This beer is completely different on tap than from a bottle. No skunkiness whatsoever. Has a very carbonated sharp flavor that goes well with the sulfur flavors in the beer. This makes the beer go from awful to just average. I would actually consider ordering this on tap again.

2.19/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: PLeasent with stong buuble trying to make an effort that soon quit to form a head

Aroma: Skunk, yet a living skunk so not a total loss

Taste: A bad bight with a slow weak moalty flavor, at least its not spoiled

Mouthfeel: A sharpness that is trying to make its presence felt yet can't do it

Overall: Hate to call imports this bad but it is. It wants to be a strong, good beer but it dosen't make the cut.

2.53/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a clear yellowish color with a good size head that is tightly packed with small round bubbles. The smell is okay. A bit bitter with mostly corn like malt notes coming through. The taste is more of the smell but weaker. Starts off strong and then the flavor just jumps off a cliff. Not much there but seems to take care of my thirst.

Ok, but nothing special. I think I like the bottle better as it seems a bit more crisp.

2.02/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with a moderate white head. Spotty lacing. Aroma is bitterly skunky, like rotting carrots and onions. Taste is unpleasant, with an acrid bitterness that mirrors the nose. Has a bitter, metallic aftertaste that lingers on the palate. The metalic taste is also present in the mouthfeel, which is also highly carbonated. This bottled lager has nothing in common with the fresh, draft version I've enjoyed many times in cafes in the Netherlands. This bottle is undrinkable, and the rest of it goes down the sink. Perhaps they should get rid of the green bottles. This doesn't travel well, to say the least.

3.22/5  rDev +17.1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It's simple pale malts and lager yeast with a bit of skunky scent. The taste is average. It's a light and refreshing beer with little malt flavor and little hop taste. It seems a bit watery, but it goes down smooth. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. It drinks well; a good sessions ale.

2.66/5  rDev -3.3%

This is basically a better version of Rolling Rock thats imported. Taste is all corn and so is the smell. Its quite drinkable, as it doesn't have that dirty gym sock taste that Rolling Rock has, but at the same time, it doesn't really taste good so way drink it? And more importantly, why pay an "import" price? Most places will sell this for the same price as your average craft brew. It'll at least be the same price as a Sammy A. I'd rather have the Sam Adams... much more fulfilling lager thats not made out of crap filler.

2.93/5  rDev +6.5%

It's my preference to drink Heineken out of the can. Maybe I like the bright green body and the bright green tab. It's welcoming and makes you feel like you've got something special in your hand, even if it's not.

It smells light and a little honeyish, nice It tastes similar to the way it smells, light and honeyish, nice. Besides that, there's not too much going on. The carbonation is light and leaves a watery taste behind. A bit heavy despite the watery feel in the mouth. Still though, with the nasty beers I've been imbibing lately in Japan, drinking this beer is pretty enjoyable.

I wish this beer was my favorite beer because I've seen it everywhere I've been in the world. They must have one of the better distribution networks in the world.

2.7/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours a dull yellow color with a very thin head that quickly disappears to a few bubbles along the rim. The aroma is weak, as grass was the main component. The flavor is also strange, as a light malt is there with a hint of hoppy bitterness. But those grassy tones that were in the nose are now attacking the tongue.

This is crisp and clean on the tongue. Very light bodied and good carbonation. The grassy tones of this beer make it less desirable in the drinkability category. One for lunch was more than enough.

2.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear pale gold, kinda the color of ginger ale and very fizzy. Not much of a head. Smell is grassy and lightly sweet.

Taste is grassy and very clean. Crisp. Lightly bitter finish. Not much aftertaste though and very thin mouth. Not much to add because there is not much here. Very drinkable.

This sample was much better than previous tries as the bottle was not skunked. A passable macro lager if it's taken care of.

1.95/5  rDev -29.1%

The beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow, topped with a quickly disappearing white head. Given about two minutes, the head dies away completely, leaving you with something that looks exactly like ginger ale.
The aroma is fairly mild, with a saccharine sweetness to it that conveys an odd chemical aroma. Light saaz hops with a touch of lightstruck skunkiness. Sweet pils malt, with that odd sweetness. Clean, besides the unnatural quality of the sweetness.
The flavor starts out with some light pils malt, with an overly sweet character kicking in immediately. A touch of DMS corn flavor. The carbonation is a bit much, similar to soda, with a mouth filling quality. I can't imagine it's natural. Body is light to medium, meandering into a fairly light saaz hoppiness. A bit of skunky flavor, with a bit of soapiness and a metallic twang at the end. The finish is dry and overly carbonated, with that strange dryness on your teeth that cola creates. I can't help but wonder if they add refined sugar to this.
Overall, I'd take a Bud or Coors over this. It's basically the same as any mass produced american lager, except that it commands an imported price. The popularity of this beer is obviously image, because it's really not good at all. Bud is cheaper, cleaner and overall a better beer. Probably one of the worst imports I've ever drank. If this is my only option for beer, I'll take a water.

3.27/5  rDev +18.9%

Somewhat pale, Heineken pours a nice head with a minimum of lace . Yes, it is 'skunky' smelling, but a 'skunkiness' coupled with a slightly earthy and yeasty aroma that is actually rather pleasant. There is a hint of cereal sweetness in the initial sip and it finishes dry and bitter.

