Highland Oatmeal Porter - Highland Brewing

Highland Oatmeal PorterHighland Oatmeal Porter

Highland Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Highland Oatmeal Porter Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

2.33/5  rDev -39.8%

Mom & Dad got me this on their last trip to the USA. Thanks guys!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A very light pour makes a one finger, medium looking, very light tan head with decent retention, fading down to a light wisp. Black body and no carbonation evident. A decent wisp and ring remain leaving some good lacing down the glass. Fine, but quite a light and thin a pour for the style.

SMELL: Caramel and oats. Very faint hints of dark malts as well. Some earthy hops perhaps, but this is just too faint.

TASTE: Very little flavor as well. Some dark malts and licorice in there, as well as some oats through the middle. Sweet dark malts on the finish with a mild and lingering aftertaste. Not much going on, and very little hop presence here.

PALTE: Here’s the best part of the beer. Medium body and medium carbonation. Very light on the palate, but also very creamy smooth as well. Goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Quite light for sure, but very nice and creamy smooth the whole way.

OVERALL: There was no bottle date on this one, so I’m not sure what to think. In any case, the beer I have in my hand is nothing worth remembering. It’s not off-putting or anything, there just isn’t anything to remember. Too mild in flavor and aroma. This would need some serious beefing up to bring it on par with some of the top example of the style. Avoid this one I’d say.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

On tap at The Distillery.

Poured a nice dark/near black color with a little head.

Smell was pretty par for the course. Little bit of a coffee and oatmeal.

I didn't find the taste to be as big as I was expecting. Really light and coffee-ish. The lingering aftertaste was definitely the highlight, though. I liked that more than the actual drink. :x

Light and easy in the mouth.

Easily drinkable for me because it was easy to go down without such a big taste. Although because of this, I'm not too quick to pick it back up. I like a bolder flavor in my dark beers.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What a disappointment this stuff was. It poured very nicely. Almost black. The smell, however, wasn't vey impressive. Much too hoppy for the style, I felt. The taste, too, was too hoppy. Bitter even. I was not impressed with this beer. The mouthfeel was the right weight for the style, but that is about where the pleasantries for this one ended. Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe this stuff just isn't for me. Either way, I didn't care for it.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.53/5  rDev -34.6%

12 oz bottle. 32 IBUs, 5.8% abv.

Dark pour..light tan head rests for a bit and leaves ok patches of lacing. Aroma very light..some roasty malts and a pinch of hops, but very very faint. Roasted chocolate malt flavor..some burnt/smoky character settling into the relatively thin body. I wasn't too taken aback by this one..there are much better widely available porters out there.

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance- I first noticed there was not a lot of head on this beer for a porter. It is pretty dark even for a porter. I know that sometimes there is a thin line between this style and a stout and I believe that they crossed it.

Smell- There is not much of a smell at all. Mainly of roasted malt but that is faint.

Taste- The flavor is somewhat chocolate and toffee flavored but not as rosted as one might think.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and very smooth.

Drinkability- It was alright for a change but not a beer I would consider too much if there were other options.

2.76/5  rDev -28.7%

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Highland Oatmeal Porter is okay. It's not bad, but it is not a beer I'd seek out again. I'm not sure why it's rated as highly as it is by the Bros, probably because they reviewed this beer ten years ago and the recipe and/or our expectations have changed since then.

I poured this beer into a Yard's tulip, fairly roughly, but managed only to stir up a couple centimeters of sand colored foam that quickly faded to just an irregular ring of tight foam. The beer is a clear dark brown with mahogany highlights on the edges. The beer smells smoothly roasty with notes of sweet malty grain. The beer tastes surprisingly watery for an American Porter with just a little bit of roast character, little body and not much caramel. It's a weird beer and definitely not what I expect from an oatmeal porter.

It's too light in color, too thin, not chocolately enough, undercarbonated, too dry. It just doesn't taste as full in flavor or body as I would have wanted. Not bad, but undeserving of this aggregate score.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A very dark brown beer with rich mahogony highlights. Has a small creamy light brown head. There is a rich malty aroma with a light chocolate note a bit of coffee in the background. The flavor starts with a good promising roasted malt character. This robust goodness is short lived however. The finish is a nasty metallic aftertaste that sticks to your teeth and gums. Removing any joy you were getting from this brew.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

A: 1/3" cream head that laces out a bit. Translucent red amber tinted black-brown in color.

S: smells like a very mild porter that you would expect to be lighter in color than it is. Some smoke and coffee hints

T: Crisp mild coffee like flavors beckon through a light porter body with a dry stout like roast finish. I don't get any oatmeal unfortunately. Basically no sweetness either.

M: Thin, on point for carbonation, slightly too dry.

O: Everything could work together a lot better. This would be better if it were bigger beer.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle. No date.

Aroma: Not much aroma. Slight hops. Detected a slight odd aroma component but couldn't identify it; maybe it had a caramel character.

Appearance: Poured with a very nice brown sugar-colored head. The one-finger head dissipated rather quickly. The brew itself was a deep brown -- virtually opaque.

Taste: Detected some malty sweetness. Medium hops.  The taste profile had some depth but overall not too interesting.

Mouthfeel: The beer felt a bit thin in the mouth. It had a medium level of carbonation.

Overall: This beer was "advertised" as very malty with hints of chocolate which I would have liked, but they were a bit too subtle for me in this beer. I wouldn't turn this beer down, but neither would I search it out again.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

This Higland has a very dark brown appearance. It had a small tan head, with very little retention.

The smell was very strong, but nothing much else is noticeable but the alcohol.

The taste was strong and sweet.

Its mouthfeel was suprisingly light, but it does pack a big punch. It is also highly carbonated.

Highland Oatmeal Porter was a decent beer. I would recommend giving it a try.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

A-Blackish brown. Not alot of head on the pour but a swirl of the glass unleashes a good amount of tight white bubbles.

S-Milk chocolate, that metallic atom that I'm finding alot of beers having. Not alot going on but it's pretty nice.

T-a little milk chocolate and a mild amount of roast and bitterness on the finish. Maybe that burnt coffee flavor?

M-Feels medium bodied but watery at the same time. Seems flat.

D-Ok. Easy drinking mild beer.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Aroma was pretty low intesnity though I didn’t give it very long to warm I’d stille xpect more aroma than this. Faintly roasty with a bit of green tobacco. Deep black with a quickly fading mocha head. Fore is roasted malts and coffee..no real chocolate notes though I get hints of darker fruits. Palate is a bit thin and it rolls into the flavor which makes the finish slightly watery. Highland might be the one brewery that has beers I really like a lot that aren’t porters or stouts. I thinkt he Tasgall is very nice, but the Porter and Stout, to me, were lacking.

Highland Oatmeal Porter from Highland Brewing