Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
shbobdb

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +45.8%

Picked up a tallboy of this the other day at a liquor store that I go to from time-to-time. The beerguy was there and he was shocked at my choice. As I walked to the cooler near the 'front' of the store he was all, "No man! What are you doing!" But I was like, "Sometimes, ya just want a lager."

And it's true. It pours a nice yellow with a nice bubbly, sprite head. It smells mostly of pale malts with a thing of aroma hops.
The taste is classic Euro Pale lager. Nice, simple. A little on the watery side. There are better examples out there.

03-16-2006 13:29:15 | More by shbobdb
granger10

Wisconsin

Lighter, hazy yellow in color with a medium white head. Moderate lacing around the glass. Aroma is skunky at first but also a bit grainy and prickly to the nose. Taste is quite similar. Husks from the grains provide a majority of the malt. Not really astringent and not sweet either. A mineral water taste rides with the malts and I keep getting the taste the whole way through. The skunk from the hops comes at the back end at full force. Quite grassy are the hops and not really too bitter. This is flavorful enough but I just didn't really enjoy the flavors too much.

03-16-2006 13:28:35 | More by granger10
skillerified

3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

Very clear and pale yellow beer with an occasional golden tone breaking through. Miniscule head that doesn't stick around long enough to hit the lips.

Definitely a lot of skunk smell on the beer (the intentional kind though). A little hop and a faint trace of spice just poked through too. For the style, it's about what I'd expect. Maybe even a little more fragrant.

Taste starts with just a faint malt flavor that grows into a bigger malt flavor as it sits on your tongue. It's fairly sweet. That malt gets a little metalic taste to it toward the finish. Just a trace of hop flavor too.

Mouthfeel is light and weak, but not watery. It actually has just a little bit of a creamy character to it. The carbonation is pretty aggressive and the balance is average at best, but as far as these pale Euro Lagers go, it's pretty decent.

I nearly loathe this style. I haven't had one yet that I would actually consider good. But of the one's I've had, this has come the closest. At a friend's house, where the choice is this, Corona, or a BMC product, I'm probably picking this.

03-14-2006 09:44:51 | More by skillerified
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

Ehhh...

Not bad, not excellent.

Typical euro pale lager. Pale yellow with snow white head, and the typical flat, slightly skunky lager smell of hops and weak malt. As with many euro lagers, I can detect a corn mash taste.

This isn't something I rush out to buy, but would accept it if offered. Probably a good summer lager.

03-13-2006 05:44:19 | More by BDTyre
palffyfan

2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow color with mild carbonation. Nothing special here.

Smell - Skunky, tad bitter, left me disappointed.

Taste - Goes down with a sharp taste. Mild bitterness at the end that lingers for quite a bit.

Drinkability - Too sharp of a drink for me. The bitterness lasts a good 5 seconds between sips which will certainly ruin my drinking experience. Considering the price of the import, would not recommend.

02-28-2006 17:58:18 | More by palffyfan
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a small Heineken labeled glass with a fizzy white head that subsided into a thin white layer atop a crystal clear straw color with vigorous carbonation. The aroma was skunky with a light touch of a bready malt as well. I think that by using green glass bottles the hops became light struck. The flavor has a very clean and restrained bitterness that is quickly overtaken by a white bread malt flavor but none of the adjunct like flavors of an American macro lager. It finishes with a slight lingering of a spicy, skunky hop flavor and a bitterness lingers on lightly. The body was light and added to the overall quenching ability of the beer, though I would have enjoyed it more had it been a bit heavier.

02-27-2006 10:07:04 | More by RenoZymurgist
nagyonz

Hungary

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Light golden colour, white, fast disappearing foam.
Smell: like water. And bitter, grassy a little bit.
Taste: Easy to drink, but under-carbonated, and, of course (it's a very popular one, has to match the demands of many people around the world) it doesn't have any extraordinary flavours. For example: no hop- so, my girlfriend can drink it, and so on....
An avarage, not so refreshing lager.

