Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,303 | Hads: 4,436
3.4/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the better big name lagers you can get. For those who have never tried, a word of advice. On tap, it's best. in a keg/mini keg, it's also great. In a can, it's often gone sour, and in bottles, you can have a hit or miss experience. I've rated it based on tap and keg performance.

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

Enjoyable and refreshing beer for everyman and the first step into the Euro import market. Much better than any American Adjuncts but pales in comparison to its pilsner competitors.

2.87/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2/3 - Work Event. Drank a lot while I was younger. Decent beer, though it seems skunky these days versus a more pleasant tasting solid beer in the bast.

1.93/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A throwback from the past, this one usually has a skunky smell that greets you once you pop the cap....built for college kids...this is just a watery mess that somehow has a massive advertising budget to keep it afloat

2.52/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. but nothing special but drinkable if nothing better is available. Moderately grainy with some malts and light lemony hops.

Used to drink this somewhat regularly before the craft revolution.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brilliant straw color with a foamy strong head and lots of activity.

Strong extra skunky aroma with citrus.

Very faint but bitter taste of grains, corn, and floral citrus hops.

Light body with ok carbonation. Faint bitter mouthfeel with a skunky finish.

I personally like the skunky smell in a beer, but this is too intense. Other than that overall this is a drinkable but very bland beer.

3.55/5  rDev +29.1%

Poured into a 500ml Paulaner glass from a pint can. No green glass issue with the can. 1 finger head. Yellow appearance and smell is what you would expect a little malt but not much more. Taste is refreshing and goes down easily. When I need a break from the IPA and imperial stouts this is still a solid choice and at $5 for a 4 pack of pints it is half the price of my SunKing addiction.

3.61/5  rDev +31.3%

This beer has a tremendous sentimental value to me. Growing up in former Soviet Union this was the first foreign beer I tasted. Still a solid brew to me after all these years of having the amazing American brews, the best in the World.

2.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Heineken is something I return to every now and then to remind myself about the journey that I've taken as a beer drinker. This was the first brew that I ever sampled on draught. In Holland in fact. I was all of 15 years old, and no one batted an eyelash when I ordered up my first glass. Ahh Europe... Well, decades later I picked up a 6-pack at a local gas station and was a bit disappointed that they have departed from their signature stubby bottles in favor of a more generic looking longneck. I had no plans to actually review this beer so I never even poured it in to a glass. Even so, the bottle still emanated that familiar sulfurous skunk aroma. I've come to actually enjoy that lightstruck lager scent. There isn't much else to the nose. Maybe a little corn sweetness. In the flavor department I was a little disappointed. It's been awhile since I've had a Heineken, but I seem to recall that it had more pop to it with that Euro pale lager funk. This rendition was very light on flavor. Smooth, crisp, slightly drying with just a hint of dankness. It was so much cleaner and less controversial than I recalled. Watery, with fizzy carbonation and popcorn-like hints of adjuncts in the finish. I was able to crush that 6-pack without any problem. In fact, when I was done, I wondered what happened. If not for the buzz, I couldn't be sure that I even had any beer at all. Still, there's nothing to complain about here. I only wish there was a little more of that aroma and flavor that has come to define Heineken in the US. This was so mild that it really gets lost in the lager mix.

3.67/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Actually it tastes in Holland as draft drastically different from US bottles. My Gringo friend when he tried it in Amsterdam brewery said: Wow, if this beer would taste in US like that he would be drinking just Heineken all day long. May be pasteurization kills the bottle taste. In Holland they use premium A1 yeast strain and that what makes this beer very interesting. Plus a tradition...

3.32/5  rDev +20.7%

Your average Euro Pale Lager; nothing special here. Some sentimental value for me, since this was the first beer I ever finished alone, but that's pretty much it, folks. A tell-tale tinge of lemon in the first sip, but that's probably just me and my oversensitive palate.

Enjoyable. Pale golden in color and yet entirely drinkable. Honestly, it is nothing special. I always consider this beer an American Pale Lager with an attitude.

2.97/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Go-to Pilsener for me. Probably not a huge surprise as this is by far the most sold and served beer in Holland. Heineken is quite good, but not special in any sense of the word. Of course, as a macro produced pilsener this is not the best beer in the world, but in my opinion, it doesn't deserve the hate it often gets.

2.56/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not a good beer.

Reviewing in the context of adjunct lagers. Coming from the UK myself, and recently moved to the USA, Heineken is a blast from my past -- a beer readily available and largely consumed in the UK.

My favorite adjunct lager in the USA is Pabst.
Heineken falls short. There's no body, yet at the end there's a funky hops bite. Not a good bite, mind you. It's weird. The combination of no body and funky hop thing doesn't go down well.

If there was some body, maybe that hop flavor at the end would sit on my tastebuds better. And it is definitely "hoppier" than most adjunct lagers. But no -- not good.

Where's my PBR?

2.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had a bottle of this at a diner on my way back from Lancaster, PA this evening. The place didn't have anything on tap, and all their domestics were lousy AALs. What hit me right away when I grabbed the bottle was the very strong skunky odor. The appearance of the brew matches other Euro pales I've had. The taste is mild, with a nasty edge of skunk on the back end. Moderate carbonation is prominent on the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a passable beer, but not much more than that. If I am going to drink a Euro lager, I'll go with Peroni or Stella.

