Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +36.5%

nice light gold color pours with half inch head which fades fast no lacing at all. smelled a little like cooked cabbage to me. taste is slight hop not over carbonated slightly salty. mouthfeel light but does leave a lingering after taste. very drinkable good for more than two or three definitely a buy again beer.

billybob, Oct 04, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

I bought a sixer of Heine this evening, with the intention of writing a review .I thought it would be fun to review a beer I didn't like, instead of only reviewing beers I did like.

Except I found that 'ol Heine isn't half as bad as I remembered.

The green bottle said one thing to me: skunk! But for some reason, this six pack is skunkless. Completely skunkless, I tell you! Am I just lucky? I guess so, because last time I had Heine I thought I was drinking the output of a skunk's scent glands.

Not this time. The brew poured pale and gold, very much like I expected from a macro lager--European or otherwise. There is no head after the foam from the pour settles down, and no lacing, but the aroma...well, it isn't great, but it is not at all bad. It is very lagery, with a little tiny bit of hop character, some bready lager yeast, and a slight hint of malt.

The flavor is actually *good*. It tastes like a good quality generic lager, with little or no adjunct off-flavors and just a bare hint of hops. Certainly blows the pants off any Anheuser product I've had. I'm a little bit speechless. I actually like this!?

Mouthfeel I'm not a big fan of. In the tradition of macrolagers, it is overcarbonated and watery. Being a man who much prefers a creamy cask conditioned ale, this is not really what I'm looking for, but even so I'd prefer it to a Budweiser.

As far as drinkability, I can't say anything bad. I would actually drink this, it goes down smooth and the moderate ABV makes it a good candidate for a session. Think I'll go crack another, in fact.

ryanismean, Oct 04, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

Ahh...this one takes me back to the days when I was 17 and drinking Heineken meant drinking "the good stuff". I wonder if they still put this in the keg cans. They were awesome.

The appearance is a bit lacking I must say. Being the first time I've actually bothered to pour this into a glass, I must say I'm not impressed. Pale orangeish yellow, no head no lacing.

The aroma is a bit sweeter than your average pilsner but similar. Grain and honey with a bit of grass clippings and something a bit artificial underneath it all.

Flavor and mouthfeel are where Heineken shines. Flavor is sweet and herbal. Dry finish with a nice hop bite. Crispier than fried chicken thats been kept under the heat lamps too long. The mouthfeel is wonderful. Very lively carbonation yet smooth and endlesly drinkable. Even though Frank Booth prefers Pabst Blue Ribbon, this one is a winner in my book.

HossMcGraw, Sep 29, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle into a standard pint glasss. No discernable bottling date to be found, but I bet this macro moves pretty fast.

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow with a several inch white head. The head falls quickly to nothing, no head retention. Perfectly clear with several constant bubble streams.

Smell: The strongest smell is an off odor, the classic "skunked" smell. Past that is some sweetness and malt.

Taste: Carbonation bite with just a little bit of everything. A little sweet, a little malt, and a very little hops. Overall, a very unflavorful beer.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation level, but not a lot of body.

Drinkability: Pretty easy to drink, because there is not much too it. The off-odor just puts me off. I know the green bottle has become a trademark, but I don't understand why a beer company would package its product in a container they know will allow it to be damaged. I'll give this a try sometime in a can or on tap.

beveritt, Sep 28, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pale gold / straw.

Aromas of grass/hay, herbaceous, light toastiness.

Flavours initially of hop, followed by toasty munich malt, some more green hop following. Subtle sweetness in there. Hop lingers for a while, into a mild/medium bitterness

Well balanced mouthfeel.

Not a bad drop. I found it to be more approachable than its compatriot, Grolsch.

vancurly, Sep 19, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

This pint in a bottle was given to me by a friend. He was so drunk the night before that he wasnt gonna drink for at least a week. I said, NO NO NO son. You need quality not quantity. He laughed then said, "Rough week wanker."

It sat in his trunk for a day or so. But I threw it in the fridge to cool. I opened it when it was reasonably cold. I dislike these kinds of lagers TOO cold. Good warmer.

Appearance was nice not great. Smell SKUNK! Its nice though when you crave it. Not a good beer to drive after a few. Noticable? Most definitly. Dont do it. (pun, drinking and driving is dangerous.)