02-25-2006 10:24:56 | More by nagyonz
oldirtycaffrey

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Heineken seems to get pretty beaten up on Beeradvocate, but I like it. The apperance is average -- golden and clear. The smell is nothing to write home about -- bitter w/ the "skunkiness" most comment about. The taste however has a little bit of a kick and is crisp. This is the perfect beer for a hot summer night. Mouthfeel is fine. Beer is a little heavy, but the drinkability is good. It's easy to have this be the beer you drink all night.

02-25-2006 04:26:07 | More by oldirtycaffrey
msubulldog25

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

This wasn't awful as I expected...and on that note... :)

A: Clear and golden with continuous carbonation streams...I got avery thick white head (quickly faded) with some lacing.

S: Initially a hint of skunkiness I thought when I popped the cap(damn those green bottles) but after pouring, it was gone. Heavy malt, faint hops - nothing special.

T: light & crisp, faint sweetness. Bit of bitterness lingers. Nothing special but also nothing offensive.

M: Pretty thin, but a like the bit of lingering bitterness. The carbonation gives a bit of tingle, too. woohoo

D: I don't particularly like pale lagers, but I sorta enjoyed this one. I might even have another under the right circumstances...

02-23-2006 03:10:32 | More by msubulldog25
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a tulip glass because this if from Holland, which is next to Belgium, so what the heck?!

Very light amber color, with a decent head that faded fairly soon, but left decent lacing.

Some biscuity malt in the aroma, but not much. Mostly adjunct. Hops? Not really.

Taste is very much like the aroma: a bit of biscuity malt, a hint of hops, and some bland adjunct. Not much here. Not unpleasant, just pretty bland. Some hops finally show up in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pleasant with a nice soft carbonation roundness. Not much presence, but decent.

Average drinkability.

Overall a decent beer. Better with spicey food or pizza than on its own. On a really hot day, this would be okay. When the windchill outside is -10 (like tonight) it's a bit lacking.

02-10-2006 05:32:02 | More by ColoradoBobs
MrHolland

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours a bright clear gold color with a head small head that was gone after the first sip.

The lace on the glass slowly sinks back to the beer and does not stick.

Very faint smell could not pick anything out.

I do like the taste of this beer.. it has a very light hoppy kick, skunky taste as well. Lightly carbonated but like most beer do it goes down smooth.
This is my preferred session brew when low on funds.

02-09-2006 00:15:29 | More by MrHolland
laituegonflable

Australia

3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a golden colour, good head that sticks around.

Nose is very nice: crisp and somewhat spicy. Lightly bitter, in fact very nice.

Taste is also very good, tastes like it smells. Again lightly bitter which is just how I like a lager. It's a very drinkable beer. This was a very good drop, and it definitely reminds me why this is one of my favourite drinking beers. It's simple, but in its simplicity it hits upon just what I ask for - light bitterness, good smooth flavour characteristics and mouthfeel, just easy to drink and enjoy.

02-04-2006 08:18:41 | More by laituegonflable
rodrot

This beer pours a clear, medium yellow color with a half inch head that sticks around. Smell is slightly malty, with a very faint hop aroma. Other than that, not much smell. Taste is typical for a mass market lager, very light with just a little bit more malt and hop flavor than most U.S. macro lagers. Interestingly, I did not detect any of the infamous skunkiness that this beer is known for. This beer has the distinction of being the first beer I ever tasted as a kid. One of my dad's friends used to let me taste his Heineken whenever we went to Miami Beach in the 1970's. I thought it was nasty back then. Now as a BA, it's tolerable.

02-01-2006 13:50:30 | More by rodrot
Drew966

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

I purchased a twenty four ounce keg can, I figure its more likely to be in decent condition than in green bottles. Initially I detected a slight metallic taste that quickly went away. This is a pretty drinkable Euro lager, nothing spectacular, but defintely a step up from bud/miller/coors.

