Heineken Oud Bruin - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Oud BruinHeineken Oud Bruin

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website

Euro Dark Lager |  2.50% ABV

Doesn't fit to Flanders Oud Bruin beer style category. Fits to Oud Bruin from Netherlands. It means uncomplicated in aroma and taste, low alcohol (usually 2,5% to 3,5% by ABV), semi-dark (amber) to dark lager with dominant sweetness.

Micheal Jackson translates Oud Bruin from Netherlands like Old Brown Lager.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
AtrumAnimus

4.53/5  rDev +59.5%

This is a diffent style of beer. I have never had one like it since. Nor have I ever seen it again. I only got the chance to try it in a small town called Brugges in Belgium at a seafood restraunt. Man it was incredible.

Sweet and a little smokey in flavor, kind of woody too though I couldn't place the woodiness. Not for the average but would also be a good starter beer for those that judge a beer by its color. This is a black beer. darker than Guiness from what I recall but not near as heavy. And did I say sweet. This is considered an after dinner or desert beer from what the waiter told me and is also rather low in alchohol content. My wife even liked it and she hates beer.

12-02-2002 11:11:53 | More by AtrumAnimus

New Hampshire

12-06-2011 18:18:11 | More by Rochefort10nh
trinitone

3.9/5  rDev +37.3%

While visiting friends in Holland, I picked up a bottle at the grocery store to try. I had already been surprised to see Heineken Lager in the brown "non-export" bottles and was even more surprised to see a brown Heineken beer. Of course, I learned a lot more after visiting the Heineken Brewery later in that trip.

As I poured the beer, I thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know Heineken made soda." A cola brown color and a sweet, caramel like aroma hinted at what my taste buds were about to experience. The head was decent, but did not live up to the "two finger" standard followed by the Dutch. Taste was definitely that of a "malt-cola" flavor of sugary, syrupy sweetness. No distinguishable bitterness or hoppiness. Mouthfeel was average with a slight carbonation tingle. After emptying the glass, the sweetness lingered on the palate and oddly left me wanting another.

As a beer, it's not the best, but I think it fits the style fairly well. I personally liked it and recommend trying it at least once.

10-10-2006 13:57:56 | More by trinitone
Domingo

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +36.6%

Pretty strange brew I ran across in Amsterdam. It was at an Indonesian restaurant as "dark beer" and the bottle was in Dutch...so I wasn't sure what I was drinking.
Poured a normal dark brown color. I assumed that it was akin to a brown ale or dark lager as a result.
Smell was VERY much caramel...and cola. At this point I feared it might've been some variety of Cola/Beer mix that I'd encountered in Germany.
Flavor was definitely VERY sweet, but not in a bad way. I actually really enjoyed it to be honest. Cola flavors persisted, but it was clearly the brew's natural flavor rather than some kind of bastardized brew for the radler-drinkers.
Mouthfeel was a definite weakpoint. Very thin, and barely any head.
Drinkability was quite high, though. After having one, I wanted more.
Pretty good brew that's nothing like any I've had before or since. Worth a try most definitely.

EDIT: After doing some research, apparently this isn't trying to be a Belgian/Flanders Oud Bruin. It's actually a Dutch style that is a very mild dark lager with minimal hops that is sweetened after the brewing process. I guess it's a traditional style with legitimate roots.
Definitely not for everybody, but worth trying as it's a style you're not going to find outside of Holland.

01-06-2006 00:47:26 | More by Domingo
killianf

3.75/5  rDev +32%

03-18-2012 17:05:27 | More by killianf
Douberd

3.6/5  rDev +26.8%

0.3 cl bottle. Pours a very dark brown, a tone or two before black. Beige head that goes out fast. Sweet, thin taste, very lightly carbonated. Reminds me of a beer an uncle of mine was giving me when I was 5-6 years old, a "kid’s beer". It was that which hooked up on beers I guess, so I really liked this beer, also, nostalgia.

02-02-2012 18:45:15 | More by Douberd

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

04-16-2013 20:23:33 | More by Bandi
John

3.48/5  rDev +22.5%

Dark brown appearance with a healthy head. Sweet, dark grain, prune-like aroma. Sweetness is the predominate flavor with prune/raisin, molasses essence and only hints of bitterness. Mouthfeel is full, semi-slick. Not bad at all, just a bit cloyingly sweet.

06-11-2002 11:32:07 | More by John
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

I had the opportunity to try this beer when I was on vacation in Aruba.
Pours a solid dark brown with a creamy off white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is malty, brown sugar and molasses. I could find no hop presence in the nose. Taste is sweet caramel malts and burnt sugar. Medium body crisp carbonation thick syrupy mouthfeel. Definitely different! This is a low alcohol, very sweet beverage that frankly I had trouble finishing. Reminds me more of the malt soft drinks I've tried than a beer.
I couldn't rate this properly because there isn't a style for this on BA so I don't know what the guidelines are for the style. It is currently categorized incorrectly as a Flanders Oud Bruin.

10-03-2008 23:31:04 | More by johnnnniee
BJSmit

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

04-02-2014 11:15:08 | More by BJSmit
metter98

3.1/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle at Oud Holland, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A: The beer is clear but very dark reddish brown in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that died down but never completely faded away.
S: Light aromas of sweet flat cola are present in the nose along with some hints of caramel.
T: Like the smell, the taste is a little sweet and has light flavors of a defizzed cola.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount if carbonation.
O: This beer isn't too sweet so it is easy to drink but doesn't taste much like a bier.

04-16-2013 06:09:53 | More by metter98
brinch

Denmark

03-16-2012 19:54:03 | More by brinch
chuckj76

01-18-2012 01:21:15 | More by chuckj76
jerryjeff

Tennessee

Aroma
Faint but perceptible sweetness, somewhat cola like or possibly caramel

Mouthfeel
Definite creaminess on the palette with a little bitterness, low carbonation

Appearance
Dark mahoghany approaching blackish with no real head or residual lacing (although in hotel without a great glass)

Taste
Somewhat cola like with burnt caramel tones

Drinkability
I guess it's drinkable, but very sweet. It's a bit too much for me, a one and done.

Overall
Compared to other 'oud bruins' I've had this is not exactly good. I don't believe it's in the belgian style, or intended to be. The carbonation helps a bit but there's just too much residual sweetness.

06-01-2011 03:21:00 | More by jerryjeff

DARIVA

04-10-2012 12:36:58 | More by DARIVA
Mora2000

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brownish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is very faint, but I get a little bit of toffee. The flavor is more pronounced. I get some toffee and some nuttyness from the malt. The beer is fairly sweet. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this tastes like a watered down English Brown Ale.

10-12-2010 22:15:15 | More by Mora2000

supermeniscus

2.5/5  rDev -12%

07-21-2012 13:37:42 | More by supermeniscus
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Heineken Oud Bruin from Heineken Nederland B.V.