Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

It's Thanksgiving, I'm at a relative's house, and it seems as though I'm all out of the beer I brought. However, I found a six-pack of Heineken in the fridge here and have been given the green light to have a bottle. Lucky me!

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw-colored body with a thin, fizzy white head.

Smell: Only a hint of cereal sneaks past the big whiff of skunk.

Taste: Cereal grains with a decent level of sweetness. Grassy hops with only a very subtle touch of bitterness. Hint of green apple in the finish. At best a simple beer, at worst a simple beer riddled with skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Heineken, a beer that will punish you bad flavors if you don't drink it fast and absolutely ice cold. Forget the skunky bottles, instead stick to the cans, draft, or mini-kegs (delivered by robo-chicks).

ChainGangGuy, Nov 23, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this was a bit of a disappointment. I know this beer has a big fanbase in general (though probably not on BA), but I fail to see its appeal.

Smell weak and grainy. Taste watery and plain. I'm searching for descriptors here, but there just wasn't that much to it. Mouthfeel was okay, but given the weak taste, it wasn't really supporting anything. I didn't enjoy this, and won't be back to it if I can avoid it.

Strix, Nov 23, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -10.7%

My two cents are incorporated, but that's the same for each beer, right?... Anyways, for a mass marketed/imported beer this is way overpriced and has undeserving popularity. I don't see the fuss...

A- Transparent and golden yellow color that doesn't match up to other European pale lagers... Many shades too pale.

S- Not much here, it smells kind of stale although this bottle is fresh.

T- Less here than the smell, it's way bitter for a pale lager.

M- Carbonated more so than flavorful.

D- I felt a little bit sick after a "holiday 5 pack" and couldn't go on... I made it past a few though.

ajr24, Nov 20, 2007

Not a bad beer, not a great beer. This is a vary middle-of-the-road beer. It is better than the BMC's since there actually is some hoppy taste. Back in my youth when I drank mostly mass-produced american swill I thought Heineken was pretty spectacular. Now I rate it as a drinkable average beer.

CDBeerDisappear, Nov 17, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured a mid golden colour with a fluffy head of about half an inch which quickly disappeared. Smells faintly of yeast and hops A rather mild taste with minimal bitterness and not too high on the fizz. Not overly flavourful though. Is drinkable but not something I'd actively seek out.

madvoice, Nov 15, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

light, golden straw color. bright and clear, with quickly fading head and almost no lacing.

hint of floral hops and trace of malt, but not much. relatively clean nose.

taste of grains, slight grassiness or herbal touch, followed by acidity and then a dry bitterness. nothing spectacular, but reliable.

crisp and slightly watery, but not too bad.

perfectly drinkable in a can or on draft. avoid those dreaded green bottles when you can...

tai4ji2x, Nov 14, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pale golden colour with a few centimetres of tight white head that falls away somewaht quickly. Heaps of small carbonation bubbles racing to the top.
S - Grainy malt with some faint grass & herbal spice hop notes.
T - Sweetish malt taste and cooked vegies.
M - Pretty light bodied with a high carbonation.
D - Not the worst I've had & I guess it's sessionable. There are countless others I'd go to before this.

brendan13, Nov 11, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

I was poured a copped 12 oz green glass bottle into a chilled pint glass at a local bistro.

A: It poured a light golden straw color with a limited bone white head of less than one finger. The head receded fast and a negligible lacing formed then disappeared.

S: It has the mild aroma of malt and a lingering sour odor grass aroma that was very unappealing.

T: It had a lightly sweet malt front end, a light hoppy bite (more of a nip) in the finish and an unplesant sour aftertaste. Little carbonation and light ABV.

M: It has a light body and a smooth presence and a lingering aftertaste.

D: A decent lager with an odd aroma that will keep me from having it again.

dnichols, Oct 26, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +45.8%

Appearance: Gold/yellow. Dense, foamy white head. Cool can.

Smell: Clean, straightforward hops. Grass.

Taste: Creamy with a mild hop character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a refreshing bite. Good carbonation balance.

Drinkability: A great light bodied beer. I feel the canned version is consistently superior to the bottled version.

