Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

S: Nothing exciting here. Smells grainy, lesser hops.
T: Really not bad. Flavor is pretty decent with clean hops and grains. I could do with less grain and a little more hops.
M: Very good; about medium carbonation is pretty crisp and quite refreshing.
D: Pretty good; I think of this beer as a good beer among bad beers. If that makes sense.

leechungsr, Nov 14, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz green bottle

Heineken Lager Beer was a clear yellow color with a white head. The head was medium in size, but within a couple of minutes it fizzeled to a very thin spotty layer. The aroma was grain and hops. The taste was crisp with hops, light malt, and a dry, somewhat bitter finish. The body was medium-light with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was decent. It's a beer that is easy to find and better than your average macro lager.

afinepilsner, Nov 13, 2006
2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Surprisingly, not skunked. Not surprisingly, nothing special. Very pale pour with a thin, fizzy head. Not much to note in the smell other than some notable hops of decent character. The taste is weak and unremarkable. Overly carbonated with a burning sensation in the mouth. Watery enough to give it some decent drinkability.

Neehan, Nov 13, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

First time in the can. Figured I'd give it a shot because I'd heard that it was much better in this than in the bottle due to the lack of skunkage, and of course, no metal taste if poured into a glass.

...in theory.

In actuality I gotta say this particular one at least was one of the worst Heinekens I've had, and being the beer my father drank and one that I grew up on, I've had quite a few. At its best, Heiny is a nice refreshing beer that goes well with spicy foods... at its worst it's a boring, overly carbonated beer that insights zero passion.

This example had none of the light fresh fruit highlights and sweet malt backbone that I've had before in good examples. It was flat and boring. This one was quite a bit more smooth in mouthfeel compared to the average, something that may have a little to do with the can, not sure why though... possibly a difference in the way the carbonation is either produced or tastes after poured...

There was so much metal in the taste that I almost think they're not using the proper can liner that a company like Oskar Blues out of Colorado is doing with its Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub Scottish which are great beers from a can.

Poured golden of course with a fluffy two finger head into a pint glass... flavor had zero development or complexity and didn't even taste up to the Heineken average.

I may have gotten a dud, but I think this confirms for me a decision I made years ago. Whether Heineken has grown too big, whether they've changed their formula, or whether my tastes are just different, it's a beer that I grew up on that I don't plan on purchasing for quite awhile. Way too expensive for its own good as well.

johnbonham1980, Nov 10, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A:
Pours a pale straw color with almost no head retention at all

S:
aroma of hops but not much going for it

T:
A little sweetness and some salt are the only things that keep the taste buds distracted
from the assault of the big carbonation

M:
smooth.

D:
Not the most drinkable beer but could be worse I guess. On a side not it just gets annoying paying money for a beer that always seems to be on the verge of going bad

mnesporov, Nov 06, 2006

This was out of a party keg and I'm not quite sure what that means for serving type. Anyways, when fresh and not skunked, this isnt too bad a beer. Its inoffensive, light and a bit fruity. Not too much adjunct flavor, but also almost no trace of malt or hops. Easy drinking and I wouldnt refuse a free one, but it'll be a cold day in hell when I pay for one.

tempest, Oct 22, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Heineken is one of those beers that make people scratch their heads and wonder....how the hell do they charge me an extra 2 bucks for this. I know, I know, its an import, but come on, except for going down smoother and less bitter than "the American swill" theres no recognizable difference. The only beer where I can truly say there is no discernable taste, which i suppose is amazing enough in itself. It's only good quality is its drinkability, its a small step up from water, so its no problem. It smells and looks like piss, so i guess that offsets.

jdoherty, Oct 21, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours a little head that stays around for a little while, but eventually dissapears. The color is clearish yellow, very see-through. Smell is euro-lager smell, bitter and lagery. It's sweet and a little mettalic, but the taste doesn't stay around, it goes away. Overall if it was fresh I would think it wouldn't be so bad.

Erdinger2003, Oct 18, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours out pale and lifeless with some head. Smooth and easy to drink I won't argue, but alas this brew is as lifeless a lager as most other major brands available. Does the green bottle skunk flavor actually help Heineken? Perhaps, but it won't help me buy one. But I guess I'd slum for another if it were the only in the fridge as this bottle was.l

scottum, Oct 15, 2006
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer poured a golden/straw clear color with a thick head that lasted for a minute. The smell is hoppy and a bit skunky. The taste is mild and with noticeable hop flavors. The mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. I’d consider this an easy beer to drink.

barefootbrewer, Oct 13, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

NOt as bad as some others can picture it, but if you compare it with other Dutch beers this is absolutely water, Golden without greenish features and good foam, but that is all, no character no nothing. It worths a¡only for a barbeque with friends where One does not want to get drunk.

nekronos, Oct 11, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -32.5%

A - Pours a pale straw color with no real head at all.

S - Very slight aroma...hint of skunky hops.

