Heineken Oud Bruin - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Oud BruinHeineken Oud Bruin

poor

Heineken Nederland B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Dark Lager |  2.50% ABV

Doesn't fit to Flanders Oud Bruin beer style category. Fits to Oud Bruin from Netherlands. It means uncomplicated in aroma and taste, low alcohol (usually 2,5% to 3,5% by ABV), semi-dark (amber) to dark lager with dominant sweetness.

Micheal Jackson translates Oud Bruin from Netherlands like Old Brown Lager.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into my Chimay chalice.

A: Very dark brown, extremely dark coffee. Basically no head. Too dark to see any carbonation,.
S: Sacchrine toasted malt, coffee grounds.
T: Very sweet to the degree of being unfitting. Very coffee like, but for me it's even sweeter than coffee ice cream. Does not taste like beer. Tastes like weak, cheap coffee with way too much aritificial sweetner. This is not beer. It's like an off brand cola crossed with a weird coffee drink.
M: Mild sting. Kinda like a relatively flat soda.
O: Not a beer.

2.4/5  rDev -14.9%

bought this beer in a dutch supermarket.
Look: pours a dark amber brown color with a large light brown head.
Smell: sweet caramel and burned malts
taste: sweet,very sweet. Like brown sugar was added. Some faint roasted malts and no hops and/or bitterness at all.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation with a thickish body
overall: way to sweet. Less sugar,more hops please

Aroma
Faint but perceptible sweetness, somewhat cola like or possibly caramel

Mouthfeel
Definite creaminess on the palette with a little bitterness, low carbonation

Appearance
Dark mahoghany approaching blackish with no real head or residual lacing (although in hotel without a great glass)

Taste
Somewhat cola like with burnt caramel tones

Drinkability
I guess it's drinkable, but very sweet. It's a bit too much for me, a one and done.

Overall
Compared to other 'oud bruins' I've had this is not exactly good. I don't believe it's in the belgian style, or intended to be. The carbonation helps a bit but there's just too much residual sweetness.

1.3/5  rDev -53.9%

300ml bottle poured in a chalice.

A: Looks like beer. A dark amber to brown color and a medium to big tan bubbled head when poured. Minimal retention. The head completely disappears after some seconds leaving no lacings at all

S: Sweet. Roasted malts

T: Very sweet. Disgusting, really. Some roasted malts but basically a terrible taste of brown sugar. No hops, no bitterness. By the way, this is not a Flanders Oud Bruin

M: Sweet and watery. Very light body and almost zero carbonation. Aftertaste is a disgusting and artificial taste of syrup

O: Absolutely terrible. One of the worst (if not THE worst) "beer" I've ever had. A complete waste of time and money. My advise: Don't try it!

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

Picked up a bottle at Superfood in Aruba. Color was a nice brown, fairly flat appearing. The sweet aroma should have been my first clue that I would not enjoy this. Flavor was a sickening, cloying sweetness that overwhelmed any other tastes. I suppose some hint of malt, but it was like drinking sugar water. Mouthfeel was slightly sickening. I managed to sample half the bottle before giving up and dumping it. I apologize if this is to style, as it is not one I'm used to, but I have to rate it based on how I enjoyed it, and it was terrible.

2.17/5  rDev -23%

Heineken 30 cl bottle. Oud bruin is very common style in the lowlands.
Smell and taste has some malts, but also corn, which is a pitty to me. It's quite sweet, characteristic for the style.
It's smooth, but a bit boring. Aftertaste is just very sugarry.
Very common drink. A disappointing experience. Corn taste is beer is just the worst.

2.95/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brownish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is very faint, but I get a little bit of toffee. The flavor is more pronounced. I get some toffee and some nuttyness from the malt. The beer is fairly sweet. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this tastes like a watered down English Brown Ale.

1.75/5  rDev -37.9%

Got this from a student of mine. He brought "samples" for the class.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a small thinish looking tan head that quickly disappears, leaving a thin film around the edges and no lacing. Colour is a very dark looking cola brown, almost black. Next to zero carbonation evident.

SMELL: Weak nose; not much there really. Some caramel malt and other touches of brown sugar sweetness, but not much worth talking about.

TASTE: Follows the nose with caramel malt and brown sugar. Sweet malt is definitely dominant and no hop presence. Lots of sweetness with a long lasting sweet aftertaste. Too sweet for my palate.

PALATE: Very thin and watery with low carbonation. Reminds me of flat cola. Finishes very neutral and slightly cloying on the palate, but really too thin and watery to be enjoyable.

OVERALL: Not a fan. I don't really know the style very well yet, but I definitely won't be picking this one up again. Too thin, water, and overly sweet. I couldn't finish it. Thanks to my student for brining it in, but I'll have to pass next time.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

I had the opportunity to try this beer when I was on vacation in Aruba.
Pours a solid dark brown with a creamy off white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is malty, brown sugar and molasses. I could find no hop presence in the nose. Taste is sweet caramel malts and burnt sugar. Medium body crisp carbonation thick syrupy mouthfeel. Definitely different! This is a low alcohol, very sweet beverage that frankly I had trouble finishing. Reminds me more of the malt soft drinks I've tried than a beer.
I couldn't rate this properly because there isn't a style for this on BA so I don't know what the guidelines are for the style. It is currently categorized incorrectly as a Flanders Oud Bruin.

