Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%

I poured it too cold. Pillowy, billowy, soft, thick and creamy foam crowning a pale yellow body with moderate carbonation. It may be reputation speaking, but I may smell adjuncts. The nose has faint faint hops, but mostly just a crisp malt character.

Empty, grainy body that dissipates into an aftertaste that resembles artificial strawberry sweetener, it's revolting. Towards the front there is a weak, one-dimensional taste with zero bitterness or hops. I wish the aftertaste wasn't so blech, because otherwise it's very drinkable--more so than even a U.S. macro. But the flat sweetness ruins it.

The carbonation is too weak for my taste, but I have to say--there isn't any alcohol taste, so that's good. I am totally unimpressed with this one, but I don't hate it.

cooter, Jun 09, 2005
1.23/5  rDev -54.6%

Had one after many years without. It's the same watery pale macro swill that it was when I didn't have any gray hair.

Pale yellow with a short lived coarse head that knew better than to stick around.

Smelled skunky right off the bat...Sorta like the beer cap laying in the sun on a handball court during summertime.

Bitter but bland personality that left a bad taste in my mouth and gave me a headache. Start to finish the taste experience was the same...BLAHHH!! Thin mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

Now I realize why I haven't had one of these for years. If I must have a Heiny, make it a dark.

BrewMaven, May 30, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer has never impressed me.
Sure, I think of this beer as "better" than American macros but usually given the price difference involved and the kind of occaisions when asked to choose between a "heiny" and miller or coors (or pabst), I end up choosing the latter.
This beer has a bite to it but I tend to liken that bite to that of a carnivorous bug.
I find it amusing when Americans drink this stuff because they feel it above or better than American beers... that this is what real, "German" beers are supposed to be like.
It isn't even German!
I've had European friends tell me this is usually the cheapest beer you can find in pubs... probably not a horrible choice when fresh.
Good advertising for a foreign beer, but really just another mass produced money maker.

ommegangpbr, May 29, 2005
1.6/5  rDev -41%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is one of those beers that you have to double check to make sure the mug isn't dirty or you aren't drinking it out of some old gym shoes. Then you realize you are drinking it straight from the bottle. The smell is bad, the taste is bad and the feel is weak. Heck i'm surprised people still buy this stuff, let alone that it was once such a popular beer..

beeroclock, May 28, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +40.2%

I don't understand why most BAs hate Heineken. Maybe because they're too big worldwide. Of all the mass produced lagers in the world, I think this is a pretty good one for the style. Sometimes, it can be skunky but the keg cans help to minimize the likelihood that the green bottle does not.

Light gold straw, nice wispy white foam on top.Good carbonation. Some lace. Standard euro-lager smell but no skunkiness whatsoever. Malt is there predominantly with some buttery aspects.

Taste is a standard lager taste. To me-this is a good example of a plain gold colored easy drinkin' beer. Corn and malt with some lemonny essences. Pretty good but not too great on drinkability--you can grow tired of these rather easily.

rousee, May 12, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

330 ml green glass bottle. Pours into the glass with a golden yellow color, large foamy head that sticks around the edge of the glass for a little while. Very active carbonation that causes constant bubbles. Personally, I can't get passed the "euro skunk" smell. Once you get that smell stuck in your nose, the taste is that same skunky bitterness. Slightly watery mouthfeel, with lots of carbonation giving it an acrid bite. Overall pretty average. The green bottles just don't do anything for me.

BigBry, May 02, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 24oz "keg can" into a mug.

Pale gold with a frothy white head that dies a quick death leaving nothing, not even a ring. Light carbonation.

Smells of grains with a slight whiff of hops. Not much going on here.

Tastes weak as well. Grains with a slight malt note upfront, a bit of hop, yet it finishes rather clean. While it looks and smells macro, it doesn't have an awkward finish.

