Highland Kashmir IPA - Highland Brewing

North Carolina, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-20-2003

2.24/5  rDev -36.9%

This beer could best be compared to a poor version of Sierra Nevada. Nothing new or exciting here. A truly prosaic and mediocre beer. After a few sips I poured this one out.There are too many decent beers out there so I recommend that you skip this one. (253 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

Received as a bonus via trade.

Looks and pours nice. Aroma is a bit off-putting; water-soaked wheat bread, biscuit, malt....any hops in here?

Tastes pretty flat with a funky malty taste. If I were blindfolded and tasted this, I wouldn't think it was an IPA.

Not impressed. Considered a drain pour but man-ed up and finished it off. (334 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -35.2%

@ flying saucer in Nashville. I asked the waitress to make sure I hadn't been served the wrong beer by mistake. Is this really an IPA? Where are the hops? Maybe I'm spoiled by living on the West Coast, but this just doesn't qualify as an IPA at all. It would be a decent Pale Ale. Maybe they need to change their recipe or rename this, but it's not an IPA. (356 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -34.1%

Bottle from emacgee, I believe. Thanks!
Pours a semi hazy bright, light orange with a diminishing head. Smell is bland and light citrusy malt with no real hop presence to speak of. Taste is thin with a watery hop flavor and some orange citrusy characteristics. Nice moderate bitterness and more hop flavor in the taste than in the smell at least. Still something kind of dusty, musty and odd about this, as if it has an almost mold flavor. Drinkable. (450 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Very light-colored for an IPA--more like a pale ale or pilsner. Got about a finger of white head which quickly dissipated into a thin film with some lacing

S: Some bready sweetness in the nose with very little hops

T: Some light malty sweetness up front with the hops kicking in to provide some bitter bite at the end. Very light, though.

M: Light-bodied with a bit of carbonation bite at the end.

D: It's light enough without much bitterness so it is fairly drinkable. However, there just isn't much hop flavor there. I've had pale ales that were much hoppier than this beer. (618 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -32.7%

Grabbed a bottle at Old Chicago in Wake Forest, NC.

This one poured a hazy pale copper, with little head and hardly any lacing.

The aroma on this one was surprising. There was nowhere near the level of hops you'd expect, and it contained a strange vegetal/grainy odor, lending an odd sweet smell to the entire thing. Hard to place what exactly I was smelling, but it seemed out of place.

The taste was as disappointing as the aroma. Right up front, the flavor seems to be dominated by a sickly sweet, grainy, six-row barley chewiness, very much like a macro lager. There aren't any hops in the fore here. For that matter, they don't appear mid or late, either. The hops, what there are of them, are very subdued. The perceived bitterness level here would seem to barely qualify this one for pale ale status, let alone an American IPA. The sweet, macro lager flavor persists throughout the drink, ending in an almost cloying aftertaste. Certainly not at all what one expects from an IPA.

The mouthfeel was rather thin, adding that much more to the macro lager feel of this brew.

Overall, a major disappointment. One doesn't expect super sweet, grainy flavors to dominate in an IPA, but that's exactly what you have here. Highland makes some decent beers. In my opinion, this isn't one of them. Skip this one and try something else in their lineup. (1,351 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -31.5%

Yet another gift from Ryan.

A- clear gold with a sticky white head. Not much retention but ok lacing.

S- fairly well balanced smelling. toasty malts match strength with pine hops.

T-.not impressed. Not nice and freshly hopped tasting. Bitter finish and toasty up front.

M- Overly carbonated. (297 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Pours a clear golden with a moderate frothy head. Very good lacing.

S: Light cascade smell with a malty backbone.

T: Nearly no flavor at all - just some hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering bitterness on the palate.

D: Drinkable, but dull and boring. Plenty of better IPA's on the market. (341 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -31%

I got a bottle of Highland's Kashmir IPA that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have had their Oatmeal Porter before and I thought it was good so I am interested to see what this brewery can do with an IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and is pretty much the same as their Oatmeal Porter, it just has a pink plaid background instead. It poured a pretty clear pale golden color that took on a brighter orange/gold color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little lacing. This was an ok looking beer, but I thought the color was pretty pale for the style and it was much clearer then most American IPA's.

S- The aroma is not too intense with this beer, it starts out with a good amount of medium sweet malts that impart a sweet grain aroma and slight bready aroma. After that comes the hops which are mainly citrus, with grapefruit and pineapple sticking out the most with a little bit a grassy hops towards the end. It's ok, but it smells a little muted, I would like a little more going on with the aroma.