Taste was pretty good, The first beer I can remember drinking. My pops used to give me sips when we were chilling. Good memories.

Mouthfeel is surprizingly better than just the taste. Its very nice. Not really harsh. Yes skunky, but nice.

Finally Drinkability, average. I cant say this is a favorite but its a great beer if your looking for that SKUNK! This kinda fell into my lap so to say, but I enjoyed it. Skunk is what I expected, skunk is what I got.

Clockwork

Lace: minimal

Color:
Reflected- ylo
Transmitted- ylo

Aroma: skunk

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: adjusts little after many

Taste:
Start- bland carbonation
Middle- bland carbonation
Finish- bland carbonation

Comments: Yeah, I remember when I wanted have a GOOD beer I’d buy this one. It just had a little more character than Bud is all...

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- if they're buying
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- maybe

TechMyst, Sep 10, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

For some reason this beer tastes much better from the green bottle than from a beer glass... anyway...

Pours a clear, plain yellow with large sudsy bubbles. The head subsides quickly into small tight patches which look like broken icebergs. The smell is rather skunky but some how balanced by clean hops with a small note of lemon. The beer is note very depthy on taste but sure hits the palate high with a strong clean, slightly bitter hop taste. Good taste though, very drinkable.

dhilltop2000, Sep 10, 2006
1.7/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured from it's 24oz keg can into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale yellow with decent white head that quickly diminishes into a thin lace. Faint lagerish aroma with just a tad bit of grain. Taste is malty with a slight hop finish. I always get an unusual and unpleasant aftertaste from Heineken. Overall, this is a not a very good lager in my opinion especially considering the high price tag.

cjgator3, Sep 08, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -26.9%

With the possible exception of cold fusion, this is the most over-hyped liquid in the world.

Taste - bland
Colour - overprocessed
Smell - I have smelt worse beers.... the ones we found out the back of the old hermits place when we were helping clear it out years ago spring to mind
Mouthfeel - average.

I don't know why I do this to myself....

Yes I do! It is so I can appreciate proper beer.

btmo, Sep 01, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours from the bottle a pale yellow hue not uncommon for most euro lagers. A small, slightly fizzy white head tops off the brew. Aromas bring a sweet grain maltiness that has a subtle fruitiness. Herbal hops are there with the requisite light skunkiness that almost always accompanies Heineken when bought in the green bottle. However, it doesn't detract too much.

First sip brings a crisp, light pale toasted cereal grain maltiness. Light hints of fruit swirl through and it flows down with a grassy, herbal hop flavor. Slight skunkiness in there as well. It finishes crisp with a lingering toasted grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and ends up being refreshing. Not a beer I would actively seek out, but I don't mind having it now and again at a party or when it's offered to me. One of the better mass produced euro pale lagers.

orbitalr0x, Aug 25, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Since I know most BA memebers are quite familiar with this beer (and most harbor disdain for it) I am not going to do the requisite run down of the characteristics. Instead, I shall point to several of the reasons as to why I like Heineken.

Granted, it's not a great beer and doesn't have a flavor profile that compares with quality Belgian Ales or the like. However, the value of Heinkeken is that it often keeps me from having to drink truly terrible beer (i.e Miller or Anheuser Bush products.). When social obligations send me to a wedding reception or into a dive bar I am grateful when Heineken is an alternative.

Also, I spent a week in Amsterdam a few year ago. The youth hostel in which I stayed had a bar/recreational commons area that carried Heineken on tap. Draft Heineken on tap in Amerstam is a considerably different animal that what we experience in the State--and for the better. It is creamier and has less of that biting sweetness and skunk.

I also toured the brewery. At the end of the tour, which was quite informative in regards to the brewing process, in this big beer hall, they give you 30 minutes to drink as much Heineken as possible. Beer maids in green lederhosen and puffy white dole out twelve ounce glasses (not plastic cups) of stuff. I got to talking to two Kiwis sitting beside me--until the beer began being passed around, then we slammed all we could (a practice not endorsed by BA).

Who could forget the role Heineken plays in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet?" Dennis Hoper asking Kyle Maclachan: "Wha't your favorite Beer?"
"Heineken."
"Heineken? No! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
Or something to that effect, and extremely crazy.

Thus, Heineken is not the greatest tasting beer in the world. However, it is much superior to Macro-crap, and is quite refreshing in warm weather.

