Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I used to think this beer was the bomb, now, to me, my tastes are changing, I no longer like the taste of Heineken, as it does taste a little skunky and has to much carbonation to suit me.

It's best served as a draft or even out of their draft kegs, it tastes poor out of a can and to me a good beer tastes good no matter how it is served.

wordhog61, Apr 06, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from can into a pilsener. Color is light pale yellow, almost clear like water. Smell is standard for a BMC, maybe a tad more hop aroma. Tastes a tad more malty than a BMC, mouthfeel leaves much to be desired. Honestly it is very drinkable, since it tastes like nothing.

merryjoulton, Apr 03, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

I bought a keg can thinking that it couldnt taste that much different than the bottle. I was so wrong, If you're drinking this beer out of the bottle that has seen months and months of the flourescent light of a gas station beer cooler you're doing yourself a disservice. Out of a bottle, i taste skunk, Out of a can... not so much...

I poured it into my standard tasting pint and found that this beer looks like an average fizzy yellow beer. Head disappears almost immediately. However, i feel it has a slight degree of depth. Light aroma, not very much in the way of any appeal. My friend really believes this beer tastes like bananas, and maybe it does. I dont get much of anything beyond the taste of diluted malt, and slight sweetness, and a euro mild lager. I wont disagree with the bananas interpretation. An acceptable beer if there is nothing else around... Decent mouthfeel, and i could pound these back. I dont think this is a bad beer...just not something I would drink on the regular.

rodney45, Apr 03, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

A good staple in the mass market beers that has just enough European flair to still be tasty after all these years. I get nostalgic having a Heiney as it's the first green bottle love of my beer life, and I think it's still good to this day. Not a great beer, but above average.

It's crisp with a malty taste that's consistent, but again just above average; easy to drink and always seems to have a slight skunky odor. Good carbonation and the ability to pound a ton of these any time, day or night. An ice cold keg can always seems to be fun to drink.

CHickman, Apr 03, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +10%

Appearance:
Bright white head which heads quickly back to Amsterdam (I suppose) leaving only a broken white haze over the beer. Clarity is of course amazing, star bright, as to be expected by a brewery as technologically advanced as Heineken. Color is what you would expect, straw or golden.

Aroma:
Some sulphur, some grain, and some grass with a small skunk hiding in it. I've had other bottles of Heineken with a large skunk in the grass but luckily this one didn't. I wish they would ship the brown Heineken bottles used in Holland to the US instead of the light struck prone green ones!

Taste:
Sharpness at beginning followed by mild sweetness which takes you up to the dry finish. Not much here to like or dislike.

Mouthfeel:
A bit thin with lively carbonation.

Drinkability:
For its style it actually is lower than I would have thought. The slight skunk builds up for me and limits my consumption to probably about 2 or 3.

birdypowder, Apr 02, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -15.1%

I do not like Heineken. Period. Whenever someone tells me Heineken is their favorite brew, they lose a few points of respect in my book. I say this only semi-joking.

A -- Meh. What do you want me to say. Horrible retention, next to no lacing, piss color. Average on a good day.

S -- Smells like a skunked beer (which is what you get when you bottle brews in green and/or clear bottles). Nasty and off-putting, in other words.

T -- Tastes like it smells.

M -- Okay, not bad in this regard, I have to give credit where credit is due. But just because it's fairly crisp doesn't mean it's refreshing (skunk, anyone?).

D -- Suffers due to a nasty smell, with an equally nasty taste. The dutch can keep this garbage, for all I care.

JJBlanche, Mar 31, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Indeed, a very pale yellow color, with incredible clarity. Head is thick and foamy without really trying.

Aroma is the kind of crisp hoppiness found in lots of eastern European beers, pilsners and such...sugary sweetness comes into the nose, as does dried corn and cooked veggies.

Been awhile since I've had one of these, and I remember it having a skunkier flavor. Actually pretty well-balanced between soft bready graininess, corn sweetness/DMS and a crisp hops kiss. Breakfast cereal and corn/adjunct-type sweetness in the finish. Not great, not horrible.

Lightly creamy, surprisingly, with appropriate crispness on the tongue. Pretty good feel, I probably enjoyed this aspect the most; it certainly made an average beer just a little more likable.

Funny how this used to be somewhat exotic back when I knew absolutely nothing about beer. It's still okay, but not terribly remarkable either. Certainly amongst the best of the pick when you're faced with the usual boring selection at Wal-Mart, a smalltown grocery store, or wherever.

