Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

I didn't like this beer as much as I thought I would. It was very light and had almost no head so I could be very agressive with the pour. It was not a very heavy beer, which I dislike, and it had a very tart tast to it. It was almost like I was drinking old beer that had been out for a while. Not something to get when your in a bad mood.

Cheers!

smithza9, Feb 27, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

0.5l can served in an ordinary glass.

A: Pours a pale golden yellow color forming a big fluffy aired white head. Medium retention and some lacings left

S: Very characteristic Heineken smell of sweet malts and grassy/skunky hops

T: As the nose, the characteristic taste of sweet malts, skunky hops and Lager yeasts. End is reasonably bitter

M: Very light body and high carbonated level. A refreshing session beer. Aftertaste is citrus hoppy bitterness

O: good drinkability. Heineken has somehow, personality. Its smell and taste are a trademark

eduardolinhalis, Feb 26, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +10%

One of the first imports I ever had, along with Tuborg and Ringnes.

Looks like beer, laces like beer, tastes like beer. Maybe better than Stag or Schlitz.

Not impressed, or depressed about this beer. Has some flavor, but not a whole lot. Pretty convinced there's a lot better lagers out there.

rednrag, Feb 14, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +45.8%

The apperance is average with a light straw color. The smell is nice with a real nice hint of skunk. The taste is good though quite light considered to the smell. The mouthfeel is light but noticable wich finishes to a nice drinkablility. Pretty good beer in my opinion. Go out and get one you want be dissapointed.

kdawg105, Feb 11, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -39.1%

So far, I've seen very few exceptions to the "if it's brown, I'm down, if it's green, flush it down the latrine, if it's transparent, skunking is apparent" rule, but Heineken is no exception. Subpar appearance, an overpowering skunky nose, only somewhat remedied by a crisp mouthfeel. I'm just not impressed by this beer.

tjd112, Feb 11, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

Per the other 2/9/2010 H review, I too wanted to share my findings related to the 5 Liter mini keg of H. I normally don't write up beer reviews. However, I did want to also confirm that H, from the tap, is the only way to purchase this beer in light of inconsistency & the sheer cost.

I had the pleasure of getting a few drafts from the 5 liter keg that was housed in a beertender-kegerator. When comparerd to those mean green bottled versions, they are like 2 different brews entirely.

To make a short review longer, Heine., on draft, excells when compared to the cans / bottles.

woooch, Feb 10, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +37.6%

You gotta' love the Euro inspired directions included for tapping the 5L mini-keg. Trying to avoid catastrophe by breaking the plastic induction molded parts I referred to the professionals on you-tube for the answers. It's amazing how many videos depict troubled souls attempting to put this thing together when the only desire is to pour a cold one. Who wouda' thunk it was as simple as push and pull! Yet I digress....Like most who have poured from the 5, one instantly realizes the extraordinary difference by the lack of the skunk-funk that is omnipresent in the bottle version. With this, H pours a crisp 14k gold with a impressive head that is not seen in the bottle variety. Clean, crisp and almost velvety in the mouth, this brew will provide massive drinkability and extended session enjoyment for all who partake. Cost wise at 16 bucks a keg, it's more price efficient to draw your beer from the keg than pop those mean green bottles. Tap one today!!

barknee, Feb 10, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Before I review, I have to acknowledge that this is my 100th BA review....who knew it would be such a commonly drank beer but here goes!

A- Poured fairly hard into my glass and this has a nice thick head, but it is quite fizzy and disappears really quickly, settling down to a thin film over top the beer. The color is a very clear(one of the clearest beers I've ever seen) yellowish, grassy tone. There is no lacing to speak of and it looks very carbonated. The bottle is very cool looking in my opinion however.

S- The aroma is very clean, but grainy and with a fairly potent skunked smell. There is some mild hop bitterness but this is fairly week. Once the beer has had some air, there is some moderate sweet malts detectable. The overall aroma is a bit adjunct-ish.

T- Clean....very clean. The sweet malt is there, but it is more of a dry grassy/grainy flavor. Better than some of the Euro lagers I've had, but it still has a bit of a corn/vegetable flavor. Hop bitterness hits the palate quickly but doesn't last.

M- Most definitely a thin bodied beer. The carbonation is moderate, however it does have a somewhat smooth feel.
The beer is dry and keeps me grabbing the glass for another drink.

D- While this is a fairly average beer in my opinion, I don't mind it and think it's very easy to drink. It doesn't have a heavy flavor and goes down easy. A great palate scrubber and a very good beer to enjoy in hot weather, but it's also okay as a beer for everyone to enjoy in the pub.

