Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

As many times as I have had a Heineken, I was so excited with this one, I had to review it. I bought one of those celebration champagne bottles about 2 years ago. It is a 50.7 oz bottles, with a champagne cork. I finally opened it tonight. I had one glass and took my notes, then drank the rest.
Pours the typical light, super filtered clear, golden color. Maintained a very thick, slighty rocky head. Far longer than a normal Heineken has. A slight malty aroma, and no skunk. A light buttery taste tagged along with the typical euro lager. Also, to me, Heineken has always had that "skunk" to it, but this special bottle I could not notice it. I dont know if it was the cork or what, but this beer seems to have aged superbly, especially for as boring a beer as it normally is. I bragg about the champagne bottle being superior to the normal 12 oz one, but my ratings reflect the typical, normal Heineken.

sauron681, Feb 02, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

can, bottle, draft...it doesn't matter....it will always have that skunkiness....heiny tastes better than it smells...malts up front....bitter dry finish...high carbonation...good head with moderate retention...light golden hue with a little lacing....not bad...very distinctive...I can tell apart from everything...including grolsch etc...that alone is worth something...
has a kick to color ratio like no other...I get a lemon zest up front as well...I usually leave this for the masses...not bad with greek food...real cold....i can attest!

witster18, Jan 19, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

Tried this one in different presentations, 500 ml can and also bottled. I prefer the bottled version.

It pours a clear yellow, with no head.

Smells malty, but nothing exceptional.

Tastes is like a regular Euro lager, bitter and dry.

A refreshing beer served cold. I drink if there is nothing better.

moonman00, Jan 17, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +27.3%

maybe i haven't been having enough beers lately but for some reason this heineken tastes suprisingly good. decent hop profile makes up for the slightly off smell. the taste is real smooth and definitly not offensive. it doesn't really look that bad in the glass, nice golden hue. it is what it is and you have to keep that in mind. compared to budweiser and the like this is a stand out. but saying that is not saying much.

scarletfire79, Jan 15, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

This really isn’t a bad beer, especially for a European Lager, and one I used to really enjoy before I started tasting the "better" beers. Like most of these type, it pours a very pale color, with some grainy aroma and a thin white head. Taste is nothing special, but pleasant, and the finish and aftertaste are okay.

Again, this has slid a long way in my book, but still a beer I can enjoy when none of the good stuff is available.

kimcgolf, Jan 05, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +31%

I never tried to review this beer 'cause I don't like skunky beers. It's a big set back for me.

Actually it was some years since I last had a Heineken, until last week. And it was canned. And it wasn't the regular can, but one I never saw before that resembles a keg.

Pours a light yellow, with little to no head and no lacing.

Smell is of malts. NO skunkiness at all. I guess I have to blame the can for this.

Taste is what you expecto from an Euro Lager. Dry and balanced beer, with a mild bitter end.

Mouthfeel isn't anything to brag about. Simple and nice refreshing beer. Actually a good lager.

Pepeton, Dec 30, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Presentation: 12oz green euro-style bottle with no freshness date.

Heineken keg can poured into a pint.

Clear yellow with no lace. Very dissappointing.

Nothing to the nose.

Very sharp up front with grain flavors a small hop bitterness. Malts sweetness in the middle of the beer and as it warms it get very very dry.

There's better stuff out there. Especially from the Dutch.

ghostmech007, Dec 30, 2006
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Appernace: straight forward pale, yellow color with little head to mention.

Smell: sweet and grains and that lingering trademark skunk!

Taste/Mouthfeel: not to much to really talk about. Tastes sweet, slight hops and mostly grains. Finishes crisp and dry, I always have been a fan of this beer and have found myself drinking this on special occasions...I don't know why however. For the price I could do better I suppose. It's the sleek bottle that I like, I guess. Overall I do like this beer and buy it every so often.

Is the green bottle myth true?

