Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,293 | Hads: 4,387
3.32/5  rDev +19.4%

Your average Euro Pale Lager; nothing special here. Some sentimental value for me, since this was the first beer I ever finished alone, but that's pretty much it, folks. A tell-tale tinge of lemon in the first sip, but that's probably just me and my oversensitive palate. (271 characters)

Enjoyable. Pale golden in color and yet entirely drinkable. Honestly, it is nothing special. I always consider this beer an American Pale Lager with an attitude. (164 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not much to say here, folks. Just your plain, every day, run-of-the-mill Euro pale lager. Not a bad beer, and probably gets more hate than it deserves for being a macro and such.

Purchased at the LCBO for $2.70 in a 500 ml can. Much better options out there for a cheaper price, and that's really my biggest concern. (317 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Go-to Pilsener for me. Probably not a huge surprise as this is by far the most sold and served beer in Holland. Heineken is quite good, but not special in any sense of the word. Of course, as a macro produced pilsener this is not the best beer in the world, but in my opinion, it doesn't deserve the hate it often gets. (319 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not a good beer.

Reviewing in the context of adjunct lagers. Coming from the UK myself, and recently moved to the USA, Heineken is a blast from my past -- a beer readily available and largely consumed in the UK.

My favorite adjunct lager in the USA is Pabst.
Heineken falls short. There's no body, yet at the end there's a funky hops bite. Not a good bite, mind you. It's weird. The combination of no body and funky hop thing doesn't go down well.

If there was some body, maybe that hop flavor at the end would sit on my tastebuds better. And it is definitely "hoppier" than most adjunct lagers. But no -- not good.

Where's my PBR? (636 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had a bottle of this at a diner on my way back from Lancaster, PA this evening. The place didn't have anything on tap, and all their domestics were lousy AALs. What hit me right away when I grabbed the bottle was the very strong skunky odor. The appearance of the brew matches other Euro pales I've had. The taste is mild, with a nasty edge of skunk on the back end. Moderate carbonation is prominent on the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a passable beer, but not much more than that. If I am going to drink a Euro lager, I'll go with Peroni or Stella. (558 characters)

Review: Can of Heineken pale lager, 5%ABV

Heineken, a good solid beer, crisp and refreshing. The easy drinking lager is ideal drinking fare for sporting events or parties.

An appearance that has a very clear pale golden colour. On pouring, you get a nice average sized head that leaves a good looking lager. Has steady lacing

Smell is a distinct yeast aroma with grassy hops. A pleasant lager smell.

The taste is a quite distinctive yeast flavor with a tiny hint of hops, crisp and smooth it goes down easy. The aftertaste is clean and refreshing. (555 characters)

For a pale lager, Beats Budweiser or any BMC macro. Really beyond that, not better than my Craft beers, But For Mass produced beer, This is a good offering. can skunk though. Be a good idea to get this one fresh if you can. Kegs would be best option. (251 characters)

Well, I just moved to Amsterdam, and I can see the top of the Heineken brewery from my bedroom window at night, so I thought it was a good time to give this one a thorough review. Poured into a Duvel tulip. The liquid is clear and a very light yellow/straw color. The pour kicks up a modest off-white head that fades pretty quickly to a film only in the middle. Lots of carbonation is visible in the liquid.

Aroma is lots of sweet malts and grains, with a bubblegum flavor that is all I can smell now that I've identified it.

Flavor is sweet malts - bubblegum flavor is much less noticeable on the palate. Finish is very clean with no bitterness, and a sweet grainy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very light-bodied with heavy and prickly carbonation.

Overall, it's completely drinkable, but there's just not much flavor to it. I don't think it's as bad as many people seem to think, because there are no out and out BAD flavors to it, but there's not really much of a good flavor to it either. (997 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Review 900.

Appearance: Pours with a crackly fizzy bright-white cap. Beer is the a perfectly clear gold. Head retention is negligible leaving speckles of foam on the top with a tiny bubbly collar. Lively carbonation on the pour and for the duration.

Smell: Corn. Husky and sweet. Some wet grass as well. Soft cereal grains with some dried hay. Green beans. Vegetal. Solid pale malt base. Some slight biscuity elements coupled with a mild earthiness. Faint touch of skunk, but that's all part of it. Hops are mellow, offering vague notions of earth with a very soft hop spiciness. Sweetness driven by the base. Corn pops. Incredibly clean.

Taste: Dried corn. Hints of hay and fresh cut grass. A hint of skunk pushes up the back. Cereal grains. Sweet and slightly bready...like honeyed dough. Very faint hop notes. Some earthy and mildly floral elements. Vegetables. I keep thinking green beans. Corn sweetness. Husky. Warming pushes the sweetness up and it crosses in to creamed corn territory. Earthiness settles on the back of the sip. Finishes super clean and quick.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a moderate carbonation. Slight creaminess on the initial sip. Easy drinking and then some.

Overall: You could do a lot worse.

This is not a good beer, but it's a drinkable beer. It hits the mark for what it tries to be. Props for sticking to your guns. (1,359 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -24.8%

Skunky, pale, fizzy, thin... Did I mention skunky?

It never ceases to amaze me that the “normal” flavor profile of this beer is skunk-like. I'm not sure if it is the ingredients, the brewing process, the storage process or the green glass bottles but I have experienced the same thing each time I have sampled it over the years. (334 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

Although not bad, it is a forgettable beer. To me, this is a budget lager. I normally would only buy this if I was low on money. Nevertheless, it isn't a bad choice. (165 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L4192724T14. AROMA: medium-low grainy aroma with some sweetness. faint herbal hop aromas. APPEARANCE: gold color with a thin white moussy head with below average retention. TASTE: watery grainy flavour with residual sweetness. low bitterness with an almost dry finish. PALATE: light body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: yet another bulk pale lager a bit watery... (438 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

Had a couple of these tonight so wanted to review it. I use to love this stuff in college, but today I can't really understand why. I know now why I haven't had one in years.

