Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,310 | Hads: 4,495
3.27/5  rDev +18.9%

Somewhat pale, Heineken pours a nice head with a minimum of lace . Yes, it is 'skunky' smelling, but a 'skunkiness' coupled with a slightly earthy and yeasty aroma that is actually rather pleasant. There is a hint of cereal sweetness in the initial sip and it finishes dry and bitter.

I don't mind this stuff and it'll certainly do in a pinch.

3.07/5  rDev +11.6%

wow, its not that bad!!
after hearing all the bad things about this beer, i finally tried it for myself.
pours crystal clear light golden color with a strong "fresh cut grass" aroma. i was actually a bit surp[rrised by how strong the aroma was, compared to a lot of pale lagers that have hardly any aroma at all, this was a welcome surprise.
light clean spicy taste, and a light mouthfeel that says "i wont fill you up."
hey, its not going to change the world, but it wont make it come crashing down around you either.

This was the only beer offered at a colleague's holiday party, so I tried one. I expected skunk, and was surprised not to find it. Poured a standard clear gold under an unremarkable but decent white head. The nose was malty, while the mouth was prickly and fairly light. The taste was clean, with lots of malt followed by a touch of hoppy bitterness. As a standard eurolager, this stuff strives for averageness. In that, it is very successful.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I, like many of the reviewers are not impressed with this so called "premium lager"...

It probably isn't a bad brew BEFORE it is put in those ubsurd green bottles. I don't get it. Why ruin you beer because of bad packaging?

I suppose that I shoul try their "keg can."

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

The first time I had Heineken I wasn't much of a beer drinker, but after givign it another shot the other night, I was very impressed. This stuff is great. Especialyl if you throw a lime in it. It has a nice head that sticks around for a few minutes, and actually goes down pretty smoothly. Recommended to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

It's amazing how effective Heineken's marketing is. I used to think this was a great beer. But after 2 months drinking great lagers in the CZ I tried Heiny again in Budapest. I realized something, it tastes poor. Very poor.

Color is similar to any macro brew, golden and pretty, but a lacking head and lacing.

Smell has a touch of skunk, it's not too bad coming from the green bottle. Other than that, a touch of malt in the nose. Generally very bland.

Sipping this beer makes my mind scream "TIMID." There is a decent balance of malt and hops, but neither give enough flavor to the beer. It mostly just tastes like fizzy water with some moderate beer added.

Speaking of Fizzy water, Heinekans extremely high carbonation detracts from the beer more than anything else. It's like getting your tounge slammed with needles. Blech.

After the carbonation settles a bit it's a drinkable beer. I wouldn't prefer it, but it's easier to stomach than many beers.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

It's hard to believe that I once considered (and many still do) this to be a premium, top of the line beer. Very unimpressive appearance, bland tatse and smell. Certainly has a bit more body, and is of better quality than the "big three". Not by much, however. A strange, slight malt feel, but so much less so than any decent import lager. Have an Original Munich, or a Samuel Smith lager, or a DAB, etc. etc. Too expensive for the mediocre quality.

2.59/5  rDev -5.8%

not alot to get excited about here. being an aussie forced to drink crappy lagers every so often, this is a step up. can you believe that? its true, even tho this beer is as exciting as watching paint dry.

boring color, nothing more than the average drivel. no smell to report. does have some malt nature and a hint of hops, but what can you really say about the worlds most mass produced brew? i can drink this under sufferance, but really, we all know theres plenty better.

watching poeple drink this and rate it as a top beer makes me laff. merely proves the naievete of most beer drinkers out there. they wouldnt know a good beer if it hit them in the back of the head, coz this definately isnt one of the greats.

2.23/5  rDev -18.9%

Very clean, light yellow body, fast bright white head that fades as quickly as it arrives.

Aroma reaches out to you the same way that the odor of a dead skunk seeps through your car's air circulation system, even though the carcass is a quarter-mile away. Truly one of the worst beer aroma's in existence.

Thin body, crisp and raspy in the mouth. Taste is sour and gritty, metallic and granular, but could be refreshing in the right environment or with the right foods.

This is the only macro that I can drink without feeling substantially aggrieved. The aroma is a problem.