2.2/5  rDev -22%

Toffee and apple aroma; very sweet taste with apple and caramel aromas; fruity finish. Quite a pleasant fruity aroma. Very sweet in the mouth with almost no trace of hops. However, all that is perfectly acceptable for this style. Amazingly, it's one of Heineken's better regular beers.

BTW, this is not a Flanders Oud Bruin, but a Dutch Oud Bruin, a completely different style. Dutch Oud Bruin is a dark, sweet, low-alcohol lager. All the Dutch lager brewers produce one. They vary in strength from 2.5% ABV to 3.5% ABV.

3.9/5  rDev +38.3%

While visiting friends in Holland, I picked up a bottle at the grocery store to try. I had already been surprised to see Heineken Lager in the brown "non-export" bottles and was even more surprised to see a brown Heineken beer. Of course, I learned a lot more after visiting the Heineken Brewery later in that trip.

As I poured the beer, I thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know Heineken made soda." A cola brown color and a sweet, caramel like aroma hinted at what my taste buds were about to experience. The head was decent, but did not live up to the "two finger" standard followed by the Dutch. Taste was definitely that of a "malt-cola" flavor of sugary, syrupy sweetness. No distinguishable bitterness or hoppiness. Mouthfeel was average with a slight carbonation tingle. After emptying the glass, the sweetness lingered on the palate and oddly left me wanting another.

As a beer, it's not the best, but I think it fits the style fairly well. I personally liked it and recommend trying it at least once.

2.38/5  rDev -15.6%

it's difficult to remain neutral while reviewing something you don't like .... and this brew is definitely not to my personal liking ...

while pouring I actually had quite some expectations, the color is very dark black, almost opaque, the head was firm and steady ... the smell was not very spectacular, which I explained for myself to be a result of the chill (I poured it at 6 degrees Celsius) ... the taste ... well, best described by "Dry Pepsi Light with a hint of malt" ... says it all I guess ...

again, I am not saying this is a bad beer, I am just stating I don't like it ...

3.88/5  rDev +37.6%

Pretty strange brew I ran across in Amsterdam. It was at an Indonesian restaurant as "dark beer" and the bottle was in Dutch...so I wasn't sure what I was drinking.
Poured a normal dark brown color. I assumed that it was akin to a brown ale or dark lager as a result.
Smell was VERY much caramel...and cola. At this point I feared it might've been some variety of Cola/Beer mix that I'd encountered in Germany.
Flavor was definitely VERY sweet, but not in a bad way. I actually really enjoyed it to be honest. Cola flavors persisted, but it was clearly the brew's natural flavor rather than some kind of bastardized brew for the radler-drinkers.
Mouthfeel was a definite weakpoint. Very thin, and barely any head.
Drinkability was quite high, though. After having one, I wanted more.
Pretty good brew that's nothing like any I've had before or since. Worth a try most definitely.

EDIT: After doing some research, apparently this isn't trying to be a Belgian/Flanders Oud Bruin. It's actually a Dutch style that is a very mild dark lager with minimal hops that is sweetened after the brewing process. I guess it's a traditional style with legitimate roots.
Definitely not for everybody, but worth trying as it's a style you're not going to find outside of Holland.

1.88/5  rDev -33.3%

I tried this on recent trip to Amsterdam. This beer tastes like root beer, I felt like I was sucking on a cube of brown sugar. Beyond the incredible sweet, stickiness, there was virtually no body to this and very little carbonation. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the Old Brown style, but I can't think of a reason why I would want to every try this again.

2.15/5  rDev -23.8%

Ok, please. I feel compelled to outrule this as a beer. In colombia we drink this thing as a soft drink (no kiddin here) and is popular within the ages of 6 and 13.

The pour is dark like unprocessed sugar. Not too thick but with a body.No head. fizzy at the beginning like a soda.

Smell is sugary, very, very malty. And that's what the taste is. Pure malt. no hops, barely any alcohol in itself, no emotions, nothing. Bring me a coke for that matter.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

sweet. I was going to make it a one word review but I wasn't allowed to. This beer is almost overpoweringly sweet and if you aren't prepared for that then you might find it quite suprising. It is also 2.5% so is not very rewarding even if you do manage to get it all down. The prominent "Heineken" logo leads one to expect some form of lagery goodness but I guess variety is the spice of life and Heineken ought to be appluaded for making something out of the mass-produced norm but this one is just too sweet and not hoppy enough for my unrefined tastebuds.

4.53/5  rDev +60.6%

This is a diffent style of beer. I have never had one like it since. Nor have I ever seen it again. I only got the chance to try it in a small town called Brugges in Belgium at a seafood restraunt. Man it was incredible.

Sweet and a little smokey in flavor, kind of woody too though I couldn't place the woodiness. Not for the average but would also be a good starter beer for those that judge a beer by its color. This is a black beer. darker than Guiness from what I recall but not near as heavy. And did I say sweet. This is considered an after dinner or desert beer from what the waiter told me and is also rather low in alchohol content. My wife even liked it and she hates beer.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Dark brown appearance with a healthy head. Sweet, dark grain, prune-like aroma. Sweetness is the predominate flavor with prune/raisin, molasses essence and only hints of bitterness. Mouthfeel is full, semi-slick. Not bad at all, just a bit cloyingly sweet.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Heineken Oud Bruin from Heineken Nederland B.V.