01-28-2006 01:15:05 | More by Drew966
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a golden yellow in color, some carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards. Scents of malts, hops, and kinda skunky. The taste is not too bad, but not that great as well. I really use to like this beer, but my taste has changed drastically for the better. Light body. Drinkable I guess, but not by me anymore, well at least I will not buy it anymore.

01-22-2006 16:34:41 | More by Wasatch
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a light, clear yellow with a small, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells hoppy, with some grainy notes and a skunky note as well, which seems to have been present in every Heineken I've ever had, and appears to be part of the intended, or at least accepted, character of this beer. Taste is grainy, with some hoppiness that is matched in equal proportions by the aforementioned skunkiness. Mouthfeel isn't bad, well-carbonated and crisp, but isn't exceptional either, being pretty thin. Drinkability is along the same lines, not bad, but this is a lager, so I expect that. Mediocre at best.

01-21-2006 16:33:04 | More by Mandrake
SteveO1231

Connecticut

1.2/5  rDev -55.7%

Pres: 24oz. silver mini keg can. Pours a pale golden yellow, no head whatsoever. Lots of vigorous carbonation.

Smell: Faint malt aroma, has a musty spent grain smell, light hop notes.

Taste: A sad pilsner to me. Very bland, this beer really does not have much going on. The high carbonation numbs the palate at first, a faint musty stale grain middle and even lighter hop finish accompanied by a strange sour metallic tang.

I've never been a big Heini fan I thought I should give it another chance...I'm still not a fan. Perhaps I should let my palate mature by drinking a bunch of Busch Light in order to fully enjoy this brew.

Cheers!

01-21-2006 04:11:01 | More by SteveO1231
niangelo

Alberta (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Served in a bottle from Holland... and apparently the Holland brewed stuff is much better than from here (I cannot vouch for the truth of this statement), so let's give it a shot.

Pours and average straw gold, minimal head, not much smell to speak of. Smells like... beer. With a hint of skunk, but nothing that comes in a green bottle would stereotypically lead me to believe.

Tastes like a jacked-up version of a standard macro lager, not as wimpy but not adventurous. A sticky malt taste, some toasty flavors, a mid-range hop smack, and that's about it.

Howeverm very drinkable. Not a "thinker" beer, but I'd have a few in front of a [insert sport] game.

01-15-2006 15:01:34 | More by niangelo
GuinnessHero

Mississippi

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

I got a 24 oz bottle of this. Green standard bottle, just a bit bigger.

Appearance - Very pale and yellow. Straw colored, although good head retention. About a finger size head.

Smell - Ugg. Skunked smell fills the air. I know I dont' have a bad bottle as this is very common with Heineken. Very sour.

Taste - Not bad. A bit sour, but nonoffensive. This would be a great session beer to go with spicy food.

Mouthfeel - Very crisp and refreshing. A bit watery, but it cleanses the palet.

Drinkability - Since it is a bit sour, I had a hard time making it through all 24 ounces of this beer.

01-12-2006 03:02:36 | More by GuinnessHero
fido

Mexico

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, small head; Smell is a little skunky, aroma of herbal or floral hops; Taste is malty and sweet; Mouthfeel is refreshing with moderate carbonation, Easy to drink.

A lots of advertising for this lager.

So, Nothing special, Heineken just is very popular.

01-09-2006 02:02:32 | More by fido
MSchae1017

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev -14%

This beer was tasted in a pilsner glass from the keg-can.

This beer pours a pale golden with a frothy white head that does not hold or lace. The smell is faint smell of sweet malts. The taste is also of sweet malts with a hint of skunkiness. THe carbonation is harsh with moderate thickness. The beer overall is not too my liking.

