Heineken Oud Bruin - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Oud BruinHeineken Oud Bruin

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Dark Lager |  2.50% ABV

Doesn't fit to Flanders Oud Bruin beer style category. Fits to Oud Bruin from Netherlands. It means uncomplicated in aroma and taste, low alcohol (usually 2,5% to 3,5% by ABV), semi-dark (amber) to dark lager with dominant sweetness.

Micheal Jackson translates Oud Bruin from Netherlands like Old Brown Lager.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jeffack:
jeffack

08-07-2012 20:41:54 | More by jeffack
Mora2000

2.95/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brownish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is very faint, but I get a little bit of toffee. The flavor is more pronounced. I get some toffee and some nuttyness from the malt. The beer is fairly sweet. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this tastes like a watered down English Brown Ale.

10-12-2010 22:15:15 | More by Mora2000
sfprint

Germany

2.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into my Chimay chalice.

A: Very dark brown, extremely dark coffee. Basically no head. Too dark to see any carbonation,.
S: Sacchrine toasted malt, coffee grounds.
T: Very sweet to the degree of being unfitting. Very coffee like, but for me it's even sweeter than coffee ice cream. Does not taste like beer. Tastes like weak, cheap coffee with way too much aritificial sweetner. This is not beer. It's like an off brand cola crossed with a weird coffee drink.
M: Mild sting. Kinda like a relatively flat soda.
O: Not a beer.

09-30-2011 03:20:00 | More by sfprint
jahsausage

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

sweet. I was going to make it a one word review but I wasn't allowed to. This beer is almost overpoweringly sweet and if you aren't prepared for that then you might find it quite suprising. It is also 2.5% so is not very rewarding even if you do manage to get it all down. The prominent "Heineken" logo leads one to expect some form of lagery goodness but I guess variety is the spice of life and Heineken ought to be appluaded for making something out of the mass-produced norm but this one is just too sweet and not hoppy enough for my unrefined tastebuds.

12-06-2002 19:37:46 | More by jahsausage
brinch

Denmark

03-16-2012 19:54:03 | More by brinch
chuckj76

01-18-2012 01:21:15 | More by chuckj76
RuudJH

2.17/5  rDev -22.8%

Heineken 30 cl bottle. Oud bruin is very common style in the lowlands.
Smell and taste has some malts, but also corn, which is a pitty to me. It's quite sweet, characteristic for the style.
It's smooth, but a bit boring. Aftertaste is just very sugarry.
Very common drink. A disappointing experience. Corn taste is beer is just the worst.

04-06-2011 14:44:21 | More by RuudJH
metter98

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle at Oud Holland, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A: The beer is clear but very dark reddish brown in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that died down but never completely faded away.
S: Light aromas of sweet flat cola are present in the nose along with some hints of caramel.
T: Like the smell, the taste is a little sweet and has light flavors of a defizzed cola.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount if carbonation.
O: This beer isn't too sweet so it is easy to drink but doesn't taste much like a bier.

04-16-2013 06:09:53 | More by metter98
AtrumAnimus

4.53/5  rDev +61.2%

This is a diffent style of beer. I have never had one like it since. Nor have I ever seen it again. I only got the chance to try it in a small town called Brugges in Belgium at a seafood restraunt. Man it was incredible.

Sweet and a little smokey in flavor, kind of woody too though I couldn't place the woodiness. Not for the average but would also be a good starter beer for those that judge a beer by its color. This is a black beer. darker than Guiness from what I recall but not near as heavy. And did I say sweet. This is considered an after dinner or desert beer from what the waiter told me and is also rather low in alchohol content. My wife even liked it and she hates beer.

12-02-2002 11:11:53 | More by AtrumAnimus
MTNboy

Germany

2.44/5  rDev -13.2%

This was an odd beer for me. It reminds me of one of those nonalcoholic malt drinks. The appearance is nice. Dark brown body with great tan and lace. The smell is overly sweet and only has strong tone of malt. It has chocolate over sweet taste with a very chalky aftertaste. It has a full body.

08-10-2013 10:21:19 | More by MTNboy
Douberd

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

0.3 cl bottle. Pours a very dark brown, a tone or two before black. Beige head that goes out fast. Sweet, thin taste, very lightly carbonated. Reminds me of a beer an uncle of mine was giving me when I was 5-6 years old, a "kid’s beer". It was that which hooked up on beers I guess, so I really liked this beer, also, nostalgia.

02-02-2012 18:45:15 | More by Douberd
jerryjeff

Tennessee

Aroma
Faint but perceptible sweetness, somewhat cola like or possibly caramel

Mouthfeel
Definite creaminess on the palette with a little bitterness, low carbonation

Appearance
Dark mahoghany approaching blackish with no real head or residual lacing (although in hotel without a great glass)

Taste
Somewhat cola like with burnt caramel tones

Drinkability
I guess it's drinkable, but very sweet. It's a bit too much for me, a one and done.

Overall
Compared to other 'oud bruins' I've had this is not exactly good. I don't believe it's in the belgian style, or intended to be. The carbonation helps a bit but there's just too much residual sweetness.

