Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,283 | Hads: 4,358
3.52/5  rDev +26.6%

Just bought one of these at the corner store. This bottle gets points for not being skunked. It's hot (around 90) and I actually had a taste for this beer. Yes, I occasionally get the taste for a Heineken, even though I make my own beer. What I like about Heineken in the sort of grassy hops ( a Heineken signature flavor), smooth body and dry finish. If I have my choice between one of these or an American macrobrew, you know what I'm going to pick. (I'm not so snobby that I want have a beer.) (496 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a nice head that diminished quickly – the lacing was decent though. A yellow/gold color with a fair amount of CO2. Smell was yeasty and skunky and not very distinctive. Mouth feel was ok.
Not a beer with a lot of character, but it is one of the better mass produced. I have had it numerous times on tap in Europe, and I remember it tasting better. This ain’t a great beer, but it has done in a pinch. (411 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -6.1%

This beer pours a light yellow color with a small white head that dies off quickly and no lacing on the glass. The aroma is pretty skunky - not much else. The flavor follows suit of the aroma. It's pretty skunky to taste and very plain. It's a pretty crappy beer for its style, but nothing terrible. (299 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Comes in a little ken-shaped can. How cute. Leave it in there. It's so freakishly carbonated, I assure you you don't have a glass big enough. Foam is fairly white, and full of gigantic, unpleasent looking bubbles. If I saw bubbles like this on Champaigne, I'd throw it out without even tasting it.

Smell: Rather unpleasent. Skunky might be an overused term around here, but this one deserves it.

Taste: Kinda like a bad soda. If someone passed this to me in a differently shaped can, I might not notice it's beer right away.

Mouthfeel: Sorta tangy. Sharp. Not entirely pleasent.

Drinkability: Well, it's drinkable, but I can't get up any enthusiasm about it.

In conclusion, it sits in gas stations next to the old macrobrews, doesn't taste any better, and costs more. Not sure why it costs more, but it does. Probably a need to pay off the advertising bits in every movie that comes out these days. A rather dissapointing beer. (954 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

(See disclaimer at my review of Bud Light.) I got this one in the can that is shaped like a keg, a pretty cool gimmick in my opinion. The beer had a head that was much more foamy and robust than any of the American macrobrews I had in this session. The brew was extremely clear and was a nice rich golden color, much like the Ice House. The aroma is more pronounced, however, featuring some malty notes and something else as well, almost a faintly fruity or spicy note. The flavor itself is dominated by maltiness too. In this case, the malt notes are soft, with some complimentary hints of hop flavor as well as hop bitterness. The carbonation level is a tad lighter than the light American beers. Prior to this sample, I had always had Heinekin in isolation and didn't really think it was much more robust than a typical American beer, but after this tasting I think I'll conclude that it is, indeed, a step up. (913 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -9.7%

I know. It is yuppie beer. But at least give it chance.

I did.

If I was on an island and a keg of Heineken washed up would I drink it? Yes.

But we are not on an island, and there are SO many choices out there for a good light colored beer: move on!

It is okay. That is all you can say. No head. No lacing. No aroma. Just a mouthful of light maltless beer. (367 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -47.5%

Looked ok in color. Golden with a nice amount of white head.
Smell...starts to get quite funky...
Taste...how do I describe it? Like skunk. No matter how many times I try it, it reminds me of a skunk smell.
Mouthfeel a little watery but not completely terrible.
Drinkability...absolutely none...I could barely finish the free one given to me. (346 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -54%

First Heiny I've had in about 2-3 years.Poured yellow with a short lived fizzy white head. Skunky aroma with cooked corn. Taste was even worse. Cooked veggies with nothing else to report. Just skunk. Worsens as it warms. The most amazing part of this is that I actually used to like this beer. Today it was plain awful. Unable to finish it. (340 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +18%

Appearance - standard macro yellow. Pocky one-finger head with lines of bubbles rising up. Quickly reduces to a thin film and collar.

Aroma - very faint malt aroma, but inspiringly, no skunky smell! All hail the minikeg what stops light from ruining beer!