01-07-2006 22:45:31 | More by MSchae1017
casualbeerman

2.23/5  rDev -17.7%

Alright, I'll admit it, I am a little biased against this beer. I don't like the price, I don't like how a lot of fans mindlessly bash American beer while they drink Heineken and think they are sophisticated. Plus they do not pack this beer well. In the bottle (which is my personal preferred way to drink beer) the green color and transatlantic voyage combine to skunk this beer very often. For a long time I thought this was the absolute worst beer made because I only had it from the bottle. I don't think I've had a non-skunked bottled Heineken yet. Anyway if you sample it from a nice opaque keg instead, it goes from horrible to just sub-par. The color isn't bad, there's a little bit of amber to soften the neon-yellow of its nearest competitor (that's Budweiser, the only brand in the world that sells more). But for me taste usually determines how appealing the color looks. The head is pretty small and weak too, though better formed than the very worst American lagers. Smell is pretty weak on tap and a little on the nasty side. You can smell a little grain, and that's not too bad, but the hops do not smell very good. Taste still isn't good, but at least I could almost finish the beer without an effort. The malt was weak, but strong enough that I didn't have to concentrate to find it. The hops are middling in strength, not very interesting and definately too bitter. They are also a little on the funky side, though not enough to make you think they purposely brew the beer to taste like its spoiled like in the bottle. There was also a nasty aftertaste that kind of grew as I got further down in the glass. Then, I thought it was the hops which like I said, are stronger than in your normal American macro-lager, without being better. But now I'm wondering if it wasn't from cheap grains. I notice some other reviewers seem to have tasted adjunct grains, which I assumed weren't in Heineken. Anyway, the mouthfeel was on the thin side, like its American macro cousins. And drinkability was bad both because of that aftertaste that made it harder to drink as I got deeper in my glass, and in this case because I was paying for my beer by the glass and the bar hand my favorite beer in the bottle for less money. Anyway that's Heineken for you- better than Bud or Highlife, worse than almost everything else. Drinkable, but barely. And ridiculously overpriced. If you do happen to like this beer, the one thing I can say to improve your drinking experience is don't drink it from the bottle. If you like bottled Heineken you should save your money and drink Natural Ice. Or maybe just hairspray. Oh yeah, drink it cold too. I'd hate to think what room temperature would do to a beer like this.

01-03-2006 17:54:26 | More by casualbeerman
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

A smooth light carbonated taste. A bit malty and the taste of hops are present. Slightly bitter.

Overall this beer is okay, kind of watered down but it's taste isn't offensive at all. Would recommend this at a bar or there are better beers with a stronger taste for the same amount of money.

12-16-2005 23:08:58 | More by CrazyMike
tesguino

Mexico

3.28/5  rDev +21%

A beer with new presentation in the mexican market, 650 ml, a rare volume of beer, only one brewer make this: SMBC; one improved and generous beer,little crushed hops and yeast smell; round and soft taste, it high fermentation represent its clear yellow color, recommended with the mexican food; heineken it is doing what the Corona makes in Holland; 70% recommended.In a pilsner Glass of course.

12-13-2005 16:12:23 | More by tesguino
akahn

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Having a beer on the airplane. Sadly, this was the best option.

Poured a clear straw-yellow-golden with a frothy white head that dissipated quickly. This is probably related to the fact that I drank this from a luxurious plastic cup provided by AirTran.

Smell is crisp but then stale. A bit sulphurous.

Remarkably thin-bodied with moderate carbonation for the style. I appreciated this because a lot of cheap beers like this are overly fizzy. This beer is stronger in flavor than Budweiser, eitc. but not really better. It has some bitterness, but with no character. Straw color follow through to straw flavor -- rice adjunct? Even if this can is lined, I still pick up a metallic taste.

All said, this beer goes down easy and isn't that bad. It certainly isn't good, though. About average for a weak style. Conclusion: if I'm going cheap, I might as well just stick with PBR.

12-05-2005 04:19:33 | More by akahn
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.