ChrisCage, Feb 08, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

a Very mediocre beer to say the least. Way to commercial for my liking and basically just a typical euro lager. Heineken has a very pale appearance and whats noticable about it, it has a strange aftertase unlike anything ive had before, ill admit once you get a few in ya it becomes a lot more tolerable and even slighly enjoyable. Its mouthfeel is average at best with no outstanding qualities. I would not buy this again but i would certainly drink if offered.

dinnersd, Feb 05, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

Single bottle poured into a pilsner glass at a nice restaurant. Never saw the date on the bottle as it was poured by the waiter before I got a chance to do it.

Appearance: Golden yellow color, plenty of carbonation coming up in the glass but very little if any foam or lacing. Nothing special. Classic beer image but without the foam.

Smell: Some of that classic lagery malt, just a hint of hops in there, but faint.

Taste: Starts of malty, with just enough hops to balance it out. Nothing special, but well balanced. It did what I was hoping it would in a restaurant with a weak beer selection; cleanse the palate between bites and accentuate the strongly flavored meal (roast duck in this case) as something refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Mild amount of carbonation on the tongue and just thick enough to go down easily and clear the palate in between bites of the meal.

Drinkability: I have to rate this above average. Very sessionable and enjoyable just enough to have another one when nothing else is available. I feel like I had to settle for this beer, but, it does go very well with food. Sure, there may be better, but this one works in a pinch.

damndirtyape, Feb 04, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

I've had Heineken several times since my last review three years ago. I have a bottle in my possession after I gave one to myself at a party last weekend. Let's see what happens when I think deep about this beer:

Into a flute it goes, the beer has a paleish yellow/gold color and a big soapy head on top. it falls to a paper thin lace with a few spots of lace. In the nose, there is sulfur, herbs, and a thin pale malt base. Not as sulfury as expected.

Not a whole lot to taste. Some sulfur and thin maltiness are the highlights. It is thin in the mouuh. Not watery, just thin. Not much action by the carbonation either. Sigh....a little sulfur flavor in the aftertaste.

Heineken isn't very exciting beer to drink. Something seems missing to the equation, and it also seems they added one wrong thing to the formula. I can cope drinking a few, but it won't be my first choice.

DoubleJ, Feb 03, 2010

Pours with a very light golden color, transparent in body, and a minimal head. Has a prominent malt smell, almost skunky. Definitely a euro style beer. Tastes are malty, but with a crisp finish that I enjoyed. It's an easy beer to drink, but getting over the bitterness is a task. I could drink this easily but I definitely see why one might have a tough time.

fjordhook, Jan 30, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Look: Poured 12 oz "keg" can into mug. Same yellow lager color. 2 fingers of foam, which quickly disappears. Good carbonation through drink.

Smell: Sweet smell, a little sugary. Sort of a grassy smell, with light malts.

Taste: Has a bitter taste to it. The sugar smell, adds a sugary taste. Nothing really that unique in the taste department.

Mouthfeel: That bitter taste lingers in your mouth, more than it should. Kind of knocks it down a few pegs. Doesn't really stay wet in your mouth.

Drinkability: Above average, but the bitterness puts off which could be an excellent drinkability. Nothing really that spectacular about Heineken, I'll stick to the American beers.

NOOGIE, Jan 27, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

pours bright clear yellow gold with a 1+ finger head that left some spotted lacing

smell - i pickup no skunk - sweet grains and earthy hops

taste is much like the nose sweet grains and somewhat bitter grassy hops - but overall watery thin

mouthfeel is light but not enough carbonation imo - very smooth

drinkability is ok - i would drink this over any american macro

jsh420, Jan 25, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Heineken in bottles is not a beer that is worth getting especially when it's sold as a premium choice over budweiser. I'm sometimes unfortunate enough to be a bar where the only choices are domestic macros with Heineken as the premium choice.

I would buy a Budweiser over this beer most times. Heineken was the cool/high-end beer when I was a kid but now I won't waste my time with it.

However, if you're in europe and it's available on tap it is much better.

david18, Jan 24, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +40.2%

This beer is one of the staple beers my peer group enjoys for many reasons. In the American beer drinking culture it is exactly what people are looking for: a easy-drinking lager with a light body and a light hop presence. For the American light lager fan it is great. However, for the seasoned beer drinker, it lacks any outstanding qualities yet still offers a good alternative to Miller and Bud. Light in body and easy to drink, this sparkling clear beer is a textbook lager. The taste offers slightly earthy and crisp hop notes, but lacks an attractive aroma. Also lacking in mouthfeel due to watery quality. Although, on a hot summer day around a backyard barbeque, you can toss me about 6 or 7 Heines and I won't have a problem with that.

