Heineken Lager Beer - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

poor

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heineken Lager Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,283 | Hads: 4,358
2.09/5  rDev -24.8%

Skunky, pale, fizzy, thin... Did I mention skunky?

It never ceases to amaze me that the “normal” flavor profile of this beer is skunk-like. I'm not sure if it is the ingredients, the brewing process, the storage process or the green glass bottles but I have experienced the same thing each time I have sampled it over the years. (334 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

Although not bad, it is a forgettable beer. To me, this is a budget lager. I normally would only buy this if I was low on money. Nevertheless, it isn't a bad choice. (165 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L4192724T14. AROMA: medium-low grainy aroma with some sweetness. faint herbal hop aromas. APPEARANCE: gold color with a thin white moussy head with below average retention. TASTE: watery grainy flavour with residual sweetness. low bitterness with an almost dry finish. PALATE: light body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: yet another bulk pale lager a bit watery... (438 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

Had a couple of these tonight so wanted to review it. I use to love this stuff in college, but today I can't really understand why. I know now why I haven't had one in years.

Appearance is off-gold in color. Good head that retained for a bit with visible carbonation.

The smell isn't very remarkable. Slight stinky veggie smell with maybe a hint of spice.

This beer doesn't taste very good, it's dry/bitter with that signature skunky Heineken aftertaste. It will do the job, but if you have other options you probably will go elsewhere.

Overall I give it a 1.5. Not something I'll be buying again. You can get something better for the same price in the US. (664 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like Europe lager and pilsners but this is just ok. Smell a little skunky even from a 24 oz can. Light yellow color. Little head but decent lacing. Taste is bitter medium feel. It is ok (187 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +52.9%

When I was like 14 I used to go down to the shore every summer and pound these "green grenades" on the pier away from the lights with my cousin Ronny. Now I don't know a ton about beer, but any beer thats light and airy enough for a 14 year old to kill 9 of in a single sitting is doing something right. Shortly after I moved on to harder stuff for a while but rediscovered the joy and memories of that slender green bottle when I got a couple years older and started hitting the clubs. Word to the wise - no girl doesn't like a good Heineken so that puts it pretty high on my list. (583 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

A classic beer that is a no brainer to enjoy. Pours a light yellow, with a good head, this is a flavorful Lager that is one of my favorite beers. I find Heineken to be a pleasant tasting brew, one that ranks among the best imported beers I've had. I've had better beers, but Heineken is a classic and refreshing beer. I grew up drinking this beer, so it's only natural that I love it the way I do. (397 characters)

Poured into a branded glass in Paddy O’ Ryans (Leeuwarden, Netherlands)

Before I start this review two notes I feel I need to make 1) This is a Euro pale lager and my review is based on that premise taking into account what the style should be and what the beer is trying to do.
2) This beer is one of the most popular in its home land and very popular further afield as many of us know popularity is often a note of branding rather than taste and most drinkers tend to go for something light and easy to consume.
An understanding of these two points is central to my review…

A – Light amber in colour with a healthy Dutch style two finger head that seems to dissipate quickly to a minimal lace on top leaving very light lace on the glass. Decent carbonation activity in the glass so for the type this beer looks very good.

S – Mild malt with some banana and clove which I must confess to being surprised by. Some herbal and leafy notes. Low hop smell. Not a common aroma for the style.

T – The taste is rather like the smell. There is some mild malt sweetness with banana and clove like notes in the middle but this is then nudged out of the way by more hop flavours that were absent in the smell. Sipped this beer is alright but when you swig it the taste is much improved and the malts and hop balance one another and taste so much better. There is a dry finish.

MF – Pretty full in the mouth with decent carbon tingle and a drying finish.

O – An odd Euro lager. It is not straight down the line for the style as there is more sweetness in this than I would be used to or even expect. That aside this beer is more than drinkable and certainly deserves a higher rating than it is presently enjoying. Is this super exciting? NO. Is it worth the heavy imported price in the USA? NO. Are there better dutch lagers out there? YES.... But is it drinkable and even enjoyable in the right circumstance and setting? YES most definitely! (1,951 characters)

An excellent hoppy beer if you want a bite. I don't understand the low ratings on this. Yea, it's not
the greatest in the world but it's way ahead of a bud! (156 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +70.9%

A pure malt beer honest, without chemical additives; do not know much about beer, I'm starting to take now, but for me it is one of the best cost-benefit in Brazil, at least inside where craft are hard to reach. Enough corn beer! (229 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -20.5%

I tested this beer a second time for a second review, because every one were telling me to give it a second try.
I did and I still give the same 2,25/5. I was still disappointed.

