Highland Kashmir IPA - Highland Brewing

North Carolina, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-20-2003

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%

Alright, let me begin by saying, I believe that this has been lightstruck or been otherwise made defective. I didn't smell or taste bad. However, it really had no smell and very, very little flavour. It poured a medium yellow with a big beautiful fluffy snow white cap that stayed for ages. It looked wonderful. However, there was no smell. Nothing, like smelling a glass of water. The taste, too was almost non-existant. Just a tiny bit of bitterness at the end. As I looked at it, there were 1000's of tiny particles suspended and floating about in the beer. I thought at first they must be bubbles, but upon further inspection, they were clearly matter of some sort. I'll let tonight's review of this stand, but I would like to review this again in the future with a fresher example. Everything else was fantastic, especially the appearance. (844 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a very cloudy pumpkin color into a pint glass. Not a great head, but did leave some residual lacing on the glass.

Aromas grapefruit, cut grass. Nice aroma, but not as strong as other IPAs I've had.

Taste was mildy bitter, with a strong malt component. Not as bitter as other IPAs I've had. Decent flavored beer, would make a good beer to give to non BA'ers as an introduction to the style.

Mouthfeel was fine. Slight bitter aftertaste that lingers just slightly. Mild carbonation.

Overall very drinkable. While not the best I've had in this style, certainly a worthy beer and worth trying. (608 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured this 12 oz. into a pint glass. Opaque, cloudy creamed-corn color. Soapy head. Sporadic bead.

Smelled of mild grains and faintly of hay. A little "tea-like". Smell blossomed as it warmed.

Mildly bitter. Nice understated linger. Not complex. A tame IPA.

Medium bodied with a mild hoppy tingly texture. (315 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Highland Kashmir IPA, I was a bit disappointed with. Overall it is not what I look for in an IPA.

A: Poured a slioghtly hazy, golden color. Bubbly white head that dissapated quickly with no lacing.

S: Malty and notes of honey and cirtus. I look for a stronger presence of hops.

T: Similar to smell. Overall taste is doniated by malt and is not balanced enough with bitterness. Also had metallic after-taste that was not enjoyable.

M&D: Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Not very drinkable for me.

Overall, not a great example of the IPA style. I might try this again just to give it a second chance, but it did not impress me on the first go around. (657 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz brown bottle, with no date information other than '5227 B-10125 inkjetted on the bottom of the bottle.

Cloudy bronze toped with a short dense head of fine off-white bubbles that slowly settles leaving no lacing. There is a steady, pulsating wall of carbonation. Fruity, Sweet Tart nose with orange blossom and rind coming through. Starts with a modest hop bite, orange rind with perhaps a bit of sugar that builds. Solid malt body throughout, but the finish is short and to the point and filled with more of those rind notes that do not linger. There is perhaps a touch of pine and grapefruit, but the hop profile is not overly aggressive, and seems to be missing its snap. Medium body, with minimal carbonation that is extremely fine, soft and smooth, and just a touch on the thin side. The label reads “A bold beer best consumed with a stiff upper lip”. Your lip doesn’t have to be too stiff, as this one lacked significant punch. (943 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle. No freshness date indicated. Poured a very pale golden color. Slightly chill hazed with a nice, dense, one finger sized head. Decent lacing as well.

Aroma seems muted for an ipa. Definitely some hops in the aroma; orange peel and lemon peel stand out. There is also a strange sort of steamed cabbage smell as well. I have noticed this aroma in other IPA so it may be part of the characteristics of the beer.

Hops greet the taste buds up front followed by more hops. Citrusy hops are the main component here. Stays in balance pretty well but still seems to be a bit light overall for an IPA.