06-01-2011 03:21:00 | More by jerryjeff

01-31-2013 19:19:34 | More by kevinhughes
medic25

Connecticut

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

Picked up a bottle at Superfood in Aruba. Color was a nice brown, fairly flat appearing. The sweet aroma should have been my first clue that I would not enjoy this. Flavor was a sickening, cloying sweetness that overwhelmed any other tastes. I suppose some hint of malt, but it was like drinking sugar water. Mouthfeel was slightly sickening. I managed to sample half the bottle before giving up and dumping it. I apologize if this is to style, as it is not one I'm used to, but I have to rate it based on how I enjoyed it, and it was terrible.

04-25-2011 03:44:18 | More by medic25
Andreji

Colombia

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Ok, please. I feel compelled to outrule this as a beer. In colombia we drink this thing as a soft drink (no kiddin here) and is popular within the ages of 6 and 13.

The pour is dark like unprocessed sugar. Not too thick but with a body.No head. fizzy at the beginning like a soda.

Smell is sugary, very, very malty. And that's what the taste is. Pure malt. no hops, barely any alcohol in itself, no emotions, nothing. Bring me a coke for that matter.

04-03-2004 17:20:00 | More by Andreji
TheBrewo

2.43/5  rDev -13.5%

We pour a brew of the deepest brown, showing maroon flecks when held to light. There is a two finger tall head of medium brown bubbles that shows lower retention. Rings of lacing are left, and a big ghostly aggregate is seen over half the liquid. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears mild. The aroma is adjuncty, with coiny metallics and light chocolates, like a Tootsie Roll. The nose is creamy and otherwise very mild. Our first impression is expressed as “Holy diabetes!!” The sip opens with synthetic white sugar sweetness which is damn near blinding. Such a shock off that nose. This sweetness really drowns everything but the mildest roasty caramel grain out. The middle peaks with more of those grainy notes drowned in pure sugar. There is a break enough to allow coiny metals and a slight lactic sourness through, but these are quickly swallowed again. The end shows a hint of alcohols, caramel, adjuncts, mild hollow coffee bean, and more of that insane sugariness. The aftertaste is sweet, caramel, chalky, corny, and adjuncty. The body is light to medium, and the carbonation is lighter. The mouth is left with a sticky coating all around, while each sip carries decent slurp and froth, with a final puckering pop. The abv is appropriate, and this beer is hard to drink.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. The coloring was nice, and the head was clean and inviting. The flavoring, however, proved to be one of the sweetest things we’ve ever had. The sugars were synthetic, like aspartame, which was so overpowering it made this beer quite one dimensional. It was just so overpowering, and the bottle was actually pretty hard to finish.

08-07-2012 01:11:57 | More by TheBrewo
patto1ro

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Toffee and apple aroma; very sweet taste with apple and caramel aromas; fruity finish. Quite a pleasant fruity aroma. Very sweet in the mouth with almost no trace of hops. However, all that is perfectly acceptable for this style. Amazingly, it's one of Heineken's better regular beers.

BTW, this is not a Flanders Oud Bruin, but a Dutch Oud Bruin, a completely different style. Dutch Oud Bruin is a dark, sweet, low-alcohol lager. All the Dutch lager brewers produce one. They vary in strength from 2.5% ABV to 3.5% ABV.

08-23-2007 08:36:58 | More by patto1ro
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

I had the opportunity to try this beer when I was on vacation in Aruba.
Pours a solid dark brown with a creamy off white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is malty, brown sugar and molasses. I could find no hop presence in the nose. Taste is sweet caramel malts and burnt sugar. Medium body crisp carbonation thick syrupy mouthfeel. Definitely different! This is a low alcohol, very sweet beverage that frankly I had trouble finishing. Reminds me more of the malt soft drinks I've tried than a beer.
I couldn't rate this properly because there isn't a style for this on BA so I don't know what the guidelines are for the style. It is currently categorized incorrectly as a Flanders Oud Bruin.

10-03-2008 23:31:04 | More by johnnnniee

07-21-2012 13:37:42 | More by supermeniscus
Domingo

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Pretty strange brew I ran across in Amsterdam. It was at an Indonesian restaurant as "dark beer" and the bottle was in Dutch...so I wasn't sure what I was drinking.
Poured a normal dark brown color. I assumed that it was akin to a brown ale or dark lager as a result.
Smell was VERY much caramel...and cola. At this point I feared it might've been some variety of Cola/Beer mix that I'd encountered in Germany.
Flavor was definitely VERY sweet, but not in a bad way. I actually really enjoyed it to be honest. Cola flavors persisted, but it was clearly the brew's natural flavor rather than some kind of bastardized brew for the radler-drinkers.
Mouthfeel was a definite weakpoint. Very thin, and barely any head.
Drinkability was quite high, though. After having one, I wanted more.
Pretty good brew that's nothing like any I've had before or since. Worth a try most definitely.

EDIT: After doing some research, apparently this isn't trying to be a Belgian/Flanders Oud Bruin. It's actually a Dutch style that is a very mild dark lager with minimal hops that is sweetened after the brewing process. I guess it's a traditional style with legitimate roots.
Definitely not for everybody, but worth trying as it's a style you're not going to find outside of Holland.

01-06-2006 00:47:26 | More by Domingo
John

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Dark brown appearance with a healthy head. Sweet, dark grain, prune-like aroma. Sweetness is the predominate flavor with prune/raisin, molasses essence and only hints of bitterness. Mouthfeel is full, semi-slick. Not bad at all, just a bit cloyingly sweet.

06-11-2002 11:32:07 | More by John
buckyp

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -11%

12-31-2011 02:51:56 | More by buckyp
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Heineken Oud Bruin from Heineken Nederland B.V.