Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +32.8%

Heineken is a ubiquitous beer, and while not novel, it's a good beer to have around. When I need a beer in a can, like camping trips, my standard is Heineken. On pour, it has a light bright color and decent head. The aroma is mild. For flavor, it has a perfect mix of light malt sweetness with an overly of bitterness. Very drinkable.

iSip, Feb 09, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Poured with about half a finger of head, which was gone in about a minute. Left very little lacing. Straw yellow in color.

Smell: Typical mass-market lager smell, a little skunk, but I've had much worse. A little sweetness - floral? fresh grass?

Taste: A little skunkiness in the taste as well, but there is some hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium-bodied lager, with plenty of carbonation. It finishes dry with little aftertaste. After you're done, its just a memory. Not impressive, slightly better than BMC beers.

Drinkability: Easy enough to drink, but not one I would seek out.

dbaker61, Feb 06, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden-straw body capped by over two fingers of bubbly white head that fades slowly and leaves good lacing.

Aroma: A skunky mix of lemony, grassy, and lightly herbal hops over sweet and grainy pale malt.

Flavor: Lemony, grassy, and mostly neutered hops over a sweetish cereal-grain malt backbone. It's rather simple, but not totally bereft of character. Just a hint of grain and skunk in the mostly clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a neutral finish.

Drinkability: If you dig the flavor, this delivers amazing chugability with a little bit more alcohol content than your typical macro lager.

Verdict: Unsurprisingly, Heineken is just another forgettable, bland, but somehow wildly popular Euro Pale Lager. It's preferable to a Bud/Miller/Coors, but not by much.

BeanBone, Feb 04, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pale yellow color; unpleasantly sweet malty aroma with faint hop presence, luckily it´s even mild; mouthfeel is thin and watery; sweet malty flavor, even slight bitterness to my surprise, though unfortunately the hops are bit metallic and not fruity. It´s got surprisingly lot of taste for a mass-market product like it, but then again the taste is not very good. I only have it when there's no better alternative (e.g., at a wedding).

CuriousMonk, Feb 02, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -3%

Poured from can in to my trusty irish pub pint glass,pale straw hue with a snow white head that receded quickly leaving little lacing.
Very subtle malt that may be over run with adjunct like corn, the hops are very subtle as well with a floral quality.
In the can the skunked light struck flavor is absent, a good thing.Mild hop bill with an adjunct flavor with a slight hop floral aroma.
A lite and easy drinker, I have never been a fan,but with the can the skunked out light struck flavor is gone.Palatable brew but not great.

welldigger888, Feb 02, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

My brother left a mini keg of this over, so I decided to give it a review considering this was my favorite beer, many years ago, before venturing into craft...

A - Pours a golden/yellow apple juice color with a frothy two finger white head. Not much in the way head retention or lacing...

S - Corn and malts. Not to enticing...

T - Not much going on here. Pretty much follows the nose with sweet malts and corn. Not a big fan of the skunky aftertaste...

M - Light bodied with a decent amount of carbonation...

D - Not something that I would by unless I was in a real pinch. The price for these are a little steep for a pretty average brew in my opinion. You can find a BMC that tastes pretty similar for alot cheaper...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Jan 31, 2011
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz mini-keg can.

Super light pale fizzy yellow with a light and bland nose Rhys a bit malty.

Taste is very light and crisp. It's a bit malty with almost no hops, it's quite easy drinking and better than most BMC beers, but it's much better on tap.

kingcrowing, Jan 26, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +21%

A: Clear gold with a decent head that sticks for a little bit.

S: Alcohol, a twist of lemon and some barley.

T: Plain malt early, with a slightly hoppy dryness at the end.

M: Light body with pretty good carbonation, goes down fairly smooth

This one was pretty enjoyable. I've found Heineken's to be a bit hit or miss though. Had it on tap in Amsterdam last summer, now that was a great beer. The American formula just doesn't live up though.

mdunman, Jan 21, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -55.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a light yellow/straw, clear, very effervescent, looks like gingerale. 1/2 finger white bubbly head that quickly dissipates. No lacing.

S: Sulphur, maybe a little hops, almost an ammonia aroma (urine, ok!), grains. Typical heineken smell that I've always associated with crappy beer and drunken idiots.