A nice beer from Highland. I generally enjoy their beers. In my opinion, the Gaelic Ale has more of an IPA feel to it than this Kashmir. Both are quite enjoyable so I'll let you decide. (813 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a medium orange color with half a finger of head that dies off quickly. There is minimal lacing on the glass. The smell is fruity, with a good amount of citrusy hops. Lots of pineapple in there, with orange, and even some floral notes. The taste has lots of hop bitterness going on. It's juicy hop flavor at first, but gets a little bit on the harsh bitterness side on the finish. I seem to be detecting a bit of diacetyl in there as well. The mouthfeel is decently thick and heavy. The drinkability is just ok, due to the harshness and diacetyl. It's ok. (600 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle, 6 oz pour. Beer is a light orange color with a light head that sits as a floating island over the brew. Clarity is moderate and only a small stream of bubbles is apparent. Nose is moderately caramel, lightly bready, and a little earthy. No real bright citrusy hop is hitting me, which I would like to find in my IPA. Flavor is representative of the nose. Caramel, earthy hoppy flavors, light breadyness. It finishes with a mild citrusy hop flavor and a moderate peppery bitterness that hangs on nicely after swallowing the brew. Not bad. Feel is moderate with a moderte carbonation that breaks things up nicely, keeping it from being too heavy. Overall, this brew is not giving me what I want from my IPA's, but its not bad. I'd like to see what this one is like fresh and on draft. I have a feeling that there is more brilliance to be found in this one. I'd like to have it again. (895 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a nice golden color with a bout a fingers worth of off-white head. Leaves decent lacing. The aroma is spicy. Orange and cedar hop scent. Flavor is surprising. Malt comes through more than expected. Spicy bite from the hops with a bitter finish. Enjoying the sweet malt and zesty citrus combo. Mouthfeel is very good...medium body that's a tad slick from the hop oils and good carbonation. I could see my self having a few of these on a lazy afternoon. (457 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a light copper with a 1/4" head... moderately rocky and cream-colored.

Nice citrus hop aroma, although certainly not very complex.

Boring flavour! No hops... should not even be considered an IPA in my opinion.... flavoured more like a weak-ish APA. Very yeasty and musky tasting. Some citrus, but all in all I am underwhelmed.

Nice thickness, but not nearly as crisp as I would like.

Light and drinkable, but I did not find this one enjoyable. There are too many other IPA's out there for a similar price for me to be sampling this one again anytime soon. I was disappointed, because I have thoroughly enjoyed every other Highland brew I've sampled. Back to the drawing board on this one boys. (711 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -14.9%

Peach.

Gentle, wimpy aroma with scents of peach, earth, musk, mint, herbs and caramel.

An India Pale Ale for senior citizen bingo night. Seriously, this is one weak ass IPA. The flavor consists of an earthy, herbal and grassy hop profile with a slight note of citrus and a boring, bready, grainy malt backbone. Thin Mouthfeel. Forgettable. (346 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

I had this beer on my recent trip to Sylva, NC. I poured it from a large bottle (22 oz.?) into a pint glass.

Appearance – A light golden body with little head that quickly fades and has little lacing.

Smell – The nose is a strong citrus/floral and hops.

Taste – A very bitter beer that, in my opinion, gets better as it warms. The aftertaste loses some of its hoppiness. It’s well balanced and smooth for an IPA.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation

Drinkability – I’m not the biggest fan of IPAs but I found this one to be good. It is my least favorite of all the Highlands beers (which I dearly love) but that is due to style and not quality. (660 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle. Pours a golden yellow with a billowy white head. Has a wheaty nose and not much florality. Interesting mix of fruit and hops on the palate. A very light IPA with an interesting taste. Not a hopheads dream, but enjoyable (I think?). Thanks Derrick for the bottle. (270 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +22%

Clear golden color with a large sticky white head. Awsome head retention. The aroma is sweet and hoppy. I can definately detect the spicy English hops and at the same time the Mt. Hood's pull through with their pine aroma. The flavor is about the same. A well balanced hoppy brew. The hops are a tasty mix of English raw leafiness and Mt. Hood sharpness. A sweet malt and light toasted grain balance out the hops. The drinkability is dangerous. Pint after pint can be consumed if you don't have anything to do the next day. I think my taste have matured since the last time I tried this beer. I love it! (603 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +24.8%

Alright, if I haven't said it before, Highland is a real gem of a regional brewery. I've yet to have anything from Highland that didn't impress me - this beer is no exception.