The mouthfeel is light but clean and adds to the drinkability, which is where this brew scores highest.

ypsifly, Apr 30, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

From the little baby keg-can.
There's 1cm of fluffy white head. It's flat but bumpy. The beer underneath is extremely clear and bright gold. There are strings of carbonation. Aroma is sugar and nuts. Not bad. The front is fruity sweet. The middle is a fairly nice, fruity, milkiness. Apples. In the end it's quite bitter, nutty, fruity. A little chemically with some alcohol. You know, this isn't a bad Euro lager. There's a fair amount of taste. Very fruity with a fresh finish: nice hop crispness.

kbub6f, Apr 20, 2005
3.03/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance - Nice golden color. Soapy, long-lasting head. Leaves lots of lacing.

Smell - Sweet and malty. Stronger than American macros, but still rather faint and watery.

Taste - Very smooth. Very light flavored too. Actually I was kind of surprised how little flavor this had. What's there isn't bad, little sweet malt, very little bitterness. Crisp finish.

Mouthfeel - Excessively watery, not enough body even for a light lager.

Drinkability - Not suprisingly this goes down like water. The taste isn't bad either. Just not something to get real excited about.

Fancy can, Euro name, kind of a boring beer. Taste is probably superior to most macros, but not by much. More watery than I like from a "premium" lager.

scaliasux, Apr 14, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +56.8%

I couldn't help but notice that the majority of the people reviewing this beer are from the States... I had this at The Heineken Experience in Amsterdam (they converted the old brewery to an amusement park for adults) and the taste was RADICALLY different. They explained that in the States they have the light-green bottles which let the light in and keeps it fermenting process going long after it is bottled. If you have it in Europe the bottles (in some countries) are darker and prohibit this. Therefore, I will rate the European one because I think it is much better than the 71 or "Not Recommended" that it has been given.

Pours a translucent gold color with a little head (when poured correctly). Smell is very pungent right off the bat with wheat and hops, pretty inviting. The taste is similar to the smell, with strong hops and wheat with a slightly malty finish. There is a certain graininess to it that comes from the abundance of wheat. A great beer if you are looking to have a few, or are just kicking back and relaxing.

Toddv29424, Apr 10, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

A clear pale yellow color with a white lace for a head. Smells like grains and cooked veggies. Light carbonated mouthfeel. Grainy taste. Some grassy flavors and faint hops. Very clean finish with a good drinkability. All around an average Euro lager but not worth the price though.

Luigi, Apr 10, 2005
2.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Boy, one of the *premium* beers on American Airlines. Decent golden yellow filtered pour with a white head that actual left some glass lacing. A small malt aroma can be detected behind a little of the ol’ European sulfur skunk. Taste was a little weak and thin, but some decent malt and grain flavors made their way through. OK, give me a couple more.

Vancer, Mar 28, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured a clear golden yellow body with a small bubbly head.

The nose was a soft a lovely mix of soft malt, vegetables and garbage.

Really a strong, skunk hop taste. Actually rather bitter. A present hop, earth, skunk vegetable taste. It’s actually not too bad for Euro lager. It starts soft and then kicks in with a hop bitterness. There’s definitely malt present, maybe Munich or Vienna, but the hop tastes overpowers.

What a horrid description of this beer. It’s actually quite nice though for a Euro lager. Nothing great, just decent. The hops and malt are bigger than your average American lager that makes you realize why so many people consider this “quality” but basically it’s just

taez555, Mar 26, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: Poured a clear bright gold into a 16oz tumbler. There was a decent-sized head, but it dissipated quickly and in spots. It was not a "heavy" head at all - it was more like little oxygen bubbles rather than volatiles. The scent showed very heavy adjunct character, like rice and corn. It was somewhat sharp. It wasn't the most pleasant of aromas.

Tasting: Despite my concerns about a possible skunking due to the green bottle on the floor display, this actually didn't taste bad at all. Hints of corn and grain are present on the tongue. There was little aftertaste to this beer. This doesn't taste bitter on the tongue at all; instead, it's rather smooth. This is a very easy beer to drink. It goes down pretty fast.