Osiris9588, Aug 25, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

This is a 12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler. The lager is cold.

A: A pale yellow color, clear and uninspiring with a small head that disappears quickly.

S: A semi-sweet adjunct smell, primarily corn.

T: A pale, fizzy yellow water color. The beer has a bit of flavor from the malt but not enough to get you fired up.

M: There is no mouthfeel beyond the astringent over-carbonation.

D: The lack of flavor makes it come across like water. But unlike water, this dehydrates you quickly, a real negative.

akorsak, Aug 25, 2006
2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Heineken 24oz. bottle poured into pint glass.
Let's see how those Netherlands people brew beer.

Pours a typical yellow lager color, slight golden hue. Large white head, which fell quickly. Lacing is suprisingly sticky and really clings. The carbonation streams are impressive as well. Smell is of light adjuncts, and feint hops. Taste upfront has a quick grainy malt bite, strong of adjuncts. Then a semi-roasted dry bitterness washes over the palate. Not bad. Mouthfeel is light and semi-dry. Drinkability is average.

Heineken is actually a decent Euro Pale Lager, and one that goes down quite easily.

HoustonTX, Aug 21, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

A-Straw yellow color with a head that drops to a thin layer.

S- Grainy malt nose with a hint of skunk from the trip over.

T&M- Crisp with a sweat, husky malt flavor. Hop bitterness kicks in quickly and leaves a clean palate. Medium bodied and dry.

D- A good choice when the only brews at the ballgame are of the Lite variety. A good premium lager but average when compared with the crafts brewed locally and the expanding selection coming over from Europe. Can be expensive if the beer store carries this as their only premium offering.

teg8612, Aug 14, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into my pint glass a straw yellow color with little to no head. Very macro in appearance. Taste was ok at best. The beer had a very average taste that left a skunky finish. Overall not impressed with this one. I would much rather save the money for a higher quality brew.

robocrouch, Aug 09, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

This is one of a very few beers that I actually prefer getting in cans instead of bottles. Bottles of this can tend to be skunked since they are a light to medium green color, allowing light to penetrate into the beer, hence the skunkness. This beer is a decent Euro lager that reminds heavily of many American macro lagers, only somewhat better than probabley 90% of American macrolagers. That being said, this beer is not a great beer by any means either. Pours a light, clear golden color. At first a very tall white and foamy head appeared before totally dissappearing almost instantly, leaving somewhat decent lacing behind. Mild smells of some hops, malt and maybe some vegetables and/or grains are present. has a slightly sweet and very slightly malty taste with a a touch of hop bitterness as well. Fairly well balanced actually. Not any one aspect of the taste is overpowering compared to the others. All are equally subtle. A bit of a dry taste as well. It has a nice crisp and clean mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer. Not bad, not great. A solid, fairly cheap import lager that beats most American macro lagers for sure.

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 14, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Heineken is one of the lager beers I respect. It’s very drinkable, and very balanced, even if two out of every sixer is probably skunked. Honestly, it is a very good session beer because it won't offend you or get you ripped like an Aussie. Some say its better from the can, but I say it’s better from the bottle, and drunk from the bottle. In a glass it just seems way too bland! In a bottle it kinda concentrates the hop presence and carbonation with you throughout the drink. Anyways, the color is typical euro lager, of course, you knew that already. Produces a tall head at first, and leaves some lace here and there depending on how fast you drink it. The smell is fairly bland; of course that’s if you don’t get a skunked product. Now the taste is pretty balanced, and that’s what I like about a Heine! A good part malt and a good part hops. Mouthfeel is decent for a lager, doesn't have a stickiness to it like an ale has and the drinkability is its best part I believe. You can session with this the whole day. They say their beers apply to the RHB, and I can’t find any adjunct flavors in it, so I’m assuming/hoping it’s true!

MusicmanSD, Jul 11, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

what can I say? Heineken is an expensive beer for the taste. 14.99 for a 12er? ridiculous!

I had this in a 12 ounce bottle. The smell is not great. If you drink this beer really cold it tastes great and goes down pretty easy. It has a weird after taste, skunky of course. Its an average session beer.

Note: Stella Artois is way better and about the same price.

drinkdankbrews, Jul 10, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -45.4%

12 oz green bottle.

