Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

a-appearance is a light golden brown and a nice white foam head that lingers for some time

s-good average smell to this beer not to strong but not really that weak either

t-the taste is rather smooth for this type of beer and is rather enjoyable but not really the most memorable

m-full bodyt mouth feel that isnt to overwhelming

d-very drinkable, if yo have never drank a beer before this could be a good first even thought this isnt the best it is not the worst you could have

1.88/5  rDev -30.6%

A - Totally transparent straw colored beer with a small 1 inch snow white head exhibiting extremely poor head retention (and no lacing.)

S - Very little if any, with the exception of hops.

T - Bitter, and sour. The hop character of this beer is stifiled, in my opinion, and watered down. Additionally, as a reviewer has stated before me, this beer always tastes skunked.

M - The mouthfeel is poor on this beer. The skunked characteristic of this beer tends to linger a little too long on the palate providing additional displeasure.

D - Terrible. Unless this beer is on sale, and nothing else is available, I tend to stay away.

2.65/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance - Typical macro lager appearance. Lacks head but beer does lace.

Smell - Skunky, hard to make out what is underneath it, slightly malty I suppose.

Taste - The skunky smell does not transfer over into the taste. Starts slightly bitter which dies out quickly into a malty/bready/grassy -ish finish. Its ok. I don't really find it offensive at all.

Mouthfeel - Its more carbonated than I like, otherwise fine.

Drinkability - Aside from the carbonation, I wouldn't really complain if I found myself in a situation where this was the best choice. I could see this going as well with food as it would on its own.

Overall there is nothing about this beer that is worthy of any serious down rating. It is kind of a "just because its not good doesn't mean its bad" situation. In this way Heineken is kind of a lager benchmark of sorts for me. I consider this an perfectly average lager, no better, no worse.

2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a crystal clear light golden color with lots of foamy white head. Leaves no lacing at all. Lots of carbination bubbles visible

Not much going on in the nose, just the slightest hint of malts that are nearly buried by a skunky smell.

The Taste is not much more interesting than the smell. Slightly bitter, but there is a somewhat sweet taste that seems to balance it out. Not nearly as skunky as the nose would leave you to believe. But much like the smell there is not much here... Light bodied and heavily carbinated

This is the first time I have had this beer since I started drinking craft. The funny thing is that I used to think this beer was far and away the best beer out there (at the time I drank mostly Rolling Rock & LaBatts), now that I have been exposed to other good lagers I can see that this is mediocre at best...

2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

drank out of a bottle so didn't really get to see what color it was.

Smells pretty average, not too strong, kind of a sourish type smell to me.

In my opinion it tastes kind of like a skunk, and urine. not to bash the beer, but just not the best to my taste buds.

felt good, drank good, pretty smooth. Carbonation not too strong.

Overall i wouldn't try it again probably. But hey, there's different beer for everybody.

1.59/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from can into a regular glass.

A - Poured clear yellow color with medium head that dissipated quickly leaving almost no lacing.

S - Skunky grains and grass.

T - Almost like smell not pleasant. Slighlty bitter to start and a dry finish.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

D - Definitely not a beer of choice (if there is any)

3.02/5  rDev +11.4%

500ml can poured into a pint glass

A : Straw yellow color, a lot of bubbles. There is a good head and the foam looks kind of creamy. Probably because of the can.

S : Really light smell. Nothing really interesting.

T : Light taste, some cereals, no biterness at all.

M : Really watery, a lot of bubbles though. It is still enjoyable.

D : That would make a great session beer.

Nothing really stands out. This is an average beer. I have seen better, of course.

Yay, an import! It is therefore different and good, right? Wrong. This beer sucks, bottom line. I can honestly say nothing good about it, and I think it is pretty simply a waste of money. If I want a macrobrew, give me just about anything by the BMC folks instead of this awful offering. Just not good.

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

I've always had a special place in my heart for Rolling Rock and Heineken seems to replicate that same taste for me.

The appearance is nothing special. Just another yellowish colored beer with minimal head. In the beginning there was a little lacing but soon disappeared.

There is a bit of a skunky and metal smell to Heineken

Taste is pretty good. Noticeable carbonation on the palate

I could drink these during any time of the year but it surely isn't anything close to a specialty beer.

2.81/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Light straw color with an average sized foamy white head. Disappears pretty fast. Minimal lacing left.

S - Lager, corn smell. Slight skunky smell and faint grassy and floral hop.