Taste - Lightly sweet malt and corn quickly giving way to a pleasant, non-aggressive hop bitterness. Not much depth to speak of, but it tastes alright.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation, but not as crisp as I thought it's be. I like the slight coating left behind, it helps to enhance the taste by drawing it out via a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability - The world has this love affair with Heineken, I'm not sure why. It is an adequate, albeit overpriced session beer for anytime of year, anywhere in the world, as long as it's in the minikeg. A little malt, a little hops, enough to ride the fence, satisfying macro drinkers and hitting the low end of the bar for some craft lovers, too. I'd drink a minikeg if it was given to me, but I wouldn't buy it again, I demand more value for my money. (1,056 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -4%

The yellowy color of the flesh of a pear. Head retention was just OK.

Some sour notes in the grainy aroma.

Oddly hollow malt characteristic- not bland, just not a lot there. Some tangy hop bittering with just a sour note on the first touch to tongue. The mouthfeel is basic, and made for not noticing.

Not as insipid as some of its American counterparts, but still plainly a mass-produced beer for a less discriminating beerdrinker. I'd only want spicy foods if I was drinking this, like a good salami or some tabascoed oysters, something that could slap the flavor of the beer right back in its face. (610 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Ah, Heineken. You suck. First of all, Heineken could be a very drinkable beer, perfect for throwing back with the guys except....ah yes, we forget that Heineken Lager Beer IMPORTED FROM HOLLAND is more about advertising and overpricing than taste. That's why all across the country there are 20 something buttcracks throwing away $5 to get a bottle (not a draft, mind you) that they can hold label outwards to show all the women at the bar that they know and can taste a good beer and that they have money to buy such luxuries. Whew! Ok--beer. Pours a very pale yellow with a head that dies faster than that on my urine. Taste is always skunky corn, somewhat less when taken from a can. Very light hop taste comes through. Mouthfeel is very thin following in the macro-pisswater fashion. Drinkability is fine, as there is nothing intersting going on. I apologize for this review, but the sad fact is that to the majority of bar frequenters around the country, Heineken is a good beer and something to splurge on. I know better, you know better, and I even suspect the people who routinely show them off know better. Like most beers, I'll drink them for free, but you'll never catch me buying a heniehole. (1,204 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz green bottle. Pours a crystal clear macro straw yellow, with no real head or lacing. Aroma is what a typical macro smells like, if you didn't have the bottle in front of you, you'd be hard pressed to tell what you are drinking. Taste is that of the average lager. Nothing outstanding. And to think at one time I thought this was great beer! Still an enjoyable beer great for session drinking, but just average. (416 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Heineken is one beer that no matter how much they try and make us believe, is definitely not worth the hype. I've seen this beer shamelessly shilled in movies like Swordfish and Austin Powers, and this beer is supposed to carry with it some of that Hollywood mystique? I think not. Heineken is a somewhat drinkable Euro-lager with some decent taste, but there is nothing outstanding here, and nothing worth paying the admission price for.

Heineken pours a medium yellow straw color and forms a somewhat decent foam white head, which lasts for about 30-35 seconds. The smell is unmistakably skunk. I could detect some mild grain scents underneath the smell, however. The mouthfeel is watery and fizzy. The flavor is of some average tasting grains (slightly sweet) and some fruity hop flavor, which tend to make this beer a bit more on the bitter side. The skunk does make its way into the flavor, but perhaps my sample had yet to reach the high levels of skunktitude that Heineken is able to reach. Decent bitterness in the finish. The aftertaste is of some continuing bitterness and cheap tasting grains (somewhat corny?). The beer finishes off with a tiny bit of alcoholic warmth.

