Heineken Oud Bruin - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Oud BruinHeineken Oud Bruin

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  2.50% ABV

Doesn't fit to Flanders Oud Bruin beer style category. Fits to Oud Bruin from Netherlands. It means uncomplicated in aroma and taste, low alcohol (usually 2,5% to 3,5% by ABV), semi-dark (amber) to dark lager with dominant sweetness.

Micheal Jackson translates Oud Bruin from Netherlands like Old Brown Lager.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.3/5  rDev -53.9%

300ml bottle poured in a chalice.

A: Looks like beer. A dark amber to brown color and a medium to big tan bubbled head when poured. Minimal retention. The head completely disappears after some seconds leaving no lacings at all

S: Sweet. Roasted malts

T: Very sweet. Disgusting, really. Some roasted malts but basically a terrible taste of brown sugar. No hops, no bitterness. By the way, this is not a Flanders Oud Bruin

M: Sweet and watery. Very light body and almost zero carbonation. Aftertaste is a disgusting and artificial taste of syrup

O: Absolutely terrible. One of the worst (if not THE worst) "beer" I've ever had. A complete waste of time and money. My advise: Don't try it!

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

Picked up a bottle at Superfood in Aruba. Color was a nice brown, fairly flat appearing. The sweet aroma should have been my first clue that I would not enjoy this. Flavor was a sickening, cloying sweetness that overwhelmed any other tastes. I suppose some hint of malt, but it was like drinking sugar water. Mouthfeel was slightly sickening. I managed to sample half the bottle before giving up and dumping it. I apologize if this is to style, as it is not one I'm used to, but I have to rate it based on how I enjoyed it, and it was terrible.

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

1.75/5  rDev -37.9%

Got this from a student of mine. He brought "samples" for the class.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a small thinish looking tan head that quickly disappears, leaving a thin film around the edges and no lacing. Colour is a very dark looking cola brown, almost black. Next to zero carbonation evident.

SMELL: Weak nose; not much there really. Some caramel malt and other touches of brown sugar sweetness, but not much worth talking about.

TASTE: Follows the nose with caramel malt and brown sugar. Sweet malt is definitely dominant and no hop presence. Lots of sweetness with a long lasting sweet aftertaste. Too sweet for my palate.

PALATE: Very thin and watery with low carbonation. Reminds me of flat cola. Finishes very neutral and slightly cloying on the palate, but really too thin and watery to be enjoyable.

OVERALL: Not a fan. I don't really know the style very well yet, but I definitely won't be picking this one up again. Too thin, water, and overly sweet. I couldn't finish it. Thanks to my student for brining it in, but I'll have to pass next time.

1.88/5  rDev -33.3%

I tried this on recent trip to Amsterdam. This beer tastes like root beer, I felt like I was sucking on a cube of brown sugar. Beyond the incredible sweet, stickiness, there was virtually no body to this and very little carbonation. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the Old Brown style, but I can't think of a reason why I would want to every try this again.

2.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into my Chimay chalice.

A: Very dark brown, extremely dark coffee. Basically no head. Too dark to see any carbonation,.
S: Sacchrine toasted malt, coffee grounds.
T: Very sweet to the degree of being unfitting. Very coffee like, but for me it's even sweeter than coffee ice cream. Does not taste like beer. Tastes like weak, cheap coffee with way too much aritificial sweetner. This is not beer. It's like an off brand cola crossed with a weird coffee drink.
M: Mild sting. Kinda like a relatively flat soda.
O: Not a beer.

2.15/5  rDev -23.8%

Ok, please. I feel compelled to outrule this as a beer. In colombia we drink this thing as a soft drink (no kiddin here) and is popular within the ages of 6 and 13.

The pour is dark like unprocessed sugar. Not too thick but with a body.No head. fizzy at the beginning like a soda.

Smell is sugary, very, very malty. And that's what the taste is. Pure malt. no hops, barely any alcohol in itself, no emotions, nothing. Bring me a coke for that matter.

