Highland Gaelic Ale - Highland Brewing

Highland Gaelic AleHighland Gaelic Ale

Highland Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-11-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Highland Gaelic Ale Alström Bros

I've moved to North Carolina a little over a year ago from Rhode Island and have been introduced to MANY great beers in and around the state. There are many different types that I like for many different reasons. While I am out on a mission trying the many craft beers in the state I keep finding myself coming back to this one. It is also a favorite of my wife as well and is kind of our go-to beer. It never fails in its consistency of great color,smooth malt taste and clean finish. This beer hits on all the marks for me.

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

4.8/5  rDev +26%

From my perspective, this is a nice combination of malt sweetness and hop balance that makes for a very refreshing brew. It pours a nice amber color with malt and hop overtones dominating the nose. My first thought was Pale Ale but after further review, it was definately an amber ale at heart. I like it. The nice smooth hop finish and sweet malts give you something to come back to.

4.76/5  rDev +24.9%

My favorite beer. The perfect balance of easy-drinking and complexity.

Appearance: A beautiful red. One of the reddest beers I've ever seen. Pretty much transparent. The head isn't particular thick, but it lasts.

Smell: Mild, slightly boozy. Can detect the slight hoppiness present in the beer, as well as a strong malty scent.

Taste: My favorite tasting beer. Hoppy, but not overly so. A strong caramel, malty backbone that counteracts the moderate hops well. Has some of the strong flavors of a porter or a stout, but with the obvious taste and mouthfeel of a thinner ale.

Mouthfeel: If I have one complaint about this brew, I'd say it might be carbonated a little heavily. It is rather thin, but I prefer a thinner mouthfeel so that's fine with me.

Overall: I love this beer. Such a complex flavor profile, but nothing is overpowering. Really a must try.

Highland Gaelic Ale from Highland Brewing