Metalmonk, Mar 30, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A: light yellow with an inch of white head

S: not much, has a little bit of skunkiness

T: a bit of a sweet corn flavor with some grain not much in the area of bitterness

M: average yellow beer watery feel with a bit bigger carbonation

D: another one thats easy to plow through when you're not going for quality

shanem, Mar 24, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: It is extremely clear with with a light yellow look that somewhat reminds me of apple juice. It has a nice inch head and has good lacing, however the head does fade quickly.

Smell: Not much in the way of smell, but it is a little musty and a little sweet.

Taste: Initially it tastes a little bit bitter due to the hops, but then the malt kicks in adding some sweetness to it. The end result being the malt over taking the hops and leaving just a tiny bit of bitter after taste. It has a rather crisp taste to it.

Mouthfeel: It is light with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is pretty easyt to consume and due to its lack of intense flavor and 5% alcohol could definitely be a session beer. However, I personally do not enjoy.

OnThenIn, Mar 23, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

Tried this out of 5L keg just for something new and honestly...though it's not a revolutionary idea...it's kind of cool to have a small keg of beer (ANY beer) in the fridge next to the milk.
Anyhow, the pour was into a pilsner glass, very cold. A rather large head formed, light both in color and weight, golden color below, lots of carbonation. A similar smell as any bottle you'd pick up with just a hint less skunk and same goes for taste though this pour was so cold that even halfway finished, the beer seemed just about to slush and what little taste there might be inherent to the brew was all but lost.
Overall though it was fun to check out and yes I drink this from a bottle if there's little else to choose other than bud, coors or miller at a bar or restaurant. The mini keg could be something for those parties to which the non-beer drinker may find some novelty in the process of pouring a glass...other than that, I doubt there's much worth to it.

rwdkosak, Mar 18, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours clear golden yellow with thin white head that leaves only a little lacing.

S- Some malt and hops in the nose but not much else.

T- Very mild hop bitterness with the slightest malt flavor.

M- Light and smooth with good carbonation. A little watery.

D- Easy to drink considering there isn't much taste. Not terrible just nothing special.

projectflam86, Mar 17, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured into a plastic airline cup, found it fitting for a Heinie. It's a dark yellow color with good clarity. Fizzy white foam fades to a slick sheen in a matter of seconds.

Being in a can as opposed to the green bottle does not seem to have helped the nose. It still has a skunky, corn infused smell to it. There is some definite hop presence, but is stale and earthy. Basically smells like a stank beer binge fart.

Taste is a dull toasty malt flavor with a fair dose of hop bitterness. Very little actual hop flavor and missing any sort of sweet malt subsistence. I've heard the Heinie in Europe tastes much better...I hope so. I dont see why anyone would spend premium beer prices for this, I find it to be offensive in almost every way. Yuk.

twiggamortis420, Mar 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +43.9%

Serving notes - poured from can, cool (40-45)
A - biscuit, faint hops
A - clear, organe-amber, thin head and quickly dissipates.
M - medium body, low to medium carbonation
T - clean biscuit malt, balanced with some mild hop flavor. Light biscuit aftertaste.
D - Very drinkable light beer. Not bad from the can.

Yeastcakes, Mar 13, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

this to me is a good but less then beer,,,,some freinds swear by it but my self i can take it or leave it....it was drinkable but barlely,,its funny now that i think about it,,i used to drink beers like this all the time but then after finding so really good beers it seem the run of the mill everyday beers just dont see to do the trick anymore,,,,

greywolf, Mar 12, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass. There was no freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Its color was a bright straw yellow with very good clarity and some nice visible carbonation. The head was bright white in color, average in size but fades out fast leaving not much in the way of lace.

Smell: The aroma had a fairly clean light grain and light floral hops with just the slightest funk.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor is clean and crisp. Malt flavor is light with a dry biscuit like grain mixed with some very light floral hops. The body is light with a thin easy drinking texture. Its carbonation is balanced and the finish is fairly dry, clean and crisp.

Notes: This is your very simple, basic Euro lager for trendy people to say hey look at me I'm drinking an import. Still it's not bad.

generallee, Mar 12, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

My friend claims its the best commercial lager out there--> this man no longer reviews beer with me, this was the last straw. Sorry Jake.

A- Palest Yellow. The pour produced a light wispy head of "bath bubbles" The beer is releasing its volatiles (carbonation) with alot of intensity. The head disappeared to the edges of the glass within two minutes.

S- Musty, unlike a damp dog it smells like the city streets outside. The smell then clears up and kinda smells bitter.

T- There was a little bitterness and a slight metallic taste. The beer was certainly cold but the carbonation helped ease this taste. Its also quite clean and crisp.

D- Good because my friend paid for it. I have had worse cheap and expensive beer. For a free lager I am not complaining.