2.17/5  rDev -23%

Heineken 30 cl bottle. Oud bruin is very common style in the lowlands.
Smell and taste has some malts, but also corn, which is a pitty to me. It's quite sweet, characteristic for the style.
It's smooth, but a bit boring. Aftertaste is just very sugarry.
Very common drink. A disappointing experience. Corn taste is beer is just the worst.

2.2/5  rDev -22%

Toffee and apple aroma; very sweet taste with apple and caramel aromas; fruity finish. Quite a pleasant fruity aroma. Very sweet in the mouth with almost no trace of hops. However, all that is perfectly acceptable for this style. Amazingly, it's one of Heineken's better regular beers.

BTW, this is not a Flanders Oud Bruin, but a Dutch Oud Bruin, a completely different style. Dutch Oud Bruin is a dark, sweet, low-alcohol lager. All the Dutch lager brewers produce one. They vary in strength from 2.5% ABV to 3.5% ABV.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

sweet. I was going to make it a one word review but I wasn't allowed to. This beer is almost overpoweringly sweet and if you aren't prepared for that then you might find it quite suprising. It is also 2.5% so is not very rewarding even if you do manage to get it all down. The prominent "Heineken" logo leads one to expect some form of lagery goodness but I guess variety is the spice of life and Heineken ought to be appluaded for making something out of the mass-produced norm but this one is just too sweet and not hoppy enough for my unrefined tastebuds.

2.38/5  rDev -15.6%

it's difficult to remain neutral while reviewing something you don't like .... and this brew is definitely not to my personal liking ...

while pouring I actually had quite some expectations, the color is very dark black, almost opaque, the head was firm and steady ... the smell was not very spectacular, which I explained for myself to be a result of the chill (I poured it at 6 degrees Celsius) ... the taste ... well, best described by "Dry Pepsi Light with a hint of malt" ... says it all I guess ...

again, I am not saying this is a bad beer, I am just stating I don't like it ...

2.4/5  rDev -14.9%

bought this beer in a dutch supermarket.
Look: pours a dark amber brown color with a large light brown head.
Smell: sweet caramel and burned malts
taste: sweet,very sweet. Like brown sugar was added. Some faint roasted malts and no hops and/or bitterness at all.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation with a thickish body
overall: way to sweet. Less sugar,more hops please

2.43/5  rDev -13.8%

We pour a brew of the deepest brown, showing maroon flecks when held to light. There is a two finger tall head of medium brown bubbles that shows lower retention. Rings of lacing are left, and a big ghostly aggregate is seen over half the liquid. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears mild. The aroma is adjuncty, with coiny metallics and light chocolates, like a Tootsie Roll. The nose is creamy and otherwise very mild. Our first impression is expressed as “Holy diabetes!!” The sip opens with synthetic white sugar sweetness which is damn near blinding. Such a shock off that nose. This sweetness really drowns everything but the mildest roasty caramel grain out. The middle peaks with more of those grainy notes drowned in pure sugar. There is a break enough to allow coiny metals and a slight lactic sourness through, but these are quickly swallowed again. The end shows a hint of alcohols, caramel, adjuncts, mild hollow coffee bean, and more of that insane sugariness. The aftertaste is sweet, caramel, chalky, corny, and adjuncty. The body is light to medium, and the carbonation is lighter. The mouth is left with a sticky coating all around, while each sip carries decent slurp and froth, with a final puckering pop. The abv is appropriate, and this beer is hard to drink.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. The coloring was nice, and the head was clean and inviting. The flavoring, however, proved to be one of the sweetest things we’ve ever had. The sugars were synthetic, like aspartame, which was so overpowering it made this beer quite one dimensional. It was just so overpowering, and the bottle was actually pretty hard to finish.

2.44/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was an odd beer for me. It reminds me of one of those nonalcoholic malt drinks. The appearance is nice. Dark brown body with great tan and lace. The smell is overly sweet and only has strong tone of malt. It has chocolate over sweet taste with a very chalky aftertaste. It has a full body.

2.64/5  rDev -6.4%

2.95/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brownish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is very faint, but I get a little bit of toffee. The flavor is more pronounced. I get some toffee and some nuttyness from the malt. The beer is fairly sweet. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this tastes like a watered down English Brown Ale.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Heineken Oud Bruin from Heineken Nederland B.V.