Magpie14, Dec 29, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +7%

Poured out of a 24oz. keg can. Color is a clear yellow with a decent white head, not much retention or lacing. Faint aroma of grain. Taste is sweet grain, not too much there pretty clean. Just an average import, although I think the can does keep a the skunkiness out of this beer.

hckyfn9999, Dec 29, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a clear yellow color with a thick foamy head. The head then very quickly disappears. There was bearly any smell at all maybe just a hint of hops. Taste was very boring and a bit skunky. Best thing I can say about this beer is that it's smooth so at least it goes down quick.

shaggy151, Dec 28, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is clear-yellow with a foamy white head. Smell is of corn malt, slightly skunky. Taste is like the nose with a small amount of hops to balance. Beer is light-medium bodied with little carbonation... not a good sign when the best characteristic of a beer is it's mouthfeel. Overall, this beer is drinkable but in my opinion, overated.

gmfessen, Dec 24, 2006
1.95/5  rDev -28%

I don't know what all the buzz is about. This beer is no European Pale Ale either. Had a bottle poured into a glass and was looking forward to it until I brought it to my nostrils. It smelled like an American macro: bitter and watered down. It looked like a light beer. yellow with a thin, white head that did not really retain itself throughout the beer. Tasted like an American light beer as well; same with the mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable if you want a light beer, but overall, I was not impressed with this beer at all.

maddogruss, Dec 22, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +31%

It holds the head better than most imported lagers, with a nice pale amber color. The smell in the bottle is typically very skunky and can be a bit too harsh for me. The taste is surprising good, with a strong hoppy finish. Goes does smooth and easy, and another one is often on the way too.

I've had this from cans, bottles and tap, and I generally don't recommend it in the bottle.

zuggy9, Dec 18, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%

NOTE: I had this in a mini-keg which taste much better than the little green bottles....it's actually less skunky.

APPEARANCE
Good head retention, looked well carbonated.

SMELL
Still smells skunky.

TASTE
Very good. I would only drink this out of a keg from now on.

MOUTHFEEL
Smooth.

DRINKABILITY
Definitely have this again... out of the keg only of course.

GeneralZod, Dec 17, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

330 ml bottle served in the Heineken glass that came free with the twelve pack. This pack is completely closed in the cardboard box and this may have helped keep the light out as the beer was not at all skunked. I'm also guessing it was fairly fresh.

A- White frothy head of smallish bubbles. Pale golden colour. Few bubbles in the beer. The head whithers quickly and leaves a small ring of bubbles.

S- Fruity (green grapes). Not at all skunked. A bit grassy/earthy.

T- Surprisingly un-skunked. Sweet herbal flavour that isn't quite pleasant. Decent tasting bitter aftertaste. Somewhat too mild and watery. Still, a decent beer as macros go.

MF- Slightly watery but not too bad considering style. Leaves mouth feeling pasty which takes away from the refreshing aspects of this light textured beer.

D- Goes down easily. Compares with other acceptable macro-produced beer for the masses.

I have sinced moved on to other prefered styles. But when I was a teenager (notably as a 16 year-old travelling in Greece), this was one of the first beers that I enjoyed and actually drank for the flavour.

JOaikido, Dec 06, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Packaged in 12 oz can. Poured into 7 oz plastic cup at about 45F.
Aroma at the can top was zilch.
Poured with a nearly white head, dissapating quickly, with very little lace.
Color in the glass is yellow, not like straw, but like... well you know. Crystal clear.
Aroma is slightly lager-yeast, no malt, no hops. No taste. Essentially inert. No hint of alcohol, or carbohydrates. Slight tingle, can't tell whether it's hop bitterness or carbonic acid.
As it warms up, carbonation is slightly less annoying.
Drinkability? It's better than the other free beers on the flight. I would settle for just water before actually paying for this. Empty calories. Why do I drink this? Oh yeah, because its free. Ratings are based on all beer, not just fizzy yellow lagers. This beats out BMC, but only slightly.

If it mysteriously appeared in my fridge, I'd drink it. So it's rated "above sink pour."

BattleRoadBrewer, Dec 05, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -17%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Clear yellow lager with a non-existant head and only wisps of tiny bubbles around the collar.

S - Doesn't really smell like anything, but this was served to me at Olive Garden in an ice cold frosty mug. LIght hints of some dank hops. Not much else.

T - Pretty sweet and malty with a strong bitter / dank quality. Biting bitter brew that pairs well with food, but it's not really very good. Pretty average IMO.

M - Light and fizzy. Some nice acidity goes well with the high carbonation level. The finish is very very dry.