While this is somewhat drinkable, I will reiterate what countless other BAs have said and say that this would be so much better if not for the green bottle. Perhaps I should give the "keg-can" a whirl to see how it compares. Overall, a slightly sub-average Euro-lager that is way overpriced and overhyped. (1,493 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow, it really is better out of the can! Couldn't believe it, so I had to try it. Straw yellow, with a thin white head of tiny bubbles that runs away. Very light aroma of malt, perhaps some floral. Flavor is smooth, no skunk taste, but low on malt and hops flavors. Tastes a bit like corn. As the aftertaste settles in, I can feel the slightest essence of skunk, but maybe only because I'm super-sensitive and looking for it. This stuff is fairly inoffensive out of the can. Pretty average, but pretty drinkable, especially if it's all that's available. (553 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -3.6%

Presentation is a green 650ml bottle with white foil around the neck and cap. It looks alright, clear straw colour, rather impressive white head that recedes into a ring and some lacing. Smell is.....not really there. Not even the skunk from memory. Nose is slight, a tiny bit of grain malt, could have been my imagination. Flavour is not very apparent as well in the first few sips, but the graininess of the malt starts to become more apparent farther down the glass. Aftertaste has a bit of bite to it, it lingers, and isn't very welcome. This is the Corona of Europe as far as I see it. Still, it seems to taste reasonable when mixed with a V8 (the only way I can finish this off). (685 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -0.7%

oh heiny, i always disliked heineken but drank it from time to time like everyone else but eventually gave it the boot. i have a friend who drinks it my the gallons so i figured id give it another try. pours a straw color and after the initial skunk smell it smells of sweet grains. tastes like a typical "import lager", grainy, skunky, sweet too.it is light in the mouth and somewhat refreshing. drinkability? not my favorite but, im not gonna say no. (452 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -45.3%

All through my beer-drinking life I never liked this beer. I always thought there might be something wrong with me. Everyone else I knew seemed to like it, and it was their "upscale" beer. Now I know it wasn't me, thanks to BA..

Skunky is the only word I can use to describe this. Why they decided to bottle this beer (which on tap in eminently drinkable as a session beer) is beyond me. It renders this stuff undrinkable, at least to me.

At least I know why they call these things "Heinies". To me, at least in the bottle, it's because it tastes like your posterior area.. (579 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -34.9%

Hell hath no fury like a Heineken. They say that people's hell is whatever thei mind's eye interprets hell to be. If that rings true, my room in hell will have a fridge filled only with Heineken. A bit melodramatic...probably, but this beer makes me long for Miller High Life.

Appearance - OK. The green bottle should tip you off you're in for a long drink. As for the beer, It's yellow/gold. The head is like a bad one-night stand: looks good at first, but doesn't stick around long. has about the same color as any American mass-produced fare (Bud, Miller, etc).

Smell - I have had a few Heinekens in my day. I give the benefit of the doubt about once per year. Every time, I realize that every bottle of Heineken is skunked worse than the Meister Brau from my grandfather's garage. The aroma hits your nose like a truck. I can smell it opening across a room. It's bad...very bad. A hint of corn in there as well, but only as a consolation prize.

Taste - Anyone who tells you this tastes good is lying for the sake of making you think they have great taste in beer. I am sure it may be different on tap, but the bottles taste just like they smell: skunk, corn, water. A bit on the bitter side. According to those who like Heineken, I have no taste in beer at all or I would love Heineken. I say, quit trying to impress the girls by buying a $5 bottle of crap and realize you're doomed to liking Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel - Feels like pretty much any mass-produced beer out there. Cold, carbonated, some smoothness. Nothing of any noteworthiness here, though.

Drinkability - I find this beer to be almost undrinkable. The smell alone could stop a clock, and the taste is downright pitiful. I would reccommend a Budweiser over this anyday...you get the same consistency without the skunkiness, and it's way cheaper.

This beer and I have a long, angry history. This is a beer that fools people into thinking it is good because A)It costs twice as much as other beers, and B)it came across the Atlantic Ocean to get here. Well, somewhere along the way, it got scurvy and died. Drink at your own risk. (2,113 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz green bottle

Beer ours a daisy yellow. Some head and decent lacing. Heinenken has the "classic" (used loosely) skunk smell that some other Euro Lagers try to copy. You can also pick-up some malt, faint hops and maybe a little adjunct/gain as well.

Taste is ok, not horrible, but not world beating either. More sweet than bitter, but it is solidly in the lager taste profile. Skunk taste diminishes what could be a good beer.