SargeC, Oct 25, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

I've had this beer plenty of times in the green bottle and many times the beer has been light polluted and skunky. So this time I tried it in that can that looks like a hand-held keg. I think it may have helped. The typical skunkyness is not present. Unfortunately, neither is the hype about the taste that the commercials have us believing. This beer is marketed as a premium import but it's nothing fancy. Simple light gold see-through beer with plain white disappearing head. Smells OK. Light hop and Malted barley scent. Nothing special and nothing jumps out at you. Tastes just how it smells. Slightly better than your usual macrobrew. Light and watery in the mouth but I sure could drink a gob of these if I had to.

berserker256, Oct 22, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Heineken pours a clear light golden color with a decent head that lasts for a minute or two. The aroma is sweet and grainy with hints of malt and not much else. The flavor is crisp with more of the grainy flavor and a hint of sulfur. There is less malt sweetness than in the aroma. No real hop flavor to speak of but there is a slight bitterness. My only real problem with this beer is that it is priced at the same level as craft beer, but has the flavor of a decent macro. Why waste the energy getting it across the ocean when you can get a similar tasting beer locally.

ericj551, Oct 20, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Heineken used to taste different 20 years ago than it does today. I think they changed the beer. Out of a magnum can it's OK, a drinkable macro, but not as good as Beck's in the same price point. Heineken is just lacking character, and the hop taste I remember is no longer there.

sudz42, Oct 17, 2007
1.7/5  rDev -37.3%

This beer is no good. Skunked. It poured a light piss colored yellow that smelled alot like, well, a skunk. The taste was not much better as it was pretty skunked. This is not the first Heineken I've had, just the latest. They all have tasted the same. Skunked. Don't drink this beer or let people fool you into thinking this is a good beer. In all my years, I have never had a fresh tasting Heineken, all have been skunked. Maybe it's better in Holland, but until I get to Holland, this is all I can get my hands on.

erosier, Oct 17, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Good luck finding one that isnt skunked. Probably a good idea to review this beer when trying it on-tap, as that pretty much nixes any chance of serious skunking.

Its really hard to make a consistent beer in a green bottle, and then ship it overseas and expect it to always be the same, so I'm not sure why these companies even try.

Anyways, Ive had quite a few of these in my day. Ranging from a decent, average beer, to a beer so skunked I have to quickly choke it down so I can get on to the next one. Its always a simple yellow/golden color, a tad on the fizzy side, with very little head retention. Easy to drink when tried on-tap, but still not that great of a beer. This one is more of a marketing success than a brewing success. I'd suggest trying it on-tap, but where I'm from if a place actually has heineken on-tap, they probably also have something better available.

jasonpeckins32, Oct 16, 2007

This one came in a 500 ml tall can,and i must say i enjoyed this one a lot more than the one in the green bottle.Straw yellow clear color with a bubbly white head and little retention and mild lacing.Nose had no skunk to it at all,not like the bottled version,musty grass aroma along with grains and mild floral greets the nose,taste is a little bitter and tartiness at the same time,grass and grains comes thru,goes down thin with some carbs bubbling in there,easy to drink,not a bad beer,quite refreshing too.

GrimmReaper, Oct 14, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +63.5%

In BC we now have a 5L keg for sale at the liquor stores. Kegs=no skunk=good rating

Appearance: Lager style light yellow with a billowing head on the pour. The keg may have been tapped a little too soon.

Smell: The aromas are much that same as the bottled product. Spicy hoppiness, but without the nasty skunk smell.

Taste: Sweet, yet has a hoppy bite at the end. This is what Heineken was supposed to taste like...If only the brewery would stop shipping it in green bottles. The Heineken mystique might disapper, but so would the skunk, and trust me...The taste of this beer is so much better out of the keg it's not even funny.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated and a sharp bitter bite at the end.

Drinkability: There's a reason why they sell this in mini kegs the stores. It's VERY easy to drink and a beautiful session-type beer.

I know this review is going to seem atypical from the majority(bottles), but I felt compelled after I was pleasantly surprised by the actual quality of the beer when it isn't full of impurities. I will buy the kegged version again...The bottles...not so much.