The pour is a deep yellow with a pure white head. The head is a bit on the thin side - maybe a quarter inch but it lasts through much of the drink. The beer starts cloudy and I thought it was an unfiltered IPA but after a few minutes it settles and becomes crystal clear. A very attractive glass of beer, if it had more head I wouldn't rated it a "5"

The smell is nothing but hops - spicy green herbal hops. Words like 'zesty' come to mind when you stick your nose in this beer.

The flavor is very good and just short of excellent. It's also rather surprising because I was expecting an American IPA and this is -not- by any stretch of the imagination a "by the book" American IPA. There's a clear sweet malt flavor underneath with hints of golden grain and honey but the hops are by far the belle of the ball here. The hops are pure Europe all the way with Goldings and Fuggles in massive quantities. The hops flavor actually borders on Saaz or Tettnanger - noble hops and close cousins to Goldings and Fuggles. If you'd handed me this beer and told me it was a "super Pilsner" I would have been utterly convinced.

Excellent hop presentation - very bright, clean bold hop flavors without bitterness. The sweet malt is just perfect in counterbalancing the strong hops notes.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a light to medium bodied brew with almost enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. Good balance between residual hop bitterness (mild) and residual sweetness (light)

Very, very drinkable and highly recommended to anyone who can get their hands on this. As much as I was recently disappointed by the "Über Pils" from Clipper City (another excellent regional brewer) if it had tasted like this I would have been overjoyed. This is not your typical pine-n-citrus American IPA but it is an excellent showcase for bold hop flavoring. Also *again* proof that a big, flavorful beer doesn't have to be high in alchohol; this one's only 5.6% but you'd never know it from the taste. (2,186 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer poured differently than i expected. It was a very light yellow color, only slightly darker than a macro brew beer. The head was very thin white color, and had a slight lacing around the glass. It had a mild hopy smell, much less strong than my normal perception of an IPA. It was mild for an IPA overall, and lad a nice hopy finishes with a bitter after taste. I am not normally a huge fan of an IPA, but this reminded me of a pale ale more than an IPA, and that is probably why I enjoyed this so much....It really makes me want to try their pale. If you are not a huge fan of IPA's this might be the first step to enjoying them....if you like sierra nevada, or highly hoped pale ales give this a try. (711 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

Lists Asheville, NC (great town!) on the label, but I noticed it's manufactured in Maryland. Whatever state wants to claim it, I'm right in the middle (Virginia) and not totally impressed.

Just a shade darker than a typical golden-yellow pils. Nice frothy head.

Mellow hops come to the nose first, with mellower malts next, and a scary corn essence that reminds too much of bad US macros.

Taste: One of the most unremarkable IPAs I've ever had. Not bad, but not outstanding. Light and crisp, it goes down easily and inoffensively, but the bottle's claim that this is "a bold beer best consumed with a stiff upper lip" comes close to false advertising.

Decent mouthfeel, a little tingly.

Easy to drink, easy to like, hard to love. It's got no real selling points against many other, better IPAs. I much prefer Highland's Gaelic Ale over this. (856 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Lightly dusty, sparkling lemon-amber, heavy on the lemon. The alabaster cap is thick and rich and creamy, oh my! It isn't a glass coater of the highest order, but it doesn't fall too far short. This is a very nice looking member of the lighter (looking) IPA school.

The nose is equal parts Union Jack and Stars and Stripes. That isn't surprising at all since it features such hop standbys as Styrian Goldings, Fuggles and Magnum, among others. Pale malt proudly asserts itself, and then graciously steps aside to allow the hops their time in the sun. Even if they aren't sunshine bright, grapefruit and peach esters make an impact.

Kashmir is a quality IPA. The flavor follows the course so competently laid down by the nose. Cookie dough-like malt is a firm presence without making a nuisance of itself. I'm beginning to think that caramel malt has no place in an IPA; at least not the ones I like. Thanfully, there's no hint of caramel here.

I always want more hoppiness, but the amount that has been provided in Kashmir is generous (even if it's unlikely to make a shredded wreck of my tongue). Sweetness and bitterness walk side by side throughout, with bitterness nosing ahead on the longish finish. Lemon joins grapefruit and the flavor profile expands to include tart apples and buttery pears. Good choices on the hop bill, I'd say.