T: The foul, sulphur, skunky, awful taste is right there up front and fairly strong. Again I get a kind of urine flavored skunky finish. Pretty disgusting. Behind the offensive flavor is some golden malt with virtually no sweetness, and a very very tiny bit of hops. I don't know how people drink this.

M: High carbonation, thin body, maybe the slightest bit chewy. Almost drinks like a soda.

D: I don't know how people can get through the first couple bottles of this stuff, it seriously makes me want to regurgitate. My body isn't designed to drink cat-piss flavored carbonated alcohol water. I'm just a third of the way through the glass and I don't think I can stomach anymore. Drain pour here we go.

Satchboogie, Jan 20, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

This is my second beer review...and about my 6th brand of beer to try, and of those...my third pale lager. I found this beer overall to be "decent." My only other review up to this point was on Miller High Life...so I may end up comparing the two a bit as I've found them somewhat similar.

Appearance: Ok, it's the coolest looking bottle (for me) there is...hands down. Very cool labeling. I'm sure the college kids like it if not just for that alone. I kept the bottle cap. I love the green bottle although a green or clear bottle isn't the best idea because it allows light to get to the beer. I got a nice, very white 2" head off of my semi-aggresive pour into a standard glass. However, the head dissipated surprisingly quickly...as compared to the Miller High Life...which poured much less head, but it stayed longer than the Heineken. The Heineken had some lacing that stayed for a while, but not as much as the pale lagers I've had previously. It didn't appear very carbonated, but had a slightly darker (really slightly) yellow tinge than the rest of the pale lagers I've had.

Smell: I couldn't detect much in this one...slight alcohol smell...a very slight hint of sulfur (probably classic "Skunk", but not very bad). Overall, not offensive, but not exciting either.

Taste: This beer is slightly watered down tasting and unobtrusive, and I'm still at the point where I like that as I'm still getting used to beer. It isn't very bitter, and the skunkiness wasn't really there for me even though many reviewers talk about it. It was neither bad nor great. A very standard Macro Lager taste that would go great with a "meatn' three" type of meal or to quench your thirst on a hot day. I'd like to try this one in a pilsner glass to try and retain some of that head and explore the tastes more. This taste was similar to Miller High life but not quite as bitter. I wish it had just a tinge more bitter right at the end.

Mouthfeel: This feels a little more heavy in the mouth rather than a light and dry feeling that other lagers have left for me, but very very smooth. It's a light bodied beer...very very drinkable. I only ever drink one beer at a time but if I ever wanted to put down a few...it would probably be this one. It does get a little rough towards the end (skunky?)...and it's funny...as it warms it gets rough...I even tried it a second time alongside a Miller High life at the exact same temp (39-40f) and in the same glass...and the Heineken tasted warmer even though it wasn't really. I recommend this beer ice-rippin' cold...and it's funny....the manufacturer seems to constantly be telling us to serve it cold...I suppose I see the reason for that. There is not very much carbonation in this beer...it seemed pretty flat right out of the bottle for me.

Overall, I would rate this as an average, but good beer. Not my favorite, but it won't ruin my day if it's all that's available.

Luckyboy81, Jan 18, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +7%

Leftovers from new years party that someone left...

Poured into pilsner glass, presented with a good white head but dissipated quickly no lacing. Color is clear straw, very efferevescent.

Smell is grainy, corn.

Taste is grainy, metallic, with corn notes. Mild hop bitterness noticed with a hint of malt sweetness on a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel is on the dry side, off flavors do linger.

This is tolerable, though i've not had enough other euro pales lately to compare.

mvanaskie13, Jan 16, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Clearly a light lager. Skunk aromas and skunky taste. drinks like a light beer, goes down easy, not too filling, but overall lacking in flavor. The most prolific flavor in this beer is skunk. It amazes me that they still make this in green bottles. Clearly the sun/light effects this beer and makes it skunked. By now I guess the green bottle and the skunk flavor and aroma is their trademark, so its too late to change. I wouldnt consider this a bad beer, i drink it often at other peoples houses when there are no better options, but it is clearly skunked.