3.75/5  rDev +36.4%

Review: Can of Heineken pale lager, 5%ABV

Heineken, a good solid beer, crisp and refreshing. The easy drinking lager is ideal drinking fare for sporting events or parties.

An appearance that has a very clear pale golden colour. On pouring, you get a nice average sized head that leaves a good looking lager. Has steady lacing

Smell is a distinct yeast aroma with grassy hops. A pleasant lager smell.

The taste is a quite distinctive yeast flavor with a tiny hint of hops, crisp and smooth it goes down easy. The aftertaste is clean and refreshing.

For a pale lager, Beats Budweiser or any BMC macro. Really beyond that, not better than my Craft beers, But For Mass produced beer, This is a good offering. can skunk though. Be a good idea to get this one fresh if you can. Kegs would be best option.

Well, I just moved to Amsterdam, and I can see the top of the Heineken brewery from my bedroom window at night, so I thought it was a good time to give this one a thorough review. Poured into a Duvel tulip. The liquid is clear and a very light yellow/straw color. The pour kicks up a modest off-white head that fades pretty quickly to a film only in the middle. Lots of carbonation is visible in the liquid.

Aroma is lots of sweet malts and grains, with a bubblegum flavor that is all I can smell now that I've identified it.

Flavor is sweet malts - bubblegum flavor is much less noticeable on the palate. Finish is very clean with no bitterness, and a sweet grainy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very light-bodied with heavy and prickly carbonation.

Overall, it's completely drinkable, but there's just not much flavor to it. I don't think it's as bad as many people seem to think, because there are no out and out BAD flavors to it, but there's not really much of a good flavor to it either.

3.01/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Review 900.

Appearance: Pours with a crackly fizzy bright-white cap. Beer is the a perfectly clear gold. Head retention is negligible leaving speckles of foam on the top with a tiny bubbly collar. Lively carbonation on the pour and for the duration.

Smell: Corn. Husky and sweet. Some wet grass as well. Soft cereal grains with some dried hay. Green beans. Vegetal. Solid pale malt base. Some slight biscuity elements coupled with a mild earthiness. Faint touch of skunk, but that's all part of it. Hops are mellow, offering vague notions of earth with a very soft hop spiciness. Sweetness driven by the base. Corn pops. Incredibly clean.

Taste: Dried corn. Hints of hay and fresh cut grass. A hint of skunk pushes up the back. Cereal grains. Sweet and slightly bready...like honeyed dough. Very faint hop notes. Some earthy and mildly floral elements. Vegetables. I keep thinking green beans. Corn sweetness. Husky. Warming pushes the sweetness up and it crosses in to creamed corn territory. Earthiness settles on the back of the sip. Finishes super clean and quick.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a moderate carbonation. Slight creaminess on the initial sip. Easy drinking and then some.

Overall: You could do a lot worse.

This is not a good beer, but it's a drinkable beer. It hits the mark for what it tries to be. Props for sticking to your guns.

2.09/5  rDev -24%

Skunky, pale, fizzy, thin... Did I mention skunky?

It never ceases to amaze me that the “normal” flavor profile of this beer is skunk-like. I'm not sure if it is the ingredients, the brewing process, the storage process or the green glass bottles but I have experienced the same thing each time I have sampled it over the years.

3.75/5  rDev +36.4%

Although not bad, it is a forgettable beer. To me, this is a budget lager. I normally would only buy this if I was low on money. Nevertheless, it isn't a bad choice.

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L4192724T14. AROMA: medium-low grainy aroma with some sweetness. faint herbal hop aromas. APPEARANCE: gold color with a thin white moussy head with below average retention. TASTE: watery grainy flavour with residual sweetness. low bitterness with an almost dry finish. PALATE: light body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: yet another bulk pale lager a bit watery...

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

Had a couple of these tonight so wanted to review it. I use to love this stuff in college, but today I can't really understand why. I know now why I haven't had one in years.

Appearance is off-gold in color. Good head that retained for a bit with visible carbonation.

The smell isn't very remarkable. Slight stinky veggie smell with maybe a hint of spice.

This beer doesn't taste very good, it's dry/bitter with that signature skunky Heineken aftertaste. It will do the job, but if you have other options you probably will go elsewhere.

Overall I give it a 1.5. Not something I'll be buying again. You can get something better for the same price in the US.

2.37/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like Europe lager and pilsners but this is just ok. Smell a little skunky even from a 24 oz can. Light yellow color. Little head but decent lacing. Taste is bitter medium feel. It is ok

4.25/5  rDev +54.5%

When I was like 14 I used to go down to the shore every summer and pound these "green grenades" on the pier away from the lights with my cousin Ronny. Now I don't know a ton about beer, but any beer thats light and airy enough for a 14 year old to kill 9 of in a single sitting is doing something right. Shortly after I moved on to harder stuff for a while but rediscovered the joy and memories of that slender green bottle when I got a couple years older and started hitting the clubs. Word to the wise - no girl doesn't like a good Heineken so that puts it pretty high on my list.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.