Clear, off-yellow color with a fizzy white head.
Smell: The pure definition of Euroskunk. God awful...
If you can get past the smell (i know, it's tough), the taste is very herbal & grassy, with very lackluster malt flavor and a slightly metallic finish.

If you absolutely MUST try Heineken, get it on-tap or in any vessel other than the green, light-inviting bottle. I've sampled it once from a large (I think it was 1.3 liter) bottle in the past, that came boxed..and it was actually not that bad. What I find funny is that some people in this area actually LIKE the skunk taste (after all, they think that's what it's supposed to taste like)...ridiculous. Overpriced and perpetuates the "Euroskunk" beer stereotype.

hero27, Jul 09, 2006
2.98/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a super clear yellow golden color with only a ¼” of active white foam. The head was gone within 20 or so seconds. There really aren’t any bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: My first impression was of floral and spicy noble hops. The aroma is really mild with only a little bit of sweet and slightly toasty malt there to back up the hops.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma almost exactly. It is clean with a dominant hop presence and a little bit of malt there to back it up. It is pretty dry and well attenuated with only a mild sweet malt there to add more flavor and residual mouthfeel. It does have a bit of a corny presence, and this gets more noticeable as it warms up some. As it warms further, there is a mild green apple flavor coming out.

Opinion: Well, I definitely think that the Heineken is better in a can than in the bottle, and this is simply because it is such a hoppy beer and that they like to use green bottles. This beer is not bad, but it is pretty neutral. It has a dominant hoppy presence, but this doesn’t make up for what I assume is the use of adjuncts. Its not a bad beer overall and it goes great with pizza, but I would much rather have a Helles or true Pilsner.

SkeeterHawk, Jul 09, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Nifty little 330ml can in the shape of a keg poured in a pint glass (thanks for the beer Shawn).

Clear, straw yellow in colour. Bright white head foams up 1/4 inch on the pour before settling to a thin ring around the outside.

Aroma of grassy hops with a little sweetness in the background.

Taste follows the aroma quite closely. Grassy/floral hops off the start. After the carbonation rush the hop flavour fades a little to reveal a light sweetness. Balanced finish of sweetness and grass. Clean aftertaste.

Light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Crisp and clean. Refreshing and easy drinking.

To me this is basically the average Euro Pale Lager. I put this out there as the one to compare others to as to whether they are better or worse than average. There isn't anything exciting about this beer, but there isn't anything offensive either. Much better in a can (or on-tap) than in a bottle. Don't let it get warm, or it's pretty much undrinkable.

Noxious26, Jul 08, 2006
1.55/5  rDev -42.8%

I don't get it. I have never had a Heineken that wasn't a skunky light-struck mess. Why green bottles? I've never had this in Europe because there are too many good beers over there to risk the experiment, but does it taste better over there? I'll need to find a can of it over here.
Anyway. The carbonation is nice and the golden hue is lovely. But the smell and the taste are the real reason I drink a beer and this one fails.
Sorry. I would prefer any American macro brew to this and I will drink alum for the buzz before I'll drink those so this must be a bad beer.

Puddleglum, Jul 05, 2006

Very pale, hay yellow, macro appearance to the tee. Decent lacing, somewhat spotty head of white didn't really make an appearance for more than a flash.

Wheaty, malty aromas, with a buttered toast aspect, a slight lemon custard as well.

Rich toasty flavors, good carbonation, good drinkability. Nice bite of hops with the malt to balance. Not a bad lager but lacks complexity. Many better brews out there that dominate this at the price point.

mcallister, Jul 02, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

pours out of the 12 oz. keg can a very light straw colour; not totally clear and brilliant, but with an active carbonation that produces a thin fine head and slight wisps of lace. aroma is skunkless...a bit malty and a hint of adjunct. there is some floral hoppiness that is nice, also. taste is predominately on the malt side...there is some corny flavours and a pleasant floral hop note as well. it's all pretty tame and lacks the skunky shenanigans of the bottled version. it's a huge difference. a nice euro lager aimed at the masses. drinkability rates higher because the sturdy little keg cans keep the goods cold and fresh. not sure if it's worth the extra $$$ compared to the BMC offerings, but worth a shot every now and again if your aim is to avoid the "skunk" green bottles. and the keg cans are kind of cool, too.

budgood1, Jun 30, 2006
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.