Appearance is off-gold in color. Good head that retained for a bit with visible carbonation.

The smell isn't very remarkable. Slight stinky veggie smell with maybe a hint of spice.

This beer doesn't taste very good, it's dry/bitter with that signature skunky Heineken aftertaste. It will do the job, but if you have other options you probably will go elsewhere.

Overall I give it a 1.5. Not something I'll be buying again. You can get something better for the same price in the US. (664 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like Europe lager and pilsners but this is just ok. Smell a little skunky even from a 24 oz can. Light yellow color. Little head but decent lacing. Taste is bitter medium feel. It is ok (187 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +52.9%

When I was like 14 I used to go down to the shore every summer and pound these "green grenades" on the pier away from the lights with my cousin Ronny. Now I don't know a ton about beer, but any beer thats light and airy enough for a 14 year old to kill 9 of in a single sitting is doing something right. Shortly after I moved on to harder stuff for a while but rediscovered the joy and memories of that slender green bottle when I got a couple years older and started hitting the clubs. Word to the wise - no girl doesn't like a good Heineken so that puts it pretty high on my list. (583 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

A classic beer that is a no brainer to enjoy. Pours a light yellow, with a good head, this is a flavorful Lager that is one of my favorite beers. I find Heineken to be a pleasant tasting brew, one that ranks among the best imported beers I've had. I've had better beers, but Heineken is a classic and refreshing beer. I grew up drinking this beer, so it's only natural that I love it the way I do. (397 characters)

Poured into a branded glass in Paddy O’ Ryans (Leeuwarden, Netherlands)

Before I start this review two notes I feel I need to make 1) This is a Euro pale lager and my review is based on that premise taking into account what the style should be and what the beer is trying to do.
2) This beer is one of the most popular in its home land and very popular further afield as many of us know popularity is often a note of branding rather than taste and most drinkers tend to go for something light and easy to consume.
An understanding of these two points is central to my review…

A – Light amber in colour with a healthy Dutch style two finger head that seems to dissipate quickly to a minimal lace on top leaving very light lace on the glass. Decent carbonation activity in the glass so for the type this beer looks very good.

S – Mild malt with some banana and clove which I must confess to being surprised by. Some herbal and leafy notes. Low hop smell. Not a common aroma for the style.

T – The taste is rather like the smell. There is some mild malt sweetness with banana and clove like notes in the middle but this is then nudged out of the way by more hop flavours that were absent in the smell. Sipped this beer is alright but when you swig it the taste is much improved and the malts and hop balance one another and taste so much better. There is a dry finish.

MF – Pretty full in the mouth with decent carbon tingle and a drying finish.

O – An odd Euro lager. It is not straight down the line for the style as there is more sweetness in this than I would be used to or even expect. That aside this beer is more than drinkable and certainly deserves a higher rating than it is presently enjoying. Is this super exciting? NO. Is it worth the heavy imported price in the USA? NO. Are there better dutch lagers out there? YES.... But is it drinkable and even enjoyable in the right circumstance and setting? YES most definitely! (1,951 characters)

An excellent hoppy beer if you want a bite. I don't understand the low ratings on this. Yea, it's not
the greatest in the world but it's way ahead of a bud! (156 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +70.9%

A pure malt beer honest, without chemical additives; do not know much about beer, I'm starting to take now, but for me it is one of the best cost-benefit in Brazil, at least inside where craft are hard to reach. Enough corn beer! (229 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -20.5%

I tested this beer a second time for a second review, because every one were telling me to give it a second try.
I did and I still give the same 2,25/5. I was still disappointed.

First reason : The smell : I got to say, it has a unique smell. But the smell, remind me of the traffic inside a city.
It has a nice light color, u can see trough the class.
The carbonation is really light, you don't see that much bubble inside the glass.

The second reason. The taste, like you taste nothing. As an economic beer that would be on the top but as a premium beer, you can get much better. (Leffe, 1664 blanc, Hoegaarden)

So would I recommend it ? From my point of view... NO. I mean it depends on your taste, it's not bad, but you can get much much better for the same price. (772 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a16 oz. Heineken tumbler from a Heineken mini keg.

Look: Clear golden body, white head that recedes to a thick film that stays. Light world map lacing.

Aroma: Cereal grains, sweet malts, a mellow banana peel note, and faint hops.

Taste: Smooth malts and cereal grains, slight hints of straw or grass. Faint hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy.

Overall: Pretty average and forgettable, but no skunk from the aluminum mini keg. (452 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +32%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't like when people give Heineken a bad rap and continue to promote other lagers full of garbage preservatives and additives but everyone is entitled to their opinion that's what reviews are for. Not the best GMO free beer but its good and has good availability. I would choose Amstel over it but I enjoy it. I like its fizz. Smell isn't great but it really doesn't taste like it smells. Good for any occasion really. But once the temp raises its awful. (458 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +44.2%

From what I see people here give really negative reviews for this beer. I don't know, maybe worse batch? In my humble opinion - this is basically the best "quick" lager beer you can get on the market. Wanna have a quick light beer? This is the perfect choice. I'll choose it over any other lager for a casual talk with friends. The taste is really good (cooled down), it doesn't smell terribly BAD and has an okay color. (420 characters)

In my opinion this is the worst beer on the market today. Or I should say the American Heineken is the worst. Apparently if you get it in Europe it is way better but I have yet to see. It was near clear with a little fiz. The smell was skunky as was the taste with a bad lingering aftertaste. It's one of the most popular beers in America and I just don't understand why. (371 characters)

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.