Newcastle Brown Ale - Heineken Nederland B.V.

Newcastle Brown AleNewcastle Brown Ale

to view more.
Ratings: 4,635 | Reviews: 1,566
3.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Drinkable. Nice one to have around the dorm now and again. Refreshing, flavorful, and frequently available. Heard it was better back in the day.

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

04302015
Newcastle Brown Ale
4.7% ABV
1 pint 2.6 oz clear glass bottle with crown $2.50 State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: light brown, root beer color, soda carbonation, little to no head
Smell: all malt with a touch of hops, smells like a lager, a small whiff of ganja
Flavor: very light and mild, sort of watery. No hop bitterness
Overall: 3.75/5 If this is what all beer tasted like, then I'd be a beer drinker for sure.
There is certainly a ton of room to pack in more body and richness...but for summer this is great.

4.35/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Even the Brits get right once in awile - cheers mate!

4.76/5  rDev +43.4%

When drinking Newcastle, you hardly realize that you're drinking actually drinking beer. It's that different and unique. Absolutely love the flavor and definitely one of, if not my favorite beer to drink when i'm just drinking a beer or two.

4.13/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smooth brown ale with good simple flavors

3.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ah. Newcastle. This was one of my Brown Ales and I used to think it was the flagship of the style. Time has not been overly kind to this beer. I've heard and read plenty of things that make me avoid Newcastle, but I decided to give it another go during a recent pub visit. Really, this beer is much like I remember it - fizzy, thin, with a bit of chocolate and malt. There are so many other great Browns out there - this is not one I will be actively seeking out.

One two three four five

Nice English ale but still love my Fullers ESB better

4.12/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great taste and after taste

3.99/5  rDev +20.2%

Nice, tasty, delicious, cool, hipster

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

'Eh it's alright. It's a little watery and I'm sure it was much better before they put it on heavy distro around the globe.

3.93/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Good brown ale. Buen sabor, refrecante

3.12/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

usually what I go for at a restaurant that has no other (better) option available. a toss up between Killians & this when shopping for a beer that my wife & I can drink together.
a decent drinkable ale that's usually cheap on tap or pack

2.02/5  rDev -39.2%

Just ok. Not much there as far as complexity and bland.

3.31/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4/2/15 Draft (Finley Dunnes Chicago) - Nice black pour, minimal carbonation and whit head. Malt aroma and taste, very smooth beer to drink. Roasted malt and chocolate taste but not strong. Overall good beer offering.

3.74/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle, pours a transparent dark mahogany brown. Very smooth and silky. Malt forward for sure, very little hops coming through. It is a brown ale after all. Its good for the style.

3.38/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've come across rumors that this supposedly goes extremely well with chocolate cake. The combination was ok, but nothing special. By itself, though, this is a decent drink that's worth having again.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a Mahogany color with 3/4 inch of light bubbly head. Smell is quite sweet with heavy hints of caramel and the small of roasted malt. Carbonation in moderate and feels quite bubbly on the tongue. Not quite as smooth as id expected.Tastes much like it smells. Roasted malt, caramel, and a slight bitterness of coffee.Lacing is quite nice. Head dissipates rather quickly.Overall its a delightful refreshing dark ale. Not too heavy on the belly.

3.3/5  rDev -0.6%

One of the better mass production beers out there. Rather neutral malty taste but goes down smooth.

This is a dark beer with out the nasty after taste. This beer is one of my favorite kinds of beers,most people will not drink them because they are scared of dark beers, but this dark beer is yummy, plus because most people will not drink it when they see the dark there will be more for you.

4.41/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Love me some New Castle, great beer...solid, and different in flavor. Good stuff!

2.1/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe’s. I don’t mind a brown ale, even a mass produced one. Unfortunately this one has a metallic bubble gum sort of sweet taste that I find nauseating. They could not have possibly planned this so it must be from the brewing process. Oh well!

4.67/5  rDev +40.7%

My favorite beer and the one that really let me know I could actually enjoy beer. I'm very late to the game, starting in my late 30s. I usually drank hard liquor. Eventually I decided to try something (Steel Reserve 211) and it kindled a bit but eventually I found this and grew.

It is sortof like the semisweet chocolate of beer. I can usually find it on sale for about $1 a bottle, and it is tremendously drinkable.

I love almost everything about this beer, the bottles are clear, which is distinctive but the label quality is terrible, they should screen print.

This is not a very bitter dark ale at all, in fact many would say it is too sweet. There is sort of a burnt semi-sweet chocolate/caramel malt thing happening, but to those with the right palate they'll find some bitter.

A great aspect of this beer is that it is even drinkable warm, if you've had it for a while, say while you're working on something else, and it warms up, it adapts to that taste.

It is my Budweiser.

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Great brown ale. Drink ice cold!

4.7/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On Draught poured into a Geordie Schooner at my local village British pub. Has a dark-brown body, and a slightly caramel-colored head. Smell is a roasted "burnt" (I tend to like the burnt, smokey aroma in all mt alcoholic drinks) with a sweet malt aroma and it tastes how it smells with very little hoppiness. A perfect feel with a medium body, not too heavy or light. Overall, this is my go-to beer at most eateries and pubs if they have it, very drinkable, and I'll sometimes do a "BlackCastle" when transitioning to a stout. I used to put the bottles in my bilge when sailing long distances as it can be drunk at a higher temp than American ales (seawater is close to 55-60F and my cast-iron keel moderates the bilge temp).

to view more.
Newcastle Brown Ale from Heineken Nederland B.V.