Big keg can without any size listed on the can 24oz? I got it at the gas station by my office, I figure it will go good with my Jack in the Box tacos, I am sitting at my desk at work and I can't find my pint glass, I have to use my coffee mug. It pours clear straw golden color with a decent white head that doesn't last very long, light grainy and flowery aromas(no skunk).Bready and grainy flavors, light to medium bodied, finishes clean with a mild sweetness, not all that bad.

2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

The first thing that hits me opening the bottle is the smell. I smell it when I open it, and after swallowing the smell lingers. Pale gold in color, medium head like brine in the sea. Its what people always seem to buy me when we go out. After 4 or 5 beers I could drink this fine, but not to start the night.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Pale gold with a pumped-up, fizzy white crown. Dies post haste. Huge carbonation.
Weak Euro-hoppy nose with veggies and traces of sulphur. This bottle was not the skunk bomb I've had in the past. Still, it is not particularly aromatic, but not offensive either.
Enters lightly sweet and partially sugary. Veggies lurk in the distance and fortunately stay there. Massively carbonated and washes the palate clean of any flavor. Malt vanishes. Suphur notes are minimal, but present. Hops enter meekly, in a lightly grassy manner with a minor restatement of cabbage.
Very light bodied and gassy. Forced fizziness.
This particular bottle was as "fresh" tasting as I've ever experienced a Heinie (and provided without cost, which is always a bonus). Overall, not as hideous as I recall.
If your buying, I suppose I'll have one. But when it's my turn to pony up, expect something else.

i am writing this review from my notes.

appearance- very transparent mild pale yellow. a white head with medium-large bubbles that last about 30 seconds.

taste- medium bitter hops, clean

drinkability-not very

the only times i buy this beer these days is when i'm craving some beer but absolutley will not drink the macro crap at the beer shoppes that stay open late, have no selection, but happen to carry heineken. when i was in high school i would sing the praises of heineken just because no one else drank it. these days i'm smart enough to know that it really isn't that great of a brew, but i still drink it because not to many other people do. (in indiana anyways)

that heinken is wierd though; skunked or not, i always seem to have a good time. or is it just nostalgia?

2.2/5  rDev -20%

Of all the beers in the world, his one (or Guiness) might just have the most militant following. I don't know if I'm a simple minded bafoon, but I just don't get it.
I'm looking at a pale yellow beer that is almost the color of straw with a head that not only is fickle in the first place, but fades away pretty quick. The smell was skunk. From the taste I get slight hops...veggies...more skunk.
I'm sorry heineken drinkers, I just don't see it. My verdict is...

2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Got this on tap at BW3's, a crowded place with what I assumed was high turnover of their barrels. Beer was dark golden color, nice hop aroma, nice carmel malt and hop first taste, but it thinned out pretty quick. I'll take it over Bud and Miller, but only if a micro brew is not available

2.61/5  rDev -5.1%

Golden, clear beer pours from a green bottle and displays a bright white head. It's all downhill from there. High carbonation and a continental hop aroma mixed with corn. Light, watery body with a vegtable-grainy taste. Dry, crisp finish. Strictly unsatisfying.

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured out a big white head with a body that was golden. A hop smell with a touch of the metal. I have a friend who drinks it frequently and I am always happy to join him. Some say there is an unpleasant aftertaste but if there is it certainly doesn't bother me (maybe that says something about me!).

I think it is a great beer to start exploring with. Better than a lot of popular beers it helps the newby start to explore the world of beer. The more they explore the more they will lean to other brews and the less they will choose Heineken. The other thing is that Heineken is consistent around the world - well, in my limited experience: Europe, North America and the Caribbean. So, if in doubt about the water; drink Heineken.

2.65/5  rDev -3.6%

This was much better than the bottled version however not that great.

It looked ok, straw color with a decent head that went away fast.

The taste is okay until the aftertaste comes along. A very bitter aftertaste turns me off the the heineken... even the heine-can

3.55/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I will take the middle between what it taste like here and what it taste like in Holland. If possible always have this beer on tap it's much fresher and the taste is not as skunk like. This light bodied straw colored beer with little Belgian lace is good serve cold, but also very quenching and drinkable due to its ABV. 5% so enjoy but try to get it on tap.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%

This beer certainly looks great. Pours to a generous, thick white head which stays thick. Golden yellow and color with slight carbonation. Good clarity.