ShiningWater, Jan 24, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

Clear, pale yellow, and devoid of head 5 seconds after the pour out of a 24oz. bottle. Smell has a touch of skunk, but not too bad. There are also touches of grass and sweetness. This sounds odd, but I also sense a hint of coffee in the smell and taste. There seems to be nothing roasted here, so I'm not sure what gives the beer this quality. Goes down easy and is pretty refreshing. I am actually enjoying this beer which I wasn't expecting. I've had some pretty skunkified versions of this in the past.

alkemy, Jan 23, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The pour is a clear pale golden color with a fluffy white head that actually leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Having had Heineken many times before and having experienced plenty of skunky bottles, I was pleasantly surprised at the absence of the skunk. The nose was all sweet grain, no hops, and perhaps a touch of malt.

T: Like the nose, this beer is incredibly sweet. The malt is a bit more noticeable in the flavor than the nose, with the grain not too far behind.

M: The body is light with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Certainly not a great beer like so many people seem to think it is, but it's not the worst pale/adjunct lager out there. It's tolerable when it's not skunky, but still not my first choice.

womencantsail, Jan 18, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle:

A: The beer appeared a bright golden color with a light, white, foamy 2 finger head.

S: Light aroma, grain and corn.

T: I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, much stronger than expected, but the taste is mainly grainy and corny with a very light hint of hops. Maybe a slight hint of sweetness as well.

M/D: The beer felt light, crisp and pretty refreshing with a little bitter aftertaste. I am certainly not as disappointed as I expected to be going into it. Overall, not too bad, but I would not buy it, but I would drink it if I had limited options.

PhillyStyle, Jan 14, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce green bottle with no freshness date. Good light, light golden appearance. No real head or lacing to mention. Smells like malt and sugary sweetness. There is a slight bite to the taste. Sweet and bubbly, not bitter at all but a solid bite on the end of my tongue. All and all a pretty easy drinker. I probably pound a few of these in a row.

mtnbikerpa, Jan 14, 2010

It always amuses me that this is marketed as a go-to beer at "clubs" I've been to. Not that I go to clubs often, but it's just a strange beer to think of as classy and superior. Smells and tastes skunky. Kind of like old dishwater and weed. Somewhat metallic in flavor as well. A slight sweetness lingers. High carbonation that hits your tongue. Somehow it's not terrible though. I would still take this over a Bud Light.

Trappissed, Jan 11, 2010

Right now I am drinking some of this stuff from a case of cans left over from our Xmas stock, it's truly disappointing.
So why did I rate it fairly highly you ask?
With good reason is the answer...
I hardly ever like beer from a tin but this review is my review of the Heineken from the taps of some great bars in Amsterdam where the experience of Heineken is actually quite enjoyable!
Firstly when you get your stein of Heineken and stick it under your nose you'd be forgiven for thinking someone has lit up some local herb right next to you, smells of good fresh herb or freshly cut grass but also the normal lager-y aroma.
Tastes very different to the Heineken on tap around this fair city, very pleasant on the tongue and very drinkable.

ABCLikesBeers, Jan 08, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

Personally one of my favorite widely available beers out their.

The appearance is decent. A golden color with a nice foam head.

Smell is of malts with a smackling of hops. Some skunkiness can also be smelt.

The taste is of malts, with some hops and a slight skunkiness. Just like it smells.

Nice and smooth with a slight heaviness.

I personally like it when it is skunked. I really dig that taste and Heineken really provides that for me. Great session beer.

danetrain0101, Jan 08, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

Served on a glass. Nice golden colour and a white head that stays for a little while. Smells herbal-like and a bit malty. Tastes a bit metallic, but still a touch of sweet . Nice carbonation and it goes down easy. It's really refreshing and a lot better than the beers made around here. Not so bad after all.

xichix, Jan 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A: Very bright golden color with lots of bubbles, creamy foamy head with two fingers thick, good lacing;

S: Smoked malt and herbal notes;

T: Smoked malt and very lightly essence of coffee, herbal notes and earth hops;

M: Very crisp and refreshing, medium bitternees and light body;

D: When i'm drinking i imagine i'm watching Champions League games.

roddwolff, Jan 08, 2010
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.