T - Flavor mirrors a hard drink (maybe a Mike's) with no real hop or malt action. Tastes almost out of date.

M - Medium carbonation with a light body; goes down fairly crisp, but doesn't finish smooth.

D - Can't really think of a suitable reason to indulge in one...

My parents bought a sixpack for an after-party for relatives that attended my wedding...they don't drink, so they weren't really sure what to buy and ended up giving me the remaining 5 bottles. It made for a good sitting-around-so-might-as-well-try-something selection. I'm not trying to knock a macro at all - that's not my style - I just didn't happen to find this very appetizing.

JohnnyM2002, Oct 05, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +36.5%

nice light gold color pours with half inch head which fades fast no lacing at all. smelled a little like cooked cabbage to me. taste is slight hop not over carbonated slightly salty. mouthfeel light but does leave a lingering after taste. very drinkable good for more than two or three definitely a buy again beer.

billybob, Oct 04, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

I bought a sixer of Heine this evening, with the intention of writing a review .I thought it would be fun to review a beer I didn't like, instead of only reviewing beers I did like.

Except I found that 'ol Heine isn't half as bad as I remembered.

The green bottle said one thing to me: skunk! But for some reason, this six pack is skunkless. Completely skunkless, I tell you! Am I just lucky? I guess so, because last time I had Heine I thought I was drinking the output of a skunk's scent glands.

Not this time. The brew poured pale and gold, very much like I expected from a macro lager--European or otherwise. There is no head after the foam from the pour settles down, and no lacing, but the aroma...well, it isn't great, but it is not at all bad. It is very lagery, with a little tiny bit of hop character, some bready lager yeast, and a slight hint of malt.

The flavor is actually *good*. It tastes like a good quality generic lager, with little or no adjunct off-flavors and just a bare hint of hops. Certainly blows the pants off any Anheuser product I've had. I'm a little bit speechless. I actually like this!?

Mouthfeel I'm not a big fan of. In the tradition of macrolagers, it is overcarbonated and watery. Being a man who much prefers a creamy cask conditioned ale, this is not really what I'm looking for, but even so I'd prefer it to a Budweiser.

As far as drinkability, I can't say anything bad. I would actually drink this, it goes down smooth and the moderate ABV makes it a good candidate for a session. Think I'll go crack another, in fact.

ryanismean, Oct 04, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

Ahh...this one takes me back to the days when I was 17 and drinking Heineken meant drinking "the good stuff". I wonder if they still put this in the keg cans. They were awesome.

The appearance is a bit lacking I must say. Being the first time I've actually bothered to pour this into a glass, I must say I'm not impressed. Pale orangeish yellow, no head no lacing.

The aroma is a bit sweeter than your average pilsner but similar. Grain and honey with a bit of grass clippings and something a bit artificial underneath it all.

Flavor and mouthfeel are where Heineken shines. Flavor is sweet and herbal. Dry finish with a nice hop bite. Crispier than fried chicken thats been kept under the heat lamps too long. The mouthfeel is wonderful. Very lively carbonation yet smooth and endlesly drinkable. Even though Frank Booth prefers Pabst Blue Ribbon, this one is a winner in my book.

HossMcGraw, Sep 29, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle into a standard pint glasss. No discernable bottling date to be found, but I bet this macro moves pretty fast.

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow with a several inch white head. The head falls quickly to nothing, no head retention. Perfectly clear with several constant bubble streams.

Smell: The strongest smell is an off odor, the classic "skunked" smell. Past that is some sweetness and malt.

Taste: Carbonation bite with just a little bit of everything. A little sweet, a little malt, and a very little hops. Overall, a very unflavorful beer.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation level, but not a lot of body.

Drinkability: Pretty easy to drink, because there is not much too it. The off-odor just puts me off. I know the green bottle has become a trademark, but I don't understand why a beer company would package its product in a container they know will allow it to be damaged. I'll give this a try sometime in a can or on tap.

beveritt, Sep 28, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pale gold / straw.

Aromas of grass/hay, herbaceous, light toastiness.

Flavours initially of hop, followed by toasty munich malt, some more green hop following. Subtle sweetness in there. Hop lingers for a while, into a mild/medium bitterness

Well balanced mouthfeel.

Not a bad drop. I found it to be more approachable than its compatriot, Grolsch.

vancurly, Sep 19, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

This pint in a bottle was given to me by a friend. He was so drunk the night before that he wasnt gonna drink for at least a week. I said, NO NO NO son. You need quality not quantity. He laughed then said, "Rough week wanker."

It sat in his trunk for a day or so. But I threw it in the fridge to cool. I opened it when it was reasonably cold. I dislike these kinds of lagers TOO cold. Good warmer.

Appearance was nice not great. Smell SKUNK! Its nice though when you crave it. Not a good beer to drive after a few. Noticable? Most definitly. Dont do it. (pun, drinking and driving is dangerous.)