Mouthfeel is ok and drinkablity is about average.

The bar that my fall softball team goes to, has this on tap. It is the special on the nights we play. Flavor and smell are much improved over the bottle. I would give it a much higher rating if I was reviewing the tap version. (719 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Heineken is a beer best served from a can. Though their is still a tin flavour, the bottle version is usually skunked and awful. Poured a bland gold colour with a 1/2 finger head that disipated after a minute or so. With the skunk smell removed, some hops were detected. Though the aroma picks up little malt, the tongue does. Watery, but their is flavour. Still has the grain husk mouthfeel that reminds me of my granfather's farm. Average drinkability. Much better from a can than a bottle. (492 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -54.3%

Sampled in a 12oz GREEN bottle, and I apologize for the shouting, but is green the main problem here?

Poured a nice clear golden color with a decent head and this is where the trip took a nasty, nasty turn into beer drinker?s hell.

Then I smelled it. This beer was either skunked or the worst adjunct product out there short of Schlitz Malt Liquor, and I might take the malt liquor next time. Corn, corn, some rice, then some more corn and something else I couldn't place but shouldn't have been in my beer. The terrible smell should have been the warning sign that reads: "Not fit for human consumption." But the old adage is you don't waste a beer, its alcohol abuse. Well this was abuse alright, but of a completely different kind.

The taste, oh were to begin. Let's go back to the smell and say corn, corn, corn, and rice. But not the fresh corn you get at the farmers market and would be enjoyable, overcooked, stale corn. The kind they put on clearance at the grocery store then you accidentally over microwave trying to make a quick meal.

Do the Dutch hate us, or do they have a wicked sense of humor and like pranks. Do they sit over in Holland and laugh there asses off as they pump this crap into America and we make it the #1 selling import? I hope they just like playing pranks, but cause if they hate us that bad I am suddenly afraid, very afraid. (1,372 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ok second green monster from The Netherlands,,this time I splashed out on the 24 oz bottle.
The beer pours a rather dull lackluster yellowish..nice head ..pure white..that goes fast.
The aroma was not too good I can smell some hops but the overall impression is of boiled cabbage for some reason.
Taste is much more watery than Grolsch..its sweetat the beginning and just trails off at the end non of the nice smooth bitterness I got in Grolsch.
Average as can be on the tongue..It is a clean beer.
Not too drinkable..but its not horrid.
EDIT REVIEW: after having tasted this beer in a can..much better. (609 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Much better on tap than in the bottle! This beer has a nice lagery aroma and a great lagery flavor. The malts and hops play well together and the mouthfeel and drinkability are very well balanced. A good euro-lager on tap or in those keg cans, but in those skunky green glass bottles...
never!
cheers!
-F (307 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +59.7%

Let me start out by saying that I have had many bottles and cans of Heiny in the States, as well as in Europe. Heiny on tap in Europe is a completely different beer. It' s not even remotely similar. I had this at the old Heineken Brewery which is now a museum in Amsterdam. For 7.50 Euro, you get a tour, (3) 33cl glasses of Heiny and you get to keep the glass. Remaining completely objective, I was floored by this beer. BRILLIANTLY clear light golden, forming a thick white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma is clean and crisp, with delicate floral hops, soft water, and a distant sweetness. Mouthfeel is extremely soft with a great wet finish. Carbonation is mild. Taste begins with lager yeast, minimal flavor hops, giving way to a pleasant and unique tea-like maltiness, followed by mild husken character and a soft, wet, well-balanced delicate bitterness with darjeeling/muscat character. This beer is infinitely superior to the many Heineken's I've had over the years from bottles and cans. Why they continue to bottle in green is beyond me. This is a wonderful brew, easy to drink, with alot of character and nuances. (1,135 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Like oh so many beers of its kind, it pours a nothing out of the ordinary golden colour, but with a rather small head which easily fades, unattractively. No abundant smell and when noticed it becomes unappealing. The taste is no better: a very bitter beer which suppresses any other flavors- if any present. this is truly a deplorable beer, not to try ever again. (363 characters)

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.