T - Similar to the smell. Pretty typical Euro-lager beer. Grain and corn sweetness upfront with some skunkiness. Decent amount of grassy/floral hops for beers that are similar to it.

M - Light and highly carbonated. Crisp.

D - Decent. The flavor isn't great, but compared to other Euro-lagers it isn't bad. Easy to drink.

Notes: Decent for a Euro-lager type beer. Not good, but decent for what it is.

2.98/5  rDev +10%

Had this on Nitro-Tap. Makes a difference!!

Right away you notice that the beer is fresher than what you get from the can or bottle.

The appearance was average at best.

Smell was fresh, lots of florals.

Mouthfeel; average

Taste; Better than from teh bottle or can.

Drinkability; Less than average. Grows on you quickly and after 2 beers, it looses it's initial appeal.

That's not to say Heineken doesn't have a place in beer drinking. Just have to pair it up with the right things.

2.15/5  rDev -20.7%

I didn't like this beer as much as I thought I would. It was very light and had almost no head so I could be very agressive with the pour. It was not a very heavy beer, which I dislike, and it had a very tart tast to it. It was almost like I was drinking old beer that had been out for a while. Not something to get when your in a bad mood.

Cheers!

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

0.5l can served in an ordinary glass.

A: Pours a pale golden yellow color forming a big fluffy aired white head. Medium retention and some lacings left

S: Very characteristic Heineken smell of sweet malts and grassy/skunky hops

T: As the nose, the characteristic taste of sweet malts, skunky hops and Lager yeasts. End is reasonably bitter

M: Very light body and high carbonated level. A refreshing session beer. Aftertaste is citrus hoppy bitterness

O: good drinkability. Heineken has somehow, personality. Its smell and taste are a trademark

One of the first imports I ever had, along with Tuborg and Ringnes.

Looks like beer, laces like beer, tastes like beer. Maybe better than Stag or Schlitz.

Not impressed, or depressed about this beer. Has some flavor, but not a whole lot. Pretty convinced there's a lot better lagers out there.

3.96/5  rDev +46.1%

The apperance is average with a light straw color. The smell is nice with a real nice hint of skunk. The taste is good though quite light considered to the smell. The mouthfeel is light but noticable wich finishes to a nice drinkablility. Pretty good beer in my opinion. Go out and get one you want be dissapointed.

1.68/5  rDev -38%

So far, I've seen very few exceptions to the "if it's brown, I'm down, if it's green, flush it down the latrine, if it's transparent, skunking is apparent" rule, but Heineken is no exception. Subpar appearance, an overpowering skunky nose, only somewhat remedied by a crisp mouthfeel. I'm just not impressed by this beer.

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Per the other 2/9/2010 H review, I too wanted to share my findings related to the 5 Liter mini keg of H. I normally don't write up beer reviews. However, I did want to also confirm that H, from the tap, is the only way to purchase this beer in light of inconsistency & the sheer cost.

I had the pleasure of getting a few drafts from the 5 liter keg that was housed in a beertender-kegerator. When comparerd to those mean green bottled versions, they are like 2 different brews entirely.

To make a short review longer, Heine., on draft, excells when compared to the cans / bottles.

3.72/5  rDev +37.3%

You gotta' love the Euro inspired directions included for tapping the 5L mini-keg. Trying to avoid catastrophe by breaking the plastic induction molded parts I referred to the professionals on you-tube for the answers. It's amazing how many videos depict troubled souls attempting to put this thing together when the only desire is to pour a cold one. Who wouda' thunk it was as simple as push and pull! Yet I digress....Like most who have poured from the 5, one instantly realizes the extraordinary difference by the lack of the skunk-funk that is omnipresent in the bottle version. With this, H pours a crisp 14k gold with a impressive head that is not seen in the bottle variety. Clean, crisp and almost velvety in the mouth, this brew will provide massive drinkability and extended session enjoyment for all who partake. Cost wise at 16 bucks a keg, it's more price efficient to draw your beer from the keg than pop those mean green bottles. Tap one today!!

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%

Before I review, I have to acknowledge that this is my 100th BA review....who knew it would be such a commonly drank beer but here goes!

A- Poured fairly hard into my glass and this has a nice thick head, but it is quite fizzy and disappears really quickly, settling down to a thin film over top the beer. The color is a very clear(one of the clearest beers I've ever seen) yellowish, grassy tone. There is no lacing to speak of and it looks very carbonated. The bottle is very cool looking in my opinion however.