Hornet2003, Oct 09, 2007

1pt 8oz bottle.

A - Not sickly yellow like most macros are, this has a nice bronze quality to it, lots of head, although it disappears rather quickly.

S - Slightly bitter with a hint of something metallic.

T - Hmmm, like pocket change settling in a run of the mill lager. Not bad, just not outstanding.

M - Light bodied and crisp, again, nothing special.

D - Decent, although I suspect too many would give me heart burn. All in all not a bad beer, I'd drink it if it came at domestic pricing.

PhageLab, Oct 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +24.7%

Fairly light in all respects. Smooth...not hoppy (which is ok by me)...and quite sweet. The aftertaste was almost "candy-like"...not exactly my favorite quality in a beer's aftertaste, but inoffensive nonetheless. Drinkable because it's not too heavy, and again, it's smooth. Worth a try if you've never had it...but I'm pretty sure it won't be your favorite...and not really worth going out of your way to get. Decent macro lager, though. Cheers and SAAALUTE my BA friends!

musicjustintime, Oct 07, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -33.6%

On-tap at Finnegan's Wake in Providence, RI on 10/6/07, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S: The smell is sweet with macro adjuncts along with grain and corn.

T: Likewise, the taste is sweet with flavors of adjuncts and light malts. There's very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet and a little bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, there's almost always something else that I would pick over this beer no matter where I've been. There's nothing endearing about this beer that would make me want to drink it.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 07, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

a: pours a transparent yellow color with about three quarters inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very minnimal amount of lacing that clings to the side of the glass
s: grainy and bready adjunct malt aromas dominate the aroma very little hop aroma becomes present towards the end of the beer
t: bready, cereal adjunct grains a little sweetness little hint of hops
m: a light to medium bodied beer with average carbonation nothing to write home about

overall, much blander of a beer than i expected because of its popularity...although bud is popular go figure

happygnome, Oct 03, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Heineken:

Appearance: The color is sort of like Goldie Hawn's hair way back when she was on the TV show "Laugh In".

Smell: Skunky. EXTREMELY skunky. In fact, Heineken should come in a black bottle with a big white stripe down the middle, like a real skunk.

Taste: There's a hops bitterness, with just a dash of skunk skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: I prefer heavily carbonated beers, so I've never been impressed by Heineken's flat, dull mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Despite its many faults, Heineken goes down fairly smoothly and (in my experience at least) gives you a good "buzz".

Vito says, "You might dig Heineken. But more than likely, you'll conclude that Heineken isn't worth the money. Decide for yourself!"

Vito, Sep 29, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +10%

I decided to try the Heineken Keg Can because I've heard that the beer tastes noticeably fresher. This does not seem to be the case in my opinion, in fact I found the taste to be a notch more to the bland side as compared to standard bottled Heineken.

While certainly not the greatest European lager in the world I do enjoy a Heineken from time to time usually with pizza or wings, or at a restaurant when it's the best option. I'll be sticking to bottles or tap however.

HugoGrim, Sep 25, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

App: Goldish yellow, slight head.

Smell: Typical European lager smell. Not bad, not great, fits the beer nicely.

Taste: Out of your basic Euro beers, this is pretty good. Slight, bitter, crisp taste.

Mouthfeel: After taste is pretty dry.

Drinkability: Goes down easy.

You can get better for the price since it is an import. But it is superior to a bud or coors or that kind of swill.

Amalak, Sep 25, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

The color is about average for a lager - golden-yellow and clear. Aroma is malty and not strong or complex. Flavor is crisp and refreshing, malty with just a touch of hop edge, nothing special but not awful either. It goes down smoothly and easily. An OK beer, acceptable if nothing better is available.

Cyberkedi, Sep 24, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

In my younger days I thought this was a really good beer. A pale yellow color, pretty carbonated. Faint grain (corn) aroma. Virtually no taste. Somewhat refreshing, but then, so is water. No mystique to this beer. It probably is a better entry-level beer than Bud or Miller, but not one I'd want to drink regularly.

lordofthewiens, Sep 21, 2007
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.