TubaManJack, Mar 10, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +46.9%

first off the only way i will drink heineken is in a keg can for some reason, that's the only way i like it. bottles do not do this beer justice at all. the appearance is that of a typical lager with the standard golden color. a slight skunky smell and a strong hoppy flavor. the mouthfeel is carbonated and crisp. one of those beers that i really need to be in the mood for, a little overpriced but satisfying when you have some extra cash.

-RR

P.S. Keg can! Keg can! Keg Can!

RollingRocker, Mar 07, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: A very clear lite yellow with big head at fist that disapers rather quickly and leaves no laceing.

Smell: Has a very strong skunky smell ounce you get past that you can smell some hops.

Taste: Slightly sweet skunkyness but its a good skunky flavor not bad

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin but very smooth with good carbonation

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable I order it alot when im out to eat its usualy the best choice (the other crap they have is bud or bl or cl) and i think it goes good with italian food. Never really buy it in cases though

yuenglings, Mar 01, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

Pale yellow in color. One of the clearest beers I've seen. This stuff is clearer than some mtn. streams. Nice 1/2" snow white head initially, but it quickly fades and leaves nothing. There's not even a hint that a short while ago there was foam on this beer.
Grainy and mildly musty smelling. Nice hint of some herbal hops in the aroma.
I like the way Heineken taste. For what it is...it's a flavorful beer. Nice mixture of sweetness and bitterness. Same faint hint of herbal hops that's in the aroma. For a macro lager, imported or domestic, it's a pretty flavorful beer.
Mouthfeel is thin, and crisp. It also feels clean if something can feel clean.
The main reason I don't drink more Heineken is the price. At 8$ a sixer it's often more pricey than some better local micros.

wcudwight, Feb 28, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a decent one finger head with decent retention and lots of effervescent bubbles. Piss yellow color.

Smell is of pilsner malt, a tiny bit of cooked vegetable underneath. Tiny hint of skunking, but not really.

Clean flavors, nothing off about it.

This beer is crisp and light and full of no frills. Not bad, but it's pretty flavorless.

jasonjlewis, Feb 27, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

A~ Golden yellow with a 1 inch head with no lingering power. Did lace the glass nicely. I could see the carbonation power through clear-like liquid. Looked like what it is.

S~ well this part of the beer stinks, literally. Kinda a skunkyness smell, leading you to the bitterness. Not the worst smell but def not the best.

T~ This is where the beer scores points. Initial hoppy bitterness is quickly erased by pleasant taste of slight bitter fruitiness. It was enjoyable to me. Then the carbonation washes it all away into a smooth finish that left me wanting more.

M~ yeast,hops, and bitterness~ nothing special , but not bad.

D~ This is a good session beer for import drinkers. I'd personally prefer a micro domestic lager. Good overall and it's a lager people, judge it that way!

Coorskid33, Feb 22, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Golden with a small army of bubbles eagerly marching towards a barely existent head. The head forms no peaks and meagerly covers the beer below.

Smell: Reminds me of rice crispies or corn flakes. Smell is light and subtle.

Taste: Light and sweet notes, no hop taste. Somewhat bland and unidimensional. Leaves a grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but smooth.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink and refreshing.

KenC411, Feb 20, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +37.6%

(from a 24oz tall boy)

Appearance: Golden yellow at pour. Not much else to say here.

Smell: I want to say it smells like old beer. It is not a pleasant odor. Thankfully, it really doesn't translate to the taste too much.

Taste: Light and Crisp. A distinguishing aftertaste lingers, but is not a bad one.

Mouthfeel: Refined, yet not over the top. Can't complain.

Drinkability: I could drink these all night. I have in the past and I will continue to. Great drinkability.

garylee, Feb 15, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a short lived white head that left no lacing on the way down. The aroma is textbook Euro lager with lots of grains, especially corn, and light malts.

The taste is sweeter than the aroma would indicate with some sweet malts and grains. There is a fairly abrasive bitterness in the finish though not extremely off-putting.

The mouthfeel is a tad thin but not terrible for the style with lots of carbonation.

This is certainly not a beer I would drink frequently but it's better than many other options out there.

gford217, Feb 11, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a pale yellow color with a minimal white head that settles rather quickly.

Smells of corn and grass, with only a slight bit of skunkiness.

Taste reveals some grassy tones and a slight malty sweetness, a little skunk. Not quite as bad as I remembered and served this cold its mildly refreshing.

Lots of carbonation here. Nothing great but it works for what its trying to be. Pretty refreshing and I have family members who love this stuff so if they were to offer me one of these after mowing their lawn, I doubt I would turn it down. Of course, I wouldn't be the guy to run out and buy this myself.

Vengeance526, Feb 08, 2009
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.