*note* I've been told by certified beer judges that the skunk taste and smell disappears when this beer is drank from can of keg. this may give the beer a better score.

robhunta, Jan 16, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I had this on tap along with a Bud Light which was bought by a friend. This one definitely beats out a light beer. You can tell it had a bit more flavor and Bud Light made this beer seem not as watery. Have this beer on tap and you will be able to give it a better score. No green bottle no skunk at all. I got some grainy malt that was slightly sweet which by the way wasn't a bad malt taste at all with some sharp metallic like hops. That's pretty much this beer. It tastes so much better on tap and I'd pick this beer over any of the light beers any day. I don't really have much to say about these types of beers though they have no complexity, very straight forward.

thebrood1987, Jan 13, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Clear light golden body with a small white head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell: The scent is barely detectable. Real weak but I smell something...sour, I guess, alcohol? Maybe some hidden malts with a dash of something sweet, similar to a "light" fruit.

Taste: The brew is definitely mostly bitter, but with a twist. I suppose the hops and malt kinda add a but of twist to beer that surprises your taste buds. I don't really detect any flavors of adjunct with this one. You can definitely taste the alcohol within but it really isn't bad.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side, with a nice fizz; which is what I would expect from a mass produced lager.

Drinkability: The brew definitely has some flavor, which I like when it comes to a lager. It's light body makes for great drinkability but it would definitely not be anywhere near my first pick.

I have been drinking this brew for a few years now. It's definitely more appreciated than bud light or coors but I would rather be drinking something worthy of my time. The beer itself isn't bad, I'd even go as far as to say it's good. But in a market where lager dominates this one definitely falls short with the competition.

Cheers!

-Dotson

dotsonjamesg, Jan 13, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -45.4%

Well, I drink Heineken which is produced in Serbia, and it is awful... anyway, everybody who knows what is good beer would know that Heineken is one of bad. It is only water, powder, aroma, soda,... looks and smell like beer but...

A - Dark yellow in color. Carbonation looks high.

S - The nose is light, with hints of corn and other cheap grains. Has a bit of skunk smell in the background. The nose ends grainy and skunky.

T - There is a slight presence of hops. Maybe not.

M - Highly carbonated. Feels bubbly on the tongue.

D - . Don't think I couldnt drink more than a 24oz of this stuff. Would only drink this if my options were terrible or if I was given some free at a party. :)

emiricius, Jan 12, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +10%

A- Clear gold-yellow body with a little more then one finger of white head. That head quickly dies down to a thin persistant film.

S- Not too strong in generall. Some fruity and ethanol and maltyness to be sure. A little sulfer in there I'm afraid to say.

T- Bitterness is really only found athe end. Sweet and toasty with some ethanol in the beginning moving to the DMS in the middle. Not that unique. but ok...

M- Medium light body feels ok, leaves a semi-clean palate.

D-Very drinkable I could put away quite a few (That doesn't mean they're great though)

cambabeer, Jan 12, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A: Pours a fizzy light golden with a thin bright white head that quickly vanished into a thin collar around the glass. No lacing.
S: Light grainy notes and a bit of sweet malt. Nothing special, but not offensive.
T: What flavors are there are again, sweet and grainy. Finish is crackery, and the aftertaste is kind of sickly sweet and sour.
M: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation with a tingly, slightly astringent mouthfeel.
D: Run-of-the-mill cheap lager. Nothing special about it. Perhaps better than some, but certainly not very good. Probably taste a lot better ice cold, out of the bottle, while eating junk food.

scottfrie, Jan 12, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

nothing spectacular about this lager in color/head

you can smell the hops, skunky odor but not completely offensive.

hop taste is subtle, the skunk smell stays in the back of your nose each sip.

pretty good carbonation, good crisp bite.

decent drinkability if its around at a cookout or a buddys house but not a huge winner that i would buy myself.

bierschmecktgut, Jan 10, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

The very last beer in the crap beer payoff to a local bartender. Poured into pint glass. Poured a clean, clear yellow with thin white head that had no retention or lacing.

The expected Heineken skunk aroma wasn't present, a pleasant surprise. The was a light grain scent, otherwise was neutral and bland. Oh there's the skunk! On the tongue the skunk overwhelmed the light grain flavor and I didn't taste any hops at all.

The body was typically thin and watery. Drinkability was OK, but why bother?