The mouthfeel is a minor blip more full than medium and is as smooth and as lightly plush as a much bigger IPA. The words 'rounded' and 'polished' come to mind. Quality breweries provide quality mouthfeels, it's as simple as that. I like the fact that (if I had them) I could drink a handful of these in a single sitting without getting palate fatigue.

I was surprised to learn that, until the drinkability score of this beer, I had given nothing but 4.0s to the three Highland Brewing Company beers that I've been fortunate enough to drink. The accolades have been well deserved. Kashmir IPA is a keeper. Thanks to WOLFGANG for sending it my way. (1,992 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a fairly good beer from Highland. It poured out into a Highland pint glass with a minimal head. It is a amber color with a large amount of floaters. It has a hoppy bitter smell. It tastes like it smells, hoppy and bitter. It has somewhat of a bite but not enough to distract from the overall impression too much. The mouthfeel is slightly affected but overall a decent brew. I could drink these again. (409 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -7%

A: Golden amber with some orange hues. Nice foamy 2 finger head that recedes to a sudsy 1/2" head. I am impressed with the head on this baby.
S: Nice mix of hop bitterness and malty sweetness. Maybe a hint of citrus fruit.
T: The hops don't attack you like some IPA's. They more compliment the sweetness. It still has a strong hop character though. This brew is especially sweet on the finish for an IPA. The brew is a good one but a little too balanced for the style.
M: A little heavy on the carbonation and a little light on the hops. Still it doesn't feel bad.
D: Drinkable, but it made me feel full like a stout.
If your not crazy about hoppy beers this would be great IPA for you. If you are a hophead there is better options out there. (747 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a couple at a Brixx while in Charlotte, NC. Pours a light golden hue with a frothy ivory 1/2" head cap. Light scents balanced between some malt and citrus.

Flavors middle around a well balanced light caramel and orange citrus.

Feel is medium body with a tight crisp carbonation. A tiny bit tacky in the lingering finish.

Last swigs: Well balanced orange and lolipop malts. Well built enjoyable IPA. Not a balls-out no holds barred IPA. Went well with pizza. (475 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" white head above the dark straw brew. Head is foamy and lasting, with average to good lacing. Aroma is lightly of pale malts, with some hops input, but not as much as I would hope for. Taste starts with some pale malts as well, which are quickly overpowered by hops bitterness. The hops character in the flavor is somewhat generic, but tending towards pine, and not so much the fruity. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, making the bitterness more palatable, and as such, drinkability is good as well. Reasonably standard American IPA, for better or worse. (681 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz. bottle courtesy of hoppedup in BIF 21.

Golden body adorned by a frothy white head that leaves an initial thick ring of lace with some smaller ones on the way down.

Smell is a cournicopia of hops. Flowery, citric, piney, pretty much everything. Something else I can't pick out, but it isn't malt.

Taste is pretty well under control as far as the hops go. Nice bitterness greets the tongue and fades into a slightly citric hop flavor with some decent malt. Finishes with a flare of bitterness that doesn't haunt you or kill the palate.

Not an uber bitter IPA but packed with hop flavor and bitterness. Easy to drink and good to relax yourself right before bed. (677 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

A great example where the first taste to last taste have exactly the opposite effect. At first I said, wow, this tastes great, what kind of style is this malty brew? After a few more sips and relaization this is an IPA, things really changed. Chewy mouthfeel with no real hoppiness for the style. Okay appearance of a thick head and nice carbonation. One of my least favorite IPAs. (381 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear golden with a white low head which was persistent to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a low caramel maltiness and a citrusy hop nose.

The flavor was malty on the palate with a lower level of bittering than expected. The hop flavors were medium and citrusy, but also somewhat earthy and interesting. The malt and hop balance was just toward hops, but the malt backbone was noticeable and fairly well done.

The finish was dry with lasting lightly citrus bittering and flavor ito the aftertaste. The body was medium and well done. Would probably put this beer just into the realm of an IPA. The bittering and aroma could certainly be more agressive, but the beer is very solid and easy to drink.

12 ounce bottle, no freshness dating. (796 characters)

Highland Kashmir IPA from Highland Brewing