First reason : The smell : I got to say, it has a unique smell. But the smell, remind me of the traffic inside a city.
It has a nice light color, u can see trough the class.
The carbonation is really light, you don't see that much bubble inside the glass.

The second reason. The taste, like you taste nothing. As an economic beer that would be on the top but as a premium beer, you can get much better. (Leffe, 1664 blanc, Hoegaarden)

So would I recommend it ? From my point of view... NO. I mean it depends on your taste, it's not bad, but you can get much much better for the same price. (772 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a16 oz. Heineken tumbler from a Heineken mini keg.

Look: Clear golden body, white head that recedes to a thick film that stays. Light world map lacing.

Aroma: Cereal grains, sweet malts, a mellow banana peel note, and faint hops.

Taste: Smooth malts and cereal grains, slight hints of straw or grass. Faint hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy.

Overall: Pretty average and forgettable, but no skunk from the aluminum mini keg. (452 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +32%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't like when people give Heineken a bad rap and continue to promote other lagers full of garbage preservatives and additives but everyone is entitled to their opinion that's what reviews are for. Not the best GMO free beer but its good and has good availability. I would choose Amstel over it but I enjoy it. I like its fizz. Smell isn't great but it really doesn't taste like it smells. Good for any occasion really. But once the temp raises its awful. (458 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +44.2%

From what I see people here give really negative reviews for this beer. I don't know, maybe worse batch? In my humble opinion - this is basically the best "quick" lager beer you can get on the market. Wanna have a quick light beer? This is the perfect choice. I'll choose it over any other lager for a casual talk with friends. The taste is really good (cooled down), it doesn't smell terribly BAD and has an okay color. (420 characters)

In my opinion this is the worst beer on the market today. Or I should say the American Heineken is the worst. Apparently if you get it in Europe it is way better but I have yet to see. It was near clear with a little fiz. The smell was skunky as was the taste with a bad lingering aftertaste. It's one of the most popular beers in America and I just don't understand why. (371 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +23%

Pours a clear golden, straw color with a 2 finger head that dissipates quickly in a 16oz pub glass leaving little lacing.

Smell is pretty decent. I get the malts with a slight skunkyness. Reminds me a lot of a corona or a modelo or something similar.

Taste is pretty much the same. I get the skunkyness with the malts and a little bit of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfell is a little watery but not too bad.

Overall, a good beer in my opinion. Would be a good one to have while setting by the pool or on the beach. Really refreshing. (540 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer was an ok beer. I liked the smell of this beer, and the taste of it was not all that bad. The aroma of this beer was not all that bad as well. I liked the golden color of this beer. It did not have a strong taste to it, which was actually pretty good. The smell of this beer was pretty good as well. I know that I enjoyed this beer. (342 characters)

This kind of tasted like seawater in a bottle. Not pleasant or enjoyable. Plus even more points lost for the green bottle. I don't care whether it is part of their look or not, brown bottle or nothing.

Will not seek out, purchase, or even drink again. (252 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I cannot believe I reviewed 274 beers before I made it to Heineken. An old favorite.

Appearance 3.25: Pours out a pale yellow with very little head. No lacing. Completely translucent.

Smell 3.25: Yep, that's a lager! Typical bubblegum/phenol lager bouquet with a slight hint of hops and yeast.

Taste 3.25: Front is slightly sweet and this fades immediately into the middle where a big wave of light malt and lagery bubblegum await. Finish is where a slight hoppiness pops up briefly only to fade away into a wave of sweet malt and nice taste of yeast. This, in turn, fades into a certain dryness that slowly creeps into the aftertaste, which is grainy and mysteriously satisfying.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Great mouthfeel for the style.

