Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

24 oz "keg can."

Devoid of flavor with a weak, artificial Saaz grassiness that builds in complexity near the end. Medium-light bodied with high carbonation to style. Something is lost here with this packaging and it surprised me because I expected the can to be much fresher than the green bottles, but it isn't. Better than a skunked one, of course, but otherwise something clearly designed for the American market in packaging and flavor. This is on-par with its American counterparts, just a hint maltier than most.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jun 02, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -3%

Never had a good beer in a green bottle and this lager is no difference. It had a pale yellow color with a little bit of white foam and no lace. The taste had a bitter bite that was sort of unpleasant for my palate. The smell was grainy and had no depth to the flavor or aroma. This is one beer that may be good on a hot day when you just gulp to cool down and worry about flavor!

BeerManDan, May 25, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

From the can this is a light golden color. I drank this out of the can, which I know is wrong so forgive me. I could still smell the skunkyness of the beer. I have never had a Heineken that was not skunky smelling. Tastes slightly grainy, but very sweet. There was a slight hop bitterness, and I mean slight. Very thin body and heavy on the carbonation. Overall, this is not the worst in the world. It did quench my thirst after a round of golf, but I just can't get past the smell. I would probably pass, unless I was desperate.

Bierguy5, May 18, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Ugh. The Green Monster in all of its pretensious glory. One of the few beers that somehow garnered an identity and following due to the fact that its overpriced. When I saw a 1.5L bottle on sale at my local beershop, I figured it'd be worth the price of admission for homebrewing alone. And thus, a piss-water review is born. $4.99.

Macro gold, big fizz that disappears to nothing and leaves no lace. Huge corn adjuncty aromas. Tiniest hop aroma floats worthlessly in a world of shit-malt. This beer must be designed to be light struck; at least when its skunky there's some hop character.

Watery, boring, overpriced. It tastes good in Amsterdam, yes, but I don't know if that's because of a recipe difference or ... well ...

GreenWBush, May 08, 2004
1.55/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Heineken lager.

This is a beer many of my friends buy, thinking they're purchasing a "good" beer!?

Appearance- light yellow/ clear with s soapy white head.
Smell- oh my... cheap corn with that typical green bottle skunkiness.
Taste- sweet with a skunky tanginess. Very watery too.

Overall- this is an absolute horrible beer! It is a beer to use for drinking games only. This beer should cost half the price!

NJpadreFan, May 03, 2004
3.3/5  rDev +21.8%

I can't believe this beer is getting a 2.5! Sure it's not the best beer out there, but it beats most imports and just about every macro. It is a little skunky, but in a good way. Not something to drink everyday, but I have a couple extra bucks to splurge on booze, it's always high on my list.

cptnjck101, Apr 29, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

appearance- light strawish color...a rather dull gold. normal head with decent retention...certainly nothing special

smell- damn, this jawn is husky! seriously though, it is husky with a bit a sweet sugary smell to it. some corn as well

taste- CLEAN. so average....yet so clean. nice sweet malty taste, with some husk. corn and sugary malt aftertaste. mild but decent flavor

mouthfeel- once again...clean. just feels right, but still...nothing special

drinkability- i give "heiny" a high drinkability rating cause it just goes down so damn easy. its taste is more than O.K....slighty above average...but still as ive said plenty of times: nothing special. heineken just goes down without a problem.

maek228, Apr 29, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -38%

appearance: typical lager
smell: old socks (seriously troubling)
taste: metallic and thin
mouthfeel: Bad bite and high skunk factor
impressions: Why do people bring me this for parties? Time to stop the BYOB policy! This must be consumed cold to miss the funkiness.

skaughty, Apr 27, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +37.6%

On draught at Chez Bernard in Fontainebleau, France. Someone had suggested trying a Heineken on my trip which I planned on not doing, but due to my poor French speaking I ended up with one at lunch one day. I literally had to ask the waiter what I was drinking to be sure, even though it was served in a Heineken glass. I was assured in answer to my "qu'est-ce que s'appelle"? that it was indeed Heineken. Wow. Looks the same but the taste is definitely different. Clear gold with a medium white head and little lacing. The nose is lightly hoppy with a pleasant grape character. Very smooth body with a fruity and hoppy flavor that just somehow tastes like this beer really should. It all makes sense now. The finish is refreshing and vinous with a touch of hops. One of the only good beer surprises on my trip.