Strong hop smell with slightly metallic overtones. Smooth tongue bite with a slightly sweet but non-impressive aftertaste. The famed skunkiness of this beer is well deserved.

There are much better foreign beers out there, but this beer still goes down well. Still, I find myself bypassing it when given other alternatives.

2.13/5  rDev -22.5%

My wife's friend's boyfriend bought this for me. He knew that I liked beer, and Heineken is famous, so it must be good right? Well, I admire the gesture, but like when anyone tries to understand your hobby, it just manifests itself incorrectly. Time will fix that.

Green glass bottle, somewhat nice and easily recognizable, iconic labeling. I give the beer an extra .5 for the packaging. Pours a pallid yellow. Standard lager foam cap with a standard green bottle aroma. Skunk seems overused, but its a hard word to replace. And its accurate. Taste carries some of that sour flavor, minimal and rusty malts in the background, but the overwhelmingly thin liquid leaves the mouth somewhat offended. But willing to drink a little more. Which is good, because there are 5 more bottles. Time will fix that.

1.78/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On a recent cruise, I was force to drink beer I wouldn't normally drink. While this serves to broaden horizons it also means if the beer is bad, it's all you have. Next on my cruise beer report is Heineken lager. Heineken has a reputation as the king of imports in some circles. Outside the BA community, I rarely hear people describe the taste in detail other than it tastes "funny." Well, that funny taste is called "bad" in my world.

Heineken pours a clear gold with a fluffy head that disappears in a matter of seconds. I didn't observe the lacing that I have seen other BA's describe.

The aroma is quite nasty, as if it could be worse than the flavor. This beer smells sour. I refuse to use the often misused "skunk" but it is a bit appropriate here since there was a hint of sulphur. However, I sensed that this beer smelled more like a rotten pilsner than a skunked lager.

The flavor was defnitely not better than the aroma. The sourness of aroma does not translate to the flavor. The Heineken is actually balanced in its flavor, but the flavors are not good ones. No points there but it makes description harder for me. I did observe veggies (especially cabbage), slight bitterness with a faint sweetness thrown in. It's a combination of flavors that, while none are overpowering, just don't work.

Thus, the drinkability suffers for me. However, the mouthfeel is not bad, especially given the horrible taste. This is a beer I do not want to ever have again.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%

Had to attend a function last night. Went to the bar and this was the best they had. Uh, oh.

Poured a bright clear straw color with a non-existent head despite a large amount of carbonation clearly evident.

Smell: clean, somewhat grassy.

Taste: has a grassy malt taste and some mild hops bittering. Pretty sweet overall. Hints of some spice and a slightly sour finish.

Feel was crisp and light. Felt like I was drinking a soda, though, thanks to the high carbonation.

Drinkability: overall, not as hideous as I've heard. Smell and taste were within my limits. Still, not worth the risk to drink a beer which has the characteristics of a beer-flavored soda pop. For an import, I'd expect more.

2.66/5  rDev -3.3%

Heineken, the choice of the "cool people" who enjoy paying more for average imported beer, and prefer it to Corona. Smells like rotten eggs. Way too much carbonation. But I do like the sweetness of it's taste.

On his 1994 album, Illmatic, Nas poured his Heineken brew, for his deceased crew on memory lane. They deserved better.

Personal note, tonight somebody took a picture of me in a "cool pose" with the Heineken that was bought for me. I guess I'm really cool.

2.01/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a decent head that went down quickly.

Smell – If a skunk chugged a beer then belched loudly, this is how it would smell. There’s a semblance of malt on the nose but the sharp skunk guards it with his life.

Taste – There’s a little malt in there and a balanced presence of hops. It finishes with a very light sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This one is very flat and squishy in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – This isn’t really all that bad. It goes down fairly smooth and would be OK with food.

Comments – Upon the suggestion of a friend, I went with the mini keg-looking can. He said that it would keep away the skunk. Of course, it didn’t.

This beer really does reek. I mean, it stinks to high heaven. I ran over a skunk once on the freeway and my tire smelled like this for about three weeks. The beer is a lot easier to drink if you exhale just before diving in, and then quickly set the glass away after getting your swig.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.