T- The taste doesn't really follow the nose well. It starts out with some pale malts have a lower amount of sweetness and impart a dry and thin grainy taste that is pretty thin tasting and doesn't make for a great base for this beer. Next up is some hops which seems much more floral then citrusy, but overall the hops are still pretty light and impart some slightly grassy and floral hop flavors, the hops are pretty weak and I wish that those nice citrus hops that I picked up in the aroma made their way to the taste. It had a lower amount of medium bitterness with a stale grain aftertaste. I was pretty disappointed with the taste of this beer, it was thin, bland, and pretty boring, not what I want from a good American IPA.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly dry, on the light side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad and may be the most true to style thing about this beer.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought that it was a below average IPA, it just didn't have any of those great hoppy aspects that I look for in an American IPA, and the malt base wasn't that good either. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and went down faster then I expected but not because it was good, but because I wanted to be done with it, the flavors were really bland and could not hold my attention. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the only part of this beer that was true to style. What I liked least about this beer was pretty much everything else with the taste sticking out as being the worse, it was just way too bland and unappealing for my tastes. I would buy a single of this again if I knew it was fresh but other then that I am not really motivated to revisit this beer anytime soon and I can't say that I would recommend this beer to anyone. Their Oatmeal Porter turned out to be good but this beer was not and was pretty much a let down, I am kind of on the fence with this brewery but I got a few more of their beers to try before I come up with a solid opinion on this brewery. A pretty unimpressive American IPA, I hope their other beers are much beer since this one wasn't good. (3,417 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My 100th IPA rate...maybe I should have chosen better for this. Pours a slightly hazy yellow with little to no head. Aroma of sweet malt, honey, and no hops at all. Flavor is a muddled mess of honey and dusty stale hops, I guess. Sweet malt all the way through with an unpleasant aftertaste. Light and a bit watery. What a disappointing IPA. (341 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This brew has a zesty hop smell with slight malt undertones. Pours to a golden yellow with a big highly structured head that holds and leaves lacing as it recedes. Taste is sweet and slightly bitter without much fanfare. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, despite the great head, this brew needs some more carbonation. Hops are way too subdued for a IPA. The bitterness is there but dull without aroma. This brew is in dire need of late stage or dry hopping. Nothing like I expected. (479 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from the glass with nice white head,aroma was a bit on the weak side.Got alot of hop at first,good bitterness,but lacking in any lingering hop flavor.Overall this beer was a little thin in malt character as well as hop character.Good for the golf course or watching the game,not so good to sit and savor. (311 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

Bottle into shaker pint.

Pours a vibrant clear gold, rather pale for an ipa, with almost no head, retention, or lacing.

Nose carries some light caramel and just enough grapefruit to pass as an ipa.

Taste is a bit on the bitter side. Seems to be the formula for "lesser" ipas - bitter up a pale ale and you're good to go. A bit on the harsh, astringent side, with light caramel underneath giving way to a brisk, moderately bitter hop bite a bit of grapefruit. The relative lack of hop flavor compared to bitterness makes it seem more bitter than it really is. Really isn't that bitter considering, but definitely favors the earlier hop additions over the later ones.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the sticky, heavy side, certainly full bodied with a carbonation that's a bit sluggish.

Overall, not what I would call a noteworthy ipa. There are several I would take over this one as daily drinkers. (897 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

A great example where the first taste to last taste have exactly the opposite effect. At first I said, wow, this tastes great, what kind of style is this malty brew? After a few more sips and relaization this is an IPA, things really changed. Chewy mouthfeel with no real hoppiness for the style. Okay appearance of a thick head and nice carbonation. One of my least favorite IPAs. (381 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to Rusel_G for the bottle.

Appearance: Perfectly clear gold. Lively carbonation pulls throughout. Small bright-whit head drops almost instantly. Leaves small clumps of a cap with a tiny collar. Nice rings of lacing.

Smell: Light, pale malts. A bit sweet with a distinct cracker and grassy finish. Some floral elements along with a small hint of citrus. A bit earthy. Biscuit dough, very uncooked. A bit of toasted grain as well. Smells closer to a hoppy blonde than a traditional IPA.

Taste: Floral with a light hint of grapefruit rind. A slight oily pine. Mostly earthy and floral, really floral. Hints of cracker and uncooked biscuit dough. Warming brings out a bit of lingering bitterness along with a slightly sweet pale maltiness. Lots of clean malts coupled with a dirty hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Light with some push toward medium body, but it's not there. A bit dry on the finish, but relatively clean. Slightly above average carbonation.

Overall: I am whatever style I want to be!

A unique spin on an IPA. Not quite in the "session" IPA territory and not quite a "true" IPA, and therefore confusing. Closer to a blonde, but still a nice beer. (1,163 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%

Hazy gold with a thin head that lacked motivation or direction. Aromas of faintest citrus oils. The flavor was the shocker - I just couldn't taste that much. There was some hop bitterness, and even the moaning ghost of citrus herbal hop character, but it tasted locked away and submerged beneath the bubbles. A little toasty malt rounds it out, but I'm missing the IPA part here, unless this one has already been on a sailing vessel all the way to India and back to North Carolina (where your not-so-humble hoss sits sipping this). I even smelled my clean shirt I put on a few hours ago after a shower, and it has more going than this beer. Medium body, bitter finish. I can drink this fine, but I wouldn't pay for it. If it was your homebrew, I would gladly have one whenever I came over. I'll try one more in a couple days and get back to you. (845 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - It looks like a pilsner, not an IPA. Very light. Golden even. Nice lace on the side of the glass though.