I don't mind this stuff and it'll certainly do in a pinch.

3.07/5  rDev +11.6%

wow, its not that bad!!
after hearing all the bad things about this beer, i finally tried it for myself.
pours crystal clear light golden color with a strong "fresh cut grass" aroma. i was actually a bit surp[rrised by how strong the aroma was, compared to a lot of pale lagers that have hardly any aroma at all, this was a welcome surprise.
light clean spicy taste, and a light mouthfeel that says "i wont fill you up."
hey, its not going to change the world, but it wont make it come crashing down around you either.

This was the only beer offered at a colleague's holiday party, so I tried one. I expected skunk, and was surprised not to find it. Poured a standard clear gold under an unremarkable but decent white head. The nose was malty, while the mouth was prickly and fairly light. The taste was clean, with lots of malt followed by a touch of hoppy bitterness. As a standard eurolager, this stuff strives for averageness. In that, it is very successful.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I, like many of the reviewers are not impressed with this so called "premium lager"...

It probably isn't a bad brew BEFORE it is put in those ubsurd green bottles. I don't get it. Why ruin you beer because of bad packaging?

I suppose that I shoul try their "keg can."

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

The first time I had Heineken I wasn't much of a beer drinker, but after givign it another shot the other night, I was very impressed. This stuff is great. Especialyl if you throw a lime in it. It has a nice head that sticks around for a few minutes, and actually goes down pretty smoothly. Recommended to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

It's amazing how effective Heineken's marketing is. I used to think this was a great beer. But after 2 months drinking great lagers in the CZ I tried Heiny again in Budapest. I realized something, it tastes poor. Very poor.

Color is similar to any macro brew, golden and pretty, but a lacking head and lacing.

Smell has a touch of skunk, it's not too bad coming from the green bottle. Other than that, a touch of malt in the nose. Generally very bland.

Sipping this beer makes my mind scream "TIMID." There is a decent balance of malt and hops, but neither give enough flavor to the beer. It mostly just tastes like fizzy water with some moderate beer added.

Speaking of Fizzy water, Heinekans extremely high carbonation detracts from the beer more than anything else. It's like getting your tounge slammed with needles. Blech.

After the carbonation settles a bit it's a drinkable beer. I wouldn't prefer it, but it's easier to stomach than many beers.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

It's hard to believe that I once considered (and many still do) this to be a premium, top of the line beer. Very unimpressive appearance, bland tatse and smell. Certainly has a bit more body, and is of better quality than the "big three". Not by much, however. A strange, slight malt feel, but so much less so than any decent import lager. Have an Original Munich, or a Samuel Smith lager, or a DAB, etc. etc. Too expensive for the mediocre quality.

2.59/5  rDev -5.8%

not alot to get excited about here. being an aussie forced to drink crappy lagers every so often, this is a step up. can you believe that? its true, even tho this beer is as exciting as watching paint dry.

boring color, nothing more than the average drivel. no smell to report. does have some malt nature and a hint of hops, but what can you really say about the worlds most mass produced brew? i can drink this under sufferance, but really, we all know theres plenty better.

watching poeple drink this and rate it as a top beer makes me laff. merely proves the naievete of most beer drinkers out there. they wouldnt know a good beer if it hit them in the back of the head, coz this definately isnt one of the greats.

2.23/5  rDev -18.9%

Very clean, light yellow body, fast bright white head that fades as quickly as it arrives.

Aroma reaches out to you the same way that the odor of a dead skunk seeps through your car's air circulation system, even though the carcass is a quarter-mile away. Truly one of the worst beer aroma's in existence.

Thin body, crisp and raspy in the mouth. Taste is sour and gritty, metallic and granular, but could be refreshing in the right environment or with the right foods.

This is the only macro that I can drink without feeling substantially aggrieved. The aroma is a problem.

Big keg can without any size listed on the can 24oz? I got it at the gas station by my office, I figure it will go good with my Jack in the Box tacos, I am sitting at my desk at work and I can't find my pint glass, I have to use my coffee mug. It pours clear straw golden color with a decent white head that doesn't last very long, light grainy and flowery aromas(no skunk).Bready and grainy flavors, light to medium bodied, finishes clean with a mild sweetness, not all that bad.

2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

The first thing that hits me opening the bottle is the smell. I smell it when I open it, and after swallowing the smell lingers. Pale gold in color, medium head like brine in the sea. Its what people always seem to buy me when we go out. After 4 or 5 beers I could drink this fine, but not to start the night.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Pale gold with a pumped-up, fizzy white crown. Dies post haste. Huge carbonation.
Weak Euro-hoppy nose with veggies and traces of sulphur. This bottle was not the skunk bomb I've had in the past. Still, it is not particularly aromatic, but not offensive either.
Enters lightly sweet and partially sugary. Veggies lurk in the distance and fortunately stay there. Massively carbonated and washes the palate clean of any flavor. Malt vanishes. Suphur notes are minimal, but present. Hops enter meekly, in a lightly grassy manner with a minor restatement of cabbage.
Very light bodied and gassy. Forced fizziness.
This particular bottle was as "fresh" tasting as I've ever experienced a Heinie (and provided without cost, which is always a bonus). Overall, not as hideous as I recall.
If your buying, I suppose I'll have one. But when it's my turn to pony up, expect something else.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.