Dogbrick, Apr 14, 2004
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

crystal clear straw with a pure white foamy head that disappears to nothing. light aroma of cooked grain and slight skunkiness. light bodied and crisply carbonated, obviously going for zesty. lightly sweet over-cooked ceral flavor with hints of lemony hopiness. hops are vauge. finshes with that trademark skunky aftertaste. i had this many times on draft in holland, and it was much better there where it was presumably much more fresh. doesn't travel well, i suppose.

pheurton, Apr 08, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

This poured to a very light color with a quickly fading head and no lace worth mentioning.

There's a punch of cheap grains that they would do very well to tone down. It comes out loud and clear in the nose and holds steady right through the finish.

This best serves as a thirst-quencher or a placeholder when nothing better can be found. Its best attributes are wide distribution and better-than-garbage quality.

watermelonman, Apr 06, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottle – Poured a blond type brew with minimal head with below standard retention. Aroma is in part skunky with some touch of malt. Carbonation is below average. Taste is really light with again that bit of skunky taste coming out. Overall, this is not a great beer but [probably on the same level as those American macros and I also believe we don’t get the same version they produce overseas which is probably a shame.

Phyl21ca, Apr 05, 2004
2.98/5  rDev +10%

24 oz. "keg can"

This can is a nice grippable package!

The brew pours a clear gold with a thin and quickly receding white head. My aging, perhaps overworked olfactory senses simply cannot pick up an aroma here. Are there grains? Is their sweetness? Are there hops? My nose can't tell.

The taste is fresh and the body is thin but not unpleasant. Actually, I am wondering if if this is one of the better Heinekens I have ever had- most came from the skunky green bottles that pretended to give some character. (Yuk!)

This example offers a well rounded mouthfeel. Ironically, I'd find this to be a good brew to have for nine innings at a baseball game.
It is drinkable for the whole game.

brewQ, Apr 04, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

So this is Heineken eh? You can keep it. Wow what a piss beer. The taste is AWFUL! Granted, it could be skunky, but man it was like a vinegar and lager combo.

The mouthfeel is pretty decent, and I think this would be drinkable if I liked it. It looks good, smells okay and tastes terrible. Never would buy.

--Joey

Joey7F, Mar 31, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer frustrates me. Mainly, it's because many friends of mine consider this a "good" beer worth paying a premium for, when in fact this beer possesses no remarkable characteristics whatsoever. I'll admit, this beer is quite drinkable. But that stems mostly from it's plain taste and the extra cold temperature it is typically served at. Pouring a plain yellow with slight head, this beer basically has a crisp, clear and boring smell to it. Though you can taste the hops in there, I highly recommend almost any Czech lager over this bore fest. Nothing remarkable to speak of here.

RocketWidget, Mar 31, 2004
2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

Apparently the Beer Gods left a keg can of this stuff in my fridge, so I humbly take on the burdon to drink and review this lager for the sake of all those involved.

Poured a pale golden producing a pinky's worth of head that disappeared much quicker than my dismay for thinking drinking this might be a good idea.

It smelled faintly of hops, possibly a bit of malt and sulfur. Ever so slightly tasted of hops, taste did not linger on the tongue (thank God). Wee bit of carbination tingle. Extremely light tasting beer.

Very easy to drink if you dont care what your beer tastes like. If youre feeling frisky and looking to whap back a case of beer go for Natty Light, its much cheaper and you won't be missing out on quality.

fdrich29, Mar 29, 2004
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours golden yellow with a slight head that disappears after a few minutes. Smells like nothing special. Just your regular European lager. The taste is slightly hoppy, but is pretty bland. The only real good thing about this beer is that it is easy to drink a lot of and I always seem to get pretty drunk when I drink Heiney.

Jacobob10, Mar 28, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

As I work my way through the free beer on hand.
This actually poured with an appealing body, a vibrant crystal clear gold, with a one finger white head.
The aroma is dominated by sulfur, and this was from the "keg can". Leads me to conclude that Heineken is actually aiming for skunkiness. Perhaps their consumers are used to it from the green bottles, and think it is meant to be that way. I had this fresh in the Netherlands a few years ago and there was no skunkiness.
A bit of spiciness, lemon rind, lightly toasted grain, and some aromatic hops.
Light body, sweet.

mschofield, Mar 23, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance:
Very clear golden yellow. Head is mild with some lacing. Looks nice, but average.

Smell:
Sweet wheat and grains. Pretty light scent, especially for a lager. Overall smell is nice though.