Widely available, try it or don't.

beertunes, Jan 03, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

A- poured a clear yellow with nice white head that dissipated rather quick, very minimal lacing, lots of carbonation.
S- sweet with a little bit of a skunky scent
T- very sweet with a corn taste ending with a skunk almost metallic note
M- watery and thin, lots of carbonation
D- drinkability of this beer is very easy. I drink these now and again good summer beer.

jeeper2000, Jan 02, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Dark yellow/amber in color. High carbonation, fizzy head.

S - Skunky, you can smell the choice in the "cheaper" ingredients.

T - Quite earthy, a hint of a metal taste, as well with the smell, it has the taste of cheaper ingredients, and as is said, leaves you with that "skunk" smell and taste in your mouth.

M - Highly carbonated, not recommended for "downing", most definatly take your time, be sure not to nurse it, but at the same time don't try to be a beer pong champion with this choice in beer.

D - I personally could drink this some what often, it's of course not my number one choice, and at that, I can't say it's in my "top-5" but at the same time, if some one were to offer it to me, I'd have no issue in drinking it.

Notes: For the poor quality in taste, smell and appearance, the price for a 6 pack and up is a bit out stretched.
Not happy on that note.

Distilled10, Jan 01, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +42.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Clear and crisp yellow with lacing on top.

Smell: Strong armpit/skunk scent that is oddly appealing.

Taste: Grain and hops, sweet honey and the lager citrus.

Drinkability: Heineken's Lager is not quite a go to beer anytime my selection is limited but it is a better mass produced lager than most on the market. For Heineken to make this brew a winner they would have to improve the head retention and the brews consistency/mouthfeel. Making the beer bottle conditioned and letting it age might do the trick.

wmtxbb, Dec 30, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Dark yellow in color. Fizzy head that is gone soon after the pour. No lacing. Carbonation looks high.

T - Pretty malty sweet. Sweet corn flavors mixed with metal and earth. There is a slight presence of hops. Maybe not.

M - Light bodied. Highly carbonated. Feels bubbly on the tongue. A good mouth feel for this sort of beer.

D - The flavors and smell seem artificial and cheap in this one. Don't think I couldnt drink more than a 24oz of this stuff. Would only drink this if my options were terrible or if I was given some free at a party.

depechemode1983, Dec 30, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +21%

Clear and golden with a thin, whispy head that quickly disappears, leaving behind some frothy remnants of what once was. Nice aroma, slightly sweet and malty with some cooked asparagus making its way into the nostrils. Taste begins with a crisp, dry and bitter hoppiness, followed by a smooth and faintly sweet maltiness that lingers around after each sip. The bitterness of the hops in the brew also brings about some very faint citrus notes (lemons/oranges/limes) that accent the sweetness and hop presence nicely. Mouthfeel is nice, light, and dry and with just a tad bit too much carbonation. Another easy drinker, in my opinion. Again, not the best beer around, but it always seems to satisfy during any occasion-

jsdunlop, Dec 30, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

24 ounce green bottle poured into a Stella Artois chalice for maximum artifice and served at 45 degrees Fahrenheit per bottle directions. Brewed in Holland (There are only two things I hate: people who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch). Two fingers of bone-white head materializes and retains decently, leaving lots of sticky lacing behind. The beer is crystal clear golden with a moderate amount of lazy carbonation.

The scent is sweet watery malt with a crisp carbonated bite that wafts that signature grassy Euro-lager aroma. Sadly, there appears to be some mild skunking as well. I should have known better than to buy beer in a green bottle from a gas station cooler. Still, I've smelled worse.

The taste is prototypical Euro-lager, which is to say that it tastes like sweet wet hay. It turns out that this wasn't skunked after all but the scent sure had me fooled. However there is a strange flavor on the back end that is reminiscent of the scent that a dryer sheet leaves on your laundry. Strange as that may sound, I kind of dig it.

The mouthfeel is just fine. Heineken is on the heavier side of light bodied but the carbonation keeps it crisp. It's sweet and easy drinking with medium sized flavor and 5% ABV. It's not going to wow you but it's not going to offend either. As such, it's pretty drinkable and it won't put you on your butt right away. Finishing the full 24 ounces was not a problem. I'll concede that this is better than the mass produced American lagers; but it's certainly not twice as good. As such, Heineken does well for the masses who want to pay a premium for their mediocre beer.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't really give a Schlitz about Heineken, but it'll do in a pinch.

weizenbob, Dec 29, 2010
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.