Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,293 | Hads: 4,388
2.05/5  rDev -26.3%

Drank from a can, I can't comment on the looks.
It had a neutral smell, nothing to give it any special characteristics of its own.
It was a semi-strong bitter taste, skunky, and had no real "flavor" to say for it.
I was unimpressed. (234 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had from tap in Amsterdam. Undoubtedly significant better than the beer imported in the US. Solid cheap lager beer. Sweet aftertaste, otherwise a simple taste. Great feel. I give it a thumbs up. (194 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Forced review: Not a bad beer. Had it on tap in Amsterdam before and there was a noticable difference between that and the bottled version in the US. Fresher is better, but either way it doesn't deserve a "poor" rating on BA. (225 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Straw gold with a low quickly dissipating head. Traces of skunk, a little corn, slightly sweet, on the nose. Light grains, moderately low hops, light skunk, light sweetness on the palate. Light to medium light body and above average carbonation. (245 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +25.5%

This beer is more of a nostalgia thing for me. Drank a ton of it while sailing around the Florida Keys when I was younger. I've loved it ever since (only because it reminds me of that trip). Seems to be my go to beer when I'm out to dinner, etc. (245 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Every single time I've had it, its had a distinctive aftertaste. Not exactly "skunk" but not exactly welcomed, either. I only drink it now when I'm stressed out on an airplane. (176 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +12.9%

This is an okay beer if you are just running to the store to grab something. A little watered down in body. Pale strawish color. A small hint of skunky-ness in aroma and flavor. (177 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Well, I drank this beer out of a bottle many times and I didn't experience much skunkiness, even though the bottles have been sitting in the basement for months and the date expired by a few months. This is a good beer, when compared to most of the AAL out there. It's a little too carbonated, though, also, it's overpriced here in the US. (339 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

All we need to know about this beer is that I once opened one up at a table while at a party with my wife, to which she responded, seriously mind you, that she thought someone nearby had gotten into a skunk. (207 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is a nice approachable beer that really encourages people to step outside their "classic American comfort beers". It's not bad, but it's not anything out of this world. I recommend it to those who have a gluten sensitivity, I've heard that Heineken is gluten-free? But have never confirmed that. (300 characters)

As with Stella, this is one of the first beers that got me in the door to appreciating beer so it will always be one of my favorites. I personally would give it a 4.5 with Stella, however it is much better on tap than in the bottle and there aren't very many places around here that have Heineken on tap. (305 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

I've had this beer several times, and it almost always comes skunked. I have no clue why this overpriced crap is so popular. It's the Budweiser of Europe. I have no clue why people here in America think it's in any way a fancy beer. (232 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +42.4%

Wonderful golden yellow appearance. Thick white head that sticks around a bit. Shows good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma with hops present but not dominant. Terrific, round taste. Sweetness from the malts. Hops balance the beer nicely. Good mouthfeel. Medium finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. Overall, A really nice beer. Easy drinking and not too taxing on the palate. I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this can was, since the beer was canned a year ago.

24 oz can
Date on can: 4069 (March 10, 2014)
Served in a Pilsner glass (542 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -24.1%

Great taste to begin with. Fresh, hoppy and a nice bitterness. Although for me it goes flat rather quickly and the taste then becomes sickly. I am referring to bottles bought in the UK i dont know if the US version is different. (228 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Very mild flavor and watery body, I really don´t like heineken for regular drinking, I get some at my friends house who thinks this is the best beer available from watching too much tv. (186 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the better big name lagers you can get. For those who have never tried, a word of advice. On tap, it's best. in a keg/mini keg, it's also great. In a can, it's often gone sour, and in bottles, you can have a hit or miss experience. I've rated it based on tap and keg performance. (286 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Enjoyable and refreshing beer for everyman and the first step into the Euro import market. Much better than any American Adjuncts but pales in comparison to its pilsner competitors. (182 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2/3 - Work Event. Drank a lot while I was younger. Decent beer, though it seems skunky these days versus a more pleasant tasting solid beer in the bast. (152 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A throwback from the past, this one usually has a skunky smell that greets you once you pop the cap....built for college kids...this is just a watery mess that somehow has a massive advertising budget to keep it afloat (218 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. but nothing special but drinkable if nothing better is available. Moderately grainy with some malts and light lemony hops.

Used to drink this somewhat regularly before the craft revolution. (234 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brilliant straw color with a foamy strong head and lots of activity.

Strong extra skunky aroma with citrus.

Very faint but bitter taste of grains, corn, and floral citrus hops.

Light body with ok carbonation. Faint bitter mouthfeel with a skunky finish.

I personally like the skunky smell in a beer, but this is too intense. Other than that overall this is a drinkable but very bland beer. (393 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured into a 500ml Paulaner glass from a pint can. No green glass issue with the can. 1 finger head. Yellow appearance and smell is what you would expect a little malt but not much more. Taste is refreshing and goes down easily. When I need a break from the IPA and imperial stouts this is still a solid choice and at $5 for a 4 pack of pints it is half the price of my SunKing addiction. (395 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +29.9%

This beer has a tremendous sentimental value to me. Growing up in former Soviet Union this was the first foreign beer I tasted. Still a solid brew to me after all these years of having the amazing American brews, the best in the World. (235 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Heineken is something I return to every now and then to remind myself about the journey that I've taken as a beer drinker. This was the first brew that I ever sampled on draught. In Holland in fact. I was all of 15 years old, and no one batted an eyelash when I ordered up my first glass. Ahh Europe... Well, decades later I picked up a 6-pack at a local gas station and was a bit disappointed that they have departed from their signature stubby bottles in favor of a more generic looking longneck. I had no plans to actually review this beer so I never even poured it in to a glass. Even so, the bottle still emanated that familiar sulfurous skunk aroma. I've come to actually enjoy that lightstruck lager scent. There isn't much else to the nose. Maybe a little corn sweetness. In the flavor department I was a little disappointed. It's been awhile since I've had a Heineken, but I seem to recall that it had more pop to it with that Euro pale lager funk. This rendition was very light on flavor. Smooth, crisp, slightly drying with just a hint of dankness. It was so much cleaner and less controversial than I recalled. Watery, with fizzy carbonation and popcorn-like hints of adjuncts in the finish. I was able to crush that 6-pack without any problem. In fact, when I was done, I wondered what happened. If not for the buzz, I couldn't be sure that I even had any beer at all. Still, there's nothing to complain about here. I only wish there was a little more of that aroma and flavor that has come to define Heineken in the US. This was so mild that it really gets lost in the lager mix. (1,594 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Actually it tastes in Holland as draft drastically different from US bottles. My Gringo friend when he tried it in Amsterdam brewery said: Wow, if this beer would taste in US like that he would be drinking just Heineken all day long. May be pasteurization kills the bottle taste. In Holland they use premium A1 yeast strain and that what makes this beer very interesting. Plus a tradition... (391 characters)

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.