Overall, this is pretty good as macro beers go. I give it a thumbs-up.

bceaglejoe, Mar 18, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

The beer poured a pale yellow with a bit of white head. It's aroma was lightly of malt and hops. The taste was pretty indistinguished. It had a bit of malt and hops in it and not much else. It was pretty subdued. It was light bodied. I wouldn't purchase one, but wouldn't try to avoid one either.

claytri, Mar 07, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -14%

12 FL. OZ. keg can

Appearance – poured to a nice pilsner glass; body is light gold; carbonation disappears quickly; white head is reasonable early but it dies late; lace is so so

Smell – metallic; grainy; some hops; a trace of the skunk

Taste – much stronger hoppiness than in smell but there is a light note of malts; a bit metallic and sulphurous

Mouthfeel – somehat thin moves to thin to a bit watery; finishes crisp and dry

Drinkability – if mass consumption is in order, there could be worse choices; this should be a college party staple

The keg can is one heck of a novelty item and the beer isn’t all that bad compared to its neighbors in Macroville. Looking in-house, I have tasted worse cans of Heineken, but this was better than most.

Wonka, Mar 05, 2005
1.38/5  rDev -49.1%

Oh how in the world can people drink this stuff? Maybe because it is the "cool" beer to drink along with Corona. I for one like a Corona on a hot day but a Heini...no way.

I first met Heineken when I was a freshman in college. We were playing caps and I was quite drunk. Low and behold there was a keg can in the bucket of ice and I lunged at it because it was the "cool" beer to drink. I drank it and wow...it was pure skunk in a can. I acted like I loved it though because everyone else there was jealous that I got to it first. I was not impressed.

After that, I had the beer a few more times here and there with the same taste. I had given up hope completely. The last time I had one was on my airplane trip to Ireland. The waitress ran out of Guiness so I was stuck with ... you guessed it ... skunk pee. I was forced to mix it 50/50 with my OJ because I just couldn't drink it. Actually this combo tasted somewhat better but far from good. If you are stuck with a can I would suggest this.

I always thought after I had more and more beers that I would come back and somehow like Heineken because everyone else seems to...but no luck. This has to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. I would much rather drink a skunked can of Keystone Light.

I would highly suggest drinking Rolling Rock over this beer.

dren, Mar 02, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at a local wing joint. Even from the keg, this has the typical green beer taste. Smells and tastes slightly skunky, but from memory it is less so from the keg than the can. Still, it is a very drinkable beer - refreshing and pairs well with the spicy wings. Better than many of the BMC offerings that were available.

rowew, Mar 02, 2005

Heineken was one of the first beers I ever had, and I hated it. The stuff came pretty close to scaring me away from beer, but luckily I discovered better, tastier beers. It's been awhile since that first taste, so I decided to see what I think of Heinken now that I've tried a wider variety of beer. Was it better the second time?

Appearance: Golden yellow with a fizzy head that fades very quickly. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

Smell: Macroskunk. The smell is nearly indistinguishable from Bud, MGD, or any other American macro.

Taste: I bought a "keg can" to make sure that the taste wasn't affected by light, and it didn't help it one bit. The taste is an obnoxious mix of the usual sweet & grainy macro elements with that sour Heine taste that everyone refers to as "Euroskunk." It's not quite as disastrous as I remember, but it's far from appealing.

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated.

Verdict: I guess it's not that bad as long as it's ice cold, but God help you if it starts to warm up.

bearrunner44, Mar 01, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Heineken, is what it is. A slightly above average beer. To say that it is great, is too strong an endorsment. To say that it is average is to not give credit where credit is due.

Apearance: Straw yellow colour, with light foam.

Smell: Smell is not its strong point. Does seem to have a yeasty odour.