S- The aroma is very clean, but grainy and with a fairly potent skunked smell. There is some mild hop bitterness but this is fairly week. Once the beer has had some air, there is some moderate sweet malts detectable. The overall aroma is a bit adjunct-ish.

T- Clean....very clean. The sweet malt is there, but it is more of a dry grassy/grainy flavor. Better than some of the Euro lagers I've had, but it still has a bit of a corn/vegetable flavor. Hop bitterness hits the palate quickly but doesn't last.

M- Most definitely a thin bodied beer. The carbonation is moderate, however it does have a somewhat smooth feel.
The beer is dry and keeps me grabbing the glass for another drink.

D- While this is a fairly average beer in my opinion, I don't mind it and think it's very easy to drink. It doesn't have a heavy flavor and goes down easy. A great palate scrubber and a very good beer to enjoy in hot weather, but it's also okay as a beer for everyone to enjoy in the pub.

2.52/5  rDev -7%

a Very mediocre beer to say the least. Way to commercial for my liking and basically just a typical euro lager. Heineken has a very pale appearance and whats noticable about it, it has a strange aftertase unlike anything ive had before, ill admit once you get a few in ya it becomes a lot more tolerable and even slighly enjoyable. Its mouthfeel is average at best with no outstanding qualities. I would not buy this again but i would certainly drink if offered.

3.37/5  rDev +24.4%

Single bottle poured into a pilsner glass at a nice restaurant. Never saw the date on the bottle as it was poured by the waiter before I got a chance to do it.

Appearance: Golden yellow color, plenty of carbonation coming up in the glass but very little if any foam or lacing. Nothing special. Classic beer image but without the foam.

Smell: Some of that classic lagery malt, just a hint of hops in there, but faint.

Taste: Starts of malty, with just enough hops to balance it out. Nothing special, but well balanced. It did what I was hoping it would in a restaurant with a weak beer selection; cleanse the palate between bites and accentuate the strongly flavored meal (roast duck in this case) as something refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Mild amount of carbonation on the tongue and just thick enough to go down easily and clear the palate in between bites of the meal.

Drinkability: I have to rate this above average. Very sessionable and enjoyable just enough to have another one when nothing else is available. I feel like I had to settle for this beer, but, it does go very well with food. Sure, there may be better, but this one works in a pinch.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I've had Heineken several times since my last review three years ago. I have a bottle in my possession after I gave one to myself at a party last weekend. Let's see what happens when I think deep about this beer:

Into a flute it goes, the beer has a paleish yellow/gold color and a big soapy head on top. it falls to a paper thin lace with a few spots of lace. In the nose, there is sulfur, herbs, and a thin pale malt base. Not as sulfury as expected.

Not a whole lot to taste. Some sulfur and thin maltiness are the highlights. It is thin in the mouuh. Not watery, just thin. Not much action by the carbonation either. Sigh....a little sulfur flavor in the aftertaste.

Heineken isn't very exciting beer to drink. Something seems missing to the equation, and it also seems they added one wrong thing to the formula. I can cope drinking a few, but it won't be my first choice.

Pours with a very light golden color, transparent in body, and a minimal head. Has a prominent malt smell, almost skunky. Definitely a euro style beer. Tastes are malty, but with a crisp finish that I enjoyed. It's an easy beer to drink, but getting over the bitterness is a task. I could drink this easily but I definitely see why one might have a tough time.

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

Look: Poured 12 oz "keg" can into mug. Same yellow lager color. 2 fingers of foam, which quickly disappears. Good carbonation through drink.

Smell: Sweet smell, a little sugary. Sort of a grassy smell, with light malts.

Taste: Has a bitter taste to it. The sugar smell, adds a sugary taste. Nothing really that unique in the taste department.

Mouthfeel: That bitter taste lingers in your mouth, more than it should. Kind of knocks it down a few pegs. Doesn't really stay wet in your mouth.

Drinkability: Above average, but the bitterness puts off which could be an excellent drinkability. Nothing really that spectacular about Heineken, I'll stick to the American beers.

2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

pours bright clear yellow gold with a 1+ finger head that left some spotted lacing

smell - i pickup no skunk - sweet grains and earthy hops

taste is much like the nose sweet grains and somewhat bitter grassy hops - but overall watery thin

mouthfeel is light but not enough carbonation imo - very smooth

drinkability is ok - i would drink this over any american macro

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.