Taste was pretty good, The first beer I can remember drinking. My pops used to give me sips when we were chilling. Good memories.

Mouthfeel is surprizingly better than just the taste. Its very nice. Not really harsh. Yes skunky, but nice.

Finally Drinkability, average. I cant say this is a favorite but its a great beer if your looking for that SKUNK! This kinda fell into my lap so to say, but I enjoyed it. Skunk is what I expected, skunk is what I got.

Clockwork

Lace: minimal

Color:
Reflected- ylo
Transmitted- ylo

Aroma: skunk

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: adjusts little after many

Taste:
Start- bland carbonation
Middle- bland carbonation
Finish- bland carbonation

Comments: Yeah, I remember when I wanted have a GOOD beer I’d buy this one. It just had a little more character than Bud is all...

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- if they're buying
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- maybe

TechMyst, Sep 10, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

For some reason this beer tastes much better from the green bottle than from a beer glass... anyway...

Pours a clear, plain yellow with large sudsy bubbles. The head subsides quickly into small tight patches which look like broken icebergs. The smell is rather skunky but some how balanced by clean hops with a small note of lemon. The beer is note very depthy on taste but sure hits the palate high with a strong clean, slightly bitter hop taste. Good taste though, very drinkable.

dhilltop2000, Sep 10, 2006
1.7/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured from it's 24oz keg can into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale yellow with decent white head that quickly diminishes into a thin lace. Faint lagerish aroma with just a tad bit of grain. Taste is malty with a slight hop finish. I always get an unusual and unpleasant aftertaste from Heineken. Overall, this is a not a very good lager in my opinion especially considering the high price tag.

cjgator3, Sep 08, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -26.9%

With the possible exception of cold fusion, this is the most over-hyped liquid in the world.

Taste - bland
Colour - overprocessed
Smell - I have smelt worse beers.... the ones we found out the back of the old hermits place when we were helping clear it out years ago spring to mind
Mouthfeel - average.

I don't know why I do this to myself....

Yes I do! It is so I can appreciate proper beer.

btmo, Sep 01, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours from the bottle a pale yellow hue not uncommon for most euro lagers. A small, slightly fizzy white head tops off the brew. Aromas bring a sweet grain maltiness that has a subtle fruitiness. Herbal hops are there with the requisite light skunkiness that almost always accompanies Heineken when bought in the green bottle. However, it doesn't detract too much.

First sip brings a crisp, light pale toasted cereal grain maltiness. Light hints of fruit swirl through and it flows down with a grassy, herbal hop flavor. Slight skunkiness in there as well. It finishes crisp with a lingering toasted grain aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth with fast moving carbonation. Goes down easily and ends up being refreshing. Not a beer I would actively seek out, but I don't mind having it now and again at a party or when it's offered to me. One of the better mass produced euro pale lagers.

orbitalr0x, Aug 25, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Since I know most BA memebers are quite familiar with this beer (and most harbor disdain for it) I am not going to do the requisite run down of the characteristics. Instead, I shall point to several of the reasons as to why I like Heineken.

Granted, it's not a great beer and doesn't have a flavor profile that compares with quality Belgian Ales or the like. However, the value of Heinkeken is that it often keeps me from having to drink truly terrible beer (i.e Miller or Anheuser Bush products.). When social obligations send me to a wedding reception or into a dive bar I am grateful when Heineken is an alternative.

Also, I spent a week in Amsterdam a few year ago. The youth hostel in which I stayed had a bar/recreational commons area that carried Heineken on tap. Draft Heineken on tap in Amerstam is a considerably different animal that what we experience in the State--and for the better. It is creamier and has less of that biting sweetness and skunk.

I also toured the brewery. At the end of the tour, which was quite informative in regards to the brewing process, in this big beer hall, they give you 30 minutes to drink as much Heineken as possible. Beer maids in green lederhosen and puffy white dole out twelve ounce glasses (not plastic cups) of stuff. I got to talking to two Kiwis sitting beside me--until the beer began being passed around, then we slammed all we could (a practice not endorsed by BA).

Who could forget the role Heineken plays in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet?" Dennis Hoper asking Kyle Maclachan: "Wha't your favorite Beer?"
"Heineken."
"Heineken? No! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
Or something to that effect, and extremely crazy.

Thus, Heineken is not the greatest tasting beer in the world. However, it is much superior to Macro-crap, and is quite refreshing in warm weather.

Osiris9588, Aug 25, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

This is a 12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler. The lager is cold.

A: A pale yellow color, clear and uninspiring with a small head that disappears quickly.

S: A semi-sweet adjunct smell, primarily corn.

T: A pale, fizzy yellow water color. The beer has a bit of flavor from the malt but not enough to get you fired up.

M: There is no mouthfeel beyond the astringent over-carbonation.

D: The lack of flavor makes it come across like water. But unlike water, this dehydrates you quickly, a real negative.

akorsak, Aug 25, 2006
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.