S - Not very hoppy. Again, this is an IPA?

T - So I do at least taste the hops. Bitter.

M - Crisp and high carbonation.

D - Low. This is not a very good IPA. Was hoping for more. (291 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%

Alright, let me begin by saying, I believe that this has been lightstruck or been otherwise made defective. I didn't smell or taste bad. However, it really had no smell and very, very little flavour. It poured a medium yellow with a big beautiful fluffy snow white cap that stayed for ages. It looked wonderful. However, there was no smell. Nothing, like smelling a glass of water. The taste, too was almost non-existant. Just a tiny bit of bitterness at the end. As I looked at it, there were 1000's of tiny particles suspended and floating about in the beer. I thought at first they must be bubbles, but upon further inspection, they were clearly matter of some sort. I'll let tonight's review of this stand, but I would like to review this again in the future with a fresher example. Everything else was fantastic, especially the appearance. (844 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a darker gold with a decent white head on top. About a finger width in size. Retains fairly well, and leaves some spotty lacing. Nothing spectacular, but still pretty. From here on though, it's downhill.

Smells of biscuits, malt, butter, and bread. Nothing that is characteristic of an American IPA. Mouthfeel is decent. Nice and crisp with a nice little pop on the tongue from the carbonation.

Flavor is of toasted biscuits, weird off-meat flavor, and some hints of sour lemon on the end. This tastes more like an APA in my mind. Nothing tells me this is an IPA. I'm gonna move on from this one, and avoid in the future. (630 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

Enjoyed from a 12oz bottle into a glass mug. Nice light amber color with a small head.

Well, if you're after a real piney citrus bomb this is it. 'Kashmir' evokes a kind of exotic twist on the style of the beer and they went for it. Unfortunately, to me it felt like the brewer's emphasis on the aggressive pine flavors threw the beer off balance and made it a bit of a chore to drink. It wasn't a terrible experience but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this beer again. Highland brews some good beers but this isn't a high point in their catalog. (551 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz poured into shaker, from quick notes.

A - pours a slightly dark yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. Mainly white, 1" head, minor lacing

S - I did pick up the bitterness, mostly citric (orange and lemon) but it wasn't very pungent. Meek aroma.

T - Didn't step up and punch me with bitterness. Sorta just walked out of the gate after it opened. Mainly lemon and grass bitterness with some minor caramel malt mixed in the back. I did pick up some pepper as well.

M - Light to thin, not 'juicy', or even dry, as you might expect from an IPA.

O - I think I'll pass on this one again if offered, however, I've heard good things about some of their other beers that I am looking forward to trying. (698 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Pale orange-yellow, head was unimpressive, only bits of lacing.

S - The only high point of this beer. My nose really enjoyed a sweet floral nectar.

T - Disappointing, the flavours I was smelling didn't come through on the taste, very bitter.

M - The beer didn't feel balanced and quite metallic aftertaste.

D - I didn't quite finish this one, just not appetizing. (374 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Color is a clear gold, with very little white head. The scent is some citrus and pine; nice but rather weak. Taste is mostly pine to grass up front, with maybe a bit of grapefruit. A surprising amount of malt flavor comes through in the finish, considering this is an IPA. Probably too malty for the style - this seems almost pilsener-like to me. A slight alcohol taste is noticeable in the aftertaste. Pretty average overall; not an IPA I'd go for again. (455 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

I had this beer on my recent trip to Sylva, NC. I poured it from a large bottle (22 oz.?) into a pint glass.

Appearance – A light golden body with little head that quickly fades and has little lacing.

Smell – The nose is a strong citrus/floral and hops.

Taste – A very bitter beer that, in my opinion, gets better as it warms. The aftertaste loses some of its hoppiness. It’s well balanced and smooth for an IPA.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation

Drinkability – I’m not the biggest fan of IPAs but I found this one to be good. It is my least favorite of all the Highlands beers (which I dearly love) but that is due to style and not quality. (660 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

IPA night continues with this beer that was acquired via trade from NClifestyle, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint and contains mostly hops, as expected, with mild notes of citrus and caramel.

T: The flavor of hops comes out first and dominates the taste but it’s very pale and dry. Sweet flavors of caramel and citrus follow up, but they seem to battle with the hops instead of being complimentary. The malt character seems very weak.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very dry.

D: This isn’t a very flavorful beer, nor does it go down too easy. It’s not very filling, which is about the only compliment I can give to it. I’m quite surprised, since I liked Highland’s Gaelic Ale so much, that didn’t like this beer at all. (1,011 characters)

Highland Kashmir IPA from Highland Brewing