D - Pretty damn good for your average ubiquitous "restaurant beer." Something good to get at the steak house if they don't have any Sam Adams or Guiness (IMO those are the best two beers that you can find anywhere).

pmcadamis, Dec 03, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +57.9%

A classic. Every time I enjoy this lager, I am reminded that it wasn't a commercial juggernaut in America until recently. The aroma is "skunky", which reminds me I will be enjoying a crisp lager. The flavor is afforementioned, and has a fairly clean finish. Perhaps my review is biased, as this is an old fallback for me. The fact that I keep purchasing is a cue to it's drinkability. This beer is refreshing, if you are looking for consistency in the same old thing: quality.

ewurm, Nov 26, 2006
3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

I had to finally sit down and go over my notes to review Heineken on draft from the Heineken brewery on a recent trip through Europe. There is surely a slightly yuppified bitter stigma (from an import standpoint) about Heineken here in the states. I had to at least give it due from a point of reference. First off...Heineken is an incredibly different beer in Holland.

Nice pour from the tap, with a short lived but nice carbonated head. A sweet bitterness with characteristics of light grain bread and airy fruits. I liked the smooth flavor, and light body of the beer. It is truely a nice drinkable lager, great for a mild summer afternoon. It has a nice clean after taste, without that characteristic green bottled paleness we see in the US. Overall I have always enjoyed Heineken for what is was, a standard European lager from the Netherlands, imported for it's exotic appeal in the US. After touring the brewery and tasting/reviewing several beers from the source, I have a new opinion of a good solid pure lager, with great history and tradition of brewing excellence, but still with a slightly dismal masproduced lackluster quality to it.

mwagner1018, Nov 25, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

Heineken
12 oz can
Medium pour from the can to my mouth, and in a shot glass for color.
Recent brewing, imbibed 11/06

Poured golden with a mostly diminishing fizzy white head.

Smelt of light corn, grass.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet corn candy and light bitter grassy hops followed by a bittersweet perfumed hops and sweet dough on an average finish. Palate was light bodied, watery, lively carbonated, and slightly astringent.

Overall, it’s tasty, but a tad too sweet. Drinking this as my "cheap swill" bring back good memories of my Canadian youthful days, of when I didn’t know any better. Classic in a harmless novice kind of appreciation.

xav33, Nov 22, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a crystal clear bright golden straw color with a decent white head.

smells of light malt and honey.

taste is more of the same light maltiness with noticeable hints of honey and finishes kind of funky. The finish is really bad.

Mouthfeel is light and good carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

It's a Heineken.

Doomcifer, Nov 19, 2006
2.73/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It's difficult to review an iconic beer like Heineken: What can you say, other than "it tastes like Heineken"?

Oddly enough, the bottle I just drank didn't taste like the Heineken of my memory. Maybe it was a little too cold, or maybe I have been drinking too many full-flavored beers lately, but this Heineken lacks punch, the Euro-lager bite that characterizes the genre.

Appearance: Clear, straw-colored, minimal head.

Smell: Non-existent

Taste: Mild, slightly more "perky" as the bottle warmed, faint bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Overly carbonated for my taste.

Drinkability: Decent - Heineken is a good session beer, not overly filling or dominating.

RustythePelican, Nov 16, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

S: Nothing exciting here. Smells grainy, lesser hops.
T: Really not bad. Flavor is pretty decent with clean hops and grains. I could do with less grain and a little more hops.
M: Very good; about medium carbonation is pretty crisp and quite refreshing.
D: Pretty good; I think of this beer as a good beer among bad beers. If that makes sense.

leechungsr, Nov 14, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz green bottle

Heineken Lager Beer was a clear yellow color with a white head. The head was medium in size, but within a couple of minutes it fizzeled to a very thin spotty layer. The aroma was grain and hops. The taste was crisp with hops, light malt, and a dry, somewhat bitter finish. The body was medium-light with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was decent. It's a beer that is easy to find and better than your average macro lager.

afinepilsner, Nov 13, 2006
2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Surprisingly, not skunked. Not surprisingly, nothing special. Very pale pour with a thin, fizzy head. Not much to note in the smell other than some notable hops of decent character. The taste is weak and unremarkable. Overly carbonated with a burning sensation in the mouth. Watery enough to give it some decent drinkability.

Neehan, Nov 13, 2006
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.