Taste: MUST be cold. When cold, you get a crisp, lemon taste with a spritz finish. When warm, you start tasting a bitter hoppy taste (in a bad way) and what can only be described as an irony taste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly overcarbonated. But not too much that it is a hinderance.

Drinkability: Definately the drink of choice in a club. Drink Heineken over corona anyday.

BeerNutta, Feb 18, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

From tap, this poures a light golden yellow. Lots of fizzy carbonation, which forms a reasonable head for about two seconds before bubbling down do a light film.

The nose is very standard. Not much of the skunk that you get from having it in a bottle, but just bland. A little bitterness, maybe, some yeast. Just really the standard lagery smell. Very bland.

The taste on tap is quite similar to in bottled form. Standard lager bitterness, with a dry aftertaste. Although there is this unpleasant off yeastiness there that really seems to lacquer itself to the back of your throat. I think the taste is slightly better out of a bottle.

Yeah, not a top notch drop this one... Very standard, and reasonably unlikeable. There are far better lagers out there...

lacqueredmouse, Feb 13, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +32.1%

Blind tasting has shattered my ego yet again, though I've rationalized it now -- and have moved on accordingly.

So here's the deal: Heineken's not bad at all. (Caveat comes later.)

Tasted blind next to a respectable pilsner, Birra del Vechio, and prior to some other beers in a series of flights, it initially smells of lemon grass and sheet metal and gives a lively, airy, zesty feel to one's nose. Zippy effervescence brings out some similar lemon notes as well as dry pale malts.

Here's the caveat: This was tasted freshly poured from a cold bottle. Over time and as it warms, there's no question that this beer deteriorates a bit. After 30 minutes of sitting out, it degrades to a bottom of the pile lager. But let's give credit where credit's due: They made me eat my words. Henie's fine by me...when it's nice and cold.

marburg, Jan 20, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What's wrong with Euro lagers? Heineken is my reference in that style and I will risk myself to have one in an once, but damn this beer is too foamy and smells skunky. At least, their TV advertissement campaign is much better than the beer itself.

12 oz green bottle.

Appereance: Excessively foamy and very clear pale straw color

Smell: Skunky, rice and maybe some malt.

Taste: Strong taste, but not exactly the best one. Very chemical taste.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy. It feels its foam development in my mouth

Drinkability: I can't stand more than one bottle per event. Two is risky and three or more is pure danger. Too foamy, too much skunky and its chemical taste turns my stomach upside down very quickly. US Budweiser is much better than Heineken for a macro!!

Barraclou, Jan 18, 2005
1.68/5  rDev -38%

12 oz green bottle.

Foamy white head with average retention. No lacing present. Very pale straw in color thin, watery, and very clear.

Wheat, rice, and grain aromatics with a pretty hefty whiff of skunkiness.

Wheat and grain flavors drive this lager which is also accompanied by a metallic skunkiness. A huge corn filled aftertaste. Just an unpleasant tasting macro-brew.

Light bodied; fizzy yet not as thin on the palate as I would've guessed for the style.

The skunkiness really makes this lager tough to drink a lot of IMO. Another case of the power of marketing.

NEhophead, Jan 16, 2005
2.98/5  rDev +10%

Served in a can on an American Airlines flight. Notes to serve @ 40 – 45 F.
Aroma: Grainy with a light noble hop aroma.
Appearance: Fast fading white head left a small collar. Painfully clear sunny yellow glass, er, cup.
Flavor: Had a significant metallic taste. Grain taste is most prevalent. Hops have a nice bitter end with a touch of sweet malt. What was amazing was what I didn’t taste: SKUNK! That classic Heiney taste I learned, it wasn’t there! Green bottles indeed.
Mouthfeel: Clean, light, and almost watery.
Overall Impression: Better than most Heinekens I’ve had before, but nothing to make me want another.

HardTarget, Jan 08, 2005
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.