Taste:
A mild bitterness first comes through but then a sweet flavor sets in. A mild grain flavor comes through while in mouth. Finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel:
Light and bubbly but still coats tounge well. Pretty average feel in mouth.

Drinkability:
Pretty easy beer to drink... tastes good and is easy to go down. Could easy drink a few... tastes pretty good but overall it's just an average beer.

jsolack, Mar 18, 2004
2.42/5  rDev -10.7%

It pours a clear, clear straw yellow, with less than a finger of fizzy white head, which recedes quickly to virtually nothing.

The aroma is sweet grain, malt, and maybe corn, and a light hops character, but what wins the day, unfortunately, is that all-too-expected skunky presence.

The first sip brings a crisp semi-sweet malt and adjunct impression, along with a bitter hops note. There's a metallic bite that twists into a long and strong bitterness. Overall the flavor is too thin to support the arching bite and bitterness.

Light bodied, it feels thin and washy, though not quite as thin as water. The bitterness leaves a sharp tang on the tongue as a legacy.

So why did I try this again, knowing what I knew well from my younger days? Because I believe that to truly appreciate the good, you have to understand the bad. And while this is far from the worst, it's bad enough to give some kind of baseline. That aroma...check that...that smell, is something I could never get around, even years ago when drinking it was considered hip and enlightened. Now, if I could hold my nose while drinking, it would indeed be drinkable, because it is light and crisp, but I just can't live with that smelly critter under my nose. Gone are the days when I could drink this to try to look cool. I'm old, with kids and a mortgage. I'm drinking what I like now. And this is not it.

Foxman, Mar 17, 2004
3.08/5  rDev +13.7%

white head on this yellow lager quickly disappears. faint citrusy smell, with another slightly fruity smell that wierd faint skunky smell is there too. pretty standard euro lager aromas. i don't really smell any hops. tangy, citrusy, with almost some sort of vegetable flavors. just enough hops to say that they're their. mouthfeel is sort of watery with tingling carbonation on the tongue. drinkability is average or even below for the discriminating beer drinker, but i feel that there is a time and place in which it could be higher, a warm summer day for instance. i enjoyed drinking it, sort of like i like to drink soda.

kmo1030, Mar 16, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

This is like any mass produced and over marketed Euro-Lager. It pours a bright golden yellow. The taste is a little watery and it has some soury citrus to it. Very little hints of hops or malt but just enough to pass as beer. Overall a beer that i wouldn't choose if i didn't have to.

JoEBoBpr, Mar 08, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Heineken is usually the best of a bad choice of beers for me. I hadn't one in a while but was kind of forced to drink nothing or Heineken at a Jersey shore establishment that was not prepared for a crowd on a warm winter day. Heineken pours the same clear, yellow as any mass-produced lager with a little quickly departing head and no lacing. It smells of old alcohol and a little of the barley. The taste is not awful by mass-produced lager standards but it is very thin, and almost watery in the mouth. The taste is definitely beer, but not much more distinct than that. If it had been Heineken on tap, it would have been more drinkable. I had one and left to find a bar that had better beer, happening upon one that was ready, was doing 10 times the business, and had a wide selection of beers on tap.

rdrummer, Mar 07, 2004
2.93/5  rDev +8.1%

While being faced with a choice of drinking no beer, Heineken, or a US macro, I’d always choose Heineken. That’s what I did last night, and what I got was a nondescript Euro Lager with no overly offensive characteristics. Pale clear color with bubbly artificial carbonation. Thin white head is very short lived. Aroma is clean to grassy with little touch of hops, and due to the bottle having been protected no skunk. Taste is dominated by grainy malts, but is not sweet like a US brewed macro lager. Body is also more substantial than the big three US products and does not project a watered down cheap image. A note of what I think was fusel alcohol became pronounced as the beer warmed up, resulting in the mouthfeel becoming harsh. Drinkability is quite good and beats the other choices mentioned above any day.

rajendra82, Mar 06, 2004

Pours a very clear light gold color with minimal head. Smell is sweet malt and grain (maybe corn?) and alchohol. Taste is similar. Has a little bit of that sour fruit flavor so common in american macro lagers. Mouthfeel is light, watery, but very slightly oily and malty. Bottom of the glass tastes better than the first few sips for some reason. Beats most macro lagers, but barely. Fairly easy drinking, but only marginally enjoyable.

jwilli7122, Mar 05, 2004
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.