Overall 3.25: Lagers are lagers and this one is one of the best, which isn't saying much. It's always trendy to slam the "mega-brews," but there is a reason Heineken is one of the world's most popular: it's actually pretty good. Excellent with all food types, this Dutch juggernaut just keeps on rolling after all these years. Certainly not one of the best beers in the world, it is, nonetheless, one of the better lagers and imminently sessionable. Found 24 of them on sale for $20 at Total Wine in Atlanta and could not say no. (1,263 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is a beer I've tried to like, but I find it to be tinny, thin-tasting, and unpleasant. I guess it has more of a "pilsener" feel than many BMC-style beers, but I don't think it's any great shakes. (200 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -45%

I gave this another shot. Was really good. Originally i thought this was bad. But since my tastes have changed from light to stronger and different styles, this is good. Some say its skunked, havent really come across that, since i buy mine from a website and its fresh. when buying from a store, you never know how long it sits on the shelf. when buying from a website you can get it fresh. Fresh heineken is some of the best beer i've had. First time i bought it from a store. Good quality when fresh. (503 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Well it's hard to believe I've never reviewed the infamous heiny because I've certainly had enough of them over the years. Back in the day, when the only thing close to craft beer was imported beer, and there were few choices at that, heiny was one of the top choices that existed. There was bass ale, beck's, heiny and St Pauly Girl, and then there was BMC fluff, and not much else existed between those choices.

This beer poured pretty decently, somewhat yellow and pretty clear, with some rising bubbles, a good head that lasted a bit and left some lace and a sheen of dense white thin foam on top.

Now the classic "wisdom" was that heiny was pre-skunked before they shipped it over. I doubt this was true, but there might have been some truth to it because of the green bottles. I don't know, but I'm still slightly inclined to want to think that heiny is the definitive "skunked" taste. That's probably not true because this beer doesn't taste like it's been mis-handled at all.

Heiny is a beer with more flavor than average for the style. Whether that's skunked or other, who cares. I can't really say that I'm having an unpleasant time consuming this beer. And I am one to rate a beer for what it is, not what today's (or yesterday's) beer geek thinks it is. A bit of sweetness accents a bit of grass and grain and a generally lagery taste and aroma. Maybe it's "funk" not skunk, because there's a bit of unusual-ness in heiny, there always has been.

Body is medium and thicker than your usual lager, but I'm not complaining. It's satisfying my thirst and i'm enjoying my beer.

WAY back in the day there was a time when the big stadiums didn't have anything except bud, bud light, miller, coors or heiny. Back in those days I was willing to pay nearly anything for a beer with some flavor, and heiny was a lifesaver. Today I can't say I really think heiny is at the top of the eschelon of beers, but I also can't say it's changed much. So the rating I give it here is what it gets, and I'm unapologetic for it. Thanks heiny. (2,041 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Heineken Lager Beer brewed by Heineken Nederland B.V. with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a white head. The smell of this brew is skunky with some grains. I will have to say this it is a lot smoother than most brews that come out of a green bottle. The mouthfeel is nice at the end. Heineken Lager goes down smooth. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I don't believe I will be getting this brew again. (437 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 14 June 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the ubiquitous green bottle, part of the "Heineken Cities" campaign. Looks like I got an old-style Amsterdam label. New bottle cap, which is half the reason why I had this at all.

Smell: Light, somewhat earthy smells, medium DMS (cooked vegetables) and a hint of that omnipresent skunk.

Taste: "Beery" which little to no assertive flavors. Slight DMS in the taste, along with a touch of skunk, but neither were overpowering. No hop presence at all, and little flavor from the malt as well. Finishes semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel: Nice lively carbonation makes up for the light body, making this an enjoyable thirst quencher.

Overall: It's Heineken. You gotta take it for what it is- a cheap, mostly flavorless Euro Pale Lager in a green bottle that people buy because of advertising. The beer gives off an aura of sophistication due to the advertising, much like Stella, but I'll take a Stella over Heineken any day of the week. (1,009 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

A - Doesn't look bad, you can get a nice head on it and it has an okay retention. Very clear and light yellow in color. Looks like a light lager.

S - Cheap adjuncts, maybe a slight grassy hops, but really not enough to speak of. Pretty much just smells cheap.

T - Cheap adjuncts. Taste like it smells. Not much else to say about it.

M - Watery despite a decent amount of carbonation.

O - You know what you're getting with this one. It looks nice, but it is like the European version of our cheap adjuncts. Save the money and head for the bargain section and get something you used to drink in college, because the quality is